Options

Lagun Table or old style table?

webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
edited November 2017 in Products and Accessories
Have been very interested in the TAB S and watched many videos, finally went to a local dealer to see one up close. It had the "new" style of table which was quite disappointing, the dealer didn't know if the old style was still available. One of the things that attracted me to this camper was how easy it was to set-up the bed by folding the table down. The new table takes few more steps to set up and fiddle with the slats, and as a table is pretty useless for two people to eat or work at it, so my question is is the old style table still available? And if not are there other practical solutions for a bigger table? Thank you in advance
2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Our Max S is on order, but I agree about the table top. It seems heavy, it's ugly, and pretty narrow.  It's functional. I do like the swivel feature of it, though. I've seen a few pics on this forum of hand crafted wood tops to replace the one that comes with it. I am thinking of doing the same thing and replacing the one that comes with it.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Don't know if that table is still available or not but am betting there's a bunch sitting in peoples storage not being used like mine. If you can't get it from the factory, someone here may sell you theirs.
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Webers3. Are you, by any chance, near Phoenix? You're welcome to my original table. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Thank you all for quick response and suggestion, glad to hear old tables are still available, hopefully still will be when we decide to get the T@B.
    @cbarnhill, not near Phoenix but that would be one of our destinations regardless of what camper we decide on.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Check Goodwill ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Free one in North Carolina as well....let me know if you need it.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    SusanBSusanB Member Posts: 20
    We have been living off and on in our camper since Jan 2015. After just six months the old style table broke. It does fold neatly down but is not built for prolonged use. This year I ended up putting in some framework to support the table in the down position and it has held up since February 
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Might be a free one in Texas if I can convince my wife to let me put some screws on her baby so I can do the slat mod. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    No - please take mine. In fact, I'll give YOU $10 to take it.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
     =)=)=)  
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited October 2016
    Ditto. Free. El Centro, CA. All yours.  All kidding aside, the number of us giving these away should be a "clue"... AND, to make my point, I will tell you, I don't even have the new Lagun. I have a teak shower stool and bed slats. 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    See - Tables coming out of the woodwork :-)
  • Options
    Many owners have donated theirs to local yacht clubs for use as boat anchors.
  • Options
    Thank you all, I think I am getting the point but still not fan of the Lagun table
  • Options
    I consider the Lagun table one of the top 3 mods on my Tab. Extremely versatile and well designed. Mine is secured to the passenger seat pedastile. Perfect for my everyday use of the Tab.
  • Options
    Oops, driver side pedestal.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited October 2016
    @webers3, maybe take delivery with lagun "boxed and un-installed" and after pondering things after delivery you can decide if you want to install it or take one of our free tables.  That way, you have the newest on hand but can go with "old school" instead if you choose. It is probably hard to understand why we all walked from the shin-crushing-finger-pinching-swear and hernia-inducing beast. Search this forum for "table" and you may come to your own un-biased conclusion on the state of things... ;)  
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    webers3 said:
    Thank you all, I think I am getting the point but still not fan of the Lagun table
    I understand your criticisms of the Lagun table--while it's apparently the cat's meow for many T@bbers, it involves compromises just like anything else. It really comes down to how you use your camper.

I also think the original table is a pretty clever design. However, we found the size a bit confining for our purposes, and--since we leave the bed set up 95% of the time anyway--the legs occupied a lot of under-bed space that could be put to better use. I replaced the table with bed slats, and we use a compact folding camp table for those rare occasions when we eat inside. YMMV!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    I'm still laughing about the boat anchor.
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    ScottG, You have a good point regarding freeing up space under the bed.  The bed slats offer a big improvement. As I recall, some folks complained that the table as a bed support rocked- not the good rock, the motion rock.  The slats offer stable support.  Have not heard if Tabbers are happy with the  new PV bed slat version as so many people have created their own.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Depending on how you camp you may be eating most of your meals outside.  We replaced our table with bed slats and it has made a world of difference on how roomy it feels inside during the day and how quickly the bed can be put up and put away.  We are currently using a small folding camping table, it can easily be moved in and out of the trailer and is adequate for eating when the weather doesn't allow eating outside.  With the table there was no room to move inside the T@B as it was always there and because of the way it folded there was really not good leg room when sitting.  We love having no table in the T@B during the day.  And yes I have a table you can have for free here in Connecticut.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    webers3, Liz & I tried desperately to actually "like" the old style table, right up to the point of using it for the bed support. Having a very bad back, the table would actually "sink" when laid on, and created a dip that drove my back crazy. Not only that, but would make very strange creaking noises when you turned over in bed. OUTSKIE with the old table, in with bed slats, and have been a happy camper ever since! Along with the difficulty of putting it up & down [cursing, pinched fingers, bruised shins, etc.] when being used for both a table, or bed support, it now resides in my garage for a work side bench. I'll up the ante to $20.00 from what Outback AZ offered just to take it away, although the donation to the yacht club for a boat anchor still has me chuckling! =)  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    We took the design of the old table, removed 6 inches, had the new table made out of 3/4" plywood, had it covered with a light birch Formica.  The table, with 1- 5 1/2" slat make the foundation for the bed mode.  I think they missed the mark at PV, for designing a table with the Lagun and not utilizing as the bed base.  I think the space of storing all the slats and storing the table below, defeated the benefit of the Lagun.  I don't know how to load pictures on this site, but contact me at lawrencedargis@gmail.com with your email and I will send you pictures.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2016
    I have to put a plug in for the original table. We think it's fine! In fact I'd have to say we even like it!

I have put rails in and we use bed slats sometimes, while using the table outside for coffee and dominoes in the sun. The rails, in addition to providing functional support for the slats, are good for supporting the table at the right bed height, which prevents the squeaking and sagging that ericnliz found difficult (note that the table does have adjustable feet, so that it can be made higher or lower to accommodate the correct bed height).

It is heavy and awkward to move in and or of the Tab, and raising and lowering it takes some practice. I think the heaviness helps make it more stable as a table, however.

At times we've found that removing it completely from the space helps, like when packing, or when cleaning out the Tab. I also tended to remove it completely from the Tab when I was solo, traveling with the dog, so he'd have a bigger floor space.

It lacks in the weather-proof department though - it isn't waterproof, and water destroys the particleboard top if it seeps in along the edges.

I think that, if the Lagun table converted to bed slats, was easily stowable (like bed slats), and had a base to attach so it could be moved around to sunny spots outdoors, it would be worth trading in the existing 'old style' heavy table.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    JustjudyJustjudy Member Posts: 75
    We loved the lagun table, but felt it was too small. So we ordered a new top from Pleasant Valley -  28 1/2" x 22 1/2". We haven't mounted it yet because we just got our T@B back from being serviced at the dealer. A story for another thread. The new top will swing back against the seat back just like the smaller one, but we think it will will be a much more useful size. I made a cardboard model to test out my theories before ordering. The only thing I worry about is if it will be too heavy for the mounting the way it cantilevers out. Time will tell. In the second photo below, the larger top is sitting atop the small one.

Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
  • Options
    ChanW mentions that he wishes the Lagun table was more stowable. How does everyone stow it? I guess I assumed that it disassembled partly and lay under the bed slats. 
  • Options
    JustjudyJustjudy Member Posts: 75
    The top comes off and the support breaks into two sections. We stow the lot under the bed slats. It seems easy to me. There are no legs blocking under the bed like with the old table. There's more room to stow things.
    Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
  • Options
    Perfect! That's what I presumed. That would work perfectly. 
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    I use the table top as some of the bed slats that way I need less bed slats. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
     That's a good idea. I'm not sure I want a table that long. Of course, until I can convince DW to let me drill a couple of holes in her new baby girl, I can just speculate. :)