Options for raising and lowering the stabilizers other than the manual wrench

Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
edited September 2020 in Products and Accessories
Hi there all you wise and knowing T@Bber’s.Has anyone out there found a way to use an impact driver to help raise  and lower the stabilizers on a 2020 T@B 320 BD. I have a healing torn rotator cuff and this up and down with the one metal handle is taking a toll on my recovery. I can’t find anything that works on that metal bolt with the two small teeth that is on the trailer. I can get socket that is close but it spins a bit and I don’t want to wear those little “teeth” down. I thought NuCamp might have an adapter but no luck going through my dealer. Any work well for you?
Kr@cken
2020 T@B 320 Boondock
Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
Clueless about everything electronic
2020 Subaru Ascent 
Bainbridge Island, Wa

Comments

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    If it’s the same as the stabilizers on the 320: 
    Ultra-Fab Products 48-979071 Ultra T-Slot Drill Attachment for Scissor Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q6ISG4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eT7sFbWJSHVCH
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    edited August 2020
    Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for just using the wrong description while shopping. Do you use an extender?
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Seconding Marceline’s recommendation for using a drill and socket (I use a different one, no longer made). The one she recommended should work on your 2020. Just be aware that you’ll need to go slow, and lube the screw mechanism of the jack once in a while to keep things running smoothly.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Thank you for the advice. Lube with WD40?
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Lots of people use battery powered drills. However, an impact driver--if that is what you really meant-- is something else and I would definitely NOT use one of those!
    2015 T@B S
    Thanks Scott. I mentioned that because someone else had recommended it on another site. I have a drill also. Is that what you would recommend?
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    A regular drill is fine.  For lubricant, I would use spray lithium grease/lubricant.  WD-40 is not really a lubricant, but more a water displacer, hence the WD.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited August 2020
    Kr@cken said:
    Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for just using the wrong description while shopping. Do you use an extender?
    Regular drill, and again, go slower rather than faster. I would expect an extender is a matter of personal preference and/or any physical limitations you may have around bending to reach the jacks. A longer attachment may be easier for some folks.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Great. I’ll get some spray lithium grease. Really appreciate the advice.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Kr@cken said:
    Thanks Scott. I mentioned that because someone else had recommended it on another site. I have a drill also. Is that what you would recommend?
    Now that I think about, and impact driver would probably be okay, though I'd go with a regular drill if one was available.

I was thinking more of impact wrenches and hammer drills--different (and more aggressive) tools that will probably rip or knock your stabilizers clean off!

Too many similar looking tools with similar names for me to keep straight!  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Kr@cken - just use a cordless drill with a lithium battery.  Be careful to go slower as Victoria recommended as the feedback can hurt your wrist.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    I use a 3/4"deepwell socket. To modify it I used a thin grinding wheel to cut the needed notches. A hex to 3/8" adapter in a battery operated drill allows me to use any length extension I find necessary.
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing
    Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
    2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
    Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2020
    Use a drill/driver that offers a clutch setting, & set it on a low drill setting so it gives up whenever it meets a little resistance.  I once had mine set on drill instead of driver with clutch & ran it fast, so when it got to the end, instead of stopping, the drill then spun in my hand & sprained my wrist.  Be careful!
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    On our 400, I use a 3/4" socket with a 12" socket extension followed by a universal joint and another 12" extension.  All that goes into an adaptor for my 20V Porter Cable driver.  I lube the stabilizer threads with Fluid Film (which I swear by as the best all purpose light lubricant and rust proofing ever made) every couple of times we go camping.  Really easy and I can raise or lower all four stabilizers in about 90 seconds.  The only downside is that the driver is incredibly noisy so I try not to use it in the early morning or late evening if we are near anyone else's campsite.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
    Thank you thank you all for your great advice 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    The title of this thread gives me concern.  The stabilizers are only for stabilizing.  No lifting of trailer.  Many will argue.  It’s in the T@b manual, no lifting.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

edited August 2020
    Sorry if the post was confusing. I only use the stabilizers as recommended. They are stabilizing only. I was just referring to lifting (raising) them when traveling and dropping them at camp. I have a torn rotator cuff and the rotation on the hand crank is bit difficult so I was looking for options.

(I changed the title for you - Sharon.)
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I use my cordless drill. Silicone spray is my go to lubricant of choice, and use it regularly on all sorts of Tab stuff. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    For the 2021 T@b 320, you need a 3/4" heck socket attachment.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2020
    I did as @BogieMeister did, with the slot cut in the socket.
    Additionally I put a "swivel" adapter on my extension (a semi universal joint). It allows the socket just a little wobble. It's easier to control than a full universal joint.
    Like this:

There's one designed for your drill driver here at Home Despot:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-Impact-GOLD-3-8-in-15-Degree-Tilt-Socket-Adapter-B-35075/203696899
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Thanks for all the help.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)