nüCampRV to discontinue the T@B CS and T@B U Models Nov 1, 2019 (CS-S remains as an option)

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
Per Scott Hubble, CEO of nüCampRV, the T@B CS (Clam Shell) and the T@B U models will be discontinued. Per Scott, the numbers simply didn't justify continuing production of these two models.

I did read on Facebook that if you are ready to order, you can order one of these models until November 1st, 2019, or you could check with your local dealer to see if they have any on their lots. 

Edited to add:

The CS-S will remain an option. The CS (non-shower) and the U (non-shower) model will be discontinued beginning 11-1-19. 
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Yup, that is right in the niche where the Barefoot will fit.  I predict the entire 320 line will go away soon.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I think the 320 will stay. The European 320 has remained, and while I don’t know the exact numbers, the 320 and the T@G Teardrop still make up most of the production numbers at nüCamp. The Barefoot is a long way from being the sturdy mainstay for the nüCamp Line. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    edited October 2019
    So sad that they aren't interested in keeping current owners...truthfully the clamshell was never given a chance...bigger bed and I'm sure they would have sold more....so glad it is only the closet part of the clamshell...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Do we understand correctly? The only floor plan will be the 320 S.  
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited October 2019
    @Verna Is the CS-S affected, or just the no bathroom version?

I totally understand discontinuing the U, as the numbers sold new in the last two years was likely in the very low double digits. Dealers didn’t even bother to stock them. But CS units as a whole...well, here in the NW, that’s got to be at least a third of new sales and possibly higher. Not sure about nationwide, but certainly they have a near cult-like following and are a good chunk of the owners active online. If they really are getting rid of both clamshell models and not just the no-bath model, that’s pretty stunning to me.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • frankjrfrankjr Member Posts: 1
    If true not sure I like the direction things are going. Seems that the uniqueness is being bred out of the product. 
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited October 2019
    The outside kitchen was the primary attraction of the T@B for us.  No other trailer this size offers anything like it.

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I am not surprised to hear this. Yup, they will lose some customers, but it was pretty evident at uCamp, that the 400 was their best selling trailer and it makes since if 320 CS numbers are low to streamline. The 400 has canabilized some of their 320 sales, I am willing to bet. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

@VictoriaP I have asked for a clarification. I will post the answer when I receive it. 

(I’ll be driving all day, so it might come later.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • monamona Member Posts: 240
    Sincerely doubt that 320’s, css or 320s, are going to disappear. Sounds more like...you get a wet bath, you get a wet bath, everybody gets a wet bath!

jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    edited October 2019
    The way I am reading it , is they are discontinuing the models without the bathroom . Not the 320 CS-S or 320S platform .  Probably trying to streamline production for the models that are the best sellers . 

I just hope this is not a sign of things to come .
    Like other RV manufacturers , when demand starts to go up , so does production . Usually that move also coincides with quality going downhill as corners start to get "cut", and QC goes down. 

They probably need "more hands on deck" for Avia production . 
    I personally feel the Avia , was a bad choice for nuCamp. I am sure it looks great "on paper" for nucamp , but their niche market IS the teardrop. Once they start to stray too far from the "core" of their appeal .........they are "just another RV manufacturer" . 
    They are clearly going after Airstream with the Avia ........but an Airstream it. is. NOT . For 60K , we would be getting an Airstream . 

We purchased a 2019 320S, and while we didn't know it at the time , I think we got the "last" model year of the true classic 320 . 2020's were already out, but we hated the drastic interior color change and were not thrilled with the new a/c system . We looked pretty hard for a 2019 320S  , and luckily found the perfect 320S in the colors we wanted , with a bunch of great options for a great "leftover price" .
    If we could not find a 2019 , I dont think we would have gone with the 2020 ..........and certainly not what looks to be the 2021 model . 

I think nuCamp might be straying too far off the path they came from . 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
    2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
    2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
    2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    If you look at the nuCamp RV website, they refer to the CS and CSS as the “clamshell model”.  The clamshell has always had a limited market relative to the 320 model by a large margin.  And the U model probably also has a limited market as the wet bath is popular.  So, going forward they will offer the 320, 400, Avia and the Barefoot.  Those who want a rear galley will look at the TaG models.  Everything changes eventually.  So glad we have our CSS.  

There are a lot of small, light weight trailers now.  I am sure NuCamp knows the market and they are smart to be proactive to channel their production lines.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @rfuss928 and @VictoriaP I totally agree with both of you...the clamshell is unique and I definitely agree that the dealers not carrying them instock affects the sales...not everyone wants to order and wait for them, our dealer in Ontario ordered one for the RV show and apparently it's sold...we were at the first day of the show and the interest in the clamshell surprised him...also gave us a chance to finally lay down in one and we FIT!...was so looking forward to being an owner..   :(
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2019
    You can always buy a pre-owned clamshell model.  They are still out there!  4 available now on our forum For Sale thread.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    As implied by others, the CS and the CS-S are not the same model. I would not make assumptions beyond what was specifically stated until we get confirmation from nuCamp.
    I'll bet a nickel it's the models without a wet-bath that are going away. While these do appeal to certain potential buyers, the demographics of this forum suggest that demand is too low to justify continued production.
    2015 T@B S
    And @ScottG is correct. 

The non-shower models will no longer be manufactured. The CS-S (Clam Shell with Shower) will remain in production. 

I have some production figures now:

“Out of the last 1000 tabs built, less than 25 were either the cs or the u.”

.....the non-shower models “only constitutes about 2% of the population, it simply doesn't make business sense.“

And my suggestion....if you don’t want a shower but you want a CS model, do as others have done and turn the shower into a storage area. @MandyLea does not use the 400’s bathroom as intended, but uses it for a closet and storage. Purely a suggestion on my part. 

The CS-S will remain an option. The CS (non-shower) and the U (non-shower) model will be discontinued beginning 11-1-19. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Thanks Verna!  
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Thanks for the clarification, @Verna. Those numbers are pretty stark (and not at all surprising to me). Though I’m not a clamshell owner, I’m glad to see they aren’t eliminating it altogether!

@ontheroad Interesting that the Ontario dealer doesn’t normally carry the clamshell, hopefully that changes soon now that they’ve seen the interest. The main dealer in Puget Sound caries a pretty decent mix of both 320 types, and watching their online inventory last year, plus meeting some owners and hearing their feedback, the CS-S is pretty popular around here. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @VictoriaP...our dealer had never had a request for one before...well other than myself...but currently a T@g max ml owner...he had a request and ordered it for a customer.. unfortunately you are also talking about currency differences so they don't carry the same inventory as a U.S. dealer...our dealer also only started carrying the nuCamp line in 2016/2017...we knew more about the T@g than they did when we ordered ours...

Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    B0atguy said:
    The way I am reading it , is they are discontinuing the models without the bathroom . Not the 320 CS-S or 320S platform .  Probably trying to streamline production for the models that are the best sellers . 

I just hope this is not a sign of things to come .
    Like other RV manufacturers , when demand starts to go up , so does production . Usually that move also coincides with quality going downhill as corners start to get "cut", and QC goes down. 

They probably need "more hands on deck" for Avia production . 
    I personally feel the Avia , was a bad choice for nuCamp. I am sure it looks great "on paper" for nucamp , but their niche market IS the teardrop. Once they start to stray too far from the "core" of their appeal .........they are "just another RV manufacturer" . 
    They are clearly going after Airstream with the Avia ........but an Airstream it. is. NOT . For 60K , we would be getting an Airstream . 

We purchased a 2019 320S, and while we didn't know it at the time , I think we got the "last" model year of the true classic 320 . 2020's were already out, but we hated the drastic interior color change and were not thrilled with the new a/c system . We looked pretty hard for a 2019 320S  , and luckily found the perfect 320S in the colors we wanted , with a bunch of great options for a great "leftover price" .
    If we could not find a 2019 , I dont think we would have gone with the 2020 ..........and certainly not what looks to be the 2021 model . 

I think nuCamp might be straying too far off the path they came from . 
    I think they are more competing with Lance and other fiberglass trailers. I am not sure Airstream really competes with anyone.

I love the changes in the new prototype and would consider trading up. Tgere are enough people in love with the 1980's interior look, I wouldn't have much trouble selling, lol.

nuCamp isn't straying as much as they are evolving, which is natural. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• myjossimyjossi Member Posts: 7
    I’m very sad to see the demise of the CS. I now have my second (‘06 and now ‘19). I will not buy a CSS if I look to upgrade again - the shower closes the trailer in too much. I don’t want that chunk of airspace or the ac space closing the camper in. A very disappointing decision. 
  • SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    One of the reasons we selected the T@B was the light color interior.  So many campers we've looked at have dark cabinetry, dark paneling, and a lack of windows and then their tinted.  We're looking at upgrading to a 400.  One of the reasons we are looking at special order is to get the tan, light, interior.  The only camper we have looked at that was lighter inside is the Airstream Nest.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I'm happy to hear the CS-S will stay alive for at least a little while longer.  There really is no alternative on the market. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2019
    myjossi said:
    I’m very sad to see the demise of the CS. I now have my second (‘06 and now ‘19). I will not buy a CSS if I look to upgrade again - the shower closes the trailer in too much. I don’t want that chunk of airspace or the ac space closing the camper in. A very disappointing decision. 
    We totally agree.
    One of the most common reactions we get when new owners of "S" models check out our T@B is "you have so much room".  When we show the easy access porta-potty  we here "well that's all you need".  We agree.
    At TearStock 2015 Scott Hubble told me 95% of the orders then included the wet bath.  I understand the business is market driven so my surprise is the lack of demand. 
    We most often stay in campgrounds with toilet and shower facilities.  When those things are lacking we get by the same way we have for years tent camping.  We don't desire a wet bath or the plumbing and tanks that accompany it.  The interior space and storage that becomes available without it makes an even bigger difference in the CS model. 
    I guess we'll have to keep SUNT@B going until it is as vintage as it looks.

• myjossimyjossi Member Posts: 7
    And your SUNT@B is a beauty, glad it is still working out well for you, Robert. ‘06 if I remember correctly. 
  • linolino Member Posts: 224
    I got caught up in models being discontinued when I went to order a Q model only to find out they stopped taking orders that week

Luckily Patsy had two in the lot and saved me one. Ours has the S model kitchen with a long counter where the shower would be. We love the open plan and don’t need a bathroom or closet. Using the wet bath in a S model as a closet would kill the open space for us

But I completely understand why they would discontinue models without a bathroom since almost nobody wants one without a bathroom
  • MandyLeaMandyLea Member Posts: 52
    Certainly a bummer. The 320 U was probably our favorite camper of all! But I completely understand the business decision. Like @Verna said, you have to modify things to make them your own, and maybe that is turning your bathroom into a closet :)
    2018 Black T@B Outback | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Love & Light!
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    With sufficient motivation, I suspect a moderately skilled carpenter could remove the bath entirely and built something else in its place.
    Does nuCamp still take custom orders? I'm thinking not so much being able to order a finished U-model, but maybe rather an S-model with some things (like the bath fixtures and associated walls) left out.
    2015 T@B S
    As I watched the simple T@B camper evolve into a sophisticated RV I often thought there was still a place for a "T@B Spartan" in the model line.  Sort of a stand up version of the current T@G with fewer and simpler amenities than current T@Bs.  Probably a CS with limited or no media, no Alde, minimal plumbing, no waste tanks.  A basic, versatile interior layout easily adapted to owner customization.   Lightweight simplicity being the dominating design philosophy from the wheels to the roof vent.
    Apparently my vision is not what the market is demanding.  Good thing I already have mine....

• MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    rfuss928 said:
    As I watched the simple T@B camper evolve into a sophisticated RV I often thought there was still a place for a "T@B Spartan" in the model line.  Sort of a stand up version of the current T@G with fewer and simpler amenities than current T@Bs.  Probably a CS with limited or no media, no Alde, minimal plumbing, no waste tanks.  A basic, versatile interior layout easily adapted to owner customization.   Lightweight simplicity being the dominating design philosophy from the wheels to the roof vent.
    Apparently my vision is not what the market is demanding.  Good thing I already have mine....
    I agree with you 100%
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL