Options

Switch Out Those Clunky Droopy Safety Chains

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great tip Gatoregg and thanks to pthomas for the focus on the washers. I'm going to Lowes tomorrow to get thicker washers so now I have a better idea of what im looking for.  I'm going back to the factory chains! The purpose of my original post sure took an unexpected turn. Haha
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2022
    Yeah, I'm not sure that mine were welded either.

When I was upgrading my chains, I spoke to a manufacturer of utility trailers about it, and he said that's what New York State requires.
    TabbyShack said:
    The chains do not come welded to the frame on the past three T@Bs I've owned. 

when ChanW said:
    In NYS, the safety chains are required to be welded to the frame. Not sure if inspection actually checks for that.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Forgot to say the washers on my 2022 400 and my friends 2022 400 are thin and not Grade 8. Both of our washers appear to bent. 
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I'm a little confused about the length. It was easy to unbolt the attachment on the frame and shorten each side so it didn't drag and was long enough not to bind in an extreme turn. I didn't remove any links so a longer section hangs down on non-stressed side. Is my confusion because many owners tow with different vehicles? That would affect the length and require these ad hoc adjustments to shorten the chains. It also seems that the correct length allows holding the tongue off the ground in the event of an uncoupling. A chain set that could drag and held up with a flimsy connection will break and drop the hitch to the ground. What am I missing - I'm still new to trailering.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    @MarkAl each vehicle may have a different way of attaching the safety chains.  It has come up once or twice in the thread:  some vehicles the chains might attach to a point on the vehicle near the hitch with just a big "clip". On my Touareg, there are holes on each side of the hitch that about a half dozen links pass through, and they clip back to the chain (this is impossible to explain!) I can control the amount of chain that "hangs".  Owners who use the "clip" on chains may have to unbolt the chains from the tongue and shorten them , or they can use several different devices to "hold them up" to keep them off the pavement.  TabbyShack was attempting to find an easy way to deal with the chains.  They certainly are strong enough, but it looks like the question is how they attach to our trailers.  I learned a lot about washers today!
    I don't know if you saw the link to the Purdue "Keep The Trailer Connected To The Truck" brochure posted above.  At about page 42, the discussion starts about safety chains, and in the section after chains, the discussion of how to set the length of the chains starts.  Along with the emergency brake cable, there are some considerations and options on the cable length. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    @TabbyShack...good call. The setup currently on your rig will not hold if it comes under load. Not only is there the issue with the cable splice, there is (as your photo highlights) a pitiful kluge holding it to the frame. 
    If you are heading out to buy hardware there is one other thing you could consider. Look for oversized washers with the same ID. They are available and will provide better engagement and load distribution with the chain-links. Always purchase the best available grade bolts and washers. The nylock that is being used on your current setup, I'm not sure it's kosher for that. I would lean towards the oversized washer, a lock washer and a drop of thread locker on the nuts. 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    Many hitch hook loops aren't big enough to allow the hook to completely pass thru for that method.  Hence why the proper alternative is to shorten the chain if you can only hook at the hitch hook loop.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    Here is how to attach your chains provided the eye of the hitch is large enough to pass the clip.  Also, you will want a clip rather than a hook.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited March 2022
    Here is a pic of the washer holding everything together. I believe this is the factory bolt and washer but it's possible my dealer puts these on. For sure it doesn't look like this washer would hold up to 350lbs. My friend with a new 2022 400 has this same flimsy washer. I think this is what Nucamp is installing so it's not that the cables aren't safe. This weak washer is the weakest point. I would suggest everyone check their chains to see if they are attached solid. 

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    Since the washers aren't marked whether they are Grade 8 washers, it would be hard to tell if they are Grade 8 or not.  If you had some calipers that would measure the thickness, that would be useful.  Call NuCamp.  Ask if they buy their Grade 8 chain bolts with washers attached.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I just got back from Lowes and the selection was limited (in the larger diameter), but the guy that manages the hardware section was there tidying up, so that was great luck! He helped me find the best thing they had. These are thin so I'm going to use three of them on each bolt.  I got much larger diameter too so they won't bend on the sides like the original ones did.  I will see if I can find the Grade 8 online and order them. I'm camping on Friday, so I think three of these on each side will do the trick for now. I will keep a very close watch on them in the mean time. 

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2022
    You can get grade 8 bolts and washers at a good auto parts store, like NAPPA.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,291
    Here is how to attach your chains provided the eye of the hitch is large enough to pass the clip.  Also, you will want a clip rather than a hook.
    I'd like to see some load tests on this method. I'd be skeptical that it is taking advantage of the chains strength. I'm with @MarkAl 's post above. Shorten the chain to the proper length and you know it's stressing the chain as intended.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler