Options

Echo Brake Controller and Grabby Brakes Question

13»

Comments

• Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Denny16 said:
    You only hear about the problem cases with equipment, if I went by not using something because a few users had issues, I wouldn’t be owning a Jeep or TaB.  I go by personal research and experience, both have always paid off.  Very few manufactured items are problem or defect free, so one, some where wil, always have an issue with something.  
    While it's true complaints make up more postings than compliments online, it only takes a read through the reviews into the Echo app (2.7 absynal stars out of 5) to see this is not an isolated problem or a few unsatisfied users.  It is a prevelant issue with this product. 
  • Options
    eddyr0ckeddyr0ck Member Posts: 4
    It's true, people who are happy do not take the time to inform interested parties how great their experience may be.  I simply turn it down when I come off the highway.  No grabby in town - and at 30 mph, not an issue for the TV to stop the rig.  It's quirky, yes.  Get's the job done at the moment.  I'll probably trade out when the 'better option' is available.  
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    @eddyr0ck which setting do you turn down, sensitivity or ?
    Thanks,
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    eddyr0ckeddyr0ck Member Posts: 4
    Output.  Basically, turn it off.  Also, I use an old Samsung phone for the software so I don't have to think about operational conflicts with my main phone.
  • Options
    Thanks.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    BassaholicBassaholic Member Posts: 1
    So far we have not had any problems with our Echo.  I have the output at 65% and the sensitivity at 4.  We are on the last leg of our 4K mile trip and there hasn't been any grabbing issues.  I'll definitely keep an eye on it though.  I have a Jeep Cherokee as the TV and a 2014 T@B.
  • Options
    SprocketSprocket Member Posts: 46
    I was unaware of issues when I bought my echo controller.  It was highly recommended by the installer.  
    Subaru Wilderness/Tab320s 2022
  • Options
    Not everyone has an issue with the Echo, just follow the Echo instructions and make sure the unit is securely plugged into the TV and trailer.  There is a locking tap on the controller to enter do this.  Follow the instructions for paring and do the initial setup in an area where you can make short test runs to get rhe settings correct for your rig.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 297
    Denny16 said:
    You only hear about the problem cases with equipment, if I went by not using something because a few users had issues, I wouldn’t be owning a Jeep or TaB.  I go by personal research and experience, both have always paid off.  Very few manufactured items are problem or defect free, so one, some where wil, always have an issue with something.  Their are a lot of variables with any brake controller, and what works of one person, may not always work for someone else.  

The biggest source of issues seems to be the connection between the Echo and the TV. Another is the design, with its physical length being between the TV and trailer connection, adding leverage stress to the TV connection, which can cause issues.  Also having the phone display tied up bing used for the brake controller emergency stop button can be another issue.  

If the Echo doesn’t work for someone, there are alternatives, like Sharon’s Prodigy RF or the Autowbrake controller, both of which I considered, and may eventually switch to, to eliminate the TV/trailer  connection issue and have a dedicated stop button.  But I do like the Echo phone app display, showing the amount of trailer braking being applied.
     Cheers 
    I have the Autowbrake and wholeheartedly recommend it. It was very easy to install and set up. The fob for controlling the brakes manually is easy to use and available for any situation.
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 354
    As long as I keep a good connection with the phone and everything has location data, it has worked fine for me for over a year. It may take a little more attention on our part than a wired controller, but the Echo does work. If you think something else will work better for your application, then try that.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    DeebeeDeebee Member Posts: 3
    what exactly are your settings that work without grabbing, and do you use different settings for mountains as opposed to general highway?
  • Options
    The settings are going to depend on the tow vehicle, the trailer and its weight.  What works for one person’s situation may not be correct for another.  I do have mountain and a city driving setting and another for highway.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    edited September 2022
    Well after an entire summer of being happy with the Curt Echo it started acting up in a very unsafe way towards the end of my 2 weeks trip. No settings change on the app made any difference. I even jacked up the trailer at our last camp site to see if the brakes needed adjustments (they didn't or not much) but that didn't help. We managed to get home and I have now ordered an Autowbrake controller.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    The Echo works well until it doesn’t, it seems.  For the short (under 300 mile) trips I have been taking, imhave not had any issues.  I did need to adjust a braking setting whilst going down a 35/40mph backroad along the Sacremento river.  That said, if and when I take a longer trip, I think upgrading to,the Autowbrake is a grand idea.  It seems to have a better reliability record and fewer issues.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    We have had the Autowbrake for 2 years of trouble free towing. Set it and forget. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    I must give a shout out for the Autowbrake!,
    We changed TV from a 4Runner to a Highlander and I did not due my due diligence and was surprised to see while the Highlander is capable of towing 5,000 pounds it only comes with a 4 pin plug. There is no electric brake connection on the standard 4 pin plug.   So after much research and reaching out to Autowbrake I was able to determine all I needed was a standard 4 pin to 7 pin adapter for the electric brakes to works. This was because the way the Autowbrake was installed(wired), the power connection was already established to power to the electric brakes, and the fact the Autowbrake is attached to the trailer and not the TV. 
    This was a big benefit over having to purchase a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter  with:
    Wire Functions:
    White: Ground
    Blue: Brake
    Black: "Hot" Lead - 12V power supply
    Purple: Aux. - Reverse Lights etc and having to connect the adapter wires to their respective counter part on the brake controller. 
    Another reason I love the simplicity of the Autowbrake controller. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
     My tab came a Prodigy Rf controller, I removed it since I had controller in my TV. It sounds like the Echo and Autowbrake.
  • Options
    dalderferdalderfer Member Posts: 1
    I don't have a T@B trailer, but have extensive issues to share about the Curt Echo brake controller. What I have learned is that this is a known issue with certain tow vehicles. It does not relate (in most cases) to the trailer. Nissan and Audi vehicles are especially at risk, I have a Nissan Frontier. Curt has denied that they are aware of any issues, yet they have also announced an updated software app for your phone/controller. They have also questioned me about Apple vs Android phone. Mine is an Android. Many people here have described exactly what I have experienced, brakes grabbing and even locking up at slow speeds, 25 mph and lower. Curt has also suggested that add-on electronics to the trailer, like solar panels/systems may interfere with the Bluetooth signal. I have returned my Echo and put in a Primus IQ. The Frontier is prewired for a controller so the controller and wiring harness were less expensive than the Echo. Working as expected!!

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 354
    I can see where a lot of different Bluetooth operations could cause signal issues. I would bet metalized window tint will degrade the signal as well.

The new Echo controller app is different. It looks to me like the old app only worked the Echo and the new app works all the Curt products using Bluetooth. Once you get past the pairing and device selection, the Echo controls look the same. I only have the Echo, so no gained functionality for me.

Once we figured out the Echo unit and the app must have permission to access your phones location and the phone location must be on, we haven't had any issues. It did take a couple calls to figure out the importance of the phones location. Most android phones have a choice of fine or course location, I set fine. None of this was in the instructions a couple of years ago. It is now.

Glad you found a solution that works for you.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    FunkgunFunkgun Member Posts: 2
    edited February 22
    brought to you by "Primus IQ" ...I mean, poster is as new as me on here. No tab trailer, first and only post... so, why we posting then?  Curt Echo... I have one, I never had any issues with 2 trailers I owned. No lock up under/over or anything with the Echo. There is always updates on the software. that has to be done to keep up-to-date. Anyhow, you buying a Tab, is it your next trailer like me? 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Funkgun - there have been multiple complaints of the Curt Echo controller - dalderfer is “echoing” similar complaints.  Just do a search here on the forum.  Some folks have not had any problems and are big fans of the Echo.  Glad your experience has been positive.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    FunkgunFunkgun Member Posts: 2
    edited February 23
    @Funkgun - there have been multiple complaints of the Curt Echo controller - dalderfer is “echoing” similar complaints.  Just do a search here on the forum.  Some folks have not had any problems and are big fans of the Echo.  Glad your experience has been positive.  
    Dalderfer actually made what looked to be a new thread about it. I believe a mod moved it, or merged it here.  The person does not have a tab, and had a singular thread about problems with a break controller. Since it was a singular NEW thread, it Seemed pretty spammy. This has nothing to do with anyone who is legitimate in complaints, more a one off that was the aforementioned thread maker. I mean, shall I delete stuff if it no-longer pertains to a thread?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Members are free to start threads and I am the Mod who merged the threads. Thanks for your concern.  We have members who follow our forum who do not own TaBs and they are welcome to contribute.  You are welcome to delete your comments as you wish.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CyclonejaybeeCyclonejaybee Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2
    Anyone have experience with the Echo under dash version?  This one connects to the OEM provided brake controller plug (Honda in my case) rather than the unit you plug into the 7 pin connector.  Need a controller but don’t really want a mounted controller or drill holes for a knob. I don’t have an open button slot.