Options

Can 15" BD Tires/Rims replace 14" Tires/Rims T@B 320S?

Has anyone replaced their 14" tires and rims on a regular T@B 320S (or on a 400) with the 15" tires and rims that come standard on the boondock model?
2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited November 2020
    No, they will not fit, as you do not have the wheel well height clearance.  The Boondock Axle is pitched up more, raising the TaB 3-4 inches higher, to give the larger rim/tyre more clearance.  Mounting the 15-inch wheel/tyre combo on a Boondock axle is still not easy to do, given the close fit.  No way the standard axle would be able to mount the larger wheel. 

You would need to switch axles to the higher pitched Boondock axle setup, which is what we did on our TaB400.
    cheers.

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 178
    @Denny16, you actually switched axles? Hmmm... now you've piqued my interest. Do you have any specs? Links? Pics? TIA!
  • Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    We may need to go the other way to fit our 2021 Boondock under our 8-foot garage door. Only need a couple of inches.  Can we do that?  We have been letting air out of tires (down to 20 pounds), pushing in, reinflating, then repeating when we leave. Works but a bit of a drag. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @ReenieG, @jkjenn had the axle changed to the BD version on her 2014 ”320" as well. 
    I think she had the factory switch them for her.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    You should be able to do that. If you cannot get the trailer to nuCamp, they can probably tell you which axle you need.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited December 2020
    You order the BD axle kit from nüCamp, through a dealer.  We had ours shipped with the dealer’s normal trailer shipment from nüCamp and they installed the axle on the trailer.  Total coast installed with BD wheels and tires was around $1200 installed and out the door.   There is a discussion here where a TaB400 owner ordered the axle and installed it himself.
    cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16, @jkjenn, & @ChanW Thank you for the intel! I will check it out.
    Do you all think it's worth doing? I mean, rather than consider buying another T@B already set up? I already have solar and the BD platform so what else would be missing other than the Yakima rack which I really don't think I would need.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    Well, I am partial to all of the changes in the 2021 T@b, so it might not be a bad idea. It is a seller's market for used T@bs, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,496
    ReenieG said:
    @Denny16, @jkjenn, & @ChanW Thank you for the intel! I will check it out.
    Do you all think it's worth doing? I mean, rather than consider buying another T@B already set up? I already have solar and the BD platform so what else would be missing other than the Yakima rack which I really don't think I would need.
    I mean, I guess my first question is why you think you need the added Boondock height? Are you scraping coming out of your driveway? Do you need the clearance for going off road?

Yes, a used Tab will bring a decent price on the current market IF you sell it yourself. If you trade it in, not nearly so much. Then there’s the tax you paid when buying this one (and that wasn’t long ago, if I recall from your previous posts) and will pay again buying new. You can’t realistically expect to get that money back.

Now, if you want all the features of the latest and greatest model, that’s another factor. But if you only need the axle, getting that done is going to be significantly less expensive than buying another trailer, especially during a price bubble like the one we’re in.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    We purchased a slightly used late 2018 TaB400 with factory solar, and decided the Boondock axle with extra clearance would tow better behind the Jeep Tuck going down some of the dirt backroads we have where we live.  So we took some of the savings on the deal we got, and rolled it into the new axle/wheel setup.  This worked for us, as this TaB400 otherwise had what we wanted, all stock a d from the factory without a sink in the washroom, which is what we would have ordered, if buying new.

So you need to determine of your current TaB meets your needs, and if you are only going down paved roads and highways, do your  really need the Boondock axle?  If going down the backroads and fire roads, exploring new areas, than the Boondock axle may be worth the extra cost, if otherwise, you are happy with your current TaB.  A new TaB is going to cost more than the $2K difference of adding a new axle kit.

The only thing missing from our custom Boondock TaB, was the new Boondock entry handle, so we added that also.  So now for around $24K we have TaB400 Boondock, new wheels/axles/brakes (this is where most of the west on a trailer is), new front window and floor (both replaced under warranty), and I upgraded the galley sink trap to the new type currently bing used by nüCamp, so no sink back up, or need to keep water/antifreeze in the sink trap (this is the only sink we have).  

The sides of our TaB do not have any of the graphics designs either, another feature we wanted/liked.  So for us, doing the mods was worth the money and effort, as we have the RV we wanted and would have ordered if buying new for $10K less.  
    Cheers

• Options
    @jkjenn, I like the 2018 model so I think I'm good there.
    @VictoriaP @Denny16, I think you helped answer my  question on this. I mostly prefer to boondock and would like to have the clearance. Since fitting in my garage isn't a possibility the added height isn't an issue. I also upped my TV so the extra weight isn't either anymore.
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 195
    edited December 2020
    @ReenieG , this thread should help you .........

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10728/320s-boondock-outback-torsion-axle/p1

I changed out the standard axle on our 320s to a pitched "boondock" axle . If I remember the axle was approx $800. and came directly from Elsie at NuCamp (through my dealer , since thats how NuCamp has it set-up now) . I got the price with shipping from my dealer (with their mark-up of coarse !) , and it was drop shipped to me directly from NuCamp . 
    The install was fairly easy for someone mechanically inclined , but is a little dangerous as the camper will be sitting there up in the air for a little while with no axle until the swap is done . Plus the brakes need to be wired back up . I was able to use the stock 14" wheels with larger 14" "off road" tires , so I did not need to replace the nice 320S 14" wheels . Swapping to the 15" boondock size will net an additional 1"+ over the up sized 14", but the axle alone will net a good 3"-4" lift by itself . Yes, the standard 14" wheels WILL fit on a boondock axle . 

Most of the info is in the link I listed , but if you have any questions , just ask . There are a couple of members who have done this swap and would be happy to help with any questions or advise if needed . @MuttonChops , and I have done the swap on our 320's , and @atlasb has done the swap on his 400 . Prob more members as well . 

Here is another link for a swap on a 400 that @atlasb did as well , with some good detailed pictures . Its pretty much the same as a 320 swap except the 400 is a little larger . 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10373/diy-t-b-400-axle-upgrade#latest

HTH , 
    Good Luck ! 

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    edited December 2020
    @B0atguy, thank you! Would you mind posting an after pic here? I looked at that thread and only see a before pic. 
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 195
    Let see if this works @ReenieG

This is the after picture using the standard 14" 320s wheels with slightly bigger tires to fit with a pitched (boondock ) axle installed . . I can get you the exact tire size if you need . As I remember there were not many choices of tires that would fit .

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    SubmarinerSubmariner Member Posts: 14
    Is it because the wheel well not big enough for larger tires or is it the height of the axle that you cannot put bigger tires on?
    Retired Navy, 20 years submarine force, 13 years onboard boats, about 9 years underwater, and you ask that silly question, "Why are you that way?"   LOL
  • Options
    SubmarinerSubmariner Member Posts: 14
    Denny16 said:
    No, they will not fit, as you do not have the wheel well height clearance.  The Boondock Axle is pitched up more, raising the TaB 3-4 inches higher, to give the larger rim/tyre more clearance.  Mounting the 15-inch wheel/tyre combo on a Boondock axle is still not easy to do, given the close fit.  No way the standard axle would be able to mount the larger wheel. 

You would need to switch axles to the higher pitched Boondock axle setup, which is what we did on our TaB400.
    cheers.

So what does this "boondock axle cost"?

Retired Navy, 20 years submarine force, 13 years onboard boats, about 9 years underwater, and you ask that silly question, "Why are you that way?"   LOL
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Around $800 for the axle and wheels, plus shipping.  You can save shipping by ordereing from a dealer who will include the axle/wheel kit in their next nüCamp unit shipment.  That is what I did, no hurry, so waiting a few months was fine.
    cheers