2021 Tab 320- battery not powering trailer

I brought my 2021 Tab 320s home from the dealer yesterday and have had a pile of problems since - this one involves the electrical. Nothing in the trailer can be powered by the battery. First I found that the in line fuse was blown so that was replaced. At that point the battery was reading 12.6v. After charging all day on shore power with the battery disconnect set to green (ie, battery was connected) the moment I unplugged from shore, everything shut off. I checked the fuses/breakers in the inverter box and nothing is blown. Everything worked when hooked up to shore power. Is there another fuse to check? Is it possible that the battery just isn't hooked up to the trailer? Thanks for the help.

2021 T@b 320 S

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I assume the battery reading was after you disconnected shorepower as while on 120 v it should read 13.6.

How did you measure the battery voltage?  Meter or the TaB KIB monitor?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    Inquiring mind wants to know too (we pick our up tomorrow)
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • CaptenajCaptenaj Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the response. The guy from the dealership measured it with a meter. He was the one who replaced the fuse.
    2021 T@b 320 S
    I don’t have the KIB monitor.  Does it have a voltage display?  If not, you can get a plug in battery monitor.  

You may have a bad battery.  It’s not unheard of.   I would take it to a battery shop and have it tested (independent of the dealer). 

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited May 2020
    Captenaj said:
    Is it possible that the battery just isn't hooked up to the trailer? Thanks for the help.
    From what you describe, yes--though that can occur in a number of ways.
    If the battery initially tested at 12.6V, it should be good enough to provide some juice when you disconnect from shore power.
    Since everything works on shore power, then the converter itself and the 12V DC distribution system are also probably fine.
    That leaves a broken circuit between the battery and the converter as the most likely culprit. Short of a broken wire (not likely) this can occur at several locations:
    1. battery not hooked up or properly grounded
    2. 30A fuse at battery blown
    3. faulty contact or connection at disconnect switch
    4. disconnected lead at primary j-box
    5. battery positive lead disconnected at converter
    6. 30A battery lead fuse in converter blown
    7. 40A battery reverse polarity fuse in converter blown
    8. faulty contact in converter battery circuit
    If you haven't done so already, check #2 again. That fuse blew once for a reason, and if that reason is not corrected it will blow again as soon as you restore power.

If the fuse checks out, move next to #5. The trailer's DC wiring is connected to the converter with bullet-type quick connects under the driver's seat at the back of the converter. Make sure these are all tight, particularly any involving a heavier red wire, as that will be the lead from the battery.

Ultimately, it's a matter of tracing the path between the battery and the converter and confirming all connections. A multi-meter that tests both voltage and continuity can facilitate this. Electrical problems can range from very simple (like a disconnected wire) to frustratingly complex (like a hidden short within a component). Good luck and let us know what you find! 

2015 T@B S
    Thank you for the help! The culprit was the 7.5A inline fuse on the battery. The dealer came out and replaced the 10A, said I was good to go and took off. I thought the problem was solved but the electric was working because I was plugged in (yes, a brand new owner here!). I didn't know, nor did the dealer apparently, that there was a second fuse on the battery. I have a 5A in there now until I can get a hold of a 7.5A. Thank you again!

2021 T@b 320 S
    I don’t remember having a second fuse.  Is that on the solar port  wire?
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I don’t remember having a second fuse.  Is that on the solar port  wire?
    Had the same question.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The battery should have a 30amp in-line fuse. Unless I’m seeing it incorrectly, there is a 5 amp and a 10 amp. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    You are seeing it correctly. It came from the dealer with a 10A and a 7.5A, both of which were blown. The dealer came out, saw the 10A was blown, and replaced it with another 10A. After he left and things still weren't working, I found that the 7.5A was blown so I replaced it with what I had, a 5A. That lasted until I unplugged shore power and presumably the refrigerator kicked on.

The Tab has solar so it could be the second fuse has something to do with that. All I know is when that fuse has blown, the trailer has no power even though the battery is charged.

The cover on each fuse says "Max 30A." Is that for real and can I put 30A fuses in each? Or does that mean the cover is rated to 30A but my system may not be. As you can tell, I'm rather new to electrical systems. Thanks for the help.
    2021 T@b 320 S
    Maybe someone with factory solar can confirm what size fuse is needed?  
    edited May 2020
    Okay, I have the 400, so I can’t get to my batteries. 

If you can trace the wiring, the wire that goes to the battery switch should have a 30 amp fuse in it. I think, my 200 watt Zamp suitcase has a 20 amp fuse in it. So, what ever wiring goes to the solar try putting a 20 amp fuse in it and see if that works. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Captenaj said:
    You are seeing it correctly. It came from the dealer with a 10A and a 7.5A, both of which were blown. The dealer came out, saw the 10A was blown, and replaced it with another 10A. After he left and things still weren't working, I found that the 7.5A was blown so I replaced it with what I had, a 5A. That lasted until I unplugged shore power and presumably the refrigerator kicked on.

The Tab has solar so it could be the second fuse has something to do with that. All I know is when that fuse has blown, the trailer has no power even though the battery is charged.

The cover on each fuse says "Max 30A." Is that for real and can I put 30A fuses in each? Or does that mean the cover is rated to 30A but my system may not be. As you can tell, I'm rather new to electrical systems. Thanks for the help.
    Try replacing that 10a with a 20a or 30a fuse. A 10a fuse seems ways too small.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    @Captenaj, to the best of my knowledge, the fuse for the solar should not be relevant here, as it only connects the solar controller to the battery. If it blows you won't get any solar charging, but a charged battery should still be able to power the trailer.
    However, the other fuse--the one that connects the battery to the converter--is important. If that blows you have effectively disconnected the battery from the trailer. Every other T@B 320 I'm aware of has a 30A fuse in that location. Why yours has a 10A fuse is anybody's guess, but I think you are on to something with your comment about it lasting until the fridge presumably started up. The whole idea of a fuse is to prevent too much current flow--in this case the trailer is designed to deliver 30A but you are only allowing 10A before the fuse blows. Here's what I suggest at this point:
    1. If you haven't done so already, determine for certain which fuse is which.
    2. Pull BOTH fuses and check the voltage directly at the battery terminals. It should be >12.5V. (This step is important because if you measure battery voltage with something hooked up you may not get an accurate reading.) If the battery is <12V it needs to be charged and may even be faulty.
    3. If the battery checks out, replace the main fuse (the one connecting the battery to the converter) with a 30A fuse. Leave the solar fuse out for now. Check all your systems to see if you have 12V power to the trailer.
    4. If everything checks out, replace the solar fuse with one that is the proper size for your solar controller. Ensure that everything is still working.
    If you are still blowing fuses at this point (or otherwise don't have power) then we will need to dig a little deeper as there is probably an open or short circuit somewhere that is wreaking havoc. Report back what you find and we'll go from there!
    2015 T@B S
    @Captenaj, since you are a newbie and electrically naive (we all were at some point ☺️), I will throw this out to hopefully prevent future fuse issues.  Remember to always turn off your Alde at the control panel before disconnecting shorepower.  By doing so, you prevent an electrical surge to the Alde when you next plug in to shorepower.  That surge can and will blow the Alde fuse and you will be without heat or hot water.  The effected fuse is in the Alde - not at the 12 v fuse panel.  As a rule, we turn off everything before unplugging.  Hope this spares you future fuse issues and BTW, make sure you purchase extra fuses just in case :)
  • trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    " Remember to always turn off your Alde at the control panel before disconnecting shorepower." Thank You.  Another newbie here.
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    I haven't done any scientific study, but I have never had issues blowing fuses and have noticed that others who use an Elcrtical Management Systems (EMS), like the Progressive Industries units don't seem to blow fuses, either. These systems protect your trailer from power surges, reverse polarity, and RV, "hot skin". 

Mike Sokol has provided tremendous education to the RV community about safety related to rv and electricity over the years: 
    https://rvelectricity.com/articles/

• mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    This topic gives me one more question on the list for the dealer orientation when I pickup our 320S next week - 'please show me where every fuse is located and what are the values of each'.  Plus will be sure to run things on both battery and shore power for a few minutes.  Thanks for the ideas!
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
    @mntrails, if you search for “Fuses for Newbies”, Tabaz put together a wonderful collection of which fuse is where and what it protects for the 320.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @mntrails, another suggestion is to video your orientation with the dealer. Sometimes, there is so much information to absorb that you naturally forget some of the topics or details. If you record the orientation, even just on your phone, you will have something to refer back to.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    @Captaonaj did you ever figure out what the problem was?

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @jkjenn, see the post above for May 21st (the one with a picture of the 12V battery in it.)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Thank you all for the tremendous help. I ended up with a 15A and a 20A in the inline fuses and have not had a problem since. I now have extra fuses and if anything blows, I will replace with a 30A. I went camping last weekend and all was well.
    2021 T@b 320 S
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    edited May 2020
    @Captenaj, don't ya just love it when (the plan) all parts come together! EVERYONE on this forum you all are AMAZING!

So now how about this community solving the covid19 vaccine problem? Together, we can solve just about anything -- @Ratkity, I believe, here's where you take the lead!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    The fuse on our 2018 400 originally was a 30 amp in line fuse.  later on in 2018 models the replaced it with a 40 amp circuit breaker that cam be reset.  I got the new set up from NU Camp and also a heavier 8 gauge wire to replace the original. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
    The 40 amp circuit breaker was necessary with the large battery in the 2018 400.