Options

5 Nights at Walmart

2»

Comments

• Options
    tabascotabasco Member Posts: 23
    We are west coast travellers and quite often use Walmart, but if you can find a B.L.M. field office for the state you are in, they have a list of all their camp grounds.

Clean, safe, basic and very cheap. It seems that most are in western states, and have the advantage of being in quiet interesting areas,( excluding quartzite and Imperial Dam!)

We have enjoyed these sites very much as there are nearly always interesting fellow campers,(and very few big rigs!) Jen and Bern, T@Basco. 2005 Orange Crush.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    tabasco said:
    We are west coast travellers and quite often use Walmart, but if you can find a B.L.M. field office for the state you are in, they have a list of all their camp grounds.

Clean, safe, basic and very cheap. It seems that most are in western states, and have the advantage of being in quiet interesting areas,( excluding quartzite and Imperial Dam!)

We have enjoyed these sites very much as there are nearly always interesting fellow campers,(and very few big rigs!) Jen and Bern, T@Basco. 2005 Orange Crush.
    Yeah, the BLM does not go any further east than Colorado, unless you count the bureaucrats in DC.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited November 2015
    Yep, most of the federal is west of a line in central Wyoming running north/south to the U.S. borders. Other than some COE and FS.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited November 2015
    mash2 said:
    Pxlated.  May be time to add a minibar in the t@b.  But I share your approach to traveling.  I understand Jenn's issue, but can't bring myself to hang out at a walmart.  
    Wait, wait... I just saw this, Mash. How do you know PXL doesn't have a minibar already set up in his camper?  =) Well, I guess those clear and beautiful pictures he takes might confirm that he doesn't. Those don't just take tripod and and a remote trigger. Gotta have clear and creative mind! PXL, I know it's a chore for you post a lot of them here (esp without good WiFi), but I love them when you do!

*safe travels and may you never have to do the "tick dance" ever again*
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    If I am staying at a place for 2,3, or 4+ days, it will be at an RV park with amenities, Water, electric, sewer.  But, if I have to just travel between point A to B and just sleep, I want to do it as safe but inexpensive as possible.  Walmart and modern truck stops that have showers to freshen up.  $20 or more at an RV park, just to sleep for 6 hours is a big expense.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    I understand that it would be in bad form at a WalMart to set up awing, chairs, etc. But, do any of you level and dropped the "legs" down for the night? Leveling is a necessity if you're running the Norcold or Atwood furnace. It's also harder to sleep on a slant I think.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    It is bad form for the big boys to drop their hydraulic leveling jacks, it can damage the parking lot.  You should be OK with the stabilizers down (they should not be used to level the trailer), just don't do anything to cause damage.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cyclonic said:
    It is bad form for the big boys to drop their hydraulic leveling jacks, it can damage the parking lot.  You should be OK with the stabilizers down (they should not be used to level the trailer), just don't do anything to cause damage.
    Yes I believe it would be considered bad form.  The idea is to not appear as though you are doing anything other than parking. If you were to lower the stabilizers, you should absolutely use plastic pads to protect the pavement, but staying connected to your TV, the stabilizers are really unnecessary.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2015
    I guess leveling should be more of my thought than the stabilizers as the furnace and fridge must be level to operate properly or even at all. Gotta keep warm. Most Wally parking lots are fairly level but I've been to some where my food cart went rolling away on its own.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Especially if you're a light sleeper and nearby trucks wake you periodically-or your immagination and then if you habitually don't have a good night's sleep.  Then I think it wouldn't be worth spending $125.00 at a local hotel.  It's terrible if you can't get a good night's sleep!
  • Options
    Sgtjohn said:
    Especially if you're a light sleeper and nearby trucks wake you periodically-or your immagination and then if you habitually don't have a good night's sleep.  Then I think it wouldn't be worth spending $125.00 at a local hotel.  It's terrible if you can't get a good night's sleep!
    I am a light sleeper but so far have done OK with Walmart. I think it helped having it rain so much. I was concerned that I would freak out over every little noise but nothing of the sort happened. I also usually turn a movie on my tablet for white noise as I fall asleep.

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    edited November 2016
    What is the easiest way to locate a Walmart to ONP in - From reading, Ultimate CG and AllStays Camp & RV seem like most popular apps?
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Never have (and hopefully never will) stayed at a Walmart but the Allstays app shows Walmart locations and color codes them - yellow, can stay - red, can't.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2016
    AldebaranJill, the RVParky app lists Wal-Marts and whether or not they allow overnight parking. Also there's a Yahoo! News group you can join (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/walmartrving/info) that keeps an updated list of Walmart overnight parking status.
    I don't know if Ultimate CG shows Wal-Marts.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    No, UltimateCG doesn't show them - Unless you zoom in really close and it shows shopping/eating places.
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    edited November 2016

KyBawpaw - I have stayed in Walmart lots a few times.  I look for a spot that is level from side to side and level to slightly down hill from back to front. I do not level but I do drop the stabilizers (as does everyone else that I have seen).  With two big people in the camper it is a lot more comfortable with them down.  I have not had a problem with either the fridge or the Alde using this process.  I don't believe that the Alde is as sensitive to being on an angle as the Norcold is.  I have been very surprised that the Norcold has always fired up on propane when I have done this.  It is not as sensitive to angles as you might think based on the posts here but I know that sooner or later it will not start for me if I can not find a suitable parking spot.

2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut