Options

Lagun Table -- how to install

Comments

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Mike Thanks for the advice. Guess we will use a POUND of prevention and remove it as we to will have to add a backing block. We aslo bungee a lot of stuff as we have had some interesting thing happen in the pst with our A's and larger TT as well a s a B. Thanks again
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    TraildaleTraildale Member Posts: 8
    Here my version of the Lagun solution. 
    Table is edge glued pine 1 1/8 inch thick. Finished dimension with the trim is 18 1/2 x 32.  Total cost was $45 at Home Depot and included a 17x48 edge glued board and a couple 6-foot 1 x 2's and some longer screws.
    I used part of the 1 1/8 inch board that I cut off as a backer plate to mount the Lagun bracket out from the rear cabinet to clear the seat cushions. I offset it towards the drivers side to allow clear access to the passenger-side rear cushion. I used a combination of 3-inch screws on the top and passenger side and 2-inch screws on the driver side. 
    THANK YOU to PV for making this table mount available. It made our T@B feel 50% bigger!!

Traildale
    2016 Max S - Silver & Orange
    AZ & WI
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    Traildale: Great looking table. In looking at you base for the bracket I see you have 2 screws on the right side. Any problems with the Alde as I remember them saying that the lower right screw is shorter than the others so as not to go into the Alde.

I thought about bolting but there is no way for the top or lower right holes to  get a bolt.
    South Carolina
  • Options
    The top right screw is 3 inches and goes into the top 2x4. The other screws on the right are 2 inches and run through the plywood bench but stop short of the Alde. Most of the strength comes from the 5 screws on the top and left that all hit 2x4s behind the plywood. Yup - I would have liked to bolt the right side but there's not much room between the Alde and the bench. 
    Traildale
    AZ & WI
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Final driver's side install.  Started with cardboard template to find the ideal size for the top.  Duct taped the cardboard to the Lagun top support and kept repositioning it to find the best location.  Didn't want to hit the shower stall edge, so I cut off one corner (makes moving it in and out much safer).  Finished size is 19" x 30".  Tucks in over the driver's seat perfectly!  The top came pre-made at Lowe's (only $16 - The Craftmaster's Lodgepole Pine Laminated Project Panels 3/4" x 24" x 36").  Lowe's cut it to 19 x 30 at no charge.  I cut the notch on my table saw at home.  The top is very lightweight.  It is already sanded, but I used a 220 grit sandpaper to prep for the stain anyway. Stained with Minwax penetrating stain (Natural #209) and finished with Minwax fast-drying polyurethane clear gloss sealer in a spray can.  Used six #10 x 5/8" screws to hold the top on the Lagun support.  VERY happy with the final result.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    That looks like it's exactly what will work for me - Good job!
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Looks really nice!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    An added benefit is that the table top and Lagun swing arms conveniently stow on top of the passenger side seat well.  Take the factory seat board off the pedestal on the passenger side (so you can see the wheel well and Alde system).  Put the table top with the Lagun swing arms attached on the bottom where you just removed the factory seat board (at 19" x 30" the table top fits amazingly well), then put the passenger cushion on top of the table top.  Now remove the seat cushion from the driver's side seating area and put the factory seat board from the passenger side on top of the existing driver's side board (turn it upside down so the grab holes are offset).  I'm working on a way to secure the top board so it doesn't slide out during transport.  Will probably use two small wooden dowels.  Photos to follow!
  • Options
    Traildale said:
    The top right screw is 3 inches and goes into the top 2x4. The other screws on the right are 2 inches and run through the plywood bench but stop short of the Alde. Most of the strength comes from the 5 screws on the top and left that all hit 2x4s behind the plywood. Yup - I would have liked to bolt the right side but there's not much room between the Alde and the bench. 
    Thanks much. Will be doing ours after Christmas
    South Carolina
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    OutbackAZ said:
    An added benefit is that the table top and Lagun swing arms conveniently stow on top of the passenger side seat well.  Take the factory seat board off the pedestal on the passenger side (so you can see the wheel well and Alde system).  Put the table top with the Lagun swing arms attached on the bottom where you just removed the factory seat board (at 19" x 30" the table top fits amazingly well), then put the passenger cushion on top of the table top.  Now remove the seat cushion from the driver's side seating area and put the factory seat board from the passenger side on top of the existing driver's side board (turn it upside down so the grab holes are offset).  I'm working on a way to secure the top board so it doesn't slide out during transport.  Will probably use two small wooden dowels.  Photos to follow!
    Dude, that's sick, especially the drop and store under cushion feature!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options

Great storage location for the Lagun tabletop, post and support bracket.  The 19"x30" tabletop just happens to fit the passenger seat pedestal opening.  Here's the process:

Secure the Lagun post and swing arm to the tabletop bracket and lock in place with the two handles.

Remove the passenger seat cushion and factory wood panel beneath it.

Turn the tabletop over and place it where the factory wood panel was (you may have to play with the placement of the Lagun pieces a little to get it to fit within between the wheel well and Alde radiator).

Now what to do with that passenger wood panel?  Take both the passenger and driver wood panels out and remove the plastic finger grabs with a hammer and flathead screwdriver (a few taps from behind on the outside edges and they should come right out).

Buy a garden variety (no pun intended) foam garden mat.  Using scissors, or better yet, an electric cutting knife, use one of the finger grabs to draw a circle on the foam mat.  BTW, an electric carving knife works great on Styrofoam and other types of soft materials.  Goes through them like butter with little mess.

Place both factory wood panels on the driver's side pedestal and insert the foam circle into both holes.  Along with the weight of the seat cushion above, this should keep the top wood panel from shifting during transit (the bottom panel is already secured by the lip at the front of the pedestal. 

This arrangement should work regardless of the location of the table bracket - just as long as the top fits the pedestal opening.

Ta

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Traildale, I really like the idea of the raised lip on the table.  Seems things always find an inopportune time to slide off.  Very nice.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    So many great ideas. Keep 'em coming!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Outback: your plan is genius!
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Cbarnhill - thanks, but it just all came together by accident.  YOU will go down in the history books as being the first to do the driver's side Lagun install!
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I like your table top/bench seat storage idea as it is practical, convenient and makes good sense.  One thing I didn't see were the cleats or side rails, so am guessing you don't plan to use bed slats?  I'm wondering if it's possible to mount cleats on the benches and still have ample clearance (when lowering the face plate to facilitate the cleats) given the ALDE/electric converter wiring, water lines, etc.?   

I'm also wondering if the factory couldn't just incorporate wood panels into the seat cushions (both on the seat and seat-back) that would conveniently fit into the seat openings or at a minimum on the passenger side seat to fill the void when the table top is in use?  My trailer is in storage now or I would measure the seat-backs to see if this is even feasible.  Instead of the need to store the extra panel (if the math works here) you would:

1.  On passenger side - slide the seat cushion out onto the bed slats, with seat back temporarily sitting atop the seat cushion.
    2. Drop the table top into the bench seat opening.
    3. Flip seat-back back onto table top. 
    4. On driver's side - slide seat cushions out across and onto bed slats.  

Since the seat cushions contain foam there would need to be some compensating for any difference in thickness via the wood (inside seat cushion) to keep the bed proportionate and the same size.  This is interesting stuff and am sure they will figure it out, but nice work OutbackAZ as this is how change comes about!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Mike - When not camping with one or two Victoria's Secret models, I find myself just using the rear seating area for a bed.  So, unfortunately, I have not needed to install the bed cleats/slats as of today's date.  Regarding your idea of incorporating a wood panel with the seat cushion, I think that is an outstanding idea! I see where you're going with using the new seats with the bed cleats.  I'm guessing you would need fewer supporting braces (bed slats) because the wood panels under the new seat cushions would be providing the support that the bed slats currently do.  Interesting idea indeed.  I hope the factory at least looks into it.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I sent a note on to the factory tonight and posted up this link so they could at least ponder the ideas that everyone has posted here.  

Maybe Santa will bring you a 40 foot luxury coach so you can entertain those Victoria secret models! LOL.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    We are contemplating making one of the dimensions of the table the width of our slats. We would then in the evening just take the table down and put it onto the slats and make the bed up, That;s our concept as of now but will,after Christmas, take next step with cardboard cut outs. John
    South Carolina
  • Options
    I find wrestling the back cushions with the integrated base/board a much bigger struggle than the side benches that are seperate. Not sure I'd like it if they to were integrated.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

My original attempt at a table top was designed to replace several slats when stored. I used left over solid hickory flooring from a recent home remodel. Cost was only the 1x10 used as a backer. Unfortunately on the trip from MN to AZ it turned into a potato chip. I'm using wet towels and rocks to flatten it out again -  "caveman carpentry" or maybe "redneck engineering" depending on where you are from. We'll see .  .  .  .
    Traildale
    AZ & WI
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I finally moved my Lagun table mount to the driver's side bench. I'll put extra supports inside the cabinet when I get to my destination in the next couple of weeks. I didn't get my cherry table top done, so I'll be using a 3/4" Birch plywood 19"x26" table top for the winter. I like how it will store over my microwave and the wicker storage box. Perfect for night time.  And it's large enough for my laptop or for some woodworking projects. The table will be stored between my mattress and the cushions in the back area. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna - So now you have two brackets so you can move it from back to side or back again?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Verna - So now you have two brackets so you can move it from back to side or back again?
    No, I need to put screws in the holes on the rear panel. I really like this location better. I won't have to climb around the upright to get out of bed.  I coukd order another bracket, but not right now. This will work for this winter.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - I brought along my small 600W microwave on my last camping trip and realized how much I missed having one.  It fits perfectly on the driver's side seating area next to the shower wall (with the micro door facing the rear of the Tab).  The Lagun table covers it perfectly when swung over the seating area.  I need to have an 18" wide version of the driver's side seat cushion and back custom made because I will use the area in front of the microwave door for seating.  Yes, the 18" seat cushion would need to be removed to use the micro, but that only occurs a few times each day during meal prep, so no big deal. This arrangement should result in the ability to keep the microwave and Lagun table top in place during transit (the table top will rest on top of the microwave while the Lagun post will keep the micro from shifting onto the floor during transit.  Tasteful use of the ubiquitous foam garden pads under and on the sides of the micro will protect it from jarring during transit and the surrounding walls from scuffing.  I'll put the stock driver's seat and back cushion in storage.  This idea will not work for those needing the full size seat cushion for the queen size bed.  Photos to be provided as this idea progresses (looks like hell right now). 
  • Options
    I had a small 700 watt microwave in my Silver Shadow, but it took up too much room in the T@B. This microwave was the smallest one in width that I could find. I screwed two strap holders to the plywood and they have held the micowave in place. I use the wicker box my for Cheerios and the dog's food (separate containers!) and that works well, too. I put the cushions in storage, also, aa there was no reason to have the weight of the microwave smashing them. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Verna, I like yours and Frank's idea of putting the micro in the spot where the drivers side cushion is. It would be great not to lug it in and out. The straps work ok from keeping it bouncing around? 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    cbarnhill said:
    Verna, I like yours and Frank's idea of putting the micro in the spot where the drivers side cushion is. It would be great not to lug it in and out. The straps work ok from keeping it bouncing around? 
    Yes, the straps work. Make sure you put a strap around the door. My old one never opened during travel, but this one does.  I keep my microwaveable cups, bowls, etc (BPA free plastic, made for microwaving) inside and I came up with the strap idea after my first day of travel. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN