Options

Coffee making ---- For those of us who are hard core drinkers

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Wegmans carries the Starbucks single serve packets. Sorry, westerners and southerners. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I've been using VIA instant when camping. It comes in different strengths and you can get it in SOME bigger grocery stores. That said, it's expensive if you drink as much coffee as PXL. I only drink one cup in the morning, so making a big pot of coffee ends up costing me more than using one VIA. Right now, it's easy clean up and I only need boiling water.  The Coleman stove drip coffee maker and the 12V coffee maker are both slow as molasses in January. I've never liked the French press because of the clean up and I don't like chewy coffee (I always get grounds in my cup.. no one else does!). 

BTW, the best commercial coffee I've ever had was New Mexican Pinion Nut coffee. If you ever have a chance, give it a try. I had a friend who lived in HI and would get the premium Kona beans prior to bulk shipments to the mainland (way before Kona coffee was in vogue). THAT was good coffee. 

Keurig has a lot of flavor options (more than the SB Vermiso), but would be pricey for someone who drinks a lot a day - although the myjo looks cool.

It's a lot like the microwave oven option. Some people don't miss it and others need it. Seems like you'll get as many answers as to needs and desires as people on the forum!  Still cool to know all the options. That little collapsable teapot is cute as can be! Meanwhile, I have an unhealthy attachment to my stainless little percolator that I've had for almost 10 yrs. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That's pretty cool. I can't do the little plastic capsules though.
    OutbackAZ said:

Very happy with this model.  Put a K-cup in the base, fill with boiling water, place over your coffee mug, and gently press down on the top.  Takes about 5 presses to get all the water through the K-cup and into your mug.  ZERO clean-up. Simply remove the K-cup and toss in the trash.  Use a stronger blend than what you're used to.  Only $14 at Amazon.com

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    PXLated said:
    To use the Kcups, I'd probably have to plan and have a box dropped at general delivery every so many miles along my route - And you know how much I like to plan so that ain't gonna happen :-)
    Haven't seen Starbucks instant in stores - Have to get it at a Starbucks?
    Agree on the Kcups.  I get Starbucks instant at Walmart and Costco. Comes in boxes of 10, I think (Walmart) or 26-pack (Costco). Even then it's about 75 or 85 cents a packet, which is one of the reasons it's my fallback rather than primary when camping in the T@b (primary when backpacking and canoe-camping.) At that price I'm spending $3 to $6 a day on coffee.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    When traveling - and if one is close to the campsite - I hit a gas station with my extra big thermos. The truck stops and gas station chains like Mavericks, Terribles, Pilot, etc have a std refill price that applies to "any" refill, even my thermos. Some are as low as $1.05. Ranges from that $1.05 to $1.59. I can't buy/make coffee for that.
    Be carefull of the independants though - even if the gas is a brand name. Got hit one time in a Mobile station in Lone Pine for $4.59.
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Stainless french press with anything but Starbucks.

There are so many infinitely better coffee options; grind up some beans, put them in an airtight container or ziplok bag & you're all set. 

Here's one for $23 :coffee:
    http://www.amazon.com/VonShef-Double-Wall-Stainless-Cafetiere-Measuring/dp/B00IHZBFYK/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1464228534&sr=1-7&keywords=stainless+steel+french+press

Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    +2 for Via with Ratkity.  I was sold from the beginning for backpacking and climbing.  No more French press mess, and quite good.  Not terribly expensive from Costco.   I now use it everyday and including in the T@B.  Comes out to about 14 bucks every 2 weeks,  as much a pound of good local stuff, but without the mess and wait.  Yeah, there's better coffee, but there's not easier good coffee.  I live in the PNW,  and spending $30 a month on coffee is below average when everyone else is tipping their barista that much per month.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Chan - the Presto My Jo comes with a screened filter the size of a K-cup, so you can put in your own grounds and reuse the filter ad infinitum.  I simply love not having to deal with coffee grounds, so I use the K-cups from Walmart.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2016
    db_cooper said:
    +2 for Via with Ratkity.  I was sold from the beginning for backpacking and climbing.  No more French press mess, and quite good.  Not terribly expensive from Costco.   I now use it everyday and including in the T@B.  Comes out to about 14 bucks every 2 weeks,  as much a pound of good local stuff, but without the mess and wait.  Yeah, there's better coffee, but there's not easier good coffee.  I live in the PNW,  and spending $30 a month on coffee is below average when everyone else is tipping their barista that much per month.
    I also will second the VIA. I use my portable jet boil to heat water when boondocking it's a quick and easy way to heat up water for quick cup of cofee best part is you can use the same cup to drink cofee from. For the hard core press drinkers they make an accessory for this also

Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Ratkity said:

BTW, the best commercial coffee I've ever had was New Mexican Pinion Nut coffee. If you ever have a chance, give it a try.
    If you're jonesing some @Ratkity, our Costco carries it.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Roadie_ORoadie_O Member Posts: 40
    French press does make great coffee, and I've not yet dealt with cleaning it while camping, but it doesn't seem too horrible. We had a 12v coffee maker we took tent camping, and it made the most awful, slow, luke warm coffee on the planet, so I refuse to go that route again. (It was a green one...maybe a Coleman?) My plan is to use the French press, and a Keurig mini. Cameron's coffee, along with other brands, have created compostable cups, like...90-something %, so that makes me feel better about the waste.
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    edited May 2016
    My San Francisco Bay Coffee KCups have been 97% compostable for quite sometime, including the top and plastic ring.  The company has been working on developing a 100% compostable filter made of vegetable byproducts.  I suspect my new order has that.
    Check them out.  DH thinks anything milder than their Fog Chaser is too weak.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Aha! I just found out that reusable k-cups are available: http://pragmaticenvironmentalism.com/2012/07/17/which-reusable-k-cup-filter-is-best/
    Google is great.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    @Ratkity , I think I already won that badge at Tearstock last year :grin:

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Ratkity - You forgot one other requirement - be female :-)
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Ratkity said:

The badge for this is a sub-badge of the foodie/chef badge grouping. I thought about a cute puppy begging for food or Simon's Cat pointing to his mouth (have to deal with copywrites though!). Yes, I was given a bright red t-shirt with this on the front of it LOL (Xmas present). 

I NEED this t-shirt!
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited May 2016
    I have no idea if my "secret santa" ordered this from the UK or not, but this is the shirt and the link! http://simonscat.theofficialwebshop.com/index.php/home/simon-s-cat-feed-me-t-shirt-standard-cut.html

Notice the bowl on the back of the shirt. (Simon's Cat video youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/simonscat)

@PXLated - there's no gender requirement for the Feed Me game! You just have to change your morning pre-coffee face from the creepy "I'm NOT an escaped asylum inmate, just un-caffeinated" to more of a "I'm a starving artist just out for an innocent stroll". :wink:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Well, I'll have to try that since I don't own a skirt.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Maybe you should try it out for size! :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    lara9209lara9209 Member Posts: 45
    We do it all with a 12-cup French press. 
    John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I didn't know how much work I was getting out of by NOT drinking coffee!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    planobenzplanobenz Member Posts: 18
    Very simple.  Install an inverter and use a portable Keurig.  Very easy and no cleanup. Kinda drains the battery.  The price we pay for morning coffee!

Plano TX, 2017 T@B S Max Sofitel, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67

I really enjoy seeing what posts end up getting the most conversation. It's no surprise how many of us love our coffee when we camp. For me, it's one of the top three things that I love most-that first hot cup when you are standing outside the T@b while the sun is coming up.   

Look, even my fortune cookie at lunch chose to chime in:

"You have tasted the bitterness as well as the sweetness of coffee"

2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    Verna,
     I can't relate, but my wife does't drink coffee, but she does want to know when the water is hot for cocoa, or tea, so I might as well drink coffee. Make mine the fashioned way with the old "true blue" percolator, grounds, a little splash of cold water on top before ya' pour it, and good to go!  Af ;) ter all it is camping, right?
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    OH NO! I almost forgot the Irish cream! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Plano - First thing in morning I'm looking for is solar to add juice. An inverter is out till mid-morning.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Verna said:
    I didn't know how much work I was getting out of by NOT drinking coffee!
    Grin...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We've tried the via.  Not bad... I didn't see it at Costco and everywhere else is around a dollar a cup...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    I love my espresso in the morning, and on the road/at the office, have turned to this: the Waco Minipresso. They have both ground and capsule version. Clean-up is easy. Great for hikes too. Yes, espresso back-country!