Options

Another electrical question

Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
As I am still clueless about everything electrical I am asking yet again for some clarification. I just noticed my 2020 Subaru Ascent has an AC 110 V 100w plug in. I assume I must have some sort of converter. My question is if I am charging something while driving would that be the better charging option? Does it matter? Will it effect anything with regards to my 7pin charging?
Kr@cken
2020 T@B 320 Boondock
Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
Clueless about everything electronic
2020 Subaru Ascent 
Bainbridge Island, Wa

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Kr@cken said:
    As I am still clueless about everything electrical I am asking yet again for some clarification. I just noticed my 2020 Subaru Ascent has an AC 110 V 100w plug in. I assume I must have some sort of converter. My question is if I am charging something while driving would that be the better charging option? Does it matter? Will it effect anything with regards to my 7pin charging?
    Thatbis an inverter outlet. Your TV will likely prioritize charging your battery vehicle, but you can certainly try it out. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    You have a regular plug inside the cabin of the Ascent?  That means it has an "inverter" connected to your vehicle's battery.  It changes the 12V power of the vehicle to 110v power of regular household electrical appliances.  Your vehicle manual should have the specs on how much power it can handle.  My Touareg has one, and the label on it says 150 watts maximum.
    What were you thinking about charging?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The the OP had posted the TV inverter is 100 watts, not going to run much, as it is a 1 amp circuit, so will work for a USB charger or something similar, not going to run any refrigeration with it.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I think that answered my question. I was wondering about a small fridge or my impact driver. I am looking for some online course to help me understand what I am doing. Remember when the teacher in the old Charlie Brown comics would talk and all your heard was "wha wha wha?" Thats what I hear in my head when I start reading about amps, watts, volts and inverters. I appreciate your patience. 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Kr@cken, I think it was @Michigan_Mike who posted this link last year. I’m electrically challenged too so need simple references every year! https://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    When you say "small fridge"  or whatever...your first thought should be:  how many watts does the small fridge use?  There are many small fridges that are less than 100 watts.  This "37 quart fridge" claims to use only 50-60 watts "when cooling".   At 60 watts, it would use about 5 amps per hour from a 12V battery.  (60 watts divided by 12 volts= 5 Amps). It might not be the best thing to run from the camper, but inside a car with your inverter it would work fine.   Keep things simple.  Watts divided by 12 volts will give you amps.  How big is  your battery in amp hours?  You can reasonably use 50 percent of them.  Run those numbers through your head whenever you think about what you want to run.    Next time you are in a truck stop, go back to the "12 volt accessories area and look at the huge world of 12v accessories. 

2017 Outback
  • Options
    Thank you for your explanation, This  just reinforces my belief that I wasted my time in home economics making aprons when I should have been taking shop.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    Well, I think the other way around.  I bought my trailer and took a year or so to learn battery stuff.  ( I knew hardly anything before...it was all Charlie Brown's WAH WAH to me, too.)  And now I see the people experienced with fabric and sewing machines making awings and canopies and sewing keder rails and I'm so impressed.  I'd sew an awning with the instructions on how to measure a battery with a multimeter on it!
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    @Kr@cken - keep plugging away at understanding the electronics.  It comes with time.  We all have our comfortable skill sets, but most of us are proof positive you can teach old dogs new tricks😂. Besides, new learning keeps your brain active which is always good.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Kr@cken said:
    Thank you for your explanation, This  just reinforces my belief that I wasted my time in home economics making aprons when I should have been taking shop.
    OK...funniest quote I've seen today! Well done...
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Well, I think the other way around.  I bought my trailer and took a year or so to learn battery stuff.  ( I knew hardly anything before...it was all Charlie Brown's WAH WAH to me, too.)  And now I see the people experienced with fabric and sewing machines making awings and canopies and sewing keder rails and I'm so impressed.  I'd sew an awning with the instructions on how to measure a battery with a multimeter on it!
    I need that awning. 😁
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    @Kr@cken don't feel bad. I knew plenty about watts, volts, amps, and wiring when I got my T@B, but still managed to ignore most of it and kill my first battery with a season of abuse. Even with a solid background in something there is still a learning curve in a new context.
    As @pthomas745 implied, start with memorizing the relationship between watts, volts, and amps:
    WATTS = VOLTS x AMPS
    (To help remember it think "Wilderness is Very Appealing.")
    In most systems volts are constant (usually 120V or 12V). Knowing the equation allows you to determine power demands using either watts or amps. This is useful since appliances and devices (things that consume power) are often rated in watts, while electrical components (things that provide power) are typically rated in amps. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    I learned it this way in class...

Put a finger on the one you want to calculate. 

Watts= Amps times Volts
    Amps= Watts divided by Volts
    Volts= Watts divided by Amps

Same thing @ScottG said, just for 'visual learners'.  :)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022