Options

What Is A Level Trailer?

We we're playing with the trailer yesterday in the driveway and wondering what exactly is a "level trailer".  We've never really worried about level much before.  If everything works, a/c drains, and we don't roll out of bed, we call it good.  But, being bored I got out my carpenters levels.  Level floor doesn't mean level anything else.  Level refrigerator means unlevel floor.  Level a/c won't drain.  It was a fun excercise, and I guess "learning experience.  It brought back memories of when my wife was hanging pictures in our sailboat and brought out a level.  What do you call "level"?
2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
Odessa, Fl.  

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ha!

Since we seldom use the AC, we call 'level' the floor of the fridge. I'm pretty sure the countertop corresponds with it (or 'close enough for Union work'....)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The “level” exercise as you note is a learning experience and for first time newbie trailer owners can be a mystery as there is a method to the madness if you will.  

Before unhooking the key is to check for “level” side to side on the trailer and use leveling pads under one side of the trailer as needed.  Once the side to side level is attained I can place my wheel chocks and unhook from the truck, then adjust the tongue jack to attain level from front to rear of the trailer.  That in a nutshell is it....  For those of us with showers it impacts water flow as it drains and may be the difference in water collecting on one side or properly draining into the gray tank.  And not to forget sleeping comfortably and the other issues you noted.

There is definitely a process to learn here and a method to the madness in attaining “level.”  But once you unhook, realize you messed up (trailer is leaning honey!), re-hook up and strain that side to side level, etc. then things finally sink in, you get it and move on to the next chore. 🤣👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,473
    Ha, you noticed that too, @GatorEgg?  :-)

I use a short torpedo level and level side-to-side using the top edge of the fridge. Not only is the fridge apparently fussy about such things, it's a convenient eye-level location when standing outside the door.

For front-to-back I stick the level on the frame where I can see it while I crank the tongue up or down.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I use a small level too, but also have the adhesive stick on levels on the front of the trailer.  One is inside the tub at the front and the other on the side of the front of the trailer frame.  Makes this task fast and easy.  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    I place my small level right on the triangular flat bit of the trailer tongue.. just aft of the hitch where it's flat...

I do as @Michigan_Mike stated.. put down some leveling "lego" blocks and drive one wheel up on it to get mostly level left to right.. if there's a teeny bit of tilt, I prefer it to tilt back toward the driver side as the AC drain does best with that

Then I disconnect and turn the level so it reads back to front and use the tongue jack to level it.. and then pitch ever so slightly forward because again the AC drain is biased toward forward and driver side and that's the biggest potential source of issues for me as I rarely use the shower and the toilet seems to drain fine.. the fridge has never had an issue with the slight tilts I've had.. so long as I'm not feeling like I'm about to roll out of bed I'm happy.

Only after I've gotten that done will I lower the stabilizer jacks to kind of firm it up and keep it from rocking on the suspension as I move around in there

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,602

Your original method of 'was is level' is most likely fine.  My method is to get level enough for Fridge to operate and then to confirm trailer tongue is slightly lower then level so A/C drip pan will drain.

Fridge Manual:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Huh. I use my phone to level (with an app that shows degrees and direction off level), placed on the floor about a foot inside the door and midway between the cabinets. If that’s level, so is the fridge in my case. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2019
    @GatorEgg, very good point re what does "Ievel" actually mean?

I initially checked the level of my T@B 320S (side-to-side and front-to-rear) using a carpenter's level on the inside floor and a smaller level at other locations to double-check the level status (e.g., inside the refrigerator [most critical], kitchen counter, front frame, etc..)  Once I was satisfied, I mounted small bubble gauges on the driver's side of my Boondock frame so I can see the settings while unhitching.  I followed up by checking the level visually by parking on what appeared to be a very level parking lot.  All looked good and the levels make it very easy to check the camper's level status while unhitching.

I agree with @Michigan_Mike's comment about leveling side-to-side first, using some form of leveling block(s) or other type leveler on the low side wheel to raise the camper.  Then, unhitch and level front-to-rear by raising/lowering the front jack stand as needed.  Also, I agree that if you are going to be using the air conditioner, it is a good idea to slightly lower the front end for proper drainage of the A/C drip pan.  (NOTE: in the photo below, my 320S was still connected to my truck, but leveled side-to-side, so the front-to-back level is up a couple inches.  Once unhitched,  it is very easy to crank down the front end of the camper to get it to an (albeit unscientifically achieved) level position.) 

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Bayliss  All your explanation is the way I do it.  We even have same levels.  I agree the dominant factor is the refrigerator.  I was really just musing about what the Owners Manual calls level.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited July 2019
    We are using this electronic level sensor via bluetooth with android app to tell us how to adjust left-right and front-rear axes (see page 2 here)..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/109938#Comment_109938

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 309
    From everything I have ever read about leveling the fridge, it would have to so far out of level to affect the fridge performance that you would feel like you were walking drunk roaming around the camper (hard to do in  a T@B).   My point is don't overthink the fridge leveling.  Level the floor, the stove-top, the bed, or whatever trips your trigger.  
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2024 TaB 400 with all the option packages (full lithium), 
    2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow Package.  
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Because I use a power mover and a BAL Leveler, I unhook first in the front of the campsite, drive the camper into an exact spot (with two fingers), then back the truck in out of the road. Then level front to back, then put the BAL on the low side and crank it up. I have a 12V fridge so not worried about level too bad there, but initially set  level on the CoolCat so that it drains properly, then put stick on bubble levels on the top of the wheel wells, and on the front handles.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,507
    I level at the cooktop because that's what bothers me the most when it's not level.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past