Options

Replaced stabilizers with leveling jacks

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    The important thing is stabilizers can not be used to lift just to support. Each stabilizer is rated at 1750lbs. The scissor jacks I used are rated at 5000lb each. Once again it is the design of the stabilizers that makes them unsafe for lifting. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Most of the time we rotate our T@B 90 sometime 180 degrees at our site to take better advantage of it. Those handles are a terrific asset. Once unhooked from our tow vehicle blocks and devices that require rolling on to just do not work. The  Bal Leveler work but for me they were bulky and hard to store. The jacks do everything with no storage needed.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited December 2021
    TACOMAGUY said:
    So stabilizer jacks, are not as strong as scissor jacks is that correct
    Simply put - Stabilizers are not jacks.  This thread discussed this recently:

https://www.tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/42879/

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I think I've only been on pads where I could roll it around by hand a few times. Can see where the BAL works for that, hard to roll onto blocks by hand. 99.9% of the time I'm positioning by TV.
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    I had to roll mine up onto blocks by hand and by myself once... And that will absolutely positively be the only time I try to do that! One of the top 10 newbie mistakes/lessons: do NOT disconnect from TV until you have leveled from side to side.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    Another newby beware thingy - Chock the T@B wheels or it may roll off the blocks once you unhook and raise or lower the tongue.
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Yes!!! I'm not saying that happened and I'm not sayng it didn't. I'm saying the elation of finally getting it up pales to the disappointment of it immediately rolling off the front. .. Or so I've heard. If that's the only newbie mistakes I make, I will be surprised. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    Don't feel bad, I rolled mine off (hence the chauks) - Luckily it was on fairly level ground or it'd hit some trees.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    One thing is nagging me about this mod. When I use the BAL to level the T@B, the weight of the trailer stays on the frame to axle contact point. With this arrangement, the contact point is moved off the axle to the frame with the scissors jacks. Does this introduce any potential bending of the frame?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    One thing is nagging me about this mod. When I use the BAL to level the T@B, the weight of the trailer stays on the frame to axle contact point. With this arrangement, the contact point is moved off the axle to the frame with the scissors jacks. Does this introduce any potential bending of the frame?
    Please take time to read the original post for the answer to your question.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    edited November 2016
    Doesn't seem to include the weight of people, walking around on an aluminum floor frame, no longer supported by the trailer suspension.  With different support points on the steel frame, rather than the designed suspension points, the weight of occupants, plus the weight of the trailer is a concern.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    This sounds like a great mod. However I would like the opinion of the folks who build T@Bs.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Once again the rear support points are designed to support the total weight of the trailer in conjunction with the tongue jack. Even with that engineers would build in at least 20% additional capacity.  I doubt if you would ever be in a position that would put that much weight on the jacking points just to level your trailer but it could handle the load.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ed says it "should" be OK. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TACOMAGUY said:
    So now I need 5000 lb. each x 4 scissor jacks over the leveling jacks to be safe at all times, is that correct!!
    I guess I do not understand the question sorry.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Thanks Verna!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Thanks Verna. I know that many companies would be reluctant to indorse this type of modification because they can not control if the work is done correctly. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    TACOMAGUY, Just how many trailers are you trying to level? I also don't understand your statement. :o
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ericnliz said:
    TACOMAGUY, Just how many trailers are you trying to level? I also don't understand your statement. :o
    Ok, now you've done it. Jenn is gonna get out her spreadsheets and figure out how many T@Bs can be leveled with 4 levelers at 5000# heft per level.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    For the record I only replaced the two rear ones. There is no need to replace the front because the tongue jack does the front to back lifting. Its easer to level three points  because all the points will be close to equal in weight. Then you could lower the front stabilizers if you wanted to. I have not on our last two outings and things have been very stable.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Stabilizers are rated @ 1700lb each. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Tacomaguy - Typically when refering to BAL, it's a left/right leveling device. Yes, the T@Bs come with four "stabilizer" jacks. They're not meant for lifting but can hold the T@B up if it's jacked up first. Personally I haven't needed anything else. If my bearings need greasing I take it to a shop. If I have a flat I call AAA. I have no need for "jacking". If I do at some point, I can use my TV jack but so far over two years full-timing I haven't needed to.
  • Options
    PXL, Thanks for the clarification! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Tacomaguy - Typically when refering to BAL, it's a left/right leveling device. Yes, the T@Bs come with four "stabilizer" jacks. They're not meant for lifting but can hold the T@B up if it's jacked up first. Personally I haven't needed anything else. If my bearings need greasing I take it to a shop. If I have a flat I call AAA. I have no need for "jacking". If I do at some point, I can use my TV jack but so far over two years full-timing I haven't needed to.
    BAL also manufacturers the stabilizers, though and you can buy BAL tongue jacks, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited September 2016
    To clarify, this discussion is about the scissor jacks that happen to be made by BAL.  It appears that Tacomaguy is confused with so many mentioning the other parts that are manufactured by the BAL company. 

(BAL also manufactures the tire leveler which levels side to side, the stock T@B stabilizer as insurance allied by the factory, and other trailer parts.) 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna thank you for all of your valuable knowledge and input, but I must respectfully disagree with the comment that stabilizers are not able to hold their rated weight for a long period. In fact they are able to support their rated weight indefinitely. Otherwise they would not be safe at all.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Verna thank you for all of your valuable knowledge and input, but I must respectfully disagree with the comment that stabilizers are not able to hold their rated weight for a long period. In fact they are able to support their rated weight indefinitely. Otherwise they would not be safe at all.
    Dale, I bow to your immense wisdom. I'll change my comment. Thank you!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Dale, I bow to your immense wisdom. I'll change my comment. Thank you!
    Ouch!!!!  
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,433
    Dale, this is a great idea and has really caught my attention as an easy solution to leveling in tight spaces or uneven terrain.

However, while most comments seem to be about the capacity of the jacks themselves, I'm more concerned about the load point where the jacks are actually attached. It appears this is not actually on the main frame of the camper, but rather on two smaller extensions that protrude backward from the main frame. I think this was the concern that OutbackAZ and jdargis suggested previously.

I understand that the attachment points are designed to support the weight of the trailer for maintenance purpose. However, dynamic live loads (like people bouncing around on a floor) can increase the total load on a structure several times over.

Did you do any research to confirm that the smaller frame extensions are adequate to support the weight of the occupied trailer while it is off the suspension? If the T@B frame was wood I could probably figure it out, but steel engineering is a little out of my pay grade!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    Dale, this is a great idea and has really caught my attention as an easy solution to leveling in tight spaces or uneven terrain.

However, while most comments seem to be about the capacity of the jacks themselves, I'm more concerned about the load point where the jacks are actually attached. It appears this is not actually on the main frame of the camper, but rather on two smaller extensions that protrude backward from the main frame. I think this was the concern that OutbackAZ and jdargis suggested previously.

I understand that the attachment points are designed to support the weight of the trailer for maintenance purpose. However, dynamic live loads (like people bouncing around on a floor) can increase the total load on a structure several times over.

Did you do any research to confirm that the smaller frame extensions are adequate to support the weight of the occupied trailer while it is off the suspension? If the T@B frame was wood I could probably figure it out, but steel engineering is a little out of my pay grade!  :-)
    All I can do is suggest you reread all of the posts. If that does not convince you than I would not do this modification. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun