Options

Towing Vehicle comfort

SarSar Member Posts: 5
I have never owned a pickup truck and am buying a new T@B 400. Does anyone out there have comments on "Comfort levels" of various towing vehicles. I am spoiled by driving a cushy Honda Odyssey and want something that will do the job (6500 lb) but also be comfortable to drive long distances. Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    I've been towing my T@B 400 with a Honda Ridgeline...and it is a very cushy ride as well...and does extremely well with towing the 400.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2020
    we well you could get the new 2021 Jeep Grand Wagoner, plugg in hybrid, combined 50mpg fuel economy, all new tech, and very comfort oriented.  Enough power to pull the trailer over any mountain pass, and 4WD to boot, after all it’s a Jeep!
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    And it will only set you back $100K!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2020
    We had a similar question in looking for a TV for our new Tab400 BDL.  We tried several different pickups and SUVs.  Of everything we drove, the Honda Ridgeline was by far the most comfortable - one of the best driving and riding automobiles I've ever been in.  Of note though, the Ridgeline is rated at 5000 lbs, which was the minimum I would consider.
    In the end, we settled on a 2017 Dodge Durango.  It had a nice balance of comfort and rated towing power (6500 lbs).  We just got the Dodge about 3 weeks ago and have only towed the trailer locally twice, so I can't really comment on that aspect (heading out next weekend to some friends, about 250 miles from home; we should learn more soon).  Since it was used, we could afford the full "Princess Package" - it's got a sun roof, fancy stereo, on board navigation, etc. 
    (Oh yeah... the Durango has the full "Trailer IV" tow package.  I wouldn't buy any vehicle without something similar.  With a lot of pickups, that comes standard; not so with SUVs.)
    2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
    A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    ChrisFix said:
    And it will only set you back $100K!
    Yes, for the fully optioned out Grand Wagonner model, I saw basic starting MSRP at around $77,500, and $60K starting MSRP for the basic Jeep Wagoner (non luxury version ).
    cheers
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! Great info. Keep it coming if someone else has a thought.
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    We had our Honda Odyssey for 12 years and I loved it! So comfortable for daily and long travels. --I still miss ol goldie.....

Dh spent quite a bit of time looking for the best TV before we bought the Tab 400. We drove many vehicles and finally chose the 2020 Ram Rebel with the 5.7L Hemi and the tow package. I was worried it would feel too big and truckish but it has really surprised me! The front seats are THE most comfortable seats we have ever had in any of our vehicles. I told him it feels like we are sitting on a nice leather couch- the kind with the recliner and cup holders built in. 
    The ride is incredible and we love the double sunroof. It is super quiet as well. I can't rave about it enough. The ONLY down side is the fact that it comes with 1 year of free SiriusXM radio which means-horror of horrors- Willy and Waylon are available 24/7 Ug!!!  ;)
    mer
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 994
    I drove and towed with Toyota Tacoma's for 25 years.  I did not realize how uncomfortable they are until this year when I upgraded to a barely used 2018 Nissan Titan Pro4x.  It tows the 400 like a dream and is so much more comfortable and roomy than the Tacoma.   We recently took a trip from Colorado to Montana and back towing the 400 and it was great.   I'll never go back to a midsize truck again.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    Please realize that the GAWR for a Tab 400 is 3900 lbs.  That is the maximum weight that the trailer can weigh including all your stuff.  The trailer frame/axles are not rated for more. Saying you need a tow capacity of 6,500 lbs is not necessary.  Lots of vehicles are available that can safely tow a Tab 400.  Anything with a tow rating above the GAWR of a Tab 400 is an option to think about.

2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    dlb said:
    Please realize that the GAWR for a Tab 400 is 3900 lbs.  That is the maximum weight that the trailer can weigh including all your stuff.  The trailer frame/axles are not rated for more. Saying you need a tow capacity of 6,500 lbs is not necessary.  Lots of vehicles are available that can safely tow a Tab 400.  Anything with a tow rating above the GAWR of a Tab 400 is an option to think about.

Well, it depends on the GCWR of the vehicle. If you load the vehicle up with gear, a full tank of gas, the dogs, and passengers, you have less than the 6500 lbs available. The full 6500 is only available with a driver, no gear, and 1/2 tank of gas.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We are towing with a 2016 Ford F150 Lariat edition. Very comfortable and pretty fancy for a truck! 
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    We have become soft, haha
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    2017 F-150 King Ranch LOADED including seat massage, of course heated or air conditioned seats and a heated steering wheel. 3.5 Ecoboost, plenty of juice to pull, rides great, drives great. As an added plus, it will pass almost anything for SUV's or trucks (if you are in a hurry).
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    jeanneshort55jeanneshort55 Member Posts: 3
    We love our Lexus GX. Tows 6600lb, comfortable, and ours has a rear end system to raise and lower the rear, which has helped with hooking/unhooking the camper (mainly to disengage the ball from the hitch). 
  • Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

In my opinion if you really want to be comfortable and travel a lot of miles per day towing a 400 you want a half ton pickup. It can be argued it's overkill and it probably is but you will feel little stress in bad weather conditions add going uphill has minimal effect on the truck. There are downsides to a halftime like using it for daily driving but if you want to be comfortable towing a 400 that's the way to go.

• Options
    kellywkellyw Member Posts: 56
    I’ve never owned a pickup until I bought a Honda Ridgeline and a 400 this summer. I had towed my 320 with a Honda Pilot and I looked at several trucks knowing I’d need more towing capacity for the 400 and the f150 and the like we’re just “too much truck” for me. I must say the RL is extremely comfortable, handles the hills fine and is a great tow vehicle thus far for my 2021 400 BD. Having said that there are not a lot of huge mountains with really high elevations where I live so you may want to take that in to consideration. I don’t see myself going out west for a few years and if I do I’ll just be a slowpoke over the mountains. 😂 I’m also only 5’4” and climbing in and out of a big truck without assistance would have been a daily pain in the tush. The Ridgeline was a good compromise between tow vehicle and a daily driver. It can tow 5000 Lbs and with the smaller tongue weight on the 2021 400 - it suits my needs perfectly. Good luck with you search @Sar - if you like your Oddesy go test drive a RL. Very similar comfort levels!
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock White/White; TV: 2020 Honda Ridgeline 
    2015 T@B Sofitel Silver/Silver;  TV: 2011 Honda Pilot
    Maryland's Eastern Shore - Ravens, Crabs, Bohs & O's!

Traveling with Violet Bean, most of the time...
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    edited September 2020
    Tow vehicles are like shoes.  If everyone agreed on the “most comfortable”, we’d all wear the same.  

There are dozens of tow vehicles that can safely tow the 400 BDL, and most of us would defend our choice as the best/most comfortable... for us.  It usually comes down to how the investment will be experienced in its entirety, not just when towing.  A cushy ride around town to one might seem squishy/unsure when towing to another.  A more rigid frame to one might constitute overall comfort while towing to one with a “utility” bias, but might seem abrupt or stiff to one who likes a softer ride.  We all have slightly different valuation criteria and priorities for what constitutes bad, good, better, best, and perfect... with our own “logic” behind our decisions.  

Getting points of view is a good idea, and this forum is incredible for that, but I’m sure you realize there will never be a substitute for developing your own set of likes and priorities.  What is comfortable to one is rarely the same level of “comfortable” to another, and so you are your only true judge in the end.  

I’d say put comfort aside first, and just decide your own priorities around price, safety, utility, capability, and reliability.  Then, read up on others opinions (no dearth of those on this forum) best you can in your highest priority areas if you’d like.  But don’t limit ideas to just this forum, even though it’s obvious we’re the smartest group of people on this planet :)   Personally, in the past, I’ve spent weeks obsessively going over and over YouTube reviews of my choices (drives the wife crazy, by the way).  If you evaluate and align those opinions with your own priorities, you could probably narrow the list down to just a few. 

Finally, armed with knowledge on the capability of each choice to meet all those priorities, take your own top 3 or 4 choices to a dealer (or dealers), put your rear in the seat, and try them yourself.  You’ll know the right choice in terms of “comfort” for you only after you’ve done your personal comparisons in person, and that is always the most important step.  

I guess I should add that we love towing our 400 BDL with the Jeep GC.  I am sure there are more cushy rides.  But, we were a bit surprised by the level of “comfort” in the vehicle itself overall, given that it’s meant to go off road confidently.  So, our comfort priority was only one of many that made it perfect for us.  

All in all, it comes down to what constitutes ‘comfort’ for you.  So happy hunting, and  best of luck!
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Many of the more current pickups with more than the lowest trim levels are almost as luxurious as high end sedans.  Six-way adjustable seats and adjustable pedals/steering wheel (with memory), heated/cooled seats, lumbar support, all electric windows and mirrors, zoned air-conditioning, high-fidelity stereo systems, top end navigation systems, and on and on.  Oh, of course there are cup holders all over the cab!
    Figure out what comfort features are important to you and go test drive several of the ones you think you might like and see how they fit you.  You'll have to put up with a salesman telling you non-stop about how wonderful his product is but just ignore him as much as possible and focus on the features you are interested in.  If nothing else just sit in a few at the dealership to check for ease of entry/exit, headroom, hip room, etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Also, the full size SUVs are very capable, and comfortable.  You can tow a trailer the size and weight of a TaB400 with mNy of thenew larger SUVs.
    cheers
  • Options
    JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    What are some of your other requirements? What's your budget? Knowing those 2 things will be helpful to provide any additional commentary.

2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
  • Options
    Great comments! I test drove the Honda Ridgeline yesterday. It certainly fulfills my comfort requirement and I think towing capacity is adequate. Doing a little math to figure out what my weight might (water, propane, supplies) etc and I think extra weight (including trailer) will be 4,000 or less. So if I can afford the Ridgeline, I think that will be my choice. Thanks so much everyone!
  • Options
    TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    I totally agree with #ADRawli.  
    We had narrowed it down to 3 very different vehicles: the Honda Ridgeline, the Ford Ranger, and the Dodge Durango.  Part of our criteria was late model, gently used.  We took several trips to a dealer that had all three, wound up with a very patient sales person, and then spent a long morning test driving, comparing and crunching numbers.  In the end I'm happy with the Dodge, but really anyone would have been fine.
    2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
    A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I would drop the Ford Ranger from your list, it is the least capable of the three.  The Ranger is more of a Sport truck like the Tacoma, not as comfortable on the long haul as the Durango or Ridgeline.  I have no experience with a Ridgeline, looks OK on paper, but my be a hot undersized overall.
    A friend has an older Durango she tows a 16-foot Airstream Bambi all over the west coast and BC area, and is quite happy with the Durango performance.

But the bottom line, is what you think will work for you.
    cheers
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Before you decide on the RL search for folks that switched to something else, more than one person has found the towing and weight ability inadequate despite others liking the vehicle. There are always two sides, and while I have no experience with a RL I have read some folks switched to something with a bit more capacity. It may be fine for you, just don't go into a purchase without looking at pros and cons.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I’m a truck guy especially for camping related towing.  My Tacoma was great for our 320 Boondock, but if I’d have a Tundra for a 400.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    ElkTabElkTab Member Posts: 11
    I've towed my Tab with a Chevy 1500 extended cab (work truck) and my Ford F150 4-door. Both will cruise at interstate speeds from Missouri to Wyoming without any trouble. The 5.4 V8 in my F150 hardly notices the Tab is there. For extra long trips having a TV with more towing capacity is nice. 
    '07 Thor T@B, '07 Ford F150 Lariat 

• Options
    Yes, yes it is...
    cheers
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited September 2020
    If you prefer a car to a truck, the Volvo XC-90 has a very sophisticated and capable AWD system and is one of the most comfortable cars on the planet. Nearly all Volvo's can tow, it's just a matter of capacity. The XC-90 - or V-90 Cross Country if you don't want an SUV - can tow up to 5,000 lbs, so should easily be able to handle the T@B 400.

I've owned several Volvo's over the years, and made at least three transcontinental winter trips with them, often in heavy snow and extreme cold (minus 35F in Big Sky two years ago). On the same trip, we were forced to detour over Loveland Pass when I-70/Eisenhower Tunnel closed due to near blizzard conditions. The Volvo's Haldex AWD system allowed us to (relatively) safely transit one of the highest mountain passes (11,900 ft) in North America in over a foot of blowing snow. Have to admit that I would not even have tried if I were towing though.

In my view, no other marque comes close to Volvo in terms of comfort and safety. If you want great seats, all-weather capability and good looks for towing something relatively light like a T@B 400, the 90 series Volvo is worth a look.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    I have a relatively new Tacoma, its adequate and I am sticking with it.  But if I was specifically buying a new tow vehicle, I would get a Ford Transit with the v6 EcoBoost motor.  So many choices for length, cabin height, and style (Cargo, Crew, or Passenger) but all have more than adequate towing capacity and can tote loads of stuff in the van (way more payload capacity than my Tacoma).  I have a friend who owns one and he raves about how nicely it drives.
  • Options
    SierraSierra Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2020
     2019 Tab 400 boondock. We towed with a 2014 Tacoma crew cab and it was very thirsty. Decided to upgrade to the 2020 rebel eco diesel. 
    The difference is amazing. My partner describes the difference as first class and economy. So comfortable, lots of room. We got a Tonneau cover too so even more space for all our toys. The extra towing capacity and stability makes it a very easy tow and far more relaxing. The new engine design is very quiet for a diesel.  We have no regrets. 
    Having said that, we work in forestry and think the Tacoma is still the best vehicle to withstand continuous use off-road/dirt road. 
    The Tacoma also fine for the 320 size (we had a 2006 Dutchman for years)

Also keep in mind that the rebel is not recommended for a camper on the box  (in case you change your mind later and decide you don’t want to pull a travel trailer) Friends have been very happy with Ram Laramie which might  serve for both if you want keep options open. 
    Also keep in mind that you have to really research the capacities etc. the “as advertised “  may not apply to your model. Ie -diesel versus gas, extra off road features like skid plates, off road suspension.  different gear ratios, fuel tank size.  bla bla bla My head was spinning doing the research. 
    Good Luck and Happy searching. 

2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite