Options

2021 T@B S - Replacing the 320 S? (Trailer Life article)

BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
edited April 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
Saw this in the February edition of Trailer Life regarding new RVs for 2020.  It says that this revision, the 2021 T@B S, replaces the 320 S and provides information about new modifications.  I have not previously read about some of these changes (e.g., the changes to the bed area.)  Also, the photo of the interior depicted in the article does not appear to be consistent with what it should look like if the entry door is on the passenger side as depicted in the photo of the exterior (unless there is a full length mirror on that door.)  Additionally, it appears that there is some sort of cabinet on the left side of the photo, plus the front counter and window are configured differently than previous models and is not consistent with the photo of the exterior.

Any comments or insight on these changes?

If interested, here is a link to the previous forum discussion on what the prototype looked like.  It is different from what is described in the Trailer Life article:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9925/new-2021-t-b-320s-prototype-video/p1

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Haydocy RV in Columbus, Ohio put this YouTube video together. The information given by Haydocy is the only information I have, and the link was sent to me by another T@B owner today:

https://youtu.be/AkstkKOcxjE

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Thank you, @Verna.  The Haydocy video is much more consistent with the original prototype video that I included a link to.  It is also significantly different from the depiction of the interior included in the Trailer Life article.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2020
    the inside picture in your magazine appears to the barefoot.   which is also coming in 2021?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Yes, the picture on the left is the Barefoot.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Yes, the picture on the left is the Barefoot.

I was going to guess that they reversed the photo based on the sink stove layout, but this makes even more sense.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2020
    Well! I'm glad we got ours before they removed all that storage space! I treasure the storage space in our S-Maxx ("320"), and have always felt they'd done a pretty good job at using the space. 

I suppose maybe for a single person the reduced storage space wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Good for weekend jaunts?
    Good intro to their product line for a customer to potentially upgrade to the 400?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    ChanW said:

I suppose maybe for a single person the reduced storage space wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Um...no. I travel with a pretty stripped down setup, and I use pretty much every inch of storage in a 2019. I can’t imagine how folks in the 2020 who’ve lost the big storage under the dinette manage, let alone how people with the 2021 will with even less. Guess everything goes in the tow vehicle?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, I missed the previous conversation about the 2021, referenced by the O.P.

The only feature I see here that appeals to me is the split couch back. The bed slides are a nice idea but they seem to be plastic... Seem kind of junky in the video, but maybe not, 'in person'. 

I can see the attraction to not having to deal with a black tank, but how is a cassette toilet better? Is it all contained in a bag? Would it be enough capacity for a week or two boondocking? I don't know anything about cassette toilets. EDIT - education re cassette toilets here: http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/cassette-toilets-pros-cons-and-a-few-tips/ I see it's actually just a removable black tank. Kinda cool.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited January 2020
    @ChanW Cassette toilets are very common in Europe, so much so that Thetford actually makes a sort of reverse vending machine for emptying them that’s apparently pretty commonly found at campgrounds there. There’s video on YouTube.

I have mixed emotions on them; as a solo camper dealing with a disabililty who currently can’t lift more than 20lbs or so easily or routinely, dealing with the weight of a filled 5gal cassette would be difficult, if not impossible. That means I’d have to empty it even more frequently than the 8 gal black tank now. But in theory, you have more options for dumping a cassette frequently.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    spkbeamspkbeam Member Posts: 15
    Pro and Cons. Short comment. After looking at it.Wife and I like our older one better. More storage. Don't like some of the changes.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited February 2020
    PJ from Princess Craft does the best walk through out there, IMHO. She does a very thorough one of the 20201, too.

Overall, I am in love with the design. Honestly, they have addressed almost every major pain point sT@b owners have mentioned over the years. Bravo, nuCamp!!

What I love:

Exterior

- Streamlined plastic trim and removing it from around the window. I believe they are using new materials, aimed at addressing cracking, but I love the simpler, more modern look. I love the graphics around the window (stripes)

- LP port for a grill.

- Winter bypass simple set up for the Alde

- Nautilus water system exterior compartment for the water fills and hose, with a motion sensor light.

- New boondock box is slightly larger and has a gas prop

- Beautiful redesign of the rear end, like the T@b 400

- Sleeker grab handles

- New step with light

-Super easy access to the grey tank gate and pull handle

Interior

- Stove igniter

- DC fridge

- Sleek, modern interior. The cream wallpaper gets old. I love the move away from the birch look. It had run its course, IMHO. Birch is still an option for those that love it.

- New kitchen strip light and strip lighting under the window boxes

- Push button latches on kitchen cabinetry

- Wire pass-through for charging cables

- Pull out drawer under fridge

- The pull out slats for the bed are brilliant

- Split back rear bench seat back

- Optional microwave (some people really want this, I can live without it, but love the option)

- Solid bathroom door, nice catch, too

- Standard porthole in the bathroom

- Improved bathroom floorplan with cassette toilet creates more room to move around

- New entrance door and able to retain the porthole window, get the fire extinguisher out of the way, and addsdditional storage.

- Additional storage cubbies above door and resigned on driver side window box

- Hinges that keep rear overhead cabinets open

-  New AC. 320 owners who have it have been very happy with it and the fact that it is lightweight and operates efficiently is very appealing to me.

https://youtu.be/22T2ZjLzobI

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    junnyquestjunnyquest Member Posts: 10
    So many melodramatic responses...
    All the 'deal breaker' comments.

1. Need more black water capacity for extended boondocking with the cassette toilet?  Bring a five gallon plastic bucket and lid ($10 at Lowe's). Now you have ten gallons capacity which is two more gallons than you have with the current model. Bring two buckets and stay out even longer. Problem solved.
    2. Don't like the new sink in the bathroom? You are already happy not using the sink you don't have in the current model. Simply don't use the sink you will have in the new model. Instead, use it for added storage. Problem solved.
    3. Solid bathroom door makes it look smaller inside? Hey, it's a teardrop. It is what it is. And who wants everyone seeing what's happening in there anyway?

These and all the other improvements were overdue. Congratulations on your new (and very improved) camper, nüCamp!
    2018 t@b 400
    2019 VW Atlas
    Northern Michigan
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I bought a new 2016 320 then a new 2018, wanted to get a new 2021 but that cassette toilet is a deal beaker for me. If you have the shower tank to empty I can't see why just pulling the black tank valve first then rinsing with the grey tank is such a big deal. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    junnyquestjunnyquest Member Posts: 10
    gulfarea said:
    I bought a new 2016 320 then a new 2018, wanted to get a new 2021 but that cassette toilet is a deal beaker for me. If you have the shower tank to empty I can't see why just pulling the black tank valve first then rinsing with the grey tank is such a big deal. Art
    I think they are trying to address complaints that the original bathroom is too small. Changing to the cassette design increased the available floor space in there. Plus there's the added bonus of a sink.
    2018 t@b 400
    2019 VW Atlas
    Northern Michigan