Options

2020 Subaru Outback turbo for towing

Comments

• Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    We are just finishing a trip to Death Valley with our new XT. It was completely boring, in a good way. It handled the 5+ mile 9% grades with normal water and oil temperatures at 50+ish MPH. Our old 2013 Outback might have made 30 MPH going up those grades. Downgrades in 3rd or 4th gear kept sped sensible without braking. We did not have any trailer sway issues, 

It is ridiculous that the factory 3500lb hitch doesn’t  have the wiring for a 7-way trailer connector. 
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, that is odd, considering most areas require a brake on trailers weighing in the 3K ballpark.  My Jeep Renegade was the same way, so I guess Federal Reg’s don’t require a 7-pin in tow packages in the 3000 to 3500 lbs rating.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Busdrivera321Busdrivera321 Member Posts: 8
    Question for the two people with the new 2020 Outback XT's What drop did you use for hitch. We are picking our's up today! 
  • Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    Busdrivera321: Ours has a  4” drop. It is level enough to sleep in without detaching.
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    Busdrivera321Busdrivera321 Member Posts: 8
    That's what I ended up going with. 4" seems just a tad low but going with the 2" put it too far up.
  • Options
    FefferFeffer Member Posts: 3
    @N7SHG_Ham @Dsumrah
    Our 2020 Onyx has been getting an average of 25 miles per gallon for my daily commute (mainly city miles). It does better when mostly highway (closer to 30mpg). As for towing we've been averaging around 17 miles per gallon. We've gotten as low as 15 on one trip that was quite hilly & as good as 28 on a trip that was relatively flat highway. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    DsumrahDsumrah Member Posts: 23
    Hi can someone post a pic of there 7 way plug on a 2020 Outback We just picked up our 2020 Outback XT with OEM hitch and I’m trying to figure out how to mount the 7 way. 
    2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i | 2015 T@B Q
    2020 Subaru Outback XT | 2017 T@B CS
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited March 2020
    A factory hitch should have a bracket on the driver’s side of the receiver for the 4 way plug. They make an adapter bracket for the 7 pin, not Subaru because their tow rating is only 2700# for the 2.5 and 3500# for the 2.4. But you can buy a 7 pin bracket from Curt or etrailer for less than $10. 

‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    This is what I had on our 2016 outback but will not work on our 2020. The 4 pin faces downward and is a bit hidden. I will take a pic. And post it. 

rcuomo said:

• Options
    There is no bracket for the 4 plug that you can attach the bracket?  I don’t think you can use the Curt e-z bracket without cutting the bottom fascia but there are many variations of the 7 pin bracket available. Also check etrailer.com as the carry Curt, Drawtite, Tekonsha and others. 
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Etrailer recommends this harness setup using a similar bracket either directly screwed to the hitch or to the fascia.  

Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    This is the setup I just installed on my 2020 Honda Pilot but you need clearance on the side for the bracket. It was around $11 from Amazon. 

Huntington LI
  • Options
    Ya it’s a bit different 

rcuomo said:
    This is the setup I just installed on my 2020 Honda Pilot but you need clearance on the side for the bracket. It was around $11 from Amazon. 

• Options
    edited March 2020
    You may be able to back out the two bolts and mount the 7 pin bracket behind the 4 plug. It’s worth trying since you have to eliminate the four plug harness if you plan to use the factory plug for the 7 pin. 
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    Got the 7 way in. Still need to install the brake controller 

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Looks neat, but not sure this is going to work without a right angle connector on the trailer end?  What is the distance from the ground to the window plug?  Then measure the trailer connector and cable with a 90-degree bend in it, to see how much ground clearance you end up with.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    With those 3 wires unused, you're not going to charge the battery or activate brakes with a wired brake controller, are you? 

I had a shop add a 7 pin to our Outback 3.6R, but they ran a charge wire, and trailer brake wire,  and didn't use the 4 pin connector at all.

Also, monitor your transmission temps, our 3.6 won't stay in the ideal range, but we don't have a transmission cooler installed.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @Dsumrah the trailer connector is not going to stay connected to the 7 pin plug mounted in the vertical position, I'd seriously reconsider the mounting position.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I have already ran the power (black), brake line (blue) and ground (white). I have not connected the yellow wire since it’s not used on the Tab. I’m still waiting for the brake controller to come in from Amazon. 

db_cooper said:
    With those 3 wires unused, you're not going to charge the battery or activate brakes with a wired brake controller, are you? 

I had a shop add a 7 pin to our Outback 3.6R, but they ran a charge wire, and trailer brake wire,  and didn't use the 4 pin connector at all.

Also, monitor your transmission temps, our 3.6 won't stay in the ideal range, but we don't have a transmission cooler installed.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I don’t see why it wouldn’t, there is a notch on the 7 way plug to keep the connection in place. Also there are some OEMs what have there 7 way hidden vertically. This is the only way I could figure out without cutting a hole in the bumper. If someone with a 2020 Outback has a pic on how they converted there OEM wiring to a 7 way it would be appreciated.  

webers3 said:
    @Dsumrah the trailer connector is not going to stay connected to the 7 pin plug mounted in the vertical position, I'd seriously reconsider the mounting position.

• Options
    SubieDooSubieDoo Member Posts: 18
    Hi Newbie here.  So glad to connect with others.  We're a Subie family, with just about everything but the Ascent.  I just purchased the 2020 XT with the intention of finally being able to tow a T@B.  Would love to get the 400 and found a great deal for a new 2018.  But I see here, folks even question the 320. Is it a total risk to consider the 400 even though the tongue weight and GVWR fall right in line with the towing capacity of the XT? The 2018 400 has a tongue weight of 325 and 3500 GVRW. I travel cross country 2x per year--Atlanta to No CAL then up to Seattle. Return is doing the quickest way back (mountains of Idaho, MT). Thanks for your insight, although I'm sure I know the answer!
    2021 320S BD
    TV: 2021 BMW X5 Drive 40i
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited April 2020
    SubieDoo said:
    Hi Newbie here.  So glad to connect with others.  We're a Subie family, with just about everything but the Ascent.  I just purchased the 2020 XT with the intention of finally being able to tow a T@B.  Would love to get the 400 and found a great deal for a new 2018.  But I see here, folks even question the 320. Is it a total risk to consider the 400 even though the tongue weight and GVWR fall right in line with the towing capacity of the XT? The 2018 400 has a tongue weight of 325 and 3500 GVRW. I travel cross country 2x per year--Atlanta to No CAL then up to Seattle. Return is doing the quickest way back (mountains of Idaho, MT). Thanks for your insight, although I'm sure I know the answer!
    No. Just, no. I love Outbacks, but no, no, no.

First off, the 2018 tongue weight is not exact. Plenty of folks have gotten dry weights higher than that when they’ve taken their trailers to be weighed. Second, by the time you load up, you’ll be well over tongue weight and probably overall weight as well. The unibody construction of Subarus means you do NOT want to exceed either limit, ever, and that’s setting aside “minor” issues like actually being able to stop safely when emergency braking, or being able to cross mountain passes. (That’s sarcasm, in case anyone misunderstands, safety is not minor!)

A 320 pulled by a 2020 Outback XT really should be no problem, so long as you are reasonably careful with overall loading. A 400 requires a bare minimum of 5000 lb towing capacity and a 500 lb tongue weight limit, and that’s still questionable to some folks. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thank you! I just needed someone to tell me it's totally wrong. Will not even consider. It's the 320 CS-S for me!
    2021 320S BD
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Agree with @VictoriaP. I believe I have even read of less than ideal situation towing with the Ascent which on paper should work. Folks who seem to have no towing issues with 400's of any year, are in mid size or full size trucks or I suppose similar in full size SUV. The thing to look for at a minimum is 500 hitch weight and 5000 trailer weight ratings or higher. I have even heard of Honda Ridgeline owners moving up to a full size truck for a better towing experience. Full disclosure, I pull my 400 with an older Dodge Ram full size, even that feels hills, but as far as handling, control and braking it is very easy.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    SubieDoo said:
    Thank you! I just needed someone to tell me it's totally wrong. Will not even consider. It's the 320 CS-S for me!
    Yeah, it’s disappointing, I know, but that’s a much better choice. I’ve been wrestling with the Outback XT versus Ascent decision since they first announced the XT...the ONLY reason I need the Ascent is that I *might* eventually upgrade to the 400. The virus has kept me at home, so I’ve been able to procrastinate on that decision a while longer! 😁 (Ascent handles remarkably like an Outback for the most part, but dang, it’s huge!)

As a general note, even at the new XT’s 350 lbs tongue weight limit, you still need to think through what you carry and where. Want a dual 6v battery setup for more power? It may fit in the front tub just fine, but do you have the weight capacity for it? How about a generator, which a lot of folks carry on the trailer tongue? Or a bike rack? With next to nothing extra on it and 100 lbs+ behind the axle offsetting some of the front, my Boondock tongue weight is still just under 200 lbs. You can see where a 70 lb Honda genset and an extra 100 lb battery would spike that up really fast, and that’s with empty tanks and without groceries in my front kitchen. And shifting gear from the trailer to the cargo area of the Outback doesn’t solve the problem.

Using a bare minimum towing-capable vehicle means compromising with what you carry in order to keep both you and your vehicle safe. Make sure you know how to weigh the trailer tongue, and how to load appropriately so your new Subie has a nice long life.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I’m a total newbie, only having rented in the past. Looking forward to my first camper.
    2021 320S BD
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    SubieDoo said:
    Thank you all for your comments. I’m a total newbie, only having rented in the past. Looking forward to my first camper.
    Welcome! I was a newbie a year ago. Four years ago I was zipping around in a Honda Insight and just getting my toes wet with tent camping. Three years ago I moved up to a Mazda CX-5 to tow a Sylvan Sport GO tent trailer and one year ago I moved up to a Subaru Ascent to tow a T@b. I never thought I would drive such a big car, much less tow a trailer with it! Looking forward to your updates.  :)
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    My two cents for what it’s worth, do more homework on the Ascent. Check the Ascent owners FB groups for the latest issues. We bought the first model, 2019, and traded it out 11 months later. Go online and read the towing section in the owner’s manual. The 2019 is the first manual I’ve seen that states to only use genuine Subaru parts. They only made a short drop hitch. That means any problems and you may not be covered by the warranty. I don’t know about the subsequent models, but some 2019’s have a receiver just a bit too large and the Tab bobs like a cork, while you fight the steering wheel for control due to the anti-sway system. I added a hitch tightener that bounced loose during an hour drive to camp. I towed with the Ascent twice, miserable both times, also needed a deeper drop hitch than the factory supplied one. Too many issues for me, making it an expensive commuting car. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    SamrollseyesSamrollseyes Member Posts: 29
    I went up to the 2020 Subaru Turbo for my 2018 T@B 320.(Up from the 2016 Subaru outback). My older Subie worked adequately but I worried A LOT about the strain. Just came back from my first trip for the season with the newbie Subie and couldn't be happier! Towing in a headwind and crosswind was smooth and there was no difference in mileage. The trip was 85 miles each way with most of the trip on interstate. I kept my speed at 68 mph. One thing that I had to deal with is an aftermarket hitch installment. Hitch was fine but installing the electronic brake would have voided my warranty. I now have a Curt Bluetooth controlled braking system. It seems to have worked just fine but it is one more step to hitching up and going. Has anyone else dealt with that system? (My hitch installer actually called Subaru to verify warranty info)