Options

5lb (one gallon) Propane Tank

Thinking that my habit of refilling 1lb propane tanks might someday catch up to me, I went searching for a 5lb tank after reading about them here. The cost was much higher than expected. The cheapest I found was at Costco for $50 (plus $2.50 because I'm not a member) with free shipping. Dropping the link here in case someone else is looking or knows of a better price.

Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    We switched from disposable 1 pounders for the refillable 5lb like you're doing.  We love it.  I paid more than $50 for our tank.  Even with the expense no regrets.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    Just purchased a small Baja 900/700W propane generator for emergency (no sun) charging. It takes the 1lb size, but has and adapter for the larger tanks. Between that and our Blackstone griddle, it was a no-brainer to stop using the disposables.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    For some reason those smaller tanks always seem to be disproportionatly higher cost. I swapped out my 20lb tank for and 11lb. I think it was $70. 
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    In case you want to use a refillable 1 LB (that you can refill yourself), here is a link. The brand is Flame King, I have one that I got from REI. It works great!!!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-1-lb-Refillable-Propane-Cylinder-with-Refill-Kit-YSN1LBKT/305539519

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ditto what @Dutch061 said. Good one.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Ace Hardware has 11 pound tanks although they have increased in price to $100 now. It’s a great size, not too heavy or bulky. I maybe refill it once a season, using it for my gas grill and Little Red Campfire fire pit. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 189
    We also have the 11 lb tank that we use for a fire pit and stove. And it’s a nice backup for the main tank if I happen to run out. Lowes has a Flame King tank for $70. It’s the taller skinny one that I find easier to pack as opposed to the squatty ones.
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @Dutch061 & @ChanW. I had the 1lb refillable Flame King in my Amazon and Home Depot carts for almost a year, but they never have stock. It may have something to do with this recall.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited February 2022
    As I understand it, the blue color, 14oz., bottles are no longer available. The green color 16 oz. bottle is good, if you can find them (except for some older production code numbers). I've had them for several years along with the refill stand. The bottles used to cost $10 each. I've seen them used as high as $100 each on Amazon recently.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Ok. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to check my numbers.
    AnOldUR said:
    @Dutch061 & @ChanW. I had the 1lb refillable Flame King in my Amazon and Home Depot carts for almost a year, but they never have stock. It may have something to do with this recall.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    AnOldUR said:

They have been hard to find (maybe cause of the recall; maybe due to supply chain issues) but I got the one lb refillable Flame King from Amazon about a year ago that seems fine. Thanks for the recall info as a lot of folks may not have seen that

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @AnOldUR tell me more about the generator. Have you been able to bulk charge with it through the shore power connector? I remember a 1K unit that could not handle it that was reviewed on Hobotech. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    edited February 2022
    @JeffroNC my Baja generator should be here in a couple of days. I'll have a better reply for you once I've had the chance to put some hours on it. From the research I did prior to purchasing I believe it should handle charging. There were many others, but here's a post from @VictoriaP. I'm assuming she's still happy with it?
    VictoriaP said:
    I have the Ryobi. It’s sufficient to charge the 320 battery, which is all I ask from it.

The ALP looks interesting (and yay, color choices!), but I don’t like that they’re claiming it’s quieter than the competition without providing actual numbers or details on who they’re comparing themselves to. That sort of marketing throws red flags for me—it doesn’t mean the product is necessarily bad or deceptive, but it does mean I’d be digging a whole lot deeper into independent reviews to confirm their claims before buying.

Also annoying that at that price, they don’t include a hose for use with a 20 lb tank.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @JeffroNC Can’t answer that for you. I tested it by plugging the trailer’s 30 amp cable and a 15 amp adapter into the Ryobi (Baja is a clone of that unit), and during that test, running the Ryobi for an hour added charge to the battery. But I didn’t have a shunt at that point, and as it was two years ago, couldn’t give you exact data. I’ve tested it twice since using a battery charger instead of the converter. Quite literally it is my absolute last resort; the goal is to never ever need it. And if I do need it, I’m much more likely to use it with my NOCO Genius charger attached to the battery to top it off regularly on heavy cloud days rather than waiting for a significant drain. For my use—single AGM battery, Jackery 1500 lithium power pack as backup + a half dozen other battery based chargers in various sizes up to 40 ah, relatively light power requirements (propane fridge), and the biggie—disability that makes lugging around a better genny near impossible? It does what I personally need. 

But…if you are physically capable of carrying a typical 2000 watt Honda/Yamaha/etc., I see no reason to buy a smaller genny. These small units are simply much less capable than the large ones. And given the bigger batteries of the 400, using the trailer’s converter makes far more sense than charging with a NOCO or equivalent.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Now @VictoriaP you have me wondering if I should also get a NOCO charger. Which model do you have? I had planned to charge through T@B's converter, but you have me questioning if that is the best plan. We have a long trip planned starting in a month. I'd like to have this all worked out before then.
    In our case, we're still physically able to handle a larger generator, but have to consider how much weight we add to our trailer and TV. I figure that a larger generator, even if run on propane, will consume more gas, so that would be even more additional weight. This has me wondering the difference in battery charging efficiency between something like a Honda and this little Baja? Which would use less fuel to give the same amount of charge?
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    I have two 5 lb tanks. Like their light weight. I use one for my camp stove and the other for my Little Red Campfire fire pit. I also use two fold up 1/2 size milk crates to move around (don't have to worry about them tipping over). Very easy to store and secure in my truck bed. I use Mopeka tank gauges on bottom of all my LP tanks both at home and for camping. Easy to keep tabs on propane use through app on phone. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @AnOldUR I was originally using the g3700, no longer available. I now have the Genius 10, but have not tested it with the Ryobi. Whether or not you need one? No idea. The trailer’s converter does draw more power and presumably would therefore charge faster than with the NOCO, but how much is lost in conversion, how the programming is set to charge…I just don’t know. I like not having to use the bulky 30 amp cable for charging, I like that the NOCO has a repair function, I like that it can be used with the starter battery as well. But it may make more sense or be more efficient to just use the converter. That’s certainly something I would suggest you driveway test before leaving. 

As for the larger generator, again, no idea which is more efficient at charging the battery on the least amount of fuel. But honestly? Fuel consumption would be lower on my list of genset concerns for a portable unit. A 2200 watt Honda would absolutely be my choice instead of the Baja if you can find space in your weight limits for one, given your trip plans (do I remember correctly you’re trying to hit all 50 states in one year, or was that someone else?) The Honda is the quietest generator out there, it has rock solid reliability and plenty of people around the country can service it if something does go sideways. The Baja may be significantly more difficult to find service for, and there are vanlifers who have run into issues with theirs. The Honda would run the Air8 if we end up with another weird record breaking heat dome that you can’t easily escape. And *if* the converter doesn’t play nicely with smaller generators? There are no reports of that being an issue for the 2200 watt model. I believe propane conversion kits are available for them if you want to stick with that fuel source, and after that, your new 5 lb tank should work perfectly with one.

And to further complicate things: the more I learn, the more I think getting a DC-DC charger installed should come before buying a generator unless you have non-trailer needs that require keeping a generator handy. With a DC-DC setup, a genny may not even be necessary.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    I like not having to use the bulky 30 amp cable for charging ...
    I was thinking that the SAE port on my storage box that goes directly to the batteries could be used with the NOCO, but probably doesn't justify buying the it.
    VictoriaP said:
    A 2200 watt Honda would absolutely be my choice instead of the Baja if you can find space in your weight limits for one.
    I'll be sticking with my two door Wrangler, so weight and space are important considerations. For now I kind of enjoy the challenge of making this setup work, but suppose it will get old before long.
    VictoriaP said:
    ... do I remember correctly you’re trying to hit all 50 states in one year, or was that someone else?
    That would be us. Hope we can get all the things we planned done in time, but either way, we'll make it work. None of it is critical, mostly just things that will make life a little easier.
    VictoriaP said:
    The Baja may be significantly more difficult to find service for, and there are vanlifers who have run into issues with theirs.
    My search skills failed me. Google didn't lead me to any vanlifer discussions about this generator. Almost afraid to search for it now. Hope the problems they had weren't too bad or maybe specific to the way they were using the generator. Like your Roybi, this Baja won't see much use. Or at least that's the plan.
    I haven't done any serious looking into a DC-DC setup. That may be the route I should have taken. There's always next year? :s
    Thanks for all you thoughts!

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    @AnOldUR, let us know how you like the Baha. Perhaps it's own seperate thread would be best since I'm sure it will spur alot of interest. I have a "Honda" like clone  2200 gas generator but don't like lugging the weight in my Jeep.  I only use the canned 4 stroke engine (ethanol free) fuel in it that you buy at Lowes (will never use regular kind of gas ever again because it gummed up my only 2 year old Gen and cost $250 to repair even though i ran it dry last use and did perodic maintenance runs) I like the little Baja since it takes the little canisters.  My only goal for using it would be to top off batteries in a 400. 

In was just checking some reviews on YouTubefor the Baha and I see its louder than the "Honda" gen. The guy was showing 72 decibels standing about 5 feet from it.  I know my Gen is rated at 62 but I'm not sure what distance that was tested. I'm going to get a decibel Meter and check mine.  Maybe mine is that loud too at 5ft.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    That's a good idea @TabbyShack. I'll start a Baja specific thread when I've had the chance to do some testing. I would be interested to hear your apples to apples results comparing the decibel rating to other generators. Published specs never tell the real story.
    Getting back to the 5lb tank, the description says it has a "proprietary built-in gauge". Flame King also sells a 20lb tanks with a built-in gauge that's a lot more expensive than a standard tank. From what I've read, this gauge measure the actual volume remaining, not pressure the way the inaccurate accessory gauges work. If this Flame King 5lb tank uses the same method, that could explain the higher price and be a big plus.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Adding to TabbyShack’s generator fuel recommendation, if you have private/civil airport nearby, you can purchase AvGas (which is what the expensive bottled gas sold is) one to five gallons, and keep it on hand.  I would get a standard gas metal safety can (they vapor seal) to store the gas in.  I do this for my small engine mix fuel used in chain saws, and non mix for my lawnmowers and generator.  

Unlike gas you get at the pump for your car, AvGas does not go bad with long storage times, and will not damage carburetors and fuel lines on small gas engines, used in many small generators.d
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    AvGas... Good idea. The standard ethanol-added automobile fuel does a number on rubber fuel lines - BTDT. Tends to separate and gel in the tank over time too. Great stuff. Thank the corn industry lobby. Years ago, the small-boat industry was trying to make non-ethanol gas available to those who store their boats over-winter with fuel in them. Not sure if they succeeded.
    The county next to ours here in NYS has it available w/o ethanol at the pumps, possibly because of the strong agriculture base.
    In the early 80s, we had a v8 Ford that had developed severe pre-ignition (pinging), I was told it was possibly due to carbon build-up in the cylinders. It concerned me, so driving across the country, we stopped every so often at various small airports to fill up with high-octane AvGas. It would fix the pinging for a while - expensive, but no highway taxes.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    edited August 2022
    I've been looking into propane options, hate that the 1lb canisters can't be refilled and are difficult or impossible to recycle.  I was thinking of just getting an adapter hose so I can use my propane grill off the propane tank on the trailer, but then I wouldn't be able to simultaneously use both the grill and the inside stove (not sure that would be a problem or not).  Also I would need a separate table as the hoses I find are between 4' and 6' -- won't reach the external lagun mount on my T@B.

I am going to do some measuring in my tub and see if I could carry a 5lb tank in there. [UPDATE:  nope, won't fit.]
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    edited August 2022
    @PNWtabber, you can get these for your propane tank. It allows you to tee-off another device without interrupting the flow to the trailer. I used this set-up for several years to power my Weber Q grill.
    There's a potential catch, though. Apparently unregulated propane can leach oils from certain hoses. The oils will eventually flow into and clog the regulator on the grill, reducing its performance. At least that is what happened to me, and I eventually had to replace the regulator on the Q.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    Thanks, @ScottG
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    I forgot to add that Mr. Heater sells a "fuel filter" (really an oil trap) that you install between the hose and your grill regulator. I used one of these but can't completely vouch for it as I think I added it too late, after my regulator was already compromised.

2015 T@B S