Options

New Fresh Water Fill

2»

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

TerryV6 said:

We wanted to replace original filler spout with one shown earlier.  I thought it would be the work of a moment but...  First I carefully took off the old one.  It took a while.  Then, I saw that the original nipple end was longer than the replacement.  Also, the camper hose didn't reach the new fitting.  Off the store.  The air line fitting needed extra parts and also a little extra hose material.  I searched the local stores but got it at a camping place.  The hardest part was tightening up the hose clamps that were in effect, inside the camper.  Finally, got er done...
    The first pic is the original.  The second is the finished version.  My last one shows the two fillers together, a nipple connection and a hose ection I cut a piece from..  

I noticed you different fill. I used the JR products and it was basically plug and play.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I wasn't aware of different kinds in this... sigh...  the nipple length was my problem.  Also, there was no "extra " length in my hose line.  Lastly, I used clamps, glad I did, but difficult to install...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited April 2017

What is the main reason for changing this to a screw on cap as  opposed to the original?

I found the original a real pain because the cap got in the way with larger containers.. When mine broke, I switched to this style and it is much easier to use when filling with a 5 gallon container.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410

jkjenn said:

What is the main reason for changing this to a screw on cap as  opposed to the original?

I found the original a real pain because the cap got in the way with larger containers.. When mine broke, I switched to this style and it is much easier to use when filling with a 5 gallon container.

Did your original actually break or just snap off. It has kind of a unique design in that it will snap off and   can be snapped back on. I found that out purely by accident.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options

jkjenn said:

Did your original actually break or just snap off. It has kind of a unique design in that it will snap off and   can be snapped back on. I found that out purely by accident.

No, it actually broke.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Dalehelman, after my flipping fill door came apart a dozen times or so, it would no longer stay in place. I had to replace and decided to upgrade to the screw-on lid style. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

My wife said to do it.....
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @TerryV6, Kinda' comes above all other reasons, huh? ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2017
    Terry, I had to chuckle a bit when I read your write-up above as this seems to be the norm with most of these mods and most mods I take on.  You start out eagerly and with good intentions, only to find out that nothing goes as planned, you end up needing something in addition to what you have and it requires a trip to Home Depot, Lowe's, a nearby hardware, etc.   Not to mention that taking things apart normally involves more effort and time than previously anticipated.  I found this out yesterday while upgrading some tail light fixtures to LED fixtures on my utility trailer.  The bolts on the back of the lights were rusted badly and I had to get out my hand grinder to cut them off, but luckily the new fixtures did come with new bolts and eliminated the trip to the nearby hardware store....  All is good now and thanks for sharing your upgrade as it will help others out as Jenn's original posting has done!  :)

Good stuff and another mod I need to undertake as the fill door on mine is an object of angst for me often too!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I haven't had my T@B long enough to get through everything, so still learning it.  Yesterday, I came across two "fails." One was the choice of this water fill cap.  It is nearly worthless and will be removed in the near future.  The second is the fresh water drain; the way it is configured, you have to get on your hands and knees to turn the valve to open (not so bad - I've had to do this on other RVs), but the water flows out right at me!  I tried going to one or the other side; then I can't get to the valve.  So, it's turn the thing on, quick, and run!  Yeah, that's going to change real soon too!  All in all, I am finding the T@B to be very well built (aside from some minor nuisances)!  But all are easily fixed.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @JohnDanielsCPA, Yup, that fresh water drain is a turn it & run deal. I use a piece of old automotive heater/vacuum hose on mine BEFORE I open the valve( slips right on the drain spout) to direct it away from me. It's about 1 1/2 feet long, and has kept me dry & head bang free (right before the run part) so far.'Ya might give it a try.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238

ericnliz said:

@JohnDanielsCPA, Yup, that fresh water drain is a turn it & run deal. I use a piece of old automotive heater/vacuum hose on mine BEFORE I open the valve( slips right on the drain spout) to direct it away from me. It's about 1 1/2 feet long, and has kept me dry & head bang free (right before the run part) so far.'Ya might give it a try.

Exactly what I was thinking.  I'm going to see if the whole valve can be turned first.  If not, out comes the tubing!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ugh! That was the rinse off after the redneck bath! :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2017

Verna said:

@Dalehelman, after my flipping fill door came apart a dozen times or so, it would no longer stay in place. I had to replace and decided to upgrade to the screw-on lid style. 

I've noticed this on mine too.  The plastic lips of the cover that hold it to the intake fill point seem to lose their ability to hold the cap tightly in place.  After traveling down the road I've had to tap the cap back into place as the intake is exposed to dust and dirt, etc.   I plan to replace mine too in the future and will wait for warmer temperatures and as time permits.  

For all you folks who like and have gadgets and power tools, this guy has an interesting and quick way to fill up his fresh water tank when boondocking.  

https://youtu.be/WtQfa_Cd6eM?t=104
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Mike, that seems brilliant, thanks!

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    jkjenn said:
    I broke the door on my fresh water fill last year when my heavy water jug slipped. I found the original fill to be a pain so I went with a different style that will work better for filling, I think. I started the job a while back, but had a chance to finish it and clean up the caulk, today.

Ugh. Same thing just happened to me and I lost the original door at a campsite.
    @jkjenn is this the replacement part that you used?
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/gravity-water-fill-polar-white/60332

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    jkjenn said:
    I broke the door on my fresh water fill last year when my heavy water jug slipped. I found the original fill to be a pain so I went with a different style that will work better for filling, I think. I started the job a while back, but had a chance to finish it and clean up the caulk, today.

Ugh. Same thing just happened to me and I lost the original door at a campsite.
    @jkjenn is this the replacement part that you used?
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/gravity-water-fill-polar-white/60332

Looks the same but CW doesnt list the manufacturer.

• Options
    I bought the replacement part, but after removing the screws from the original gravity water fill it won't budge. I tried loosening up the adhesive with a heat gun but it seems very solid. I'm worried that I'll wreck the trailer body if I try to get if off.

Any suggestions @jkjenn @Verna or anyone else who has replaced this part? 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Marceline, nüCamp repair replaced mine because I encountered the same thing you did. They didn’t tell me the secret.  Do you see any tie wraps/zip ties holding the drain pipe in place under the sink...anything obvious?  If not, send an email to repair@nucamprv.com or give them a call and maybe they can give you the secret.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply @Verna
    There is a hose clamp but when I jiggle the entire fitting from the inside I can see that the filler fixture is firmly attached to the body of the trailer even after backing out all of the screws. It's so firm that I worry that it will damage the body of the trailer if I try to pry it off.  It feels like it's attached with some pretty serious adhesive rather than just caulk and screws.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2018
    @TerryV6, was your corrugated hose glued to your old fitting? Mine's a bear to remove.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Marceline said:
    I bought the replacement part, but after removing the screws from the original gravity water fill it won't budge. I tried loosening up the adhesive with a heat gun but it seems very solid. I'm worried that I'll wreck the trailer body if I try to get if off.

Any suggestions @jkjenn @Verna or anyone else who has replaced this part? 

Mine was only adhered with caulk. It was stubborn to get off, but it didn't damage the body. I'd recommend a plastic putty knife. Pulling one edge up while working underneath with a putty knife will help. My hose fitting was a bear to get back on inside. It wasn't clamped on at all. I put a radiator clamp on it. BTW, there wasn't enough hose to pull outside to work on it. Never a dull moment, right?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I like to use a plastic food scraper to help get between the body and the caulk. 

• Options
    @TerryV6, was your corrugated hose glued to your old fitting? Mine's a bear to remove.
    To be honest, I saw your question, and had to reread this thread to bring it back in focus.  It came free eventually.  There was no spare tubing length in there for me.  So, as Jenn pointed out, I had ordered a slightly different make than hers, and thus incurred addional problems.  I worried about losing the hose inside, so I tied on to it with string.  I did use clamps and there wasn’t much work room.  I never bought a thingy.  Instead we have a large funnel with a flexible nozzle.  I like that I know that I’m full when I get shot at from the other intake in the filler top.  

I saw saw talk about the black filler below this and how it might be fixed or replaced.  I plug it in and later find it hanging.  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI