Options

Install house Microwave in T@B 320

Can I plug in a home Microwave which use 120 Volts AC, 1000 watts in one receptacle inside the T@B 320 if I plug in shore Power? Will it trip or damage anything? 
Can I also plug in when I am on battery?

Thanks for any comments

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Not on battery, uses too much juice even on an inverter. Shore power you should have no problem if you aren't running anything else

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    @huanvanho - the outlets inside and outside your TaB only operate when connected to shorepower as those circuits bypass the converter to maintain 120 v AC.  

If on battery, the microwave draws 1000 watts, so 1000 watts / 12 volts = 83 amps drawn from your battery over an hour.  And, as Carol mentioned - you need a hefty inverter.

At least one member on the forum uses a 700 watt MW on battery, but he recharges using solar.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    Keep in mind that 1000 watts is the cooking energy. Actual energy used is significantly higher, as microwaves are not efficient, and they have a startup surge of power. To run a 1000w microwave, plan on a fairly big inverter and much, much bigger batteries.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    huanvanhohuanvanho Member Posts: 47
    I plan to use microwave just for few minutes just to heat up something. Do you know what size of the inverter inside the T@B 320 now?  Will it take 700 Watts Microwave for few minutes? My solar should recharge the battery over time. Thanks
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Not all TaBs have inverters.  What year and model TaB do you have?  How big of battery do you have?
  • Options
    Looking at your previous posts, you have a 2017. There is no stock inverter on that model year, though if you aren’t the original owner it’s possible there’s one installed. I would say that for a 1000 watt microwave, you’ll need an inverter capable of handling at least double that, more likely you’re best off with one capable of handling 3000 watts, as inverters have a tendency to shut down when dealing with surges that are too near their full capacity. You’ll need to install that inverter directly wired to the battery, and use very thick cables to do so because of the current they’ll need to carry.

As @Mouseketab noted, this really is not a practical idea due to the amount of battery power it will take to run one. My microwave at home is the most used appliance in my kitchen, and yet I’ve found there’s absolutely nothing I can’t heat on the stove when on the road.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    When I travel with higher wattage appliances, like an instant pot, I have a portable table and use the pedestal plug rather than the trailer's outlet...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    huanvanhohuanvanho Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2020
    Thanks. I guess I will use Shore power for Microwave
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    We use a small Home style 750 watt microwave on shore power inside Out 2018 TaB400 on the galley outlet.  The factory installed 1800 Watts Pure Sine Wave Power inverter will not run the microwave, shuts off after 20-30 seconds on the inverter outlet.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @I’m with @VictoriaP in that there is nothing I can’t cook or warm up on the stove. The microwave is permanently installed at home and I can revert back to pre-microwave cooking while camping. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    I’m with @VictoriaP in that there is nothing I can’t cook or warm up on the stove. The microwave is permanently installed at home and I can revert back to pre-microwave cooking while camping. 
    I can’t say I *enjoy* cooking the old fashioned way...things like microwaves and Instant Pots and electric kettles are amazing inventions that make my life so much easier, and I’d love to be able to use them on the road. But this is one of the compromises I’ve had to make in buying a tiny trailer versus something bigger that I could load up with six batteries, an enormous inverter, and 1000 watts of solar. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,668
    edited September 2020
    On battery: using a 1000 watt appliance would mean at least a 2000 watt inverter, or more, as Victoria points out.   That inverter has to be wired directly to the battery, either from inside the trailer, or connected to the battery outside the trailer with various connectors, such as battery clamps, etc.  As Sharon-is-Sam pointed out, those 83 amp hours works out to about 1.3 amps per minute......round that up to about 2 amps per minute due to various inefficiencies.
    So, if it is really worth it to you for that two or three minutes of microwaving, it will cost you about 6 amp hours from your battery.  Which, correct, is not too much.  Just wonder if it is worth it.
    The bigger issue is what Denny16 pointed out.  Microwaves are really sensitive devices, and they still use one of the last vacuum tubes in any consumer device.  The power has to be pretty stable for them to work right.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited September 2020
    I know this thread is about the microwave, and don't want to hijack it, but am very curious to see if anyone has used a sous vide immersion cooker.
    An immersion cooker consumes a fair amount of current, and generally also needs to run for long time, so it's use would probably have to be restricted to those times when shore power was available. The advantages are that the device itself doesn't take up much space (though it does require water and a container of some sort) and that there's not really any clean up afterward.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @CharlieRN..no sous vide but we do bring our 3qt instant pot, our T@b already has the built in microwave...we use the pedastal for our outdoor plug and set up a table near to it...venting the pot is better outside the trailer...and love one pot cooking!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,668
    I've used a 3 qt insta pot off the battery.  A 2000 watt inverter attached to the battery with battery clamps, and the pot plugged in.  The Insta Pot is rated at 700 watts.  It really only uses the 700 watts while the unit is coming up to pressure (it does cycle up and down while heating).  After pressure is reached, the unit cycles back and forth from 100 to 700 watts.....only hitting the 700 watt level for a second or so.  I estimated then I was using 58 amps per hour, or about 12 amp hours from my stock battery.  The pot roast was totally worth it. But it isn't something simple enough to want to deal with.  Some boring day I'll set this up and see what my Victron has to say about the power consumption.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @CharlieRN Sous vide sounds better to me than the Instant Pot (which I absolutely adore at home) just from a cleanup perspective.

At home, I tend to batch cook in the IP, then portion out and freeze individual meals in vacuum sealed bags. When dinner rolls around, I pull out a serving and microwave it. On the short trips I’ve taken, the main difference is that I reheat on the stove, but sous vide could work for that. Hmmm....need to look up what kind of hit the battery would take doing that, since sous vide has long cooking times. I think you’re right about shore power only.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    @huanvanho - the outlets inside and outside your TaB only operate when connected to shorepower as those circuits bypass the converter to maintain 120 v AC.  

If on battery, the microwave draws 1000 watts, so 1000 watts / 12 volts = 83 amps drawn from your battery over an hour.  And, as Carol mentioned - you need a hefty inverter.

At least one member on the forum uses a 700 watt MW on battery, but he recharges using solar.

@Sharon_is_SAM I'm considering trying this with a 700w MW with my solar. Is there anything I have to worry about blowing up/out if it doesn't work?
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    @ReenieG, if you search for microwave and look for an older post by @Tabaz, he describes how he uses his small microwave with solar. Be patient looking through the discussions because it might be from 2016 or 2017. Tabaz is always very thorough and informative on his information. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    We have a TaB400 with the factory 193-watt solar, 200 amp battery, and a 1200 pure sine wave watt inverter.  We got a 700-watt small microwave and the inverter didn’t have the power to run it, the microwave would start on the inverter, run for 20-30 seconds, then the inverter would shut down.  I discovered a so called 700 watt microwave can draw up to 1500 watts when running.  You would need a 2000 watt Pure Sine Wave type inverter to run the microwave on battery power.  The inverter is going to put a lost on your battery, so a 2,000 watt inverter is going to require a 200 amp battery at a minimum, and a solar setup that is large enough to recharge the battery.  
    Cheers
  • Options
    @ReenieG - I assume you mean that you will use an inverter to run the MW and then recharge your battery via solar.  Yes, it will work.  Check out this thread:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2566/microwave-the-sequel
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    But, you are going to need a big 2,000 watt inverter to run a home type 700 watt microwave.  A 2,000 watt inverter needs a 150-200 amp AGM battery, or 100 amp lithium battery, to give you the power you will need.  While doable, is the added cost going to offset how often you will use the microwave.  
    I came to the conclusion this was a doable on our TaB400, where I only need to spend $300, but decided not to do the upgrade until I see how much I would need to use a microwave.  
    On a TaB320, you are going to need around 150-watts of solar to charge a 100-amp lithium (which would fit) or 200amp AGM (which is going to add weight to the to the tongue), and the inverter that can do a 2,000 watts continuous output.  Not all so called 2,000 watt inverters can do this, out 1800 watt Pure Sine Wave inverter (nüCamp factory install) only outputs 1200 watts continuously.
    Also, even a small microwave takes up quite a bit of space in a small trailer, where space is at a premium.  These are just some points and issues to consider to help you work out if this is a project you need or want to peruse.
    cheers
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2020
    @Denny16 I'm planning on installing a Hepvo valve and fitting it under my sink.
    @Sharon_is_Sam I was thinking I would be able to plug it into the outlet plug for the fridge that's under there... no? After thinking about that, I suppose that would only be for shore power? Or does that plug work on the battery too for the fridge? Geez, I might have to look at a wiring diagram to learn more. I'm pretty good at researching things but the solar stuff is a new animal to me. I've only researched a little of it so far.
    I'm new to all of this, so please be kind and patient with me. ;)
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    The 120VAC plug for the fridge is for shore power only, I am going to use the spare receptacle on the fridge to connect our microwave.  The Inverter has its own dedicated receptacle on most TaBs with a factory inverter.  Some newer models use a shared shore/inverter power receptacle, but the fridge 120VAC receptacle is shore pier only on all models with a 2-way fridge, as the 12VDC side of the fridge is directly wired to the trailer’s 12 VDC power system.  If the fridge gets 120VAC, it runs in that, when no power is on the 129VAC p,up, it switches to 12VDC operation.
    cheers
  • Options
    @ReenieG - the 120v outlet under the sink is only active on shorepower.  Please look in your converter box and try to identify the circuit and fuse each appliance and outlet.  That is a good place to start with learning about all the electrics in your TAB.  That will also help to determine if you can run the microwave from the same circuit as your frig.  Before you do that MW install, you may want to confirm that.  Some folks use the 120v outlet on the campground pedestal to run their MW - just to avoid tripping a circuit breaker in the TaB while on shorepower.

Then, if you want to use your MW when boondocking like TabAz, then you need to have a 2,000 watt pure sine wave inverter wired between an outlet and your battery.  

• Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345

thinking of buying this microwave -- it is 600W, and reviews say that it has a maximum draw of 950W.  A few questions:

1.  let's get the stupid question out of the way first -- I bought a 2020 T@B320S in June... does it have a standard inverter that powers a 120v outlet?  Which outlet, if any?  Good for how much wattage?  If there is an inverter, I assume it is clear that it is not sufficient to run even this microwave.

2.  My Toyota RAV4 Adventure has a built-in inverter with a 120v outlet.  Any chance that will work for this microwave with the car running?  not running?

3.  I have a Black & Decker PPRH5B 500 W AC/DC Portable Power Station.  Any chance I can plug into that, while that is plugged into my RAV4? Or not?

I might be inclined to buy this microwave anyway, and just use it on shore power... or not.   We've been out 25 nights so far, and only have shore power when we moochdock, which has been about 1/3 of the time.  Still...

Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    1. @YanniLazarus, there was no option for a standard inverter on the 320 models.  If you check the nüCamp website, at the bottom of the page is a listing for the options for the 2020 T@B 320’s. It’s nice to keep a copy of this for future reference and future sale. 

2. You’ll have to check your inverter. My 2015 Toyota Tacoma had a 400 watt inverter, and that is not sufficient for your above listed microwave. 

3. See #2

The microwave would work well on shore power and be small enough to store easily. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    Verna, thank you so much for your quick response!  It is easy to love this forum (and its authority figures!!!)
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I have the following microwave:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-0-7-Cu-Ft-700W-Microwave-Oven/53986440
    Bought it on sale recently for around $39.  It plugs into a dedicated outlet that goes to a 2,000 Watt inverter located in the cabinet under the Norcold frig (2016 T@B).  This inverter is wired directly to two 6V batteries in the propane tub.  I have a Zamp 200W solar suitcase.  The microwave works great with the solar.  However, it does use a lot of juice when running, so I try to avoid using it after sunset because I'll need it to make breakfast before sunrise.  A minor inconvenience.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    @YanniLazarus,  No you will not be able to run a microwave off yiur car or the Black and Decker 500 watt power unit.  Neither have enough AC capacity.  Your 600 Watt microwave will actually use 950+ watts.   See my previous post above.
    Our so-called 700 watt microwave actually draws 1050+ watts, and a 1200/1800 watt inverter will not run it.  You are going to need at least 2000 watt inverter to run any small home style microwave.  You might find a RV type microwave that will draw less watts.  
    Cheers