Options

Does anyone use the Andersen system for leveling a T@B 400

jpi68jpi68 Member Posts: 80
edited October 2020 in Products and Accessories
Andersen Camper Leveler 3604 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GC2LVM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_v21DFbW667MRX

The last two times I tried to use this, my trailer slipped off, and came off the hitch Support.... near disaster....

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have used ut for about three years and never had it slip. Can you give more details about how you were using it and how far up the jack yoy were?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I’ve used this for the past year and it serves it’s purpose.  The smooth transition allows you to dial-in the exact amount of level versus using blocks that are a fixed height.  The one negative I would say - and you have to allow for it - is the sloped nature of the block can put your hitch into a bind when you go to unhitch your TV.  You’ve either backed up or pulled forward, keeping tension on the hitch until the wheel is chocked.  You must release that tension before attempting to unhitch.  Some trial & error and advice on this site helped me get past this issue.  I don’t have any plans to change my chocks right now.
  • Options
    TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    We use it. It is easy, fast and once we slip in both pieces, stable.

I would like to know the situations in which your 400 has slipped off of it. Was it off the side, or the front or back? How was the site sloped?

We really like ours and have never had a problem. But, I would like to know if there are situations we should avoid.
    2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • Options
    jpi68jpi68 Member Posts: 80
    I was pretty high up on the jack both times I slid off... Probably my bad... Also, I pulled up on the jack, maybe better to back onto it... Don’t know...
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I use Anderson levelers and did have an incident of slipping.  I put Non-slip 4 inch strips on the bottom of the leveler and have not had any further issues.  I switched to Anderson levelers from Legos as they allow much quicker setup.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Our Anderson leveler system came with a soft rubber pad to prevent slipping on hard surfaces, to keep the wedge from coming out from under the wheel.  Works great, quick and easy to level.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited October 2020
    We added no-slip grip tape (similar to sandpaper texture) to our Anderson levelers as well. It worked great for our old twin-axle camper and we plan on taking a set with us when we get our Tab in the spring.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    TNOutback said:
    The one negative I would say - and you have to allow for it - is the sloped nature of the block can put your hitch into a bind when you go to unhitch your TV.  You’ve either backed up or pulled forward, keeping tension on the hitch until the wheel is chocked.  You must release that tension before attempting to unhitch.  Some trial & error and advice on this site helped me get past this issue.  I don’t have any plans to change my chocks right now.
    You are supposed to pull forward onto the level, not back onto it.. Backing onto it will put the weight forward onto the hitch making the coupler impossible to engage and disengage.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I have done both, but pulling forward on the leveler is easier.  If backing down on setup, once you get your level set, place the mating chock in front to keep the trailer from rolling forward.  Now you can release your TV brake and allow,it to pull slightly forward, taking the pressure off the hitch. The tongue will now pick up and off the hitch ball.
    cheers
  • Options
    b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    jkjenn said:
    TNOutback said:
    The one negative I would say - and you have to allow for it - is the sloped nature of the block can put your hitch into a bind when you go to unhitch your TV.  You’ve either backed up or pulled forward, keeping tension on the hitch until the wheel is chocked.  You must release that tension before attempting to unhitch.  Some trial & error and advice on this site helped me get past this issue.  I don’t have any plans to change my chocks right now.
    You are supposed to pull forward onto the level, not back onto it.. Backing onto it will put the weight forward onto the hitch making the coupler impossible to engage and disengage.
    Huh, I'll have to try that! lol

I think this Andersen system is great, and has worked flawlessly since getting it for our 400 (despite my always backing onto it, usually a result of my always wanting to get the back end up close to an obstacle. 

I forgot about the rubber mat, would have come in handy on my last trip...
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited October 2020
    @b407driver
    Yeah, try pulling onto it...works very well. I always back in the extra couple of feet beyond where I want to setup so that when pulled onto the Andersen, I'm where I want to be. Of course if you are trying to really snug up against an obstacle, that might not be ideal for you.
    But the Andersen (particularly in conjunction with the LevelMate Pro) is a great, fast, and easy system.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    ChrisFix said:
    @b407driver
    Yeah, try pulling onto it...works very well. I always back in the extra couple of feet beyond where I want to setup so that when pulled onto the Andersen, I'm where I want to be. Of course if you are trying to really snug up against an obstacle, that might not be ideal for you.
    But the Andersen (particularly in conjunction with the LevelMate Pro) is a great, fast, and easy system.
    The Anderson with the Level Mate is the simplest system that exists. It's simply a great combination!

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Yes, yes they are.  I can put the iPad in the trailer and watch the iPhone to see when it is level, using the Level Pro App on both the phone and iPad.
    cheers
  • Options
    SierraSierra Member Posts: 42
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, yes they are.  I can put the iPad in the trailer and watch the iPhone to see when it is level.
    cheers
    How do you do that?
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    It is one of the features of Level Mate the Level Pro app.
    cheere
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    What's the reason for the iPad in the trailer? I just use my phone to connect to the LevelMate Pro, and can monitor and adjust the leveling from the car while driving onto the Andersen.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    Agree backing onto the wedge is not ideal, but have been in a situation where I didn’t have the room to back further in order to pull forward onto the wedge.  Whether backing on or pulling forward, releasing the coupler tension is key before attempting to unhitch.
  • Options
    RobynERobynE Member Posts: 31
    Hi, I just bought the Level Mate and the Anderson ramp, but I haven't tried it yet.  I'm understand about the tension on the coupler, but what exactly do you mean by "releasing the coupler tension is key" How exactly do you release the coupler tension? 

Thanks
  • Options
    You chalk the trailer wheels and juggle thenTV back and forth to get the coupler ball mid way between the front and back,of the ball, so it will release and fall out as the trailer is lifited.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    RobynE said:
    Hi, I just bought the Level Mate and the Anderson ramp, but I haven't tried it yet.  I'm understand about the tension on the coupler, but what exactly do you mean by "releasing the coupler tension is key" How exactly do you release the coupler tension? 

Thanks
    Hi @RobynE
    As @jkjenn explains above, if you back on the wedge, the ball on your draw bar will be pushing against the coupler, which can often make it hard to disengage the coupler. If the last thing you do before unhitching is pull forward - even just an inch or two - the coupler should open more easily.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    The Andersen wedge and the LevelMate are a great combination.  By design though, that wedge will leave your ball hitch under tension when you stop for level on the wedge.  Once level, I will cycle my transmission to Park and then into Drive or Reverse and back to Park.  That little bit of cycling will induce enough slack under the coupler to unhitch.  If that doesn’t work, then slightly pulling forward or backing in the opposite direction of how you got up on the wedge will relieve the tension and allow you to unhitch.  I will also jump up and down on the bumper to release it sometimes as well.
  • Options
    Awesome responses! Thanks! I know exactly what to do now.  I will be trying the combo set up this weekend. I've used the BAL for 8 years, but then thought, hum, I wonder what it would be like to not have to lug that heavy thing every trip!  
  • Options
    Ok, new question, where are you guys mounting the leveler little black box on a T@B 400?
  • Options
    I mounted it underneath the door-side front dinette seat.  I also tapped the wires to the USB outlet underneath there to power the unit, forgoing the need for the included battery.
  • Options
    Thanks. I didn't get the one that has the USB option, so I'm stuck with batteries.  That sounds like a good spot to me!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Ok, working through this in my mind. So once I'm on the leveler where I want to be, I'm thinking I would want to set the parking brake on my TV? Then get out and place the additional chock piece, then get back into my TV and release the parking brake. I'm thinking that might also relieve the tension once the TV moves a bit from releasing the parking brake. I'm sure it will make better sense once I'm actually doing it! 

It also sounds like pulling forward onto the leveler will prevent the tension on the hitch ball in the first place.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Pulling forward or backing will press the hitch ball against one end or the other on the hitch.  If you are on a sloped surface, the vehicle will roll down hill and can jam the hitch also.  You want the hitch ball centered in the TaB hitch, so the vehicle hitch ball will dropmout as you lift the trailer up.

Yes, add additional chalks, the Anderson wedge has a second wedge you place under the tire on the low side of the wedge, or under the big wedge if the low end lifts up.  I caulk the other tire on the high side.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    mjwaldnermjwaldner Member Posts: 44
    We use the CARMTEK Camper Leveler and never had them slip if your looking.
    CARMTEK Camper Leveler Kit https://a.co/d/cIyhl8K
    2021 400 BD / 2019 Honda Passport Elite / Nashville, TN
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited October 2022
    I use this pretty generic type that's basically the same as the Carmtek one posted above, but cheaper decide if you need to place extra rubber for grip or not: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NJSXRRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's very grippy, never slips, and doesn't bother with the unnecessary plastic in the Andersen type design.

Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    I like the Beach Lane leveler made of nylon and American Made, lifetime warranty. Hard to find a single leveler. They sell the twin-pack for two axle trailers.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul