Options

Setting up a new 200 watt solar package

Okay, let’s say I have 200 watts of solar panels on my T@B’s roof. Which meter(s) and controllers in the Victron family are needed? 

(The question is because there are so many Victron models and I’d like a system that others can look at to see what is needed.)

Thanks in advance.
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I would probably go with the 30 amp controller.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Okay, @jkjenn, what Victron model is that?  Remember this post is to help others, please. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited July 2020
    I have 300W solar on the roof.  Bought the 20A controller based on the Victron web site estimator.  Best controller I've ever had, and I often see more than 15A, so I'm glad Victron recommended the 100/20 unit.

https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NPQHQK

As you well know, most folks use the following for their battery bank meter / monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RTSTKS

But I just used the less expensive Renogy monitor.  Which means it's just a matter of time until I eventually upgrade to the BMV-712.   :)
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    Doesn't the 400 have a 190 watt panel with the Victron 75/15 SmartSolar controller?

Here is a chart from Victron that indicates a nominal 220 watt requires a 75/15.  Do they offer a 30 amp?
    https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15,-100-20,-100-20_48V-EN.pdf
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2020
    On our 2020 400 BDL, the factory installed a 75/15 Controller which my understanding is up to 75 Volts and 15 Amps.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We just had the 190 watt panel installed on the roof of our 400, and we have the Victron Smartsolar 75/15. We also installed the Victron 712 battery monitor at the same time. 
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Okay, @jkjenn, what Victron model is that?  Remember this post is to help others, please. 

Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 Solar Charge Controller 12/24VDC at 30 Amps.

https://www.solar-electric.com/victron-energy-smartsolar-mppt-100-30-charge-controller.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpNr4BRDYARIsAADIx9x_swaCEzNgl2EZWhus1khDe35UhtMV0rfFAFJb15UFjJNV8gdthmsaAgctEALw_wcB

That was the first link I found, so be sure to shop around.

I used the non smart version of this when I had 200w of solar. I am no engineer, but it seems like my controllers have performed better when I was not maxing out capacity. One of the reasons I used a larger controller was because I ran my panels on series. If you have 2 panels, I highly recommend it. I foynd it charfed faster, which was helpful for recharging before mid-day campground check outs.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Yes, this is the type of info I was hoping for—thanks to those who contributed. And I am aware there are different brands out there, but this gives a guideline of what many are using. 

To recap: 

The Victron SmartSolar MPPT Controller 100/20 is for over 220 watts of solar.

The Victron SmartSolar MPPT Controller 75/15 is for under 220 watts.

The Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor shows how the batteries are doing (very simple explanation of this wonderful device).  The Smart Shunt is included with this monitor. 

You can monitor the BMV-712, the Smart Shunt and the MPPT Solar controller on the Victron Connect smart phone app. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @Sharon_is_SAM, yes, Victron offers larger solar controllers. That is what started me on the quest to put all of this info in one post. Amazon sent me an email and the 30 amp solar controller was the first item listed. 

I have 200 watts of Zamp flexible panels on my T@B 400 and a Zamp 20 amp controller. I’ve been very pleased with the results. It has sat outside all winter being charged by solar and the batteries are in great shape. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Next question....do you have to buy the shunt separately?  I see on the Amazon email they have two different “battery protectors” listed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    The battery protectors will basically automatically shut off the battery to protect the battery. Is that what you are looking g for or for a battery monitor?

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The Victron Battery monitor BMv-712 includes the shunt, display and connecting cables.  You need to buy the temp monitor cable separately, and is highly recommended, as the battery temp readings are shared with the Victron a solar controller, to,optimize charging rates.  You can also buy a Smart Shunt, which does not include the display, and uses Bluetooth and a smart phone for the display.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks @Denny16. I don’t have the temperature monitor on my BMV-712 and wasn’t aware it was available. 

So, without Smart Shunt, the solar controller is not able to connect via Bluetooth, like the BMV-712 does?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    No, the MPPT Solar Controller has its own Bluetooth connection as a stand alone.  The Smart Shunt is the BVM-712 without the display, and also has a Bluetooth connection.  Try can set up a local Bluetooth network between them.  The temp cable/probe adds a hard wired connection to monitor actual battery temp, and when the monitor or Smart Shunt are networked with the MPPT, it shares the temp readings with the solar controller.

The 712, Smart Shunt and MPPT come up on the Victron App as separate devices, and you select which one to actively monitor with the phone Bluetooth app.
    Cheers
  • Options
    Thank you, @Denny16. I’ll put everything together in the one post and bookmark it as newbies, and some of we oldies (but goodies!), need to be able to reference these devices in one place 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I didn't realize they were selling the bmv-712 without the display! that probably would have saved me all that trouble trying to find a place to mount it! I don't use the display at all.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    The 712 is the monitor with the display.  The boy her model without the display is the Smart Shunt, very similar, but the shunt contains the Bluetooth unit and control board.  Yes, the Smart Shunt eliminates the monitor, and you use the smart phone app instead.
    cheers
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    In case there's confusion e.g. 75/15, the 75(volts) refers to the max open circuit input voltage from the array(s) added if series, the 15 (amps) refers to the battery's max charging current (this is the worst case current condition).
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Here's an example of how one might use the 75V/15A  spec for that model controller, which is what we use.  First you will need to consider the panel to be used.  Here is the spec sheet for our one solar panel..

At around 20 Volts generated per panel, if connected in series, three 100W panels (60V) would still be within specs of the controller (75V) and around 6A (<15A rating).  However, if connected in parallel (at 6A current per panel), only two panels (12A) could be connected before exceeding the 15A max current of the controller.
    (Ref: see "Oversizing a PV array" near bottom of this page:  https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2014/03/28/matching-victron-energy-solar-modules-to-the-new-mppt-charge-regulators/ )

This 75/15 controller is fine for us, since we never anticipated needing any more than two panels (200W).  With our 150AH battery & limited boondocking needs, we are still fine with just one panel that we can carry on the roof of our van & place on the ground facing south at the appropriate angle for our latitude/season if desired.  We do have room for a second panel on the roof if we should ever need it.  There are also pros & cons to consider for each arrangement (parallel/series) & depending on the particular panel design, but that's whole other subject.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    Verna said:
    Thanks @Denny16. I don’t have the temperature monitor on my BMV-712 and wasn’t aware it was available. 

So, without Smart Shunt, the solar controller is not able to connect via Bluetooth, like the BMV-712 does?
    You probably already realize this, but make sure you get the Victron "smart" MPPT so you can connect to the app via bluetooth without purchasing a separate dongle. I have the 100/30 and have almost 360W on the roof of my 400.

The BMV-712 is hugely helpful for monitoring battery life, loads, etc. I find the display on the 712 pretty useless, so it's mounted under the bed near the batteries - I access it via the app on my phone. I do not have the temperature monitor. Recently it has been over 90 degrees in our 400, but the underbed area where the batteries are located stays surprisingly cool; at this point I'm not concerned about overheating. 
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    The battery temp attachment is more about monitoring the battery temp to optimize charging rate, than watching to see if they “overheat” which is not likely.
    cheers
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited July 2020
    Exactly, @Denny16!  And if I'm not mistaken, the optimization is most important for the SCC to make charging adjustments at temps colder than room temp.  I don't know if the new smart shunt offers any more options, but on the regular smart BMV shunt, the second optional sensor terminal can be used for either the battery temp probe OR to monitor a midpoint voltage on setups with two 6V batteries.  So if you've got two 6V batteries, then that may be more important to monitor than the battery temp, especially if your batteries are inside at room temp.

PS:  Also, about that BMV-712 display, I rarely use it, because you need to refer to the manual to understand what it's showing & how to use the buttons - just not very user friendly like the app.  On the other hand, it's nice to have a hard-wired backup that doesn't depend on bluetooth, plus if you have any alarms set for voltage, temp, or state of charge, the monitor has an audible alarm that I'm not sure could be heard if your app is not open & connected.  So, it's not totally useless.  I'm not sure what happens with alarms when using a smart shunt.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Exactly my feeling also, you have the physical monitor for alarms and a quick voltage and amp usage check.
    cheers