Kitchen Question

jonlindajonlinda Member Posts: 6
We are considering a T@B purchase and I would love to hear your feelings about a rear kitchen vs an inside kitchen.  Any insight would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 255
    I have no experience with a rear kitchen.  However I did do some camping in upper Michigan in the late fall...and it was really nice to be able to make coffee and breakfast from the heated, dry comfort of my T@B 320S with the indoor kitchen.  If you are planning on much cool weather camping, my vote would be the inside kitchen.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We have the clamshell model.  We did not want any cooking odors in the TaB.  We are 3 season campers and we have used canopies over the galley to allow cooking when it rains.  No regrets.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited January 2021
    I have a 320S. I set up an out door kitchen in addition to the inside burners. Any stinky food is cooked outside. The inside burners are used for coffee in the morning as well as a secondary set of burners when I am preparing dinner, Boil pasta, blanching veggies, etc. FWIW, I cook as if I am at home, so sometimes I need 4 burners simultaneously! 😳😂😂
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    This is a question that has come up several times in the past. Obviously the answer is a matter of personal preference and choice, but if you to want to read lots of different opinions, I suggest searching older discussions. There are lots of insightful posts from members who may no longer be very active on the forum.

There are some considerations beyond just the kitchen location. For example, models with the outdoor kitchen will offer more interior storage space, but also have a smaller bed.

Happy pondering!
    2015 T@B S
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I think I debated this question more than any other in choosing a trailer.  I ended up going with an inside kitchen.  I am the sort that wants my coffee in my hand first thing in the morning before facing the world, so inside is convenient for that.  One day I was on a dealer's lot looking at trailers and it was really windy and rainy and I couldn't imagine standing out in that to cook (planning on using my trailer year-round) -- I think that was what sealed the decision for me.  After I bought my trailer, I signed up for Harvest Hosts and learned you have to have an inside kitchen to use HH locations, I don't know if there are other places that do not allow cooking outside.  Years ago I had a Vanagon Westfalia camper van which had an inside kitchen, so I was already accustomed to the inside kitchen concept.

On the other hand, cooking inside is a bit cramped and, if you're the sort that wants your camping friends to gather around while you are cooking, a clamshell would be more amenable to that.  Another consideration is how tall are you?  At 5'5", I can stand up comfortably in my trailer, but my 6'2" son cannot, so cooking inside would not be very comfortable for him.

All that being said, I purchased my trailer 2nd hand and, if it had happened to be a clamshell rather than an inside kitchen, I probably still would have purchased it and been just as happy.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    You can always buy a small camp stove if you are worried about smelling up the interior of the trailer as this works and you can take in the great outdoors when that yearning hits.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    I agree with Sharon-is-Sam, except we don't use a canopy.  The only thing I will add is that if it is raining hard enough to come under the raised hatch, my Wife and I both agree that it is time to go into town to get something to eat!  (PS: I do all the cooking when we camp.)
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
    Actually, you can park at Harvest Host with a clamshell.  They just don’t want you to use your galley.  Those are nights to take advantage of your Harvest Host food options or support the local economy and eat out.
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    The outside kitchen was the primary attraction of the T@B for us.  No other small trailer offers anything like it.   We cook two meals a day in our kitchen and know from experience cooking anything inside a small trailer quickly saturates everything inside with moisture and odors.  Just using the toaster inside often sets off the smoke alarm!  T@B interior preparation space is almost non-existent.   An inside kitchen in a small trailer is not an option for us
    A less obvious benefit is the additional living space the outside kitchen creates inside.  The whole front of the trailer is available for whatever fits your style and needs while traveling and camping.  We have two shelves above the bench that travel empty but fill up fast with life's stuff soon after we park.  We really like that the bedroom and the kitchen are completely separate spaces and their clutter does not comingle.  
    We keep the toaster, tea pot, muffins and such in the pass through cabinets so they are easily reached from inside or out when needed.  A very simple solution for morning coffee and breakfast when weather keeps us in.  Persistent rain or uncomfortable weather is perfect rationalization to go out to eat or bring back takeout.
    The pros and cons are pretty well known and often discussed.  The importance of those differences to your desires and camping style will determine what is best for you.
    We have had our CS for ten plus years and spent hundreds of nights out traveling and there is no other trailer we desire.
    Have fun!

It's worth adding that many with the indoor kitchen still do their cooking outside. Our Weber Q does most of the heavy lifting, and we also have a compact camp stove.

We are mostly fair weather campers, so practically speaking our inside kitchen is used primarily for storage, dishwashing, morning coffee, and sometime a little prep work.
    2015 T@B S
  • jonlindajonlinda Member Posts: 6
    Can you please explain what you mean by pass through?   I have only been able to view the inside kitchen.
    Thank you everyone for your thoughtful considerations.   It is very much appreciated.   If we go this route it is apparent we will be part of a very helpful community!
    jonlinda said:
    Can you please explain what you mean by pass through?   I have only been able to view the inside kitchen.
    I believe there is (or at least was) a panel in the CS models that you can open to pass items between the inside of the camper and the outside galley. Hopefully someone will confirm that I have this correct!
    2015 T@B S
    edited January 2021
    jonlinda said:
    The upper cabinets in the CS kitchen also have doors on the interior side.

These pictures are a DM CS.  NuCamp T@Bs are similar.
    Have fun!!!

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    The clamshell kitchen has a lot more storage, from what I’ve seen. I think if you’re the type to cook big campsite meals, you may well prefer the outdoor kitchen. Me, I do as little cooking as possible, generally pre-prepping/pre-cooking my meals at home and freezing them, then reheating on the stove, so the inside kitchen is fine for me.

The clamshell bed is a fair bit smaller though. If you are tall, it may not work as well for you on that score. I strongly recommend you go to a dealer and spend time play-camping in both models, running through the actual motions of cooking, dressing, bathing, laying down, pulling things out and putting them away. It’s the best way to figure out if a tiny trailer is right for your camping style, and if so, which model is best for you.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Outside kitchen!..and yet our coffee maker is set up inside...love being able to be part of a conversation instead of being inside while others are enjoying themselves..we bought the camper for sleeping and sightseeing! We came from the smaller trailer "T@G"..and wanted to keep that way of camping, even though it did mean having a smaller, crawl over the other person bed..no regrets! And yes the pic above is a great example of the pass thru..no leaving the bed to get snacks while watching a movie!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I have a clamshell and I have another reason for liking it that I rarely see mentioned. At least a few times a year I share my campsite with friends who are tent campers and the clamshell allows them access to all the cooking gear/facilities without having to come into my trailer. I set up a table & chairs at the back at that becomes our hang out space. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    rfuss928 said:
    jonlinda said:
    The upper cabinets in the CS kitchen also have doors on the interior side.

These pictures are a DM CS.  NuCamp T@Bs are similar.
    Have fun!!!
    Thank You!

I love this, but now I have another question what is a DM CS.  Love the interior.
    I found the information!

• Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    edited January 2021
    Another thought: if you are under 5'8" tall, you can likely sleep wheel-to-wheel which changes how you use the interior space, with/without the interior kitchen. I agree with the sentiment that while my 2nd hand T@B happens to be a 320 S, if it had been a CSS, I think I'd love it just the same!
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
    edited January 2021
    @jonlinda - DM is “Dutchman”.  Thor owned Dutchman who was the original maker of the TaBs in the US. Pleasant Valley Trailer acquired the manufacturing rights and started producing the TaBs in 2012.  (Corrected - thanks @Denny16.)
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Dutchman is owned by Thor...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    I don't know how we would fit all this inside!