Options

Lifting tires during winter storage

I have a 2021 T@b 320S and live in the northeast. I have wintered it and it is now in storage. The storage unit is a garage with no room to move the T@b around.  I jacked the front to get it level and put it on some blocks. Not sure if that was necessary but it made sense. Should I consider jacking the camper up to take the pressure off the tires? If so, what do you use to do this, how many, and where do you place them? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited October 2020
    Mine stays parked outside (under a cover) for the better part of seven months. I park it large boards so they don't sink in, but I don't lift the trailer in any way. Five winters now and no indication of any harm to the tires.

My understanding (perhaps incorrect) is that even if flat spots do form, they tend to work themselves out once you start rolling.

That said, I am interested in other responses to your question, as I plan to have my T@B up on blocks for a bit while I inspect and service the bearings.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    The latest 320 owner manual does recommend storage on jack stands to prevent tire flat spotting.  You need to avoid placement of the jack and stand on the axle.  

We store inside and a carpet is placed under the tire to prevent moisture collection.  No problems with flat spotting.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Radial tires tend not to flatten. If/when they do, they “roll out.” Bias ply’s...? Different story.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited October 2020
    We store our t@b under a cover in the backyard. It sits on 2 exterior grade plywood 4' X 8' sheets. Pretty harsh Michigan winters and we've not had any problems. First 2 winters were on the manufacturer standard tires and in 2018 we upgraded to the Goodyear Endurance with still no changes or difficulties. Good luck with the decision making, but we see no reason to get the t@b weight off of it's tires.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I guess if it makes you feel better, but flat spotting, or other precieved ills of sitting on ground or with weight on tires is mostly a hold over from bias ply tires from decades ago. A trailer tire almost always times out before wearing out and should be replaced regularly (safely 3-5 years, maybe 7 if you are a gambler), so for the most part covering tires, jacking off ground and so on are just wasted effort, tire really won't have a longer service life.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    da_tabda_tab Member Posts: 6
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm going to go without lifting the tires!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2020
    That makes the most sense.  If you have a dirt or muddy drive where 
    the trailer is stored, put a 2x6 under each wheel to lift it out of the wet and mud.  A gravel or paved surface will drain water away.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    God forbid the tires should get wet or muddy!😂😂
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    This is from Goodyear about their RV tires...

Weather cracking is a naturally occurring condition that results from exposure to heat and sunlight. Goodyear's warranty for weather cracking is four years from purchase date (or four years from manufacture date if proof of purchase is not available).

Weather cracking is common in RV tires from all manufacturers.

• Appears as crazing and or cracking in the flex area of the sidewall
    • Probable causes of sidewall weathering
      • — Long periods of inactivity or storage
      • — Direct exposure to air and sunlight
      • — Exposure to high levels of ozone (smog, electrical generators)
      • — Excessive washing or dressing using alcohol or petroleum based cleaners

When should the tire be replaced?

• Cracks > 2/32" deep
    • Internal components of tire (steel or fabric body plies) are visible

Without evidence of weather cracking, use the following as a gauge:

• Usage per year --More frequent usage will result in longer life
    • Vehicle storage practices (6 months loaded with little or no rotation is not good!)
    • Casing quality --Absence of repairs, liner wrinkles, weather cracking, sidewall scuffs or cuts
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Ya, but  6 months?
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RogerLRogerL Member Posts: 24
    The tires may be OK, but the Dexter Axle manual indicates: If your trailer is to be stored for an extended period of time or over the winter, it is important that the trailer be prepared properly: 2. Jack up the trailer and place jack stands under the trailer frame so that the weight will be off the tires.
    2018 T@B 320CS-S, 2018 GMC Canyon SLT
    Urbana, MD
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    Thought I’d add to the historical record regarding this practice. Decided to finally start storing our 2021 400 on jack stands. 
    At the beginning of spring this year I noticed our Rainer Apex tires had developed some cracking which may have been caused by both UV damage and sitting stationery for long periods of time. With new tires I don’t want to risk another episode of this so trying this out.

Dexter recommends this and I have to wonder if the rubber cords used in our torsion axles can eventually develop a memory due to the trailer weight? I know Dexter specifically says to store on stands.  
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Surprisingly no one has mentioned what is considered to be a standard method to avoid flat spots from extended storage, air pressure. Increase the tire air pressure by roughly 20%. If you have indoor storage, that along with parking on bits of carpet is a perfect way to store and if outside, on bits of wood. Jacking is (regardless of what Dexter suggests), unnecessary.  
    Yes, modern tires do flat spot...and generally they will return to shape with use. 
  • Options
    Put our 400 on jack stands maybe 2 1/2 weeks ago. I went out the other day to grab something out of the camper and noticed the wheels were touching the ground...upon further inspection it looks like the axle has furthered "relaxed" from the compression it was under and has allowed the tires to touch the ground (I didn't jack the camper up that high). I can still spin the wheels if I really give it some effort so there's minimal load on them. Anyway, just an interesting observation that maybe shows why Dexter recommends storing the camper on jack stands. Definitely is giving the torsion axle components a break. Whether it really benefits the axle...who knows. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    kailiu3000kailiu3000 Member Posts: 7
    2020 Tab 400 BD Lite (10/19)
    2016 Ford Expedition EL Limited 4WD
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I just roll mine a foot or two every couple of weeks (garaged).
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Or about once a month (or more or less) you can jack up one side, rotate the tire 2/3rds, let it down and repeat for the other side.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Or, save the hassle and park on tire cradles. These are the cheapest ones you will find. There are plenty of others available. 
    Tire Cradles, Set of 2 | Camping World
  • Options
    Those tire cradles look like a great solutions for flat spots. Might make sense to even use those during the season too. 

My reasoning for placing it on jack stands is also to reduce wear on the axle. Dexter recommends the practice. This is the first season of doing it. Might be snake oil but thought I’d give it a shot.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    So I just looked at this, this fits under a 400 at the jack points?

If so, I might pester the wife into getting one, because this is EXACTLY the same thing that was suggested to us for our Jeep for off-roading in the event you need to work on your rig.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jay and Kat
    Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
    Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    So I just looked at this, this fits under a 400 at the jack points?

If so, I might pester the wife into getting one, because this is EXACTLY the same thing that was suggested to us for our Jeep for off-roading in the event you need to work on your rig.
    I have this exact jack, and it CAN fit under, but it depends on the angle of the ground and front trailer jack. On my sloping driveway with the trailer leveled, it doesn't fit, but if I raise the front enough, it can.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    To lift the tires, I use the same method suggested for tire changing.  

Drop the front jack as low as possible
    Lower the rear stabilizers
    Raise the jack until the tires clear
    Lower the front stabilizers.

As mentioned, the axel rubber torsion suspension will relax.  Because of this, the wheels will drop an inch or more after a few days.  If not lifted, the rubber begins to relax in the loaded position.

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,283
    This is an option @rfuss928, but people should be aware that the trailer should not be occupied while the weight in on the stabilizers.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 614
    rfuss928 said:
    To lift the tires, I use the same method suggested for tire changing.  

Drop the front jack as low as possible
    Lower the rear stabilizers
    Raise the jack until the tires clear
    Lower the front stabilizers.

As mentioned, the axel rubber torsion suspension will relax.  Because of this, the 
    Note that this tire change method is only recommended/allowed for the 320.  The 400 is too heavy for this approach and you risk/will bend the stabilizers if you try it.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited December 2023
    Actually, nuCamp no longer recommends the three point method for neither the 320 or 400.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Getting a jack stand under those support plates is a little tricky but my truck's bottle jack is narrow enough to allow a jack stand to sit right next to it with a decent amount of that plate for it to rest on.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    I don't think the stabilizers will bend, particularly the newer, heavy ones. I am positive the floor is not stressed for this weight. You may brake your trailer. NuCamp stopped recommending that a long time ago. They may have never recommended that on the T@Bs. The T@Gs are much lighter.
    , but I think it disappeared from their manuals when they went more than 5ft wide.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"