Options

Replaced the cursed 30A cord fine-thread locking ring!

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
edited October 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
I have to thank @Tampakayaker again, for pointing me to this solution to what has been a complete pain for me, nine times out of ten, when trying to screw down that locking ring on the 30 amp cord! Always cross-threading, or busting a knuckle, especially in the cold, rain, or dark.

Replacing the ring was actually a cinch, once I realized that warming up the yellow rubber connector body would make it soft enough and pliable enough to remove and replace the ring. No dish soap necessary at all.

I simply held it under the (slow running) kitchen faucet for maybe 5 minutes, with the receptacle slots pointing up so that that the water didn't go into the connector - only run around inside the ring - and then it was easy as pie to pull off the old one and push the new one on...

It's a great improvement, and nice tight fit. I love simple (& cheap!) mods.

Thanks again @Tampakayaker.

And this will get rid of the dreaded fine threaded screw on ring, that seems to take as much time to securely screw on as setting up the rest of the camp!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BDY3KZJ/?coliid=I27161YWBEV0XW&colid=125JQV28Y904S&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This replacement ring has been posted on other threads about power problems. 

This is an Amazon review

This ring replaces the standard screw on ring used to make an RV shore power cord connection weather tight. The difference is that this does not require matching the threads, which invariably get cross threaded and damaged at worst, or is so frustrating that the ring isn't tightened at all, a very poor practice. As long as the receiving male portion has the necessary slots in it, all this requires is about 1/8th turn to lock into place. It's a bit of a pain to remove the old ring and replace it with this one--a little dish washing soap would make it easier, but still not easy. But it's well worth it. 
Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I totally agree, when I read about that I immediately ordered one. So easy now.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    I must be dense, but does this item replace the ring on the power cable or on the receptacle on the T@B?  Sorry if the answer is obvious.   :|
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    I must be dense, but does this item replace the ring on the power cable or on the receptacle on the T@B?  Sorry if the answer is obvious.   :|
    I scratched my head a bit on that as well. The ring discussed here is the one on the power cord.
    What I don't understand is if it will work on the existing outlet on the T@B.
    One review of it on Amazon says: "As long as the receiving male portion has the necessary slots in it, all this requires is about 1/8th turn to lock into place."
    Not really sure that helps me understand if it will work on our existing outlet, but it does seem to be made as a replacement for the fine threaded ring...so I'm guessing it does some how.
    If it does, I'm in for one, because the fine threads are indeed a pain to line up.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes they are Chris, I also,am getting the new ring.  If you look at the 30-amp connection on TaB, you will see a slot cut into the threads at 9 and 3 O’Clock positions, this is the slot referred to, and our 2018 TaB400 has the slots, so I would bet most TaBs do have the same connectors.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    From the beginning, I wondered why there were bayonet-type connector slots on the tab power connector, and really wished that was the type of connector we had because I had so much trouble with the threaded one.

After I got the ring put onto the end of the cord and then tried it on the Tab, it seemed like it didn't work. But it turned out that was just cuz it's such a nice tight fit. I pushed it a little harder and it went no problem.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Yes @DesertDweller, it goes on the cord. If yours has a movable ring on the Tab itself, then you have a whole different kind of connector.
    I call that end of the cord a receptacle because it's female. Don't know if that's the appropriate name or not!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Denny16 said:
    Yes they are Chris, I also,am getting the new ring.  If you look at the 30-amp connection on TaB, you will see a slot cut into the threads at 9 and 3 O’Clock positions, this is the slot referred to, and our 2018 TaB400 has the slots, so I would bet most TaBs do have the same connectors.
    cheers
    @Denny16...I just went and un-hooked my power cord and as you mention, there are two slots cut into the threaded portion of the outlet.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    there you go Chris, and Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    That ring/fine pitch thread connector is the only thing I hate about our TAB. I immediately ordered the Parkpower when I read this thread. I have a busted knuckle now from the last time I attached the power cord. Thanks for sharing this!!
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Heh! @xdr , I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that busts his knuckles on the darn thing!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    You better be careful, breaking knuckles Tonight or Count Dracula will get you, and...!  Ha, ha ha....
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    Thank you everyone for clarifying.  @ChanW, I just checked.  The black movable ring is indeed on the yellow portion of the female side of the power cord.  I think I will be ordering one of these just as soon as I confirm that the male socket on the T@B has the slots at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.  
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    I checked, and yes it does on out 2018 TaB400.
    cheers
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    @ChanW Thank you for this post. The new ring arrived today, I immediately did the hot water install and drove to my 2018 400 in storage and the cable fit perfectly. I will not miss the threading process. 
    Thanks again. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    Got mine in last night and popped it on today. Was very easy to get the old one off and the new ring on. The surprise was how easy it is to connect it and how much tighter it fits than the fine threaded ring. 
    Highly recommend this to anyone who has skinned their knuckles trying to get the old one threaded on. This is so much better...
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    With wonder and abandon, I purchased this item in a heartbeat of its post. Boiled a tub of water to soften the plug. Old, useless ring removed with dispatch. New ring forced into position without complaint. But alas, can not get the new ring to sync with the 3 and 9 o’clock tabs on my 2016 T@B. Yes, I pushed the plug into the receptacle (heretofore called the Female End). Suggestions?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Mine felt as though it wouldn't work at first, but when I pushed a bit harder toward the Tab, and twisted clockwise firmly, it went.
    Tabaz said:
    With wonder and abandon, I purchased this item in a heartbeat of its post. Boiled a tub of water to soften the plug. Old, useless ring removed with dispatch. New ring forced into position without complaint. But alas, can not get the new ring to sync with the 3 and 9 o’clock tabs on my 2016 T@B. Yes, I pushed the plug into the receptacle (heretofore called the Female End). Suggestions?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    DenisP said:
    @ChanW Thank you for this post. The new ring arrived today, I immediately did the hot water install and drove to my 2018 400 in storage and the cable fit perfectly. I will not miss the threading process. 
    Thanks again. 
    I guess living in the Sunshine State has some advantages with the heat.  My cord is stored in a black diamond plate steel box.  I got my ring today, gave a slight push on the old ring and rolled it right off the plug.  The new one went on even easier.  
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Herein lies the problem, ChanW lives in a dry clime while Tampakayaker resides in humidity. Not sure what I do next in Dry Clime Phoenix AZ.
  • Options
    pakpak Member Posts: 114
  • Options
    Yes, you still need to twist the plug once it is inserted into the TaB before locking the ring.  This should seat the plugs into the TaB socket enough to twist the lock ring.  Just give it a bit harder push twist, then lock the ring.
    cheers
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Hey, @Tabaz. Want me to fix it when I’m out there in March?  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 80
    I put mine on Tuesday before dropping our 400 off for winter storage.  This is a quality of life improvement that perhaps NuCamp will want to adopt,
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    @Tabaz, from the other side of town, I had to push very firmly and twist.  Make sure that your trailer side has the notches at 9 and 3.  Finally after 20 years on a sailboat!  The logic of the fine thread always escaped me.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    I installed mine today. First I test fit before installing on the power cord. I had to push hard once to trim off some plastic flash at 9 and 3 and slip on and twist. After the trial fit it fits like a glove. Easy peasy!
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I didn't have a problem with my old cord but the new one has been a hassle, so I will be doing this mod.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Success!  Wow - that is one tight fit.  That cord needs to be completely in the receptacle for the new ring to catch in the notches.
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    Wait. people actually use that ring?
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    I do, it gives the connection protection from water getting in.
    cheers