Options

How you setup to camp Walmart 1 night?

PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
We have always been doing the whole set up each time we camp.

As we are planning a long distance trip there will be few 1 night camp along the way.  Is it ok not to lower the stabilizer legs down and not to unhook the hitch for those 1 night only?
2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston

Comments

• Options
    VillagersVillagers Member Posts: 6
    Yes you can do that. You may want to make sure it's almost level front to back and you can put the rear stabilizer legs to stop the rocking side to side.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Yes, it is OK to not unhitch and leave the stabilizers up.  If in a Wal-Mart parking lot you should look like you are just parked there.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Big thanks for the advices .  We would not have known . 

This is truly a great forum (esp for novice in camping - us)
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Don't forget to unplug your 7pin from the tow vehicle or you could wake up with a dead battery.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The fridge is sensitive to not being level so either find a level spot front/back and side/side or use leveling blocks to get there.
    When I'm out shooting (photos) I do alot of 1-2 nighters and remain hooked up.
    Have never had to resort to a Walmart yet though :-)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited February 2017
    I had the same questions when I got started and did some research. Here are the basics of what I have learned: You should look like you are parked and really nothing more when overnight at a Walmart - no camp chairs, no stabilizers down, no clamshell hatch open - no sign that anyone is there. I keep the shades drawn and a low profile. The idea of overnight parking is that you are parking, not camping. The obvious "do unto others" rules apply - leave the space better than you found it and stock up on supplies where you are parked. 
    If you have a clamshell, I would recommend stopping ahead or after you depart in the AM to cook at a rest area or somewhere similar.
    Don't be alarmed if a street sweeper goes through overnight. 
    I have never had a difficult time finding a level spot in a Walmart parking lot. I had a tough time in Cracker Barrel parking lot, once, so I turned the fridge off while I was there.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    Here's a very entertaining (and informative) video on Walmart parking overnight by the Long Long Honeymoon folks: http://longlonghoneymoon.com/2015/07/video-top-13-tips-for-walmart-overnight-parking/

2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    And if you have the 12v fridge, being level isn't important.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Here's a very entertaining (and informative) video on Walmart parking overnight by the Long Long Honeymoon folks: http://longlonghoneymoon.com/2015/07/video-top-13-tips-for-walmart-overnight-parking/

I love the LoHo videos. The one about the mouse problem was hysterical. They are in another league of camping than I am, but they are still informative.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:

I love the LoHo videos. The one about the mouse problem was hysterical. They are in another league of camping than I am, but they are still informative.
    OMG am watching the Mouse one now, totally hilarious!
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    We normaly fill and drain the fresh water tank at camp site.  I take for long distance travel it's better to have the water tank filled when leave home.
    Is this how you folks do?
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    If I'm not planning hookups I fill before leaving home.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    Playc, if you plan to use full hook ups on your travel to a longer stay camp site, you can wait to fill up at your last site with available hook ups.  Save mpg not towing all that weight, unless, of course, you plan on using the facilities on the way.  If you only need the toilet while in route, consider carrying enough water in a jug to flush.  It really all depends on where you plan to stop along the way.  Some people stay in hotels along the way, so, no water needs for that.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Also, since this is a Walmart thread that's morphed into a water thread, I'll note that I refilled my water tank ( 6 gallons ) at Walmart using their in-store water dispenser and my own 2.5 gallon jug for 30 cents a gallon. The dispenser was really hidden in the far back of the store. And it tasted good. =)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Also, since this is a Walmart thread that's morphed into a water thread, I'll note that I refilled my water tank ( 6 gallons ) at Walmart using their in-store water dispenser and my own 2.5 gallon jug for 30 cents a gallon. The dispenser was really hidden in the far back of the store. And it tasted good. =)
    That's good to know. I might use that to refill my 2.5 gallon water jug, while I travel. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014