Options

Isabella Sun Canopy

IsabellaNorthAmericaIsabellaNorthAmerica Member Posts: 4
edited September 2022 in Products and Accessories
Are there any T@B customers with an Isabella sun canopies or awnings? Do you have any questions, any feedback? Or are you interested in purchasing one? 

We’d love to field any questions or inquiries about the Isabella Awnings. We’d also love to hear any feedback one may have. 

Happy camping to all

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    edited August 2021
    We are on our first camping trip with our Isabella awning for our Tab 400 which replaced our previous awning. Our first day was sunny and calm and the awning provided nice shade and ventilation.  Just before midnight, the weather changed and there were East winds with gusts to 35 mph which provided a real test to the awning. The Isabella was very stable in the wind and proved it was worth the price paid. Our previous awning was not stable in 15+ mph wind especially with side winds and created a frantic takedown routine whenever wind kicked up or was threatening. 
    I have been unable to find a source for the pole tensioner mentioned in the Isabella documents. The tensioner would be helpful in setup and especially with a new awning that has small wrinkles to be stretched. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    We love ours! Just had our first very serious thunderstorm with very high winds the other night, we scurries to add a tie down in the center and once we did the Isabella hardly even moved while the camper was rocking back and forth in the wind. It’s amazing
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my Isabella for my T@B 320. I’ve only had to take it down once due to high winds from a monsoon rain in Colorado last month. One leg was strapped to a picnic table on concrete, the other leg had three 8” nails in the soggy ground with two 2.5 gallon full water jugs strapped to it. The nails were not holding and I sure didn’t want to lose the Isabella. Two of us took it down, threw it into the truck and then dried it the next day. I am extremely satisfied with how strong it is. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @IsabellaNorthAmerica -- I have been weighing the purchase of an Isabella awning, but I am generally a solo traveler and am not 100% convinced I could manage the setup by myself.   :s
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    NorCalMikeNorCalMike Member Posts: 52
    How/Where do we buy one?
  • Options
    All Pro Adventures in Sugarcreek, Ohio. Their contact info is in the Contact Category on the left side of this page. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NorCalMikeNorCalMike Member Posts: 52
    Interesting...I thought All Pro was a competitor of Isabella?
  • Options
    @NorCalMike, All Pro Adventures is owned by Joe Mullet, the founding owner of Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trails, now known as nüCamp RV.  They are a distributor, not a competitor, of the Isabella Awnings, and until recently, the only distributor of the European made Isabella Awning that I was aware of. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Verna said:
    @NorCalMike, All Pro Adventures is owned by Joe Mullet, the founding owner of Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trails, now known as nüCamp RV.  They are a distributor, not a competitor, of the Isabella Awnings, and until recently, the only distributor of the European made Isabella Awning that I was aware of. 
    We have a "local" distributor of Isabella in Washougal, Washington, Elwell Corp.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @Verna how would you feel setting it up on a 400 by yourself? Thanks for your insight!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    @dsfdogs, with the help of a 3 step ladder, I can install the Isabella on my T@B 320 in about 15 minutes, maybe less as I use it more and more. 

So, get a two or 3 step folding ladder (get one with a handle if you’re not good with heights) and you can install it yourself. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    dsfdogs said:
    @Verna how would you feel setting it up on a 400 by yourself? Thanks for your insight!
    I set up my Isabella on my 400 by myself, but it isn't really easy. I'm 6' tall and the one cross member that attaches to the left of the T@B's door is just barely reachable from the T@B's step...but a step ladder would help with that one point.
    Additionally, it is a large piece of canvas to manage by yourself, and getting the outer aluminium 'hoop' frame zippered into it could really use three arms, but is doable.
    So it really depends on your strength and coordination as to putting it up by yourself.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    @ChrisFix, this is similar to the ladder I have https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B092QGGC52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_2AFEQWHJ1W0A392RGHTE

With it, I was able to attach the Isabella awning to a 400 whose owner was encountering a multitude of challenges and she just needed shade at üCamp19. I had never seen the Isabella up to that time. That 400 awning took me longer than my 320 does, but someone was reading the direction to me as I set up the awning. Yes, a 400 takes a bit more getting used to, but with this 3 step ladder, I was able to reach the upper Keder rail of the 400 to pull the fabric through and to attach the horizontal poles. It’s one of those things that you have to do to figure out how you can do it. 

With the 320, I can easily reach the Keder rail at the 320 and the fabric at the zipper. I have rather good balance snd this ladder is great. For those without great balance, look for a step ladder with the holding part at the front of the ladder. 

I have owned a Paha Que awning and the Isabella is definitely made of a greater quality fabric and better poles. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    For over 10 years our Isabella canopy has been a top performer in all conditions.  It sets up straight and tight every time in ~ 15 minutes.  It continues to be a magnet for complements anytime we're in a campground setting.
    Here it is earlier this month at Bar Harbor Campground in our typical arrangement as a key part of our living space.

• Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @ChrisFix - Does your Isabella let you open the door fully on your Tab? We have the Pahaque awning and we like it but the door cannot open without rubbing on the awning.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    @rhyno
    Yes I can open it all the way, but it does rub...just a little. 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    PNWtabber said:
    @IsabellaNorthAmerica -- I have been weighing the purchase of an Isabella awning, but I am generally a solo traveler and am not 100% convinced I could manage the setup by myself.   :s
    As the others have said it can be difficult with the top center pole on the 400 models. I’ve found that the 320 is much easier. After a few times setting up and taking down it becomes much easier. 
  • Options
    PNWtabber said:
    Verna said:
    We have a "local" distributor of Isabella in Washougal, Washington, Elwell Corp.
    Elwell Corp is our partner in the North American Market. They are the supplier for all Isabella products in North America, so they work closely with AllProAdventures. 
  • Options
    CJaxCJax Member Posts: 62
    We are newbies. Just did our first trip with our first T@B. We have the 400 Boondock. I'm 5.6" tall. I installed our Isabella relatively easily and quickly by myself. (I did need to stand on a large cooler for the center pole.)

We love it. Performs flawlessly. Great design.

Cheers,
    C

PS... The terrier was no help.

2021 T@B 400 Boondock 'Valhalla'
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V6
    veni, vidi, bibi capulus
  • Options
    WAWAHAMMERWAWAHAMMER Member Posts: 4
    Hi there I just recieved my isabella awning but I am stuck...or I have a question...my tab is Vintage 2007 so i am wondering what i should do to get the rail and tent to connect....was think

the other side is the same 

Was thinking of possibly 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Hello @IsabellaNorthAmerica - I bought my 2014 T@B second hand from a non-NuCamp dealer in October 2020. It came with an Isabella awning that was in near new condition and honestly I had no idea what a gift it was. Because I had no support from the previous owner or the dealer, it has taken me almost a full year to figure out how to properly install it, even with help from this forum. The clips needed some WD-40 so that they would turn freely and I only just realized that the zipper is actually a rod pocket and not some kind of attachment point for a bug screen (that wouldn't be very effective anyway). I live on the west coast of British Columbia and it is essential gear in a rainy climate. People think it is really nifty too :sunglasses:
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633

We love our Isabella awning!  Elton at All-Pro was great to work with, and he posted this picture of our camper wearing the awning on his website.  We have fielded several questions from campers, asking if the awning “came with the camper” since it follows the lines of the teardrop shape so well.

There are two minor things that I would like to see done differently:  first, the “T@B” logo is on the left, or back end of the awning, where no one can see it.  It would seem it would be better placed on the right or front edge of the awning since you back the camper into the site.  Since the camper itself does not have a “T@B” logo on the front, it would be nice if the logo on the awning was on the front instead of the back.

Second, I find that the stake down loops on the awning near the frame legs are not close enough to the ground to stake without tying out with some guy rope.  The loops on the end are typically about a foot off the ground when the awning is set up.  maybe it was not meant to reach the ground, but it would be easier to run stakes through the loops (if the awing material were longer there, than having to use a set of stakes and tie with some guy rope.  A minor thing really.

We love our awning and know it will last a long time.
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    We love our Canopy for our 2021 Tab 400 BD as well. After the first time setting up when we had to figure out where it all went together, we find it very easy to assemble. It stays up in all weather too. We see friends with auto awnings on their RV pulling the awning in and putting it out all day as the winds pick up. Ours stay secure and we love it! 
    Two things to change:
    First-the piece that slides in the base of the poles needs to be longer. Many times we have camped where our camper is several inches higher and  the ground 6-8 feet in front of the door slopes downward. In order to keep the awning somewhat level, we have had to set our lego blocks under the base of the awning. If the end piece that slides into the awning base was just 6-8” longer it would help immensely. 
    Second- the horizontal pole near the door often blocks the door from completely opening. 
    Other than that it is great. This year I set it out in the yard and lightly sprayed it with a water repellent and feel it helped keep the water out. 
    Definitely worth the money. 
    Mary
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    TNOutback said:

Second, I find that the stake down loops on the awning near the frame legs are not close enough to the ground to stake without tying out with some guy rope.  The loops on the end are typically about a foot off the ground when the awning is set up.  maybe it was not meant to reach the ground, but it would be easier to run stakes through the loops (if the awing material were longer there, than having to use a set of stakes and tie with some guy rope.  A minor thing really.

We love our awning and know it will last a long time.
    I have yet to figure out exactly how the factory intended we install the stake down loops near the frame legs and the plate that the end spike is supposed to do through...
    What is that plate for and how are the holes in it supposed to be used? And like you mention, the stake down loops are often too far from the ground to be used as constructed.
    @IsabellaNorthAmerica
    Can you provide some insight and better yet, a picture of the end spike and stake down loops secured as the designers intended?
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    @ChrisFix We did not get a plate that the end pole goes through. Is that to stabilize the poles? Wonder why we don’t have it…
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    @xdr
    I think they are meant to stabilize the spiked end of the front hoop pole...but I really don't think they do anything - at least as I'm using them!

• Options
    @ChrisFix, I put two or three tent peg nails through the round metal “support”, and then I hook the loops from the tent fabric legs around the tent pegs plastic top and give the tent pegs one more hit to get them closer to the ground. They keep the fabric tight to the ground, and keep the leg tight to the ground. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @ChrisFix I just thought those bases were for use in soft ground, sort of like the removable basket on the end of hiking poles.  I have yet to use them.

@Verna at least on our 400, the loops on the fabric ends of ours don’t come anywhere close to the ground where it would catch the hook on the end of a tent spike.