What I Did To My T@B Today

GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
edited July 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
  On a couple other forums I watch/belong to, there is a "sticky" thread at the top of the forum.  It's titled "What I Did to My ...".  I didn't see one here so I figured I'd throw this out here and start it off.

1.  I removed a couple of the meaningless stickers on the unit to clean up the appearance.

2.  I moved the Yakima wind deflector from the back of the basket(?), to the front of the basket, to act as a wind deflector.

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
Odessa, Fl.  

Comments

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I've never moved the wind deflector, thought it was humorous. The whole rack is a bit of a joke, but we've made some use of it for bikes and chairs/rugs.

Please post you MPG gain in the TV mileage thread! 😁
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Back on track...today’s Tab project was trying to minimize water pump noise. It was only marginally successful. Sigh. 

Insulated the Pex pipes in the wall behind the shower, that part worked relatively well. Started insulating pipes in the water pump compartment, but not sure that really made any difference. And loosening the screws a tiny bit holding the pump to the wall backfired...it actually seemed louder after that. Going to take another stab at it tomorrow.

Also got to experience the “joy” of overfilling the fresh water tank for the first time and having it burp all over me. At least it was pretty warm out! 😂
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2019
    At least it was fresh water!

What I did... 
    Topped off the cells on my batteries, in preparation for checking the specific gravity, and equalizing...
    VictoriaP said:

Also got to experience the “joy” of overfilling the fresh water tank for the first time and having it burp all over me. At least it was pretty warm out! 😂

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    I like it.  If you don't use the table this reconfiguration gives you more storage with about the same usable space.  And if you can just remove to go back to the original configuration what's not to like?  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
    Ok @GatorEgg, this topic might just get me to do all the little Tab projects I've lined up.... Not sure that my DW will appreciate it though... Her priorities are a little different!

I finally got the shelf installed, in the kitchen cupboard, taking advantage of the newfound space that the trapless drain provides!

(Thank you @GatorEgg!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    VictoriaP Is the water pump mounted with a 'rubber' vibration dampener spider? The pump manufacturer probably can supply one, if not. Also, you should consider installing an accumulator tank if you have space. This will reduce the cycling of the pump and isolate the vibration passed into the plumbing lines.
    davel4wa said:
    VictoriaP Is the water pump mounted with a 'rubber' vibration dampener spider? The pump manufacturer probably can supply one, if not. Also, you should consider installing an accumulator tank if you have space. This will reduce the cycling of the pump and isolate the vibration passed into the plumbing lines.
    Yes. It was recommended in a few posts to loosen the screws a touch as they’re often overtightened...but not in my case, so they’ve been tightened back to their original state. An accumulator tank is on the someday list. I’m honestly surprised though that with all the improvements in RVs over the 20 years I was away, no one seems to have come up with a quieter water pump!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Today’s mods:
    - Removed velcro for curved cushions from walls. Now I need almond colored caulk because the tiny staple holes are almost as annoying as the velcro. No pics for that one.
    - Installed bath grab handle. Honestly, something along these lines should be stock! (Yes, it’s straight, the camera wasn’t.)
    - Installed decorator film on shower. Kind of a pain in the backside, but came out better than I expected. Pics in natural light + overhead, and backlit with bath light on.

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • LisaTucsonLisaTucson Member Posts: 60
    @VictoriaP Can you share where you got the bath grab handle? And any tips for installing?
    Also, LOVE the decorator film for the shower door!! Will you share where you got that and any tips?
    Thanks!

Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
    2016 T@B 320 S Outback ("Scout")
    TV: 2013 Lexus 450h
    "You never know when you're having good luck." ~ Unknown
    @VictoriaP Can you share where you got the bath grab handle? And any tips for installing?
    Also, LOVE the decorator film for the shower door!! Will you share where you got that and any tips?
    Thanks!

Both from Amazon.
    Film: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFN3B8K/
    Grab bar: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076CDMWNW/

If you search this forum for “bathroom grab handle”, you’ll see what others have used. I went with an ADA style grab bar because I wanted plenty of room to wrap my hand around, and I wasn’t sure I’d get that going with more of a handle style. It’s probably just a matter of preference though.

Install tips...get someone else to deal with it? 😁

The film is fairly simple, clean the glass, cut the film mostly to size, spray with soapy water, stick the film up and smooth with a squeegee. Use a plastic or metal cutting guide (a ruler will work) and a sharp knife to trim the edges. There are quite a few videos on YouTube on how best to apply. It’s a nuisance to get all the bubbles out, but just keep working them towards the edges.

The handle, well. I took off the TV and mount a while back, so I just unscrewed the plastic “tray” behind there and peered through the hole at where the plywood for the mount is attached. Measured several times, then drilled my first pilot hole for the top most screw...no problem. Out of the six screws total, five found the plywood. The last, very bottom one missed by millimeters. I probably should have redrilled all of them at that point, but didn’t. The five are enough to hold it solid even with my not insignificant weight pulling on it, but obviously it would be best to get them all embedded into solid wood instead of just the thin luan. 

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @VictoriaP Great information! Thanks for taking your time to respond. Hope you’re having a great summer up there. I used to live in Olympia.
    Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
    @VictoriaP That’s what I LOVED about the NW. Enjoy. And BTW, brilliant on the magnetic compartment door holder!
    Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
    @VictoriaP,  your shower skin looks great!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:
    Thanks! Figured it adds a little visual interest to that corner.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    edited July 2019
    I got rid of those funky Lagun table adjusters for simple wing nuts.  Now I can mount and lower the table outside to a reasonable height without hitting fender flare.

Made a trip to Wally World to find just the right size box for our Weber Q1000.  Just enough extra room for a couple emergency "green" bottles and grilling utensils.  Drilled a couple holes in bottom to expel propane leakage. 

Odessa, Fl.  

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited July 2019
    @GatorEgg,
    We have been thinking of those adjustment handles as well.  I’ve thought of something like this, if it would work...

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    TerryV6 said:
    @GatorEgg,
    We have been thinking of those adjustment handles as well.  I’ve thought of something like this, if it would work...

Nice. Where did you find that?  Thread needs to be m8 x 1.25 

Odessa, Fl.  

I was going to look around.  Thanks for thread size...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

We put on a shower screen too.  So far so good.  We like the look.

VictoriaP said:
    ChanW said:
    Thanks! Figured it adds a little visual interest to that corner.

I agree...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

“What I did... 
    Topped off the cells on my batteries, in preparation for checking the specific gravity, and equalizing...”

I should do that today.  Thanks for the reminder.  We had a big storm and there is lots to cleanup.  Priorities...  battery first...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    @GatorEgg so what is the size of the box you got for q1000? Need one too
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
    @VictoriaP,
    We kept the Velcro.  My wife added appliqués ( I had to look how to spell that one) that are removable if we want to use the cushion back. In the morning I like the extra back support.
    You can see them in shower door pic.
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    TerryV6 said:
    @VictoriaP,
    We kept the Velcro.  My wife added appliqués ( I had to look how to spell that one) that are removable if we want to use the cushion back. In the morning I like the extra back support.
    You can see them in shower door pic.
    Those are darling! And I like your colorful shower door film. I find the cushions stay up fine on their own...at least, they did three previous RV’s that didn’t have or need velcro. I also packed away the curved cushions along with everything else that I know I’ll never use, since I sleep wheel to wheel and leave the bed in place across the back. Next task is adding foam weatherstripping to the Action Packers on the platform. Started that the other day and ran out of foam before I could finish.

@GatorEgg Would also love to know which bin size you used for the q1000. I wish the old wheeled duffle Weber used to make was still available for these.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Wow @Verna,
    Thank you very much.  Jody is very happy to solve (for her) a problem with what she calls our devil table. She came up with that, not me.  In seriousness, we like it...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2019
    @VictoriaP, I recently bought the same magnets (but just one pair) for my storage door and plan to do that mod before my next trip in a couple weeks.  However, I never considered mounting the magnets close together like you did.  Excellent idea!  I too bought some heavy duty 3M tape and am wondering if it will keep the magnets attached over the long haul.  I've used the tape previously and it has worked well.  But, if all else fails, the short screws (with a dab of caulking) shouldn't be a problem going through the Azdel without creating any unwanted problems.  Thanks for sharing.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I think those magnets would work nicely to hold up the hatch over the toilet.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio