Options

Bed Slats for my T@B S Max

13»

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited April 2016
    I did solid boards cut in two pieces for my clamshell out of 3/4 MDF. We never set it up as a table. We also don't have an Alde or a furnace, so no heat coming from underneath. I did two boards as sometimes I go solo so only set up half the bed, and put in the other half when hubby comes with me. Obviously, when hubby is not with me, his half of the board stays at home.

When measuring for the boards, I discovered the opening was not exactly square, so the boards are cut to exact fit and are very snug.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    Is this the type of board folks use to make the slats? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Poplar-Board-Common-1-in-x-6-in-x-R-L-Actual-0-75-in-x-5-5-in-x-R-L-144703/

Specs are: Poplar Board (Common: 1 in. x 6 in. x R/L; Actual: 0.75 in. x 5.5 in. x R/L)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Jenn, that's what I used. More sanded/smoother on one side and sort of rough on the other.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks, @Ratkity!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    edited May 2016
    Jenn that is what I used as well.  I bought some white maple for the side rails...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    Thanks, @webcrawler. Did you & @Ratkity cut the boards at 29", as well? It is really tough to measure and see nd hold the tape!

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Well, I can't remember.

I live in a less-than-level 1935 house. I'm used to varied measurements.  I also vaguely remember making sure there was a little play in the boards (1/8" min on each end) to make sure humidity and temperature variations don't push into the sides and end up with a stuck board. I know ONE board that is custom, the angled one. I believe I used the original table top dimensions (give or take), including the angle on one board. I made sure I didn't have the boards butt up against the back cushion wall, the table didn't. 

The custom angled board also has industrial velcro on the bottom edges (only board that does). I have a tendency to sit on the end of the bed and kept getting tossed off lol. Not good to pitch a sleepy bear who hasn't had coffee yet (Harvey)! I wasn't amused either. The little velcro strip also makes a sound when it starts to give, sort of an early warning to scoot back on the bed or give up and stand up. It's not for everyone. Since my side cushions hang over a little, it's not noticeable. I keep the bed cushions set up most of the time. If this changes over time, the velcro will come off with a little effort and probably just some glue cleanup. 

Where's Verna and her saws?! LOL. Ooops, wrong saws. Still.... the creative use of that scrolling on the side valences.....
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ratkity said:
    Where's Verna and her saws?! LOL. Ooops, wrong saws. Still.... the creative use of that scrolling on the side valences.....
    I have other power and manual saws ;)  Compound mitre saw, table saw, band saws, and I would have a third scroll saw if a former friend would return that scroll saw that she borrowed....onviously caused a rift in our friendship. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Places like Lowes and Home Depot will cut boards to length if you don't have an appropriate saw. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    pebblesporterpebblesporter Member Posts: 10
    I just bought my new T@B 3 weeks ago and the first thing I did was to remove the table/bed part as it made it so hard to get around.   Only 1 person here and I'm short, so I just sleep across the back without the entire bed made up.   I plan to make the slats just in case I need them sometime and I'm glad to see the plans in my head are the same as the examples here!  Great minds think alike!
  • Options
    How are you all connecting the flat bungee cords? Staple gun or adhesive?

• Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
  • Options
    Thanks, @Pop-T@B.

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I just received a set of slats and rails from the factory to replace my table.  I am planning to screw them to the face of the benches with counter sunk wood screws.  It seems 5 1 3/4 inc screws is the the recommendation but what size?  I am thinking 8's but would smaller or bigger be better? 

I also noticed that there are no screws showing on the face of the rails in the first picture of this thread but all the other pictures seem to be screwed in from the front?  Are the first rails factory installed or was somebody ambitious enough to remove all the obstacles and screw the rails in from behind?
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Mine came with rails, and they are attached from behind. They screwed through all the "obstacles" I can post a picture tomorrow if you like. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    I used 11/4"  wood deck screws, (six per side) and yes I did put them in from the back side, the only thing I had to remove to do this was the wooden box / guard around  radiator in the passenger side storage area. On mine it was held in with six screws and was no problem to remove and reinstall. I like the way LG hides all on the screws when they build the T@B and I did not want to ruin that look by installing them thru the front. 
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Photomom - Thanks for the offer but I think I am good with Pop-T@B's response.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut