Options

New 2022 nuCamp 320 S Boondock

Hello.  I am new here.  My wife and I are in the process of selling our home and we intend to full time for a bit as well as do some international travel. We have a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk so we are limited on what we can tow.  So far, we like the 2022 nuCamp 320 S Boondock best and understand its space limitations.  We were able to look at one locally. I have a couple of questions. 1. Any full timers wish to where their experiences with the 320 S? 2. Any idea how to get the best pricing?  Our local dealer here in CT, has the list price as $37,335 and gave us a price of $33,995 plus, doc, prep brining the total back up to over $37k. This price seems high to me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

shane
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Looking for a TT 

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    Worth the drive to NY or PA.  Paid considerably less for my 2021.  It pays to shop around. Try NY or PA dealers.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Since you I tend to full time, you might look at the slightly larger TsB400, still within the Cherokee Trailhawk capability if you have the 2. 0-liter I-4 turbocharged or V6 Pentastar engine.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    Have you considered buying a new, used TaB?  You can get a never used 320 S for $28 K here on the forum.  I think pandemic prices are still high, but it sounds like you need a camper now!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    shane1shane1 Member Posts: 34
    Denny16 said:
    Since you I tend to full time, you might look at the slightly larger TsB400, still within the Cherokee Trailhawk capability if you have the 2. 0-liter I-4 turbocharged or V6 Pentastar engine.
     Cheers 
    We have the V6. I thought the weights were cutting it close.
    Looking for a TT 
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    "understand its space limitations" I suggest you spend considerable time in 320 doing the everyday tasks to really understand the space limitations, especially while full timing. Rent one if you can and spend a weekend in it, It can be challenging.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited April 2022
    We purchased a 320S BD last year; it was actually ordered in the summer of 2020 and arrived at the dealer in April. As you note, the camper is small but we find it more than acceptable for two adults and our adolescent Welshie (joined this spring by her half-brother, which will make things a bit cozier this camping season).
    We have modified & upgraded our T@B with things like additional storage boxes, rear storage rack, awning, improved bedding, dual LFP batteries with additional solar charging (via 200w suitcase panels) and a host of other smaller items. We also added some interior storage and of course other needed items (outdoor mat, portable lights, small gas grill & fire pit, pop-up screen tent, folding table and chairs, etc).
    While our 320 is a wonderful camper to spend an extended amount of time in, I'm not sure it is the RV of choice if you are planning to full-time. In fact, I doubt that even the 400 would work well as a full-time camper. The suggestions that you spend some time in a 320 before going ahead with a purchase are ones that I second.
    That said, if you still want to go ahead with  a T@B, I can highly recommend our dealer, Miller Trailer Sales. They are located in Perkasie, in southeastern PA, so not too far from you in CT. I'm sure pricing on all RV's has gone up considerably, but I can tell you that we spent far less on our 320 than the numbers you've been quoted. In fact, the 320, plus all of the improvements and accessories we've done still comes in very considerably under the numbers you posted.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    If you are purchasing a T@b with cash and without trade-in, ALWAYS negotiate an out-the-door price.  Write one check for everything, including tax, license, "document fees", post-delivery-inspection, etc. The advertised or asking price has financing kick-back ($1500-$2000) from the lender, extended warranty kick-back ($$$), and a host of dealer fees ($$$) priced in.  

A good cash offer on a NuCamp would be $4000 to $6000 below asking price and be prepared to walk away if they don't give it to you.  They will call you within a few days to try to make a deal.  Be tough and careful, they have a lot of ways to make money on these things, only talk about out-the-door pricing.

If you don't finance, they stand to lose an expected $1500-$2000.  That will make negotiating tougher. I would rather lose a little up front than get stuck in a high-interest finance deal that will cost much, much more in the end.  Even early pay-offs cost plenty in interest, as they  prevent you from paying off for at least six months. 

Remember it's supply and demand.  T@b 320's are beginning to build up in inventory again, and T@b 400's will soon follow.  Lots of people selling hardly-used one or two-year-old models, bringing down the asking price of new models.

Watch out for advertised pricing for used and new 320's and 400's that are not the Boon Dock model, they sell for considerably less.  The Boon Dock models are in higher demand and have some very good features.

If you are financing the purchase, or have a trade-in, or both, be extra careful.  They can give you a better selling price and make up for it on your trade-in offer, as well as the financing.  

Doug K
    (My remarks are based on a couple of months research and finanally purchasing a 2022 320s Boon Dock with dark side panel color, MaxxAir fan cover, friction sway bar and ball mount, and two installed 100ah Battle Born lithium batteries last week, no financing out-the-door pricing.)

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    shane1 said:
    Denny16 said:
     Cheers 
    We have the V6. I thought the weights were cutting it close.
    Good, that gives you a max tow capacity of 4500 lbs.  if you look at the 85% rule, that gives a comfortable 3800 lbs towing capacity.  I typically loaded TaB400 is around 3200-3500 lbs, and if gull timing you will be at around 3500-3600 lbs.  You do need to be careful loading a trailer, keeping its balance and 10% of total weight on the tongue for safe towing.  

We tow our TaB400 with the newer version of that V6 engine, and I had the earlier version in my Dodge Dakota, which had a 5K lbs towing rating,  
    I agree with Weber above, go find both trailers on a dealer lot and try them on for size.
    cheers 
  • Options
    Anyone here live in one?  We understand its limitations and view it as more of an adventure for a year or so while we travel around the US. We will also be parking it occasionally to do some international travel.  It is difficult to find one to rent around here to spend some time in so we will just live with whatever decision we make. My main concern is storage space for slinky, awning, chocks, pads, hose, portable grill, chairs, etc. We have some room in the Jeep but not a lot.
    Looking for a TT 
  • Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    edited April 2022
    shane1 said:
    Anyone here live in one?  We understand its limitations and view it as more of an adventure for a year or so while we travel around the US. We will also be parking it occasionally to do some international travel.  It is difficult to find one to rent around here to spend some time in so we will just live with whatever decision we make. My main concern is storage space for slinky, awning, chocks, pads, hose, portable grill, chairs, etc. We have some room in the Jeep but not a lot.
    Just some food for thought. My wife and I sold our home just prior to the pandemic and full timed in a 400. 

There are so many youtube videos out there that make full timing in a RV seem like the high life, but it's a huge change from living in a house, trust me. 

Full timing is a small camper may be harder than you think. You might want to think about renting your house for 6-12 months instead of selling. And please don't even think about selling your home until you have spent a minimum of a month in a small camper.

Plus, if you decide you want to purchase a home again anytime within the next 2 years you will likely have to deal with the current nightmare housing market - being a buyer is no fun in this market.

I don't mean to dissuade you, but once you sell your home there's no going back. 

We sold our 400 and are now considering a 320. I would consider a 3 month trip in it, but I think that is about the maximum that I would want to do in a small camper.

Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    You should make use of the roof rack for light weight items (camp chairs, awning, gray tank).  You can add a waste hose holder.  Your front tub will probably hold your chocks and pads.  

As long as you are chasing 70 degree weather year round where more time can be spent outside using a side tent, it can be done.  You should probably have a plan B in case you decide it’s too cramped.  And, you better like each other - a lot😂

We have owners who live in a 400 and another owner of a 320 who is currently on an extended trip.  Maybe they can chime in @jimcenname and @AnOldUR.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    We would never give up our home to live in an RV, any size.

But the travel around the country is a blessing, when we have a home to come back to.  Campgrounds get tiring, the noise, activity, no space of your own. That's why we chose the T@b 320s BD, to travel.  It is a wonderful little package, gets into the tightest of compsites, and is efficient and comfortable to tow by a smaller truck.  And I mention truck, because the 320 has virtually no storage, just barely day-to-day items (which is enough), so a small truck provides that extra storage space and still gets decent fuel economy and is easy to get around in.

I agree, two or three months in a 320 would be our maximum and we have extensive background with VW Campers.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    We are somewhat use to it.  We lived on our sailboat and motorboat during the summers. The Tab is smaller but we do not plan on being inside a whole lot. Selling the house has been part of the plan for a while. We want freedom to travel the US and Internationally while we are still fairly young. When we are done, we will most likely buy a nice condo and hopefully the market has settled down after that.
    Looking for a TT 
  • Options
    On both TaBs, you will have room for the slinky, chocks, pads, hose in the front storage tub, where the propane tank is.  On the 320, the battery is also in there.
    The other items can ride in the TaB or in your Jeep.  Lightweight bulky items ride nicely in the TaB.  That said, we carry our camping chars in the rear seat area floor in our Jeep.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me how well the A/C works in hot and humid weather?
    Looking for a TT 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    On our 400 I think the AC works well, at least in hot dry climes.

FWIW.  We started with a 320 and went up to a 400 primarily to do away with having to breakdown/makeup the bed every morning and evening.  With the 400 the bed is separate from the seating area.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    PassportPassport Member Posts: 112
    I would think that an attached tent or canopy with sides would give one some privacy and would ensure that one wouldn't be so confined. 
  • Options
    Passport said:
    I would think that an attached tent or canopy with sides would give one some privacy and would ensure that one wouldn't be so confined. 
    Agreed, I think we will make it work. It’s just while we travel around and see the country and decide where we want to settle down.
    Looking for a TT 
  • Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    Definitely check out Boondockers Welcome - incredible network of people who will let you camp on their property for free. So much better than a crowded KOA.
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    For those with experience buying an RV out of state.  Do you have to pay double sales tax? Tax in the state the RV dealer is and tax back in the state it is registered?
    Looking for a TT 
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi,  No, we only paid the sales tax only  in the state our TAB was registered (bought /PA; registered/ MD).
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Unless the state where you are buying your RV has some sort of reciprocal arrangement with your state you will not pay sales tax in that state, in CT you will pay sales tax at the time you register your RV based on the bill of sale provided by the dealer
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,293
    edited April 2022
     Maybe they can chime in @jimcenname and @AnOldUR.
    My wife and I are a month into our adventure in a 2020 320S. We’ve done a mod that gives us a 54x71” permanently set up bed yet still allows for table seating for two at the same time. This is a project that most would not choose to do, but it makes all the difference for us. Side tents and canopies are great for the extra space, but settings up and breaking down can get old when you’re on the road for an extended time. We’ve have no problem  with the small living quarters. Being cooped up while driving can be the bigger challenge. We really like the minimalist approach. Our 320S / 2D Wrangler combination gets us into locations not available to other. That’s what we prefer, but if you plan to stay at places with hookups, a bigger model  may be better for you.
    (edited to add pictures - may need to refresh screen)

This picture is from a Harvest Host one night stop. I couldn't find any from remote disperse camping, but it's a good example of minimal setup while still being able to take advantage of all our T@B has to offer.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Looks grand and very useable.  Safe travels my friend.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2022
    I realize being a full-timer, especially in a T@B400, is unusual. I've done it since December 2019. I find it liberating owning so little (everything I own in the world is in the photo below) . Being minimalist is helpful. I do miss the community of my former hometown. The nuCamp community helps though. Would you believe I actually see my daughter and grandkids more as a full-timer (I camp in their backyard often)
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    We are getting close to a decision.

Tab 320S BD - Good price, a little small, especially in bathroom. Left a deposit but have to decide this weekend or let it go.

Tab 400 BD - Nice size inside and some storage, not as many in stock, unsure about the towability.

LG Mini Max and Max - a little bigger than Tab but I am concerned about quality, roof AC (another hole in the roof) and the flat rear.

Airstream Basecamp 16 and Bambi 16RD - Really nice quality but much more cost and the tongue weights are too heavy.
    I would like to stand up in the shower (5’11.5”) but I also want stress free towing. The 2020 Jeep Cherokee is not an ideal towing vehicle but it is what I have and I am not really interested in changing it and losing $$ so options are somewhat limited.

Am I missing anything?

Looking for a TT 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    2020 Jeep Cherokee is not an ideal towing vehicle
    i strongly disagree. for a 320, JC is an ideal towing vehicle. Fourth season doing it without issues, no WDH, no anti-sway bar, just does what I intended it for and more. 
  • Options
    webers3 said:
    2020 Jeep Cherokee is not an ideal towing vehicle
    i strongly disagree. for a 320, JC is an ideal towing vehicle. Forth season doing it without issues, no WDH, no anti-sway bar, just does what I intended it for and more. 
    You’re right, I should have worded it better. The JC is a great vehicle. In our search for travel trailers, we are limited to a certain size. Trying to figure out if the 320 will work for us.  Doing the bed everyday and smaller bathroom. I think we were now between the 320 S or 400. The dealer we are working with has great pricing but they wont have more 400’s in until July/Aug.
    Looking for a TT 
  • Options
    @webers3 - What are your thoughts on the Cherokee towing a Tab 400?
    Looking for a TT 
  • Options
    I considered it, the jeep specs look ok on paper, I backed my JC to the 400 BD hitch, the Jeep looked so small compare to the 400 BD it was overwhelming. I think JC towing 400 would be a stretch.