Generator for 2019 Tab 400

I need some input on a generator for our 400.  Will a Honda EU2200i run the CoolCat AC unit?

Comments

• AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    There are a ton of folks on here who are SME's on this sort of thing, I have basically the same question except I'm a 2020 400 so it's Air8 unit. I believe the Cat draws about 1300w when cooling (+/- 12amps). The 2200i output is max at 2000 (18.5 amps) and 1800w rated at 15amp. 

My guess, and it's only that...is that it could but you wouldn't be running much else. 

I'll gladly stand corrected by those who know their stuff and look forward to hearing from them!
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    From what I have read in other posts about generators, it may run it but it won't start it. And as AirBoss says, you won't be running anything else when it is running the AC.  That is why so many people have been asking about installing some sort of "soft start" gadget on the CoolCat.
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited April 2020
    Go to Harbor Freight and buy a Predator 3500 Watt for $800.00. You can get an extended warranty for 1 or 2 years. Take it in empty of gas before the 1 or 2 years are up and they will give you a new one. Buy another 1 or 2 year warranty, lather, rinse, and repeat.

I had a 2000 Watt that when the 1 year came up I returned it, got 100% of my money back and bought a 3500 Watt for the difference. I upgraded to the 3500 Watt because we swapped our 320 for a 400 BDL. I bought the 2 year warranty and will replace it before the 2 years are up. Plus the 3500 has electric start and an 11 hour rated run time. This way you have a full 30 amps available and don't have to worry about soft start or what you turn on or can't turn on because you are trying to use the air conditioning.

Look at Consumer Reports, the 3500 Watt is rated higher than a Honda and is just as quiet if not a decibel or 2 quieter.

Regards,

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Perhaps, but this thing weighs 95+ lbs...  :one_finger:
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    Dutch061 said:
    Go to Harbor Freight and buy a Predator 3500 Watt for $800.00. You can get an extended warranty for 1 or 2 years. Take it in empty of gas before the 1 or 2 years are up and they will give you a new one. Buy another 1 or 2 year warranty, lather, rinse, and repeat.

I had a 2000 Watt that when the 1 year came up I returned it, got 100% of my money back and bought a 3500 Watt for the difference. I upgraded to the 3500 Watt because we swapped our 320 for a 400 BDL. I bought the 2 year warranty and will replace it before the 2 years are up. Plus the 3500 has electric start and an 11 hour rated run time. This way you have a full 30 amps available and don't have to worry about soft start or what you turn on or can't turn on because you are trying to use the air conditioning.

Look at Consumer Reports, the 3500 Watt is rated higher than a Honda and is just as quiet if not a decibel or 2 quieter.

Regards,

Brad
    Thanks for the input Brad.  Makes a lot of sense.  Weight is not really an issue for us.
  • simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44
    @JCALD, it's a "yes" using a Honda eu2200i to run the CoolCat. Been using one with mine 2018 400. The only problem I run into is, if I need the microwave at the same time, I will rise the temp on the CoolCat thermostat to shut of the compressor while the microwave is running...... If you are looking for a bigger unit, check out Cummins/ Onan P4500i
    2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
    Thanks for confirmin what I thought would work.  I have been looking at the Honda 2200i for our 2018 TaB 400.
    cheers
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have also run CoolCat on 2200i Honda, only tested so far because I bought generator at end of season last year and haven't been out yet this year. Mine has a propane conversion and at 3000 feet elevation it will start and run the CoolCat. Once running it is more than adequate, BUT I may add a Soft start in future to make it easier on both the AC and the generator.

A 3500 will obviously give a bigger margin for starting plus other loads, but it is twice the weight and size and that was a consideration too. Compromise with everything, choose what is important.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Honda 2200 runs my coolcat fine even in quiet mode. However i did fit the soft start reccomended on many posts here. The generator hardly bogs down when the  coolcat comes on. It does run off idfle of course.
    Travel with Delaney has a utube video using a big harbour freight generator i think its 3kw. It works really well abd cheaper than the Honda but too heavy for me.
    I got a deal on my honda from a pawn shop. It was actually new and has never been run, they had to put oil in it to test it for me. No box or anything and it cos $400. Works great. I have a power monitor/ protector which will run with the generator in normal mode. So this says the voltage hardly dips. Before the soft start mod to the coolcat it would often trip on startup. I had to run the protector in override. Sometimes the honda dipped so much the coolcat wouldnt start. But now- awesome.
  • NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    Seeking input on a propane generator or gennie mod.
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    I ended up with a duel fuel Champion 3400 from Amazon.  We are camping right now and it is working great.
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Plus 1 on the Champion Dual Fuel. Mine has never has gasoline in it; propane only. Starts and runs great. It is heavy but my wife and I put it in and out of my 4WD F150 without trouble. If you are thinking about one of these, shop around. I have seen a big spread on price.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2020
    Looking for a generator for our 2018 400 for times when there’s not enough sun for our solar set up and when we want to use the AC.

I want to go as lightweight as possible, so looking at the 2000 W units.

Seems that many people have had A positive experience with the Honda 2200, But I have been looking at the WEN 56225i 2250-Watt unit as it seems to get good reviews and about half the price of the Honda.

In theory it should run the AC as well as the Honda, but has anybody tried the Wen unit with the Cool cat?
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
    edited July 2020
    We are getting the 2200i Honda, relative small size, light weight and quiet.  Ticks all the boxes for a TaB400.
    cheers
    @Denny16
    @Tundra57

What's the preferred fuel container for travelling in back of an SUV? Suggestions? One of the reasons I liked the dual fuel option as I have twin tanks on the rig and another in the TV to fuel the fire pit/Camp Chef stove. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    We did the propane conversion of our Honda 2000.  Several options available to do this.  We opted for the most expensive because the resultant setup didn't have a bulky external regulator.  https://genconnexdirect.net/honda_generator_propane_kits.htm.  Really happy with the result - no gas fumes, ever.  Starts right up after being ignored for a year.

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    @rh5555 did the same, I actually bought a brand new 2200i from Genconnex already converted.

That will start and run the CoolCat at 3000 elevation, but haven't got to use it much yet.

The no fuel storage issues, the stale fuel and clean burning are worth the cost IMO.

I don't know about other brands, but I do believe the Honda has a bit more oomph than some other 2k class generators, so YMMV depending on what you get as far as running the CoolCat.
    If you keep it gas, you can get vapor proof fuel cans to store petrol in.
    cheers
  • Rozryan37Rozryan37 Member Posts: 3
    We got a Yamaha 2200 and can get a second one to use in tandem to run all the needs for our 400. You can stand next to it and have a conversation in regular voice levels. Gas powered. Weighs 55lbs. Two carry handles for ease of moving it. Havent used it in camping yet but our mechanical people recommended it.
    edited July 2020
    Denny16 said:
    We are getting the 2200i Honda, relative small size, light weight and quiet.  Ticks all the boxes for a TaB400.
    cheers
    I’m a cheap {person} but, still considering the Honda. :)

Admin edit for inappropriate language on a family friendly forum. Replaced with an appropriate term. 
    @Michael49 cheap sometimes isn't least expensive long term :) if you have a Tab, then price per square foot is more than most RV's, just get the Honda :) it is true you can probably buy 2-3 cheaper generators for the price of a Honda, but... It is also true that not all similar sized generators output the same power and in fact many have quite a bit smaller engine.
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @Michael49 cheap sometimes isn't least expensive long term :) if you have a Tab, then price per square foot is more than most RV's, just get the Honda :) it is true you can probably buy 2-3 cheaper generators for the price of a Honda, but... It is also true that not all similar sized generators output the same power and in fact many have quite a bit smaller engine.
    I suppose the Honda would go nice with nicely with my Ridgeline as well. :)
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @AirBoss I have a backrack on my Tundra. I got a 5 gall steel gas can holder designed for a truck bed and mounted it on my backrack on the left hand driver side. It holds the gas for my generator.
    It also doubles as energency gas for my truck as i found at 2:00 am on I684 that all the gas stations i pulled in at were closed. The 5 gallons got me home where a load of 24 hour stations are. So I like this option.
    @Tundra57
    Good one...thanks. Not too keen on packing 5gal of Chevron in the back of the Tahoe. 

I'm 50/50 on the genset issue. All praise to the boondockers out there...been there, done that. It was the best of times...

Nowadays, I'm leaning toward the creature comforts and when I choose, dry camp for a day or two having planned ahead for that. 

But I've not eliminated the genset. Just jetisoned the massive Outback firepit (40 lbs with loose lava rocks) for the Little Red Campfire unit. Almost 1/4 the footprint and about half the weight. More room for camera gear!  ;)  
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• kemcgrawkemcgraw Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone converted their Honda eu2200i to propane using the Hutch conversion kit? Ahnd where are you storing your generator, in/on TaB or tv?
    kathy
    edited July 2020
    The Hutch conversion has the monster regulator attached to your propane tank, which then won't fit in the usual place.  Genconnex has regulator inside generator shell where the gas tank used to be.  With Genconnex, you are purely propane - no gas option - but that worked for us as we store the genny where the wardrobe once was and wouldn't want any gasoline smell:

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Great and useful comments all around. Has anyone found a "compromise" approximate 4000W, dual fuel (gas and propane) generator that can be used boondocking as well as running the very basics through the rural home power panel (well, refrigerator, pellet stove, couple of lights)? Light enough to horse around with mechanical advantage and quiet enough to not tick anyone off.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
    Can't be sure but I doubt you'll find a 4000W genset you can "horse around."  ;)

Unless of course you and "The Rock" have similar body types. 

This beast comes in at about 120lbs. 3500W running gas/ 3200 running LP

https://nysmartgenerators.com/product/powermate-3500-watt-dual-fuel-generator/
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

2 Honda 2200 generators that can be buddied together.  Just take one for your TAB adventures, but have the buddy at home for 4400W of rural home power.  Won't give you 240V/120V, though.