Options

Low Tire Pressure: A Cautionary Tale

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    That looks new, to me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Similar label on my 2006 DM.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep, 2015 with same label - 50psi
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Heh, mine has that too. Never read it! I appreciate it Photomom!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    Thanks for the label reminder:  Our 2014 Q-Max says the same thing....wish Little Guy would speak up on this topic.

Photomom said:
    Your trailers should have a label. This is on the driver side of the tongue. Cold inflation pressure ... 50 PSI.

Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    So, does anyone know how high we should allow the tire pressure to become while hot? We plan on driving to the hottest place on Earth (Death Valley) and the to high country where it might freeze.  It's OK to call me crazy but I'd still like any advise about this.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The factory hasn't completed their investigation for the final answer. Me, if you have the original tires, go by the sticker, but I still go by what my tires tell me. If I'm going to be in extreme hot tempos, I would drive some, get the tires up to driving temps, check the tires again. If they are over what they should be, let some air out. If under inflated, add air. The only way you'll know is by checking. Do you have the same sticker on your tongue as shown above?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    To the best of my knowledge, tire pressures are always indicated as "cold" (i.e., not being driven). The pressure will increase a bit as they heat up from driving, but that is accounted for in the recommendation.

That said, your "cold" tire pressure will fluctuate depending on ambient temperature. If you are moving between extreme climates, I would check them again (cold) and adjust the pressure as needed.

And, if you do that, you are probably 10 steps ahead of nearly everyone else on the planet, so pat yourself on the back!  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Yep, what ScottG said. Always check them cold. It's the only way to get an accurate and consistent reading.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2016
    Verna said:
    The factory hasn't completed their investigation for the final answer. Me, if you have the original tires, go by the sticker, but I still go by what my tires tell me. If I'm going to be in extreme hot tempos, I would drive some, get the tires up to driving temps, check the tires again. If they are over what they should be, let some air out. If under inflated, add air. The only way you'll know is by checking. Do you have the same sticker on your tongue as shown above?
    Not sure if this was directed at me, but yes my trailer has the ST tires from the factory and also has the "50psi" sticker....

Personally, in the year + that we have had our T@B, I've kept the tires between the owner's manual 35psi (actually never on the low end ---which sounds very low) and below the 50psi listed on the tongue and tire itself.  Likewise, I am one of those goofy checklist guys that checks the tires on the TV and the T@B at every gas stop with a toe tapping thump (or an air gauge if it looks suspect).  I also at each stop, touch test both tires and the hubs for temp.... 

Proper inflation would help gas mileage a bit, and extend tire life I think.  The T@B is so light, and as others (including the owner's manual) have said a little less air pressure may help the ride quality.  It should not be so difficult to find out what air pressure Pleasant Valley puts in the trailers when they leave the factory as a baseline number....I'd like to keep mine at factory specs.

And if Pleasant Valley needs a technical writer to create a relevant owners manual, my wife and I are up to the task.  Are they hiring? :blush:

Oh, and thank you Verna!  I truly appreciate everything you do on this/these forums to keep things running smoothly, and for sharing your experience.  You are an awesome ambassador!
    PS~~~> thanks PXLated too. :)

Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217

Oh, and thank you Verna!  I truly appreciate everything you do on this/these forums to keep things running smoothly, and for sharing your experience.  You are an awesome ambassador!
    Ditto!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Ahh, shucks  :). Thanks, Catndahats and Photomom.  But don't forget PXLated. He sure spends a lot of time here helping.

I'm not here a lot because I'm trying to downsize at home (too much stuff for one person after living in this house for 25 years), and I'm finishing my Verna-do list so I can put my house up for sale. No, not full-timing, but downsizing from a 1/2 acre plus 1800 sq ft to about a 1,000 sq ft condo with no yard work. That will mean more time to woodwork and camp!  I'm on a first name basis with the Goodwill drop-off guys! 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Verna said:
    Ahh, shucks  :). Thanks, Catndahats and Photomom.  But don't forget PXLated. He sure spends a lot of time here helping.

I'm not here a lot because I'm trying to downsize at home (too much stuff for one person after living in this house for 25 years), and I'm finishing my Verna-do list so I can put my house up for sale. No, not full-timing, but downsizing from a 1/2 acre plus 1800 sq ft to about a 1,000 sq ft condo with no yard work. That will mean more time to woodwork and camp!  I'm on a first name basis with the Goodwill drop-off guys! 
    I would LOVE to get a patio home or condo and get rid of the yard..... Will you be able to get a condo with an 8ft garage door? :) That's our challenge. We did find a patio home community that could put an 8ft door on the back garage, BUT those things are more expensive than a house twice the size with a 1/2 acre lot.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    I would LOVE to get a patio home or condo and get rid of the yard..... Will you be able to get a condo with an 8ft garage door? :) That's our challenge. We did find a patio home community that could put an 8ft door on the back garage, BUT those things are more expensive than a house twice the size with a 1/2 acre lot.

The T@B will have to go to an outside storage lot, unless I can find that farmer who uses his barn for RV storage. I have to accept it, although it was a difficult decision. My T@B is outside at my home, so it won't be much different, except I'll be visiting her frequently. My truck has never been in my garage.

I already know which complex I will be living in. The single story 1,000 sq ft condos have a long 1 car garage and that is where my woodworking shop will be. I do have my priorities. I would give up the spare bedroom and 2nd bath if that meant I could park my truck inside!

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Verna said:

In my area patio homes are targeted at well to do baby boomers and young retirees who are downsizing. They generally have luxury kitchens and every amenity but are smaller versions of the upscale homes the target demographic is moving from. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    bigskyboundbigskybound Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for all of the comments and good wishes.  We were indeed lucky.  T@B is an 08, so tires probably 8 years old.  The tire brand is MERIT MYSTIC.  Sits more than rolls, so we should have thought about new tires sooner. 
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Verna said:

In my area patio homes are targeted at well to do baby boomers and young retirees who are downsizing. They generally have luxury kitchens and every amenity but are smaller versions of the upscale homes the target demographic is moving from. 
    Yup, that's the case here. We are moving some time this year. We thought for a few minutes we might like no yard work, but the higher price turned us off. With the same builder, but different location, we can get the "exact" house we want with 5 cars worth of garage (3 attached, two detached with 8 ft. doors), lower price, lower taxes, lower HOA, and still pay somebody to do the yard if needed instead of the patio home.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the comments and good wishes.  We were indeed lucky.  T@B is an 08, so tires probably 8 years old.  The tire brand is MERIT MYSTIC.  Sits more than rolls, so we should have thought about new tires sooner. 
    Merit Mystics are definitely original tires. I've changed mine out twice. Kelly tires are my replacement. Less than $200 every 4 years.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Mike,
    Great post, and one all should heed!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2016
    ericnliz said:
    Mike,
    Great post, and one all should heed!
    Thanks, I stand by my earlier comments as it's like anything else, you have to figure some things out on your own and take action in maintaining things properly and that is something I've tried to always do whether it is my personal vehicle, trailer bearings, lawn equipment, etc.  

With that said I did send a follow-up "reminder" message to the factory this afternoon and asked them for further clarification/recommendations and guidance on the tire air pressure issue so that everyone gets it from the horse's mouth if you will.  

Stay tuned! 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I'll be interested in their advice, because I've read from a couple of sources, tire mfgrs and that rubber association, that ST trailer tires are always supposed to be inflated to their maximum.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I received this back from Scott Hubble this afternoon.  And keep in mind too that they are working on an updated manual and hopefully will clear this up via new verbiage when it comes out:

Without forming a statement that sounds professional and fancy, I can tell you that in my discussions with the appropriate individuals and entities, "we recommend that every trailer produced by Pleasant Valley trailers have the psi in the tires match with what is imprinted on the tire itself."
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Not surprised. Probably didn't even have to consult the corporate lawyer for that one :-)
  • Options
    That's great. Fortunately, that is what I have been doing with my new tires. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thanks, @Michigan_Mike

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thanks Mike.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Warning! Incoming RK story! ........

I know trailers are different than vehicles, but on a my friend's 2004 Dodge diesel dually pickup, I contacted Firestone about her two new front tires and they asked "what vehicle are they on?" when I told them the tire model number. After I told them the vehicle, the help person gave me what exactly was on the inside of the vehicle door after he asked if there were any hub or front end mods first (none). He said tire pressure (qualified here: on a motorized vehicle) is dependant on vehicle weight, type, if front or rear tires, and finally, manufacturer recommendations for best handling. The recommended rating for her front tires were 65 lbs and max rating on these tires were 80 psi, btw. The last thing the Firestone help dude said was to never run a tire at it's max rating (still discussing motor vehicles).

Due to the above conversation, I'm still dubious about "running at max", especially with a light-weight trailer (due to bounce and handling for a small TV). 

That said, I can tell you that most motorcycle accidents occur due to under-inflation of tires. All the Harley's I've owned have had specific tire pressures for each bike despite the "max" tire pressure written on the tire (motor vehicle again). Each salesperson I've bought a bike from has always given me a specific sheet with large numbers on a motorcycle picture telling me front and rear tire pressure for the bike - circled and re-iterated (CYI and safety issue).

So color me confused at the tire pressure on the different type trailers now!!! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    edited June 2016
    I agree with Ratkity--automobiles and motorcycles will have a recommended inflation pressure (indicated on a sticker) presumably based on a number of factors related to the specific vehicle. The manufacturer of a non-OEM replacement tire might have a different recommendation, but in every case I've seen it's always below the MAXIMUM pressure indicated on the tire itself.

However, it does appear that trailer tires play by a different set of rules.

On a related note, I noticed yesterday yet another T@B sticker providing tire information. This one is on the lower front driver's side of the camper body itself. I am pleased (and relieved) to report that it contains the same information as the sticker on the tongue. Phew!

2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited June 2016
    No such second sticker on my 2015 - Oooooops, other side
    One of those days :-(
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    The sticker also has your VIN running vertically on the right hand side. Came in handy when being inspected  CHP as part of the registration process in CA.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.