Options

Seeking Opinions on Whether We "Need" an Outback Package

We found T@B trailers recently and have fallen in love.  

We are trying to decide whether we should get a regular S model or an S with the Outpack package.  We don't plan to go "off-road", but we do want to be able to occasionally drive on marginally improved roads in national and state parks. For example, one of our bucket list national parks is Chaco Culture National Historical Park in New Mexico with a 13 mile dirt access road into the park.  

We'd appreciate thoughts and opinions on whether we "need" the Outback package.  Thanks!
Margaret, Lynn and D@isy M@y
2017 S Max
2016 Subaru Outback

Comments

• Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    We love our Outback. For us, it was the right decision. The main reason why we got the Outback is that we do most of our camping in the backcountry...rugged forest service "roads." We wanted the beefed-up tires and higher ground clearance. The other Outback features are cool, but not as essential to us as the tires and clearance.  You may well be very happy will a traditional platform...even occasionally on well-maintained dirt roads, being cautious around pot holes. You could easily get beefed-up tires as an after market option if desired.  

• Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    We love our Outback as well.  We haven't had much time to camp yet since until this week, it was snow bound (got it at X-mas).  We plan to use it in rougher roads as well.  The other option, that I was told about, was that you can order the Outback beefed-up suspension/tires as an option on a regular unit.
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    We found T@B trailers recently and have fallen in love.  

We are trying to decide whether we should get a regular S model or an S with the Outpack package.  We don't plan to go "off-road", but we do want to be able to occasionally drive on marginally improved roads in national and state parks. For example, one of our bucket list national parks is Chaco Culture National Historical Park in New Mexico with a 13 mile dirt access road into the park.  

We'd appreciate thoughts and opinions on whether we "need" the Outback package.  Thanks!
    It depends. If you can wait and order one, you can get a regular T@b with the features you want. I had the T@b axle and tires put on my T@b. The Outback came out after I bought mine. If I were to do it again, I would probably get the everything the Outback has but the rear basket. I almost always see them empty in pictures.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Alternate view - As usual...
    I spend have my life on backroads and boondocking - Don't have the Outback and for the rough stuff, the Outback still wouldn't have been high enough. Thought about having mine retrofitted like Jenn did but decided it wouldn't buy me enough to be worth it. Just have to bob-n-weave around potholes and rocks. For some rougher looking backroads, I drop the T@B and go explore. Never know what's around the next bend. Had to back out a quarter mile once :-(
    Bought a $10 shovel so I could fill in trenches (washouts) or carve down a mound - used it this last week - washout was a foot+ deep and two feet wide. Filled it in and got up to a nice scenic viewpoint. Again, the Outback wouldn't have been high enough for that one. Might add a couple 2x8x4 planks so I could ramp up over some stuff.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Alternate view - As usual...
    I spend have my life on backroads and boondocking - Don't have the Outback and for the rough stuff, the Outback still wouldn't have been high enough. Thought about having mine retrofitted like Jenn did but decided it wouldn't buy me enough to be worth it. Just have to bob-n-weave around potholes and rocks. For some rougher looking backroads, I drop the T@B and go explore. Never know what's around the next bend. Had to back out a quarter mile once :-(
    Bought a $10 shovel so I could fill in trenches (washouts) or carve down a mound - used it this last week - washout was a foot+ deep and two feet wide. Filled it in and got up to a nice scenic viewpoint. Again, the Outback wouldn't have been high enough for that one. Might add a couple 2x8x4 planks so I could ramp up over some stuff.
    It has made a difference, for me, for sure. I used to scrape backing out of my brother's driveway and I don't any more.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I'll just avoid your brother's driveway :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I'll just avoid your brother's driveway :-)
    It's a pretty basic straight, flat driveway (It is Ohio) that slants slightly to the street. I also hit an intersection in Montrose that I am sure would have scraped. 2-3" makes a bigger difference than you would imagine. I learned than when I had my Wrangler lifted (2.5")

• Options
    Only time I've ever scrapped was in an entrance to a gas station - broke my gray water valve :-(
    Easily fixed though.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Hey PXL! Using any cool sturdy foldable shovel? Or just something from HD?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Ratkity - Couldn't find a folding one but found a short (2.5ft) at Home Depot. Cute little thing :-)
    Here's an example of what I tend to run into - a washout ... In this case it was too wide and dep on that left side to get across even with an Outback. Filled it in with dirt and rocks and got up to a great site...

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    We've had our Outback for about a year. On just about every trip we go over aprons, curbs or bumps in the road that make the OB worth it. Seldom on gravel roads but it's  good to have the capability.  Best option is the aluminum front rack and storage box. Less worries about rock chips and dents. We took off the spare tire from the roof rack and use it for light stuff.
  • Options
    sabel - curbs? - Cutting those corners a little too sharply it would seem :-)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2016
    Not to get off topic here but that reminds me of a buddy who ice fishes out on Saginaw Bay here in Michigan.  He uses a 4-wheeler to drive out onto the ice great distances to catch walleye, drags a couple of 8' 2x8" lengths of wood behind the wheeler and uses them to get across ice cracks when the wind shifts, moving the ice.  Some of those guys that fish late often end up needing to be rescued by the coast guard helicopter and those with wheelers have to leave them afloat on the ice flow and pay for recovery costs and environmental fees.  You would think that some of these folks would learn, but it is quite common to hear news reports each spring when these guys need to be rescued.  

And of course there are always these individuals who just can't take a clue.  

1.jpg 130.2K
    2.jpg 126.1K
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    I also decided on the Outback for a couple of reasons. I had a SS and it was not unusual to drag at some gas stations and steep entrances so I wanted more ground clearance. I do not like the spare tire mounted under the camper because of access and clearance issues and the Outback solves that issue. There are some who have expressed concern about the long term durability of the rack and tire mounted on the rear but to my knowledge there have been no issues with it, and I know if there is I can depend on LG to make it right (that's why this is my second LG unit). Last but very important to me is the additional storage afforded by the front platform and the larger tub. I have been very happy with mine so far and based on your description of how you plan to camp, I think you would not be disappointed with the Outback.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    I moved my tire so don't have to worry about that dragging at all.
  • Options
    I moved my tire as well and put the yakima rack for the T@B on the back. I did find out that it acts like an ice dam in a 24"+ snow. The cover over my fantastic fan vent prevented any water from getting inside the camper. I could've done the "by the jack" tire attachment, but I thought the rack had a coolness factor ;)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    Just curious, does the Outback still have the spare tire mount underneath? Have wondered about that.
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    hunter99 said:
    Just curious, does the Outback still have the spare tire mount underneath? Have wondered about that.
    My 2016 does not have the tire mount underneath.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Just FYI...........I noticed that the step into the T@B in the Outback model is higher than with other models.   If anyone has some difficulty negotiating higher steps, they might want to take that into consideration.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    TABalong said:
    Just FYI...........I noticed that the step into the T@B in the Outback model is higher than with other models.   If anyone has some difficulty negotiating higher steps, they might want to take that into consideration.
    It is a slightly more awkward first step for me now that I have raised it but I find it more awkward when I step down, then when I step up.

• Options
    rhu6ar6rhu6ar6 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the same predicament as ethelouise, trying to decide if I want (or need) the Outback. I'm thinking I want the T@B S Max Outback. There is a pretty good overview of the Outback features in a video that LittleGuy put up on YouTube. https://youtu.be/5-RJQRn_Hsc
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I've had my Outback since October. Would buy it again in a heartbeat. But it was love at first site on the dealer's lot, so no time for a quantitative cost/benefit analysis. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    We're with OutbackAZ except we got ours in November.  Love at first sight (although we'd done an awful lot of internet searching and looking at other trailers).  We're glad it's got the extra clearance 'cause we want to be able to go offroad/backcountry when that's an option.  Not sure we'd feel as confident without it since we're not exactly the McGyver type.
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
  • Options
    i'll defer to PXLated who seems to explore some pretty rugged venues without benefit of an Outback. Verna is in the same category. I hope they weigh in here.  No need to spend the extra money on an Outback if one doesn't use all the features.
  • Options
    The Outback model wasn't available when I got my T@B but when Jenn changed out her axel it made me start thinking about it and paying more attention (and thinking back) and came to the realization that the places I wanted to go that I couldn't, I couldn't even with the Outback. I've learned to dodge & weave over rough roads and bought a shovel where I can now either fill in a ditch or carve down a rise and get places. The Outback would allow less dodging &weaving though.
    But, like with everything, it depends on where your going/camping.
    The only damage I've had was I cut a corner a little tight and the step caught a rock - thought I'd miss it. Was going real slow so it wasn't bent all to heck. Easily removed and straightened.
  • Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    @ethelouise The question is...  Do you want an Outback Model?  Much like OutbackAZ, it was love at first sight when we saw it on line.  We watched the video mentioned above and just loved the overall appearance of the Outback from the grey accents on the interior to the rugged exterior appearance.  If it speaks to you and you can afford it, then get it.  If you find that you are having a hard time justifying the price difference than it probably isn't speaking to you.

Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
    Keltdubh said:
    If it speaks to you and you can afford it, then get it.  If you find that you are having a hard time justifying the price difference than it probably isn't speaking to you.

Whoa. This sage advice could be applied to all aspects of our lives - monetary or otherwise. Post often Keltdudh. You are an Oracle.
  • Options
    The Oracle hath spoken! I agree with the sage advice. 

In my few years of living on this planet, I've found I research the heck out of one item and set my sights on it (affordability, practicality, brand.. yes. OCD). I think I'm prepared and go to make my purchase.....

And then..... (it never fails), I always take a peek at the next best option up (or the best available) and then ignore it exists and then regret not getting it (despite it being more expensive). Today, my philosophy is if I see the next best option(s) up and like it, I allow myself to get it. Even if it means eating Ramon noodles a few extra nights or cutting something petty out of the budget. I've been much happier and have never regretted any of those purchase decisions. 

Do what feels right and follow The Oracle's advice. If that Outback whispered even a tiny "sweet nothing" in your ear, get it. Never live with regrets.

*hugs*
  • Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    ORACLE!!!  Now that's funny!  Ratkity hit the nail on the head, though.  You perfectly described our approach to buying in recent years, right down to the Ramen Noodles, and we too have never had a single regret.
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS