Options

Flipping window shades/screen.

2»

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    PXLated said:

Personally, I like the arrangement the way it is. Have never seen shades go up from the bottom. They certainly don't in house windows.
    I was in B3 last night looking at blinds for a guest room, and yes, you can order blinds that go up from the base.  Basically, they are accordion blinds that have a mounting on both the top and bottom, and cables to draw them upwards.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ahhhhh - Still Weird ;-)
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Has anyone approached LG about switching the shade/screen position on a new build?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241

I suppose if you were in the bunk and wanted to peek outside, a reversed blind would not be advantageous. Imagining Verna peeking out to watch her stuff blow away!

'17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    They can still hear and smell - probably make them more nervous when they can't also see. Does me :-)
    Nope, quite the opposite.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Probably depends on the dog.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

I have the same right angle ratcheting screwdriver that Dale has in his photo above.  He's correct in that the black plastic knob on the back of the driver bumps into the back of the valance.  Here is a right angle screwdriver I found on Amazon that doesn't have the knob - and should work without having to go to an open-ended wrench (Ugh! that must have taken forever - I can see how the bit would keep falling out of the screw hole with each attempted turn).  So if this project is on your list, buy this little guy (no pun intended) and let us know how it works (only $9.99 on Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/03044A-4-Drive-Mini-size-Ratcheting-Screwdriver/dp/B000XYOUS6/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1454430158&sr=1-2&keywords=right+angle+screwdriver+low+profile

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    OutbackAz has the right tool for the job.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Awesome for posting a pic and link OutbackAz - I just put that tool in my list to get before I leave AZ. Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183

OutbackAZ said:
    My apologies. This mod is only applicable to guys.
    Were you serious? I couldn't tell. Anyway, I haven't done the mod myself but I like the idea of having the amount of opening decreasing from bottom up as it's adjusted rather than opposite.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Just bought that wrench! Free shipping with Prime cost me $9.96. Thanks OutbackAZ
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    Let us know how that wrench works. Hopefully it will provide enough clearance against the valance. I decided to keep the driver's side screen on the bottom to look out for Zombies in the night.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I suppose if you were in the bunk and wanted to peek outside, a reversed blind would not be advantageous. Imagining Verna peeking out to watch her stuff blow away!

This is why I have not switched it. I am still considering it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Hear a strange noise, raise head, peak outside
    vs
    Hear a strange noise, sit up, peak outside

I like the former better.
    Of course I don't really worry about window peakers - nor care if the see me in my undies :-)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    That's a scary thought PX!   :o

I had looked at flipping mine a few months back but left them as is as the screen/shade on the driver's side was not easily accessible.  And my valances are wood, they have silicone caulk around the edges and I'd hate to disturb them as it would mean a ton more work, just to access the screw holes.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2016
    I flipped ours last summer, just to see if we liked it any better. (Ours are the older style - much easier to access the screws).

You can see from the design and operation of the thing that this older style was meant to be shade-down, screen-up, it's easier to operate this way, and the screen doesn't go snapping down if you lose your grip on it.

But I think I like the original setup better, the DW doesn't care either way, so I s'pose I'll be putting them back that way.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    KyBawpaw said:
    Just bought that wrench! Free shipping with Prime cost me $9.96. Thanks OutbackAZ

It looks like that wrench set doesn't come with the #2 square bit.  So you'll need to buy one.  Check any tool/wrench kits you may have.  They're pretty common.
  • Options
    moosemamamoosemama Member Posts: 26
    FYI, we just picked up our brand new Outback and the screens are at the top and the shades lift from the bottom.  Love it!
    AZ - 2016 T@B-S Outback Silver/silver
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Guess that answers that question.  Was the a request you made, or did it just come that way?

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cyclonic said:
    Guess that answers that question.  Was the a request you made, or did it just come that way?
    It came that way.  We didn't even realize it until we got her home.  
  • Options
    Hmmmm - The dealer would have a big problem on their hands if it was mine - Or did you order it that way?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Hmmmm - The dealer would have a big problem on their hands if it was mine - Or did you order it that way?
    It came that way.  We haven't taken it out yet, but I think we will like it that way.  Time will tell.
  • Options
    EllenZEllenZ Member Posts: 9
    I was just about to flip the front shade when I realized how often I like the fact that the shade part is on top. Since the window is curved it catches more sun than the side windows and so I need the shade on top to help keep the camper cool. 
    Anyone have a solution for that?  I would like to flip it for privacy if possible. 
  • Options
    Search "great window sunshade idea."
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2017
    I don't know that the shade closing from the bottom is much more private. I'm 6'2, and I can see in the window at all points, top or bottom, especially when parked next to a curb, like in a rest area. If we want privacy, we just make sure the shades are shut completely, or that the lights are off.
    Also, I've noticed that the reflective coating on the back side of the shade doesn't seem to reflect that well, the shade is often quite warm to touch when in the sun. Perhaps the window needs to be reflective so that the sun is reflected before it gets inside. (Or, like Outback sez, sunshades over the windows...)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    kccate said:
    With my dogs, who are calm if they cannot see out, I have to close the shades often. Would love to do bottom up with shades like nice pricy house blinds can do! Does anyone know if a flip can work with the 2007 Dutchman, where they both go the same direction, one inside the other?
    Hum, I've never seen or heard that asked.  I wonder...
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    My 2017 Max S came with the shades on the bottom and the screen on the top.  At first I thought it was odd, but haven't tried it out camping yet.  From the conversation, it may be a positive thing.

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!