Options

Black dripping Porch light gasket?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2023
    I think I will check the width of the mounting screws and see if I can match a RV Porch light that lines up with the holes. I've see ones that are dimmable on Amazon, so there may be other choices out there....Unless someone has done this already and can provide us with some details....please :-)

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    Took my light off again today and the sticker on the back side clearly shows the manufacture, see link.
    https://itcshopnow.com/products/assurance-exterior-flood-light
    Still debating on how to fix this.
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I will be ether replacing mine or replacing the gasket with something else cut to size. Don't care about the original holes as long as the new light covers the old holes. I'll just fill them with epoxy.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    cyoung said:
    Took my light off again today and the sticker on the back side clearly shows the manufacture, see link.
    https://itcshopnow.com/products/assurance-exterior-flood-light
    Still debating on how to fix this.
    I sent the mfg a note on this issue and they responded that it is the first they have heard of this. I sent pics that some have posted here(hope you don't mind) and indicated a few of us are having the issue. They promised to look into it and see if there is a solution.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    BandBBandB Member Posts: 33
    @Rodent77 thank you for contacting the manufacturer. Our 2022 Tab 320S BD has that black streaking from the porch light, too. Nucamp sent a replacement light but I do not want to bother putting it up if it will have the same problem. Looking forward to what you find out. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi @BandB,

Any chance you can take a picture of the gasket?    Just curious of thickness and shape before I remove  the light.  I plan just to make my own gasket out of silicone rubber or foam. Sounds like the light folks either didn't get what they asked for or specked out the wrong stuff.

Thank you
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    This is their response from the consumer support team "Thank you so much for the pictures and again for bringing this is to our attention. I will make sure these photos get seen by the right people, and hopefully we are able to come up with a solution! I will get back into contact with you when I have some answers for you! "
    Hopefully they will come up with an answer soon.

• Options
  • Options
    @Yoshi_TAB there's a slight ridge all around the gasket which the black plastic housing fits into. I forgot to mention that no screws came with the replacement light. The white wire is marked negative and the black wire is marked positive.
  • Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 53
    @BandB - Are you planning to splice this replacement light to existing wires or have you found an access to the porch light wires inside the TAB?
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    @BandB I wonder if that black gasket is a different rubber compound that is on the trailer. Let us know if they are when you replace your light please.

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    edited November 2023
    Rodent77 said:
    @BandB I wonder if that black gasket is a different rubber compound that is on the trailer. 
    Hi,

Every sub supplier of a component is likely to supply a gasket material for their item whether it be a window gasket, outside outlet gasket, etc.  There maybe some cases where NuCamp has to provide something such as their own gasket or sealant.

Outdoor gaskets are everywhere...my guess is the light folks  either didn't get what they asked for or their supplier provided them  an inferior gasket material  not rated for UV, outdoor use.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I wipe mine off every once in a while. If it becomes a real problem I'll just make my own gasket and seal the outside edge with non-leveling lap sealant.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    This was the response from the supplier of the light. "We did look into the issue further, and this does appear to be a common occurrence for products on the outside of RVs and trailers. We would recommend using a good streak remover- that should help clean up those unwanted streaks. If you google "Cleaner for black streaks on RV" there are some different types of cleaners and videos with reviews as well. "

• Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 53
    @Rodent77 - I received the identical response from the supplier.  I do not want another one of their gaskets anyway.  I found strips of EPDM rubber from Grainger https://www.grainger.com/product/APPROVED-VENDOR-EPDM-Strip-Std-1MYJ7 .  EPDM, butyl and silicone rubber are supposed to have better UV protection:

https://www.swiftsupplies.com.au/news-tips-and-guides/uv-resistant-rubber-guide/

The strips are 2 inches x 36 inches x 3/16 in thick.  They have different widths and thickness available.  3' more than I need but will fashion a template of existing gasket and cut a new gasket during the winter months.  Rewiring will require further research.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    edited January 30
    The part number for our 2023 trailer is 69711F-BK-AM. BK is for a black shell and AM is for amber LEDs. I just bought a two-pack of 69711F-CH-3K (chrome and 3000K white LEDs) for $15 from trailerfix on eBay. 

The mounting screws are square drive. NuCamp used a very stiff sealant (probably s
    tyrene-butadiene like Shoe Goo) to mount the light and seal the hole for the wires. That makes it very difficult to pry the sealant loose enough from the wires to pull them through the hole. The fixture's gasket appears to be natural rubber, and it's not really the kind of gasket someone could craft (well) from rubber sheet. It's precision molded to fit a groove in the light assembly, and there's a raised rim around the outside shell for the light. There's white RTV sealing where the wires pass through the gasket, so replacing the gasket will mean removing the fixture's rtv and, of course, pulling the wires out through the wall. You can access the hole for the porch light and its wires by unscrewing the inside control panel. In our trailer, the thin wires for the porch light are crimped to heavier wires. The ground wire connects to a bus bar in that compartment and the positive wire connects the rocker switch for the light. To pull the fixture's wires free, I'll have to undo the butt connector crimps to the heavier wires inside. 

There are many protectants and dressings for rubber and I treated the exposed edge with expensive 303 rubber protectant, but the edge is still eroding. I'm inclined to try painting the gasket with a rubberized paint like Plasti-Dip to prevent the rot.

Note the molded groove and raised rim of the gasket. 

If you want to try and find a similar size light, this drawing with dimensions is from the ITC product page. 

Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    I bought a couple of these lights (chrome with white diodes) from ebay for about $15. Our 2023 trailer has a black shell with amber diodes. I removed the white silicone sealant to remove one of the gaskets and painted the edges with clear Flex Seal Liquid. But I decided to try and use the gasket already in place on the existing fixture. I removed the fixture and cleaned the eroded edge of the gasket with isopropyl alcohol. I also removed the residue of the stickers that were stuck to the gasket and the trailer wall. 

Here's what the molded gasket looks like (with the sealant painted on): 

After going through all this, I'd advise leaving the porch light installed and clean the exposed black gasket with alcohol until you you don't get a lot of black on the cleaning cloth. Then use a small brush to paint a sealant onto the rubber. A clear sealant would be a lot easier to apply with good looking results than a black one would. I don't know how well my choice of sealant will work over time. Right now the trailer is covered, so the proof will come after some months of exposure. All the black staining came from the thin exposed edge of the rubber. The unexposed rubber showed no signs of oxidation or erosion.
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock