2012 Jeep Wrangler and T@B 400

JT4JT4 Member Posts: 42
Hi Everyone.  We negotiated a purchase of a very lightly used T@B 400.  We intend to close the deal very soon.  I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with the factory towing package.  My towing capacity seems ok.  I am more concerned about the tongue weight.  It seems to exceed my rated capacity by 25 lbs or so.  I am by far not towing knowledgeable but do you think I need a WDH for this?  Is anyone here experienced in towing a 400 with a Jeep Wrangler?  I plan to normally tow within Florida  so it will be fairly flat.  I have the electrical connections and brake controller covered.  Thanks!

Juan

Comments

• JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    You are WAY overloaded.  A 400 can have a tongue weight of 475 lbs or more.  Your Wrangler has a maximum  hitch weight of 350.  A WDH will not fix this.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • JT4JT4 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for your thoughts JEB.  Perhaps I am not understanding something.  The Nucamp site shows the “wet tongue weight” to be 377 I believe.  I am assuming wet is loaded with basics or liquids in the tanks correct?  Is that number wrong?
    edited June 2019
    That number is wrong.  NuCamp made an epic goof.  People complained something didn't seem right in the real world.  When users and eventually nuCamp actually measured tongue weights they were about 100 pounds higher than they expected.  Take a look at the website now. 

EDIT:  Scratch that.  The website had been updated for 2020.  The 2020s were modified precisely to fix the overloaded tongue.  2019 and earlier had much heavier tongues because the AC was in the front, the dinette table was heavier.  The AC was moved under the bed for 2020.
    Wow!   I hope that there is a solution for me.   Thanks for your info.  
  • 1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    JT4,

You say 'lightly used'.  What year T@B 400 are you looking at?

The 2018-2019's all have ~475 lb tongue weight. The 2020's were updated with multiple changes in the design to reduce that tongue weight to ~375 lb.  

2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited June 2019
    JT4 said:
    Wow!   I hope that there is a solution for me.   Thanks for your info.  
    The solution looks like this:

Also, towing a 400 with a Wrangler came up in this recent discussion thread:

Some discussion of tongue weight here:

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks RKJ.  Those Gladiators are sexy.  Do they have the right tongue weight capacity?  I will look it up later.
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    JT4 said:
    Thanks RKJ.  Those Gladiators are sexy.  Do they have the right tongue weight capacity?  I will look it up later.
    If properly equipped, yes, the Gladiator can handle a tongue weight of around 700 lb.

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    rkj__ said:
    JT4 said:
    If properly equipped, yes, the Gladiator can handle a tongue weight of around 700 lb.

Yes.  That's the spec for the Rubicon.  The Overland is a bit less (600).  The Sports a bit more (765).  The Gladiator also has a 1600 lb payload.  It's a beast.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited June 2019
    Man, that Gladiator is tempting looking. Must remember to look into that.

@JT4 From what I understand, “wet” tongue weight covers propane and possibly fresh water only, not anything you’ve loaded into the trailer. So even the 2020 400 is above the limit for your Jeep. WD hitches don’t actually reduce tongue weight, BTW, so they aren’t of any help in your situation.  Either you’ll need to upgrade to a new tow vehicle or downgrade the trailer to something smaller.

Sorry. 😕
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Thank you Victoria.  I am not ready for a new TV.   It is a shame but we will likely have to go with a 320. We just have to decide which build.  We really liked the 400.  
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @JT4 I’m so sorry. I did the same, I’d love a 400, but in the end I wasn’t ready to shell out on both a new TV and a new trailer. I love my 320, but I can easily see upgrading the vehicle next year and the trailer a year or two beyond that.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2019
    Hi JT4,
    I was torn between purchasing a 320 and a 400 (both 2018s) when we were looking at the T@Bs last summer.  I actually preferred the 320, but my boyfriend really liked the 400.  My TV is a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which we were told would havew no trouble pulling a 400. But then I learned what the actual tongue weight was. 
    So I ended up going with the 320, but we also bought the side tent addition, which basically doubles our basecamp space. The best part is that I'm getting about 17mpg while towing the T@B.
    We just completed a few minor improvements this spring, and couldn't be happier with our choice. Sometimes smaller is actually the best solution.

Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    edited May 2020
    Hello Everyone.  I have been occasionally lurking in these forums and much has happened since I last posted.  The biggest thing is while I still maintain a Florida residence we moved to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  This is a much better place for outdoor living and Nucamp RV's.  Second thing is we just put a deposit down on a new 2021 T@B Boondock.  The unit is still in production but will be solid Navy Blue sides with a silver roof.  We expect to have it in about 2 weeks.  Saying that we are very excited is not enough to truly convey how we feel.  We still have a few things from our T@G that we will use but I am looking forward to gearing up for our new toy because we intend to camp while bringing her home from Idaho.  I will post a thread in the introduction group  tonight with many of my questions and thoughts.   I think that is the most appropriate group to start with.   I would welcome any advice or comments. Thanks!

Oh I almost forgot.  I bought a 2017 Honda Ridgeline so that will be a great TV.
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    As with most modern vehicles, the Jeep Wrangler has a maximum rated tongue weight. It has a maximum trailer weight, AND a maximum trailer frontal cross section. For the Wrangler, it's 32 square feet. You can find that number under towing capacity in the owner's manual. 32 square feet is a trailer 6 feet wide and 5 feet tall.
    I'm aware that many folks either don't know that or simply ignore it. 
    I know quite a few folks who own and pull larger trailers than that with Wranglers. It's not my job to police the RV community but I think it is important to let folks know the whole story. At 65 miles per hour, wind resistance has a MUCH higher effect on a vehicle than the trailer's weight.
    I like bicycling and use this analogy:
    When riding my bike in a stiff breeze, I'd much rather do it with a backpack full of rocks than a 5 lb sheet of plywood 4 feet square. You get the idea.....
    WilliamA 

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    WilliamA said:
    As with most modern vehicles, the Jeep Wrangler has a maximum rated tongue weight. It has a maximum trailer weight, AND a maximum trailer frontal cross section. For the Wrangler, it's 32 square feet. You can find that number under towing capacity in the owner's manual. 32 square feet is a trailer 6 feet wide and 5 feet tall.
    I'm aware that many folks either don't know that or simply ignore it. 
    I know quite a few folks who own and pull larger trailers than that with Wranglers. It's not my job to police the RV community but I think it is important to let folks know the whole story. At 65 miles per hour, wind resistance has a MUCH higher effect on a vehicle than the trailer's weight.
    I like bicycling and use this analogy:
    When riding my bike in a stiff breeze, I'd much rather do it with a backpack full of rocks than a 5 lb sheet of plywood 4 feet square. You get the idea.....
    WilliamA 

I believe this. I pulled my 320 with a 2011 Wrangler Sahara at first. It did not have the faftory tow package but I did add an OEM transmission cooler. It was still a poor experience. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I pull a 320 with a 2018 Jk  with no trouble. It can even tow with cruise on. I do keep it very light, well under the 2000 pound limit. Have made 1400 mile trips with it. The front of the TAB is not flat like some rv trailers but more slopped for less air resistance. All that being said if you don't feel comfortable towing get a larger tow. Art  
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    Thanks everyone but as mentioned in my last post I bought a Honda Ridgeline AWD and would have no problem towing either a 320 or 400.  I realize many tow 400 or larger trailers with a Wrangler or other vehicles not technically rated.  I would not do that especially in the case that there is an issue where there may be an accident or something similar.  I do not want to be accused of not being equipped properly.  I would always opt to operate within proper parameters.
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    JT4 I tow our 2018 320S with a 2017 RTL-E and average between 17.5 - 19.5 mpg but have seen as high as 21 mpg towing in 50-55 mph range. I use a Scangauge to monitor ATF temps. Tows like a dream often with tongue weight approaching 300# with two bikes on the front. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
    Thanks for your post rcuomo.  My TV is also a 2017 RTL,  glad to hear that it is working well for you.  We are looking forward to it.  I would be interested in knowing more about Scangauge. 
  • XanaXandXanaXand Member Posts: 4
    How did it go with your Jeep? I've got a 2019 JLU MOAB with the tow package, and want to buy the newer 2021 or 2022 TAB 400 with the lower tongue weight. I'm getting yes, no, and am I crazy for responses.

Thanks! Glad to join these forums BTW.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    If you keep your trailer loaded on the light side, and your tow speed down to 50-60mph you should be fine.  A Wrangler is not the best choice for a tow vehicle like a TaB400, bit it is doable, and several TaBers here tow with a Jeep, more 320s than 400s.  I felt the JLU was on the edge tow rating wise, and opted for a Gladiator, which is a better tow vehicle with its longer wheel base and truck rear end, designed for towing larger loads.  Given the choice, I would go for the 2022 TaB to get the new one piece composite floor, which does not have any wood in it, so no worries about it getting wet.
     Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Hey XanaXand, TabbyShack here....we were exchanging PMs on the Wrangler forum earlier. I just wanted to let you know who I am over here on this forum.  
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    Hey XanaXand, TabbyShack here....we were exchanging PMs on the Wrangler forum earlier. I just wanted to let you know who I am over here on this forum.  
    If you don't mind sharing, which forum and usernames? I've been searching for info on the JK forum.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    We have a good towing a TaB with a Jeep discussion going here, let’s not move it elsewhere…  :|
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.