Options

Replaced stabilizers with leveling jacks

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
edited September 2016 in Modifications & Upgrades
I replaced our rear stabilizing jacks with scissor type leveling jacks. For those who question weather the frame is strong enough. Little Guy recommends supporting the full weight on the rear jacks and tongue jack to service brakes and tires. The leveling jacks allow us to eliminate the need for other leveling devices. They are also longer than the originals. With a slight modification to the stabilizer bracket I was able to use the same mounting bolts. Keep in mind we have a LG T@B. Earlier T@Bs used a different chassis.

1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Nice!  What model or source did you have for the leveling jacks?  Also curious, why not replace the front ones as well (for more leveling control)?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    I purchased the jacks from Camping World manufactured by Stromberg Carlson cost $57 for the pair. I do not feel the front is necessary with three lift points you have a tripod. Once you are level the front can be used to support although I found they were not necessary.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I really like this idea. Relatively inexpensive, too!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    What no blocks, no Bal leveler, no Anderson leveler, no rocks, no wood blocks, no  Lego thingies.  If we all used these, Pxlated won't be able to promote his blocks!  We would lose an entire topic!  I don't know about you, but I look forward to his input.  And where is a T@B emoji when you need it.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Try raising or lowering your tongue while still hooked up on a quick overnighter. These will do nothing fir ya, nor will the BAL. Dual Andersons might work but need two people or you're in/out alot to see where your at.
    Blocks, blocks blocks :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Try raising or lowering your tongue while still hooked up on a quick overnighter. These will do nothing fir ya, nor will the BAL. Dual Andersons might work but need two people or you're in/out alot to see where your at.
    Blocks, blocks blocks :-)
    I haven't had to do a quick overnight where I needed to level. One of the perks of Walmart. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Ya, well, what can I say - other than "that's no fun" :-)
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    Nice job Dale, I am going to put this on my to-do list !
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Dale, I'm gonna have to check that one out!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Ohhh noooo, yet another cool mod!!!!!   :o     Just what I need!   =)

Nice work Dale and I can see the advantage...  Thanks for sharing!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    strom urg Carlson makes 24" and 30" jacks. Which did you get?

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/rv-jacks/scissor-jacks/
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    PXL, Once a blockhead, always a blockhead. Good on 'ya for stickin' to legos!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    They seem to hang so low that they'd drag on some gas station entrances but I see you still have the tire mounted below also. I can see where on an outback - where the standard jack might not be long enough - that these would be great.
  • Options
    They are really no lower than the original jacks. I have never had any problem with the tire mounted underneath. I used the 24" jacks that CW sells for $57 a pair. If I had an Outback with the raised axel I may have used the 30".
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    PXL, I went to Dale's and actually, the spare hangs lower than the stabilizer jacks, and they tuck up nicely in the "up" position. Very nice install, and very clean looking. I would have to say no lower than the original stabilizers were. Good job by the way Dale!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I overnighted at two Walmarts recently, and the parking lots were unlevel due to controlling water run off.  I like blocks.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    My only wondering is how these are mounted on the T@B?  Is there solid frame where they are mounted or is it just in the floor?

For the stabilizers this is not so much a problem as you are not putting nearly as much pressure on them, but with leveling jacks you are lifting the trailer and axle, so a lot more pressure is exerted on the point where they are mounted.

Lifting the trailer with the stabilizers is recommended only in emergency situations, and not for the purposes of leveling where you would be moving around in the trailer.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cyclonic said:
    My only wondering is how these are mounted on the T@B?  Is there solid frame where they are mounted or is it just in the floor?

For the stabilizers this is not so much a problem as you are not putting nearly as much pressure on them, but with leveling jacks you are lifting the trailer and axle, so a lot more pressure is exerted on the point where they are mounted.

Lifting the trailer with the stabilizers is recommended only in emergency situations, and not for the purposes of leveling where you would be moving around in the trailer.

I had wondered about that, too. It might be worth checking with the factory.

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Cyclonic said:

Uh oh...I have developed a habit of using the stabalizers (and blocks) to level the trailer when boondocking in my Outback when I just can't find a level area.  What are other boondockers doing?
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Smullis7 said:
    Cyclonic said:

Uh oh...I have developed a habit of using the stabalizers (and blocks) to level the trailer when boondocking in my Outback when I just can't find a level area.  What are other boondockers doing?

You absolutely don't want to do that. People use either leveling blocks, a BAL leveler, or Anderson levelers. Do a search on leveling and you will find more opinions on which is best than you ever wished to find!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I sent an inquiry on to the factory this morning and will post up any information/recommendations that comes my way.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Cyclonic, jkjenn, I personally got up close and personally looked at Dale's install on these leveling jacks. They ARE indeed mounted to the frame of the T@B. He used the same mounting as the stabilizers used to install. Pretty beefy right there where he installed them. I am curious to find out what the factory has to say about this issue, but in my humble opinion, a good install in a very stable spot on the frame. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    If the frame will support the full weight of the trailer on the tongue Jack and the rear stabilizers, which is the recommended method for tire and brake servicing. There is apparently enough engineering in the frame to allow the use of jacks. It can either support the weight or not. I have owned other light and ultra light trailers that the frames and upper structure are so light jacks could not be used. I feel the T@B is far better and stronger built.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Smullis7 - I level with the blocks and then lower the stabelizers to, well, stabilize :-)
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    jkjenn said:
    Smullis7 said:
    Cyclonic said:

You absolutely don't want to do that. People use either leveling blocks, a BAL leveler, or Anderson levelers. Do a search on leveling and you will find more opinions on which is best than you ever wished to find!

Jenn, I have the BAL leveler, but that only helps side-to-side.  I'm having the issue front to back.  One thing is that when I'm on my own, I don't like to disconnect from the TV for fear of not being able to get reconnected on rough or sloped areas, which is something I should practice.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    I sent an inquiry on to the factory this morning and will post up any information/recommendations that comes my way.  
    Thanks, Mike.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Smullis7 - Staying hooked up is my mode when out shooting or just overnighting.
    For front to back leveling you can put blocks under either the T@B tires or the TV depending on whether you need to lower the tongue or raise it. Now, if you need the blocks under the T@B tires, put away your BAL, blocks and BAL don't work nice together :-)
    If you also need to level left to right, just add a block or two under the appropriate T@B tire.

I'm currently hooked up and have three blocks under each of the TV tires to raise the tongue and one block under the passenger side T@B tire to level left/right.

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Cyclonic, jkjenn, I personally got up close and personally looked at Dale's install on these leveling jacks. They ARE indeed mounted to the frame of the T@B. He used the same mounting as the stabilizers used to install. Pretty beefy right there where he installed them. I am curious to find out what the factory has to say about this issue, but in my humble opinion, a good install in a very stable spot on the frame. :)
    OK, that is what I was wondering.  The frame is plenty strong enough to support this kind of load, the floor itself is not.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Yes, that is correct.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    But, would you say also... You don't need scissor jacks if all you need is stabilization in campgrounds. If on the other hand you want to suspend your T@B for things like greasing bearings, etc., jacks are the cats meow?