Sewer hose storage on T@B Outback

Has anyone mounted a sewer hose storage tube to the underside of their T@B Outback near the back end?  If so, how far in from the back end did you mount it?  Any pictures available?

I had initially planned to install one along the side of the trailer tongue, but the platform is in the way and I have my spare tire mounted on the tongue.  The only other place I can think to install the tube would be across the tongue in front of the
propane/battery box and the spare tire, but I'd rather have it out of sight.
2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle

Comments

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    I found that discussion as well,  but the options won't work with my setup.
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You probably need to explain your setup then. The two most common external spots are frame and rear.
    I think you could mount a PVC tube pretty much anywhere between the back bumper and the brace where the shell attaches to the frame (where Lil_Lucy did).
    The difference is you'd have to drill through the shell to attach tube brackets and place extra large washers on the inside of the shell to spread the load.
    If an Outback is similar to a Max S there is plenty of space along that slope to mount a tube.  You can determine best location for the holes if you remove the rear shelf and reflective baffle and reach down along the back side. You'll likely be inserting bolt and washer blindly depending on how low you want to go.
    The shell is plenty strong enough to do this and silicon sealant would waterproof the mod (like the holes drilled for lights). Doing it blindly won't be fun though.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    edited November 2016
    TabberJohn, I thought your suggestion in another thread (http://www.tab-rv.com/forum#/discussion/comment/53596) could be an elegant solution for sewer hose storage. As marknjudy pointed out, that dead space in the tail isn't really earning its keep.

I'd be inclined to pass the pipe all the way through and cap both ends. You'd need enough clearance to avoid cutting into any cabin frame elements or other hard parts. I'd consider this an advanced project, but there are some capable fabricators here who I'm sure could pull it off if there is enough room to do so.
    2015 T@B S
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Hey! Great idea!! Mod is back on the table! Thanks, ScottG!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    That's the ticket. Was this a no-drill solution?
    I see the zip ties but what are they attached to and how were those anchors attached to the shell?
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Zip ties were just temporary. Four 1/4" bolts with fender washers. Very easy no big deal.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    I think you could mount a PVC tube pretty much anywhere between the back bumper and the brace where the shell attaches to the frame (where Lil_Lucy did).
    The difference is you'd have to drill through the shell to attach tube brackets and place extra large washers on the inside of the shell to spread the load.
    If an Outback is similar to a Max S there is plenty of space along that slope to mount a tube.  You can determine best location for the holes if you remove the rear shelf and reflective baffle and reach down along the back side. You'll likely be inserting bolt and washer blindly depending on how low you want to go.
    The shell is plenty strong enough to do this and silicon sealant would waterproof the mod (like the holes drilled for lights). Doing it blindly won't be fun though.

Just to clear things up a little, there was no drilling into the shell when mounting my rear sewer hose carrier. It is bolted to a bracket I designed and had made and fits on the spare tire bracket underneath. The 46" sewer hose carrier can be purchased at Camping World or Amazon. (it holds a 10 foot sewer hose). I have the same sewer hose carrier mounted in front to the frame (with 7" hose clamps) for an additional 10 foot of hose if I should ever need it. I don't know if there is a difference between the Outback Model and the Max S in that rear area. I wouldn't think there is.
    I hope the attached pictures explains it better.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Lil_Lucy-since the Outback carries the spare tire on the Yakima up above, that spare tire bracket isn't on the bottom. One could be fabricated though. Yours is a nice solution.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    edited November 2016
    Twojgrams said:
    Lil_Lucy-since the Outback carries the spare tire on the Yakima up above, that spare tire bracket isn't on the bottom. One could be fabricated though. Yours is a nice solution.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I apologize to all you Outback owners. However; that bracket design should work with any model that has the spare tire bracket mounted underneath.
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • SkiCOSkiCO Member Posts: 18
    Just mounted my hose storage on our new Outback.  I like this because it was really easy and did not require any permanent modification.    
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Neat! What length hose does it accommodate and how much room is there for more tubing should it be necessary?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Perfect!!  I walked all around my Outback last week with a sewer hose holder under my arm and couldn't figure out where to put it so I just returned it.  Off to Camping World again tomorrow to buy another one.  What size straps did you purchase?

Just curious... what is on the right side of the Yakima rack?
  • SkiCOSkiCO Member Posts: 18
    It telescopes, this is the 33/60 and I have the standard Rhinoflex with the end caps and they fit no problem.  I used 7" straps.  I have the Yakima High Roller bike rack mounted to the right of the rack.  
    Thank you, SkiCO
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Ok, just a question. It's my understanding that these hose holders have holes drilled along the bottom for drainage and ventilation. Granted, you rinse your hose each use, but for me, I'd rather not have that dripping down the back of my T@b. Just a thought...
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    I don't recall seeing holes on the one I purchased.  Can anyone confirm?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The only holes in these hose holders are in the end caps. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Verna,

What kind of straps did you use to secure your sewer hose?  We bought 14 inch UV resistant ties that we thought we can daisy chain to increase the length.  Also, since the tank valves are on the drivers side, any reason to put the sewer hose holder on the passenger side?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    :) Thanks @Verna for clarifying. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

SAM said:

Verna,

What kind of straps did you use to secure your sewer hose?  We bought 14 inch UV resistant ties that we thought we can daisy chain to increase the length.  Also, since the tank valves are on the drivers side, any reason to put the sewer hose holder on the passenger side?

I used 18" long by 1/4" wide UV resistant tie wraps from Panduit. I have some around the house. The reason to put the sewer hose tube on the passenger side of the tongue is because it won't fit on the driver's side with the black and gray sewer connections. 

Just unscrew the end while standing on the driver's side, slide the hose out of the tube and let it drop on the ground. Slide it under the tongue to the driver's side, connect and empty tanks. 

Put the hose hose on the ground, slide to passenger side, put it in the tube, screw the cap in place, take off your rubber gloves, clean your hands, verify everything is put away and go back to having g fun!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 80
    Did something similar to @SkiCO, but used the Yakama rack to mount the sewer tube.  See http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5193/2017-outback-storage-and-sewer-hose-mods#latest for details 
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Rangergirl, we purchased the 64 inch Valterra sewer hose holder and the 15 foot Rhino flex that collapses down to 56 inches and mounted it to the passenger side frame.  The hose and connectors fit fine.  We also have an additional 5 feet of hose and connectors, just in case.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150

This is where we mounted ours. Works great.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 80
    @Rangergirl   Tire mount came with the Outback package.. It bolts to the Yakama rack and has a hasp for a lock.  Might check Yakama.  My sewer hose carrier holds 10 and 5 foot Rhinos plus the elbow (disconnected).
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Jellybones11Jellybones11 Member Posts: 27
    I mounted mine in the same spot as @hymie and it works well.

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    hymie said:

This is where we mounted ours. Works great.
    This looks good, @hymie. Perhaps the most discrete way of mounting this I have seen. Would you mind sharing what length it is and what hose you fit into it? I have a Rhino hose.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• NHCraigNHCraig Member Posts: 26
    Also, if you don't mind, how hard was it cutting the circular holes on the trim behind the battery/propane compartment?  What tools did you use?  Thanks, this looks like a great solution!