Options

Water for dry camping

I have a 2016 T@B 320 CS-S and tow it with a Ford F-150. When dry camping is there a way to store a water tank in the bed of the truck that has a water pump hooked to the tank and feed the water into the CITY WATER connection? Let's say the water tank held a minimum of 50 gallons? I want a way to supplement the fresh water tank and the water supply in general when dry camping. Weight from the extra water will not be an issue for towing purposes. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Not precisely what you we're looking for, but half way there...

https://youtu.be/PuN9WvyOt_0

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2020
    You can also get bladder tank to put in the back,of the truck bed.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2020
    rmcarthur said:
    I have a 2016 T@B 320 CS-S and tow it with a Ford F-150. When dry camping is there a way to store a water tank in the bed of the truck that has a water pump hooked to the tank and feed the water into the CITY WATER connection? Let's say the water tank held a minimum of 50 gallons? I want a way to supplement the fresh water tank and the water supply in general when dry camping. Weight from the extra water will not be an issue for towing purposes. Thoughts?
    Bear in mind the impact on your GVWR. 50 gallons of water weighs over 400 lbs! That would also cause your TV rear end to sag in all liklihood.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited August 2020
    If the water is at the front of the bed next to the cab, the weight will be distributed between both axles, adding 1/4 of the load to each wheel, well within the capacity of a F150 truck.  With 400+ lbs in the front of the bed should not drop significantly if at all.
    cheers
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    If the water is at the front of the bed next to the cab, the weight will be distributed between both axles, adding 1/4 of the load to each wheel, well within the capacity of a F150 truck.  With 400+ lbs in the front of the bed should not drop significantly if at all.
    cheers
    It's the 400lbs + T@b + other geat that would likely cause a sag. 

It could be alleviated by unhooking and then going to fill the bladder.

Or, just trade up to a 2021 T@b that has an 18 gallon water tank. 😁

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    A Ford F-150 has a cargo Payload capacity of 1250-2300 lbs, so even 600 lbs of water is not an issue, still have capacity for trailer tongue weight.  Hauling 400 lbs of water will add to the load, but well within its capability.  Now a mid-size truck would be a horse of a different color!
    Cheers
  • Options
    nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    I'd set the auxiliary water tank up with a gravity feed line into the t@b's on board fresh water tank from the back of the truck.  Put a shutoff valve in the line and fill as needed.  Eliminates the second pump.   
    2016 cs-s max
  • Options
    Also, the new TaBs with the Nautilus system can pump the water directly from an aux water tank into the TaB’s tank.
    cheere
  • Options
    rmcarthurrmcarthur Member Posts: 51
    Thanks everyone. I'm still looking for a response about hooking into the city water. How would that look?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    The city water connection supplies a higher flow via a constant, sustained pressure.  Not sure of what you gain by using a pump to deliver water through the city connection.  The pressure at the faucet will be limited by the pumps output pressure.  Why not fill the fresh water tank and use the TaB water pump?  Do you think that the fresh water tank fills via the city water connection?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    The city water port is just a common female garden hose connection. As long as you have the matching male end on the outflow from your pump, this doesn't seem like it would pose any particular challenge.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon, I dry camped for several weeks this summer and am trying to avoid having to frequently refill the freshwater tank. In my mind, if I have a pump with a pressure sensor that can sustain constant pressure to the city water line in my T@B I can avoid filling my freshwater tank every other day.
  • Options
    rmcarthur said:
    Sharon, I dry camped for several weeks this summer and am trying to avoid having to frequently refill the freshwater tank. In my mind, if I have a pump with a pressure sensor that can sustain constant pressure to the city water line in my T@B I can avoid filling my freshwater tank every other day.
    I hope you are using overstatement. If you are needing to fill every other day, perhaps some water conservation tips would help. 

I can make an 18 gallon freshwater tank last a week, with zero effort at conservation and lived for 3 months with a 5 gallon freshwater tank, refilling with a spare freshwater tank 1-2 times a week.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Yes, I see where that would save you the effort.  If you leave your truck parked and leave the pump connected that would work.  Would you hook the pump up to the TaB battery?  

I guess we find it very easy to siphon water into the tank - especially if the truck water tank was elevated higher than the TaB tank.  With a large enough siphon tube, water tank and pressure, it would take all of 3 minutes!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2020
    @rmcarthur Even this very inexpensive pump:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0863WL6FG

... has a 85psi automatic cutoff and could be used with a 40psi regulator on the hose to go into the city water supply.  But I'd find a better one...  this is just an example that there's plenty of pressure regulating water pumps, some at 35psi, some 85psi, some 100psi.  Most are self-priming.

Even a 45psi 3.5gpm Shureflo like the default T@B water pump could work?  Though if you have updated your shower head to a 1.5gpm like the awesome Niagara Conservation head, the above that rate may be overkill.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shurflo-2088-554-144-Fresh-Water-Pump-12-Volts-3-5-Gallons-Per-Minute-45-Psi/538069243?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=8755
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    edited August 2020
    That 85 psi pump is overkill and was designed as a washdown pump, not a domestic water supply pump.  The regular Sureflow pump, with a air pressure tank would work best, but the pump and filter kit could be used alone also.
    cheers
  • Options
    Jenn, I camp to enjoy adventures while not having to pay mind to water usage. Thats the goal.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    It makes no difference to the distribution system whether you are filling and pressurizing it from the pump connection or the city water connection a few inches away. If the stock T@B pump works well enough to draw water from the built-in tank, a similar pump should work just as well to draw from an external tank. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks, Scott. Makes sense.