Options

Uncomfortable Cushions on 2021 TaBs

Comments

• Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 304
    The foam that NuCamp is using is definitely not a very high density or quality foam. With less than a year's worth of use, our cushions have lost their sponginess and look flatter. This company offers high-quality foam for a decent price. https://www.foambymail.com/LHQ/lux-high-quality-foam.html

I am definitely considering my options...
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited May 2022
    Another good replacement option, would be a natural Latex foam, which does not break down over time like petroleum based foams do, which eventually break down into small bits.  Also layering a firm foam base with a softer foam piece on top would I,prove the sitting and sleep comfort, adding better overall support.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    I recently upgraded my 2 side seat cushions in our 2021 T@B 320S Boondock.  The replacement foam was from foambymail.com - their HD36 High Quality foam with a density of 2.8 lb/ft3.  I did not have a scale with me when I did the replacement but it was obvious that the original seat cushions weighed much less so I would 'guess' it was in the 1.5 - 1.8 lb/ft3 density range.  The end result is better however if I were to do it again, I would try their Lux Foam High Quality.  While its the same density as the Hd36, the description says its extremely firm.  The HD36 still compresses significantly down to the plywood underneath and I'm not a heavy person (healthy weight for a 5'-11' male) ... that was slightly dissapointing.  It does rebound much better than the old foam though without leaving slack puckers in the fabric.  The process was straight forward and their website does a great job of describing each step.  I used the 3M adhesive - I did it in March and let it sit inside the T@B and after a few days, did not notice any strong odor.  When I took the T@B out of storage yesterday, there's no odor whatsoever.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi ,  I hate to rehash this long thread..but we just finished a 8 week trip in our 2021 320.   We noticed the dinette seat cushions much softer than the "middle and rear" sets.  We did not notice this during our first year of ownership with just weekend camputs.  Are these the ones that folks are replacing?  Did anyone get to the bottom of why just this set seems to be different than the others?  Thank you
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    the difference is because one set of cushions is bound to the 3/4 inch plywood back making it much firmer. The dinette seats are just foam. The only thing I have found to even them out enough to sleep well is an air mattress over the top. Other than taking the entire system out and going with something like Exped Megamat.
    a change in design is really needed here.
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 204
    I recently contacted Nucamp about the side seat cushions in my 2022 TAB320S and they are shipping me new ones.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    scottincarmelscottincarmel Member Posts: 29
    mntrails said:
    I recently upgraded my 2 side seat cushions in our 2021 T@B 320S Boondock.  The replacement foam was from foambymail.com - their HD36 High Quality foam with a density of 2.8 lb/ft3.  I did not have a scale with me when I did the replacement but it was obvious that the original seat cushions weighed much less so I would 'guess' it was in the 1.5 - 1.8 lb/ft3 density range.  The end result is better however if I were to do it again, I would try their Lux Foam High Quality.  While its the same density as the Hd36, the description says its extremely firm.  The HD36 still compresses significantly down to the plywood underneath and I'm not a heavy person (healthy weight for a 5'-11' male) ... that was slightly dissapointing.  It does rebound much better than the old foam though without leaving slack puckers in the fabric.  The process was straight forward and their website does a great job of describing each step.  I used the 3M adhesive - I did it in March and let it sit inside the T@B and after a few days, did not notice any strong odor.  When I took the T@B out of storage yesterday, there's no odor whatsoever.
    I just put my 2021 T@B 320S Boondock back in storage for a couple weeks. Does anyone have the exact measurements for the front seat cushions foam that they could share with me? I'd like to upgrade the foam as soon as possible, but I don't want to get it out of storage just to get those measurements if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance!
    2021 T@B 320S-BD
    2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    Carmel, IN
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Hi,  An update to my replacement of dinette cushions.  I ordered the Lux Foam-High Quality w/Dacron wrap; 4" x 24" x 32 1/2" .  They were slightly too big and I had to trim about 1 inch off the width and length.  What a difference in foam density.  I weighed the two pieces; the OEM foam was 2.2 lbs and the replacement is about 5.5 lbs.  It is very noticeable when you sit on them.  A bit pricy at about $100 for two, but when you consider how much they get used..was worth it too me.  I did break the zipper slidder off the one cushion cover, but found a product called Fixnzip that allows you to replace the slider instead of the entire zipper.  Best wishes and happy seat cushion....
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 134
    @yoshi_TAB - Thank you for updating the group.  So, if you were to order the cushions again, would  you decrease the dimensions (width & length) by 1" or order the same size and "trim to fit"?
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @Yoshi_TAB- please provide a link to where you found your replacement foam. I am looking at foambymail site and I'm not finding a 5.5lb Lux Foam on that site.

2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    The Lux HQ Foam is found at:
    https://www.foambymail.com/LHQ/lux-high-quality-foam.html

Custom  Cut cushions can be ordered (including the wrap if you desire) from them here:
    https://www.foambymail.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

The exact measurements of my factory cushions measured with them out of the covering (2021 T@B 320) are 32" long at the front, 22-3/4" deep - not counting the wrap.

I suspect the 5.5 lb weight @Yoshi_TAB mentions is the total weight of the cushion.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Hi, I would measure your own cushions,  buy slightly larger  and trim to fit (better than ordering small).  I think my error in measurement was, I did not take the foam out to measure but just measured the cushion w/cover.  The dacron wrap is easily removed (just stapled).  I used an electric turkey carving knife to cut, but I suspect any surrated knife will work.

Attached is what I ordered.  They have a bunch to choose from.  I went with the Lux Foam; High Quality after chatting with them.  5.5 lbs was the actual weight of the cushion piece I purchased, not the density of the foam.  

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    We have a 2020 320 Boondock.  We have done like several. Sense we really do not hang out in the trailer much, the lady of the house converted to the twin bed. She also took the  2 inch topper from the T@G we still owned. She cut to size and sewed covers. We are very comfortable. Now if we only had some head room in the john, life would be perfect.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Hi , We also don't "hang out" in our TAB either and I suspect most TAB owners also do not.  But , in our recent 8 week out west trip from April to June, the weather was mostly cold (at or below 45) in the mornings and very windy (i.e sand blasted) in the afternoons, so always cooked outside but ate breakfast and dinner in our TAB  with the dinette set up.  We really enjoyed that aspect of the TAB.    Spending that much time sitting on the cushions, the lower quality foam was apparent.  During our first year of ownership, when we used our TAB for long weekend camping and ate all meals outside, we did not notice the quality of the foam.  Also, (at least for us), we only noticed it when sitting on the cushions,  not sleeping.  Best wishes...
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    JuniperDogJuniperDog Member Posts: 7
    This is a really interesting discussion.  I just got a 2022 tab s and I really notice the difference between the back and side cushions.  i thought I must be going crazy that such an expensive unit would have such an obvious flaw.  Sleeping sideways became the answer for me, but that’s not possible if you are over 5’10”. 
    2022 T@B-S
    2023 RAV4 Prime
    Central BC
  • Options
    Pretzel14Pretzel14 Member Posts: 11
    2022 T@B 320s Boondock.   I like to sit with morning coffee and also in the evening reading or watching a movie using the dinette cushions, and found them uncomfortable after a short time.  I followed Yoshi_TAB and his lead on ordering the Lux Foam-High Quality w/Dacron wrap from the Foam Factory.  I replaced just the dinette cushions.  Easy.   The difference from the original foam is quite significant, to the positive.  I'm pretty sure the $100 is going to be a good investment.  Thanks Yoshi_TAB for the detailed info.  A couple of early fall trips should verify what I believe was a good decision. 

2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid -  2022 320s T@B Boondock "Jeremi@h"
    Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.
  • Options
    scottincarmelscottincarmel Member Posts: 29
    Kiosk said:
    The cushions which fold up and down are firm enough, but the removal dinette cushions are so soft that one can feel the bottom, and are terribly uncomfortable for sleeping! Can anyone tell me which foam to buy to replace existing foam? Ie to match ones in fold down seats
    i admit that I am somewhat surprised in the difference in quality, we have used the trailer a total of 6 days, 5 not so comfy nights!
    Thanks in advance for anyones help. I did place call to nucamp as well
    I replaced the OEM foam with much denser foam from foamfactory.com on ny 2021 T@B320S-BD. I've (hopefully) attached a copy of my receipt showing the cost and dimensions. It was pretty painless. I weighed the OEM foam vs. the new foam, and the new foam was literally twice as heavy.
    2021 T@B 320S-BD
    2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    Carmel, IN
  • Options
    PassportPassport Member Posts: 112
    We too are experiencing “cushion collapse” on our 2022 320S.  We bought it in Apr 2022 and used it 3 times.  I have found that there are a few things that could be improved upon with these trailers.
  • Options
    CareenCareen Member Posts: 2
    We have taken our T@B 320 CS out 8 times . My husband has an established divot in the cushion that makes sleeping very difficult for him. Quite honestly, we have had SOOOO many problems with our camper in general, I am reluctant to even begin to list them. It sounds as though Nu Camp doesn't actually care about the quality of their product. i know that's harsh but that has been our experience. Guess we need to shell out MORE $ so my husband can sleep...
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    @Scottincarmel OK, so I ordered the lux foam. it weighed 5.25 # and has solved the problem for me of the gap and sag and the junction of those 2 cushions. it is very firm the way I like it and I thank you for the posting.

• Options
    RogerCRogerC Member Posts: 25
    edited October 2022
    I recently contacted Nucamp about the side seat cushions in my 2022 TAB320S and they are shipping me new ones.
    @Maple_Geek  Have you been able to try the nucamp-provided replacement cushions yet?  If so, how are they working out for you?   
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock / 2022 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Sport / Idyllwild CA
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    USSBird said:
    Monday we received our replacement front cushions for our 2021 400BD. We worked the warranty claim via our dealer.  NuCamp asked for pictures, we provided.  5 weeks latter they showed up on our front door (the cushions not NuCamp).  The replacement cushions are definitely comfy and firmer, no longer "bottoming out".  Much appreciation to our dealer, Missouri Teardrop Campers and to NuCamp for great customer service.  
    @USSBird We're exploring cushion replacement options for our 320.  Don't have the time nor interest in a DYI project - especially not at the price-point of this camper.

Ten months later, how have your nucamp-provided replacement cushions held up for you?    
  • Options
    An update: We received new cushions and they feel firmer, certainly firmer that our original ones ever were from the start. However the weight of the larger T@B400 drivers side seat cushion before and after is the same ~ 6 lb and so time will tell as @TomCanada notes. 

@TABNewbies A year later, how's the firmness on the nucamp-provided replacement cushions?  
  • Options
    jredder said:
    We recently received our replacement cushions for the front row of our 2021 320. NuCamp Customer Service was not aware of any variations in production but agreed to replace. Took ~4 weeks for delivery. Replacements are definitely firmer and confirmed by photos we took with a 50# bag of sand. Now we have consistency across the 3 rows and do not bottom out when sitting. A good NuCamp experience. Happy campers.
    @jredder Have your nucamp-provided replacement cushions held up?
  • Options
    Alt_Tab said:
    Just an update on our cushion foam issue.

We received the replacements today and the new cushions are VERY firm and far superior to the ones we received with the trailer in May of this year.

I appreciate Nucamp's efforts for rectifying the situation albeit it involved quite a bit of teeth pulling.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Alt_Tab A year later, are your nucamp-provided replacement cushions still firm?
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 204
    @RogerC I'm still somewhat disappointed with the cushions Nucamp sent us. This became more apparent when we recently spent 2 weeks travelling in our T@B. They are slightly better than what was shipped with the T@B originally but not by much.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    ApositronicApositronic Member Posts: 27
     My husband was unhappy with the firmness, or rather, lack thereof, in our new-to-us 2021 320S. I read through this thread and decided to give replacing the side seats with higher density firm foam a go, and completed that project today.

My husband is very pleased with the firmness. I find them a little too firm for my taste, but the longer I sit, the more comfortable I find them. The only issue is that they are now slightly taller than the back seats and it makes the gap far more noticeable, even with a topper. We will replace the foam on those cushions too for better consistency, especially since our hips don't really land on this cushion when sleeping. I'm a side sleeper, 5'9" 160 lbs, and a little afraid this be too firm for me. However, I'm hoping the firm foam will provide better base support for a topper and alleviate some of the hip pain from our first trip.

2021 320S BD | Jeep Gladiator | North Idaho 
  • Options
    mjwaldnermjwaldner Member Posts: 44
    I had the opportunity to sit in an older (2018) Tab 400. I was surprised by the difference in the seat foam. It was actually comfortable. There was multiple tab 400 owners with us and we all agreed that the newer foam on our units was much softer. It was very noticeable as you can see on the new ones that the foam in the corners bent upward when you sit on it. the older foam did not. No question that they put cheaper foam in the 2021 models. 
    2021 400 BD / 2019 Honda Passport Elite / Nashville, TN
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    I got warranty replacements from nuCamp for my 2021 400 Boondock dinette cushions, and they are the same as the originals in terms of density and comfort, which is to say that they aren't really good.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,202
    I’ll probably be doing the same foam upgrade. At first I thought the cushions were great. By the second season my opinion had completely changed. I’m average build (5’11”, 190lbs) and the cushions now almost bottom out when I sit on them.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road