It's heresy I tell you....but who needs a spare tire?

I know there are tons of discussions about remounting the spare on non outback models.  I know per the polls i maybe in the minority.  But how many of you have actually had to use the spare?  I have good sams.  Yea I know if I have a blowout....and when I start doing more remote camping I'm going for an alternate mount.  But in all the years I've carried a spare I have NEVER had to use it.  I carry one on my jeep. So it's not like I'll be stranded.  So I'm thinking this is like insurance.   Weighing the cost vs likelihood I'll need it.   Thoughts?
2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
David & Jill, Houston, TX

Comments

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @texasaubiefan, Ha,ha,ha, Now that you've said it, 'ya better knock on wood. :o  I moved mine, and I'm REALLY glad I did! I just can't vision myself crawling under the 'ol T@B on HOT pavement gettin' that sucker outa' there. Just so "ya know, it wasn't that much fun with an air gun on cool driveway pavement! Mine now resides on the front trailer jack post & it will be very easy to not only get to, but change as well! Just sayin'. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I prefer to be self sufficient plus I hate waiting for service.  Sure you can disconnect and go get it repaired or replaced, but I'd rather be on my way. Maybe when I'm retired and not burning precious vacation time my attitude will change. But I doubt it.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Consider yourself lucky. I had a near miss accident that resulted in a bent axle, blown tire, damaged rim, and damaged fender in my Silver Shadow teardrop. 

While the AAA guy couldn't use my spare tire (I found out later the bent axle was the reason it wouldn't fit under the fender), the fellow teardrop owner loaned me her well worn 13" spare that I was able to use to limp home. 

It was a good thing that both of us had spare tires that night. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @db_cooper, I AM retired, and I'm not waitin' on anybody to do something I'm perfectly capable of doing myself. I just prefer to use the K.I.S.S. method! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    Ok.  See if this changes answers.   I have a plug for repairing spares and I carry an onboard air compressor for the jeep.  Figured I'd get some lively debates.  
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   

ericnliz said:

@texasaubiefan, Ha,ha,ha, Now that you've said it, 'ya better knock on wood. :o  I moved mine, and I'm REALLY glad I did! I just can't vision myself crawling under the 'ol T@B on HOT pavement gettin' that sucker outa' there. Just so "ya know, it wasn't that much fun with an air gun on cool driveway pavement! Mine now resides on the front trailer jack post & it will be very easy to not only get to, but change as well! Just sayin'. ;)

Probably shouldn't have posted this.  Sure as the world karma will bite me in the butt.  
    @texasaubiefan, Ok Mr., but just remember, YOU ASKED. I'd REALLY like to see you put a plug in a shredded tire! See how that one works for 'ya =) , air compressor & all!  :)
    Spokane, Wa.

edited May 2017
    @texasaubiefan, Do 'ya feel bit yet? :o
    I'll have to admit, 'ya made me laugh just postin' that one! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

ericnliz said:

@texasaubiefan, Ok Mr., but just remember, YOU ASKED. I'd REALLY like to see you put a plug in a shredded tire! See how that one works for 'ya =) , air compressor & all!  :)

Very true.  But how often does that really happen?  If the odds are low, I chose one path.  If I'm betting fate and rv tires are suspect, I bet differently.  The reason I chose this debate is I'm constrained on tongue weight.  Like I said, I'm doing things right now where I'm accessible. So it's between a generator to stay cool at the beach or the spare in the tongue. Just weighing the odds.  The one thing I do know....Texas summers are miserable and no ac = no wife on the trips.  
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    edited May 2017
    Hey @texasaubiefan, just leave the spare in the garage till ya need it. It'll be fine =)
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
    Michigan_Mike discovered his spare tire for his SUV had the same bolt pattern (@ericnliz, is that the correct term?) as that of his Silver Shadow. He then started just carrying his SUV's spare donut. 

But, two days ago, my nephew's Mother-in-law hit a chuck hole that was filled with water and was invisible during a rain. She blew two tires and 3 other vehicles behind her blew at least one. Unrepairable in her case.  And this was in an area of town that had plenty of tire businesses to choose from.  She had to be towed to her choice of tire businesses.

And my tire that had the blow out was in shreds. Unrepairable.

If you never travel away from towns that have 24/7 tire repair businesses, you don't need a spare. If you go where that country road or two lane road takes you, you need a spare tire and the knowledge of how to change your own tire should it be unrepairable. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Good one @marknjudy!!!!!!!!!! :) ( I'm just glad I wasn't drinkin' any beverages when I read that! )
    @texasaubiefan, Sounds like 'ya got a real conundrum on yer hands! 
    Spokane, Wa.

• EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Never had the opportunity to carry a spare on my motorcycle, but I surely carried a patch kit -- and used it a thousand miles from home! I'd never leave home without a spare on the T@B and the TV.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

I could ditch the wife and make things simple. But after almost 35 years I've learned to place my bets carefully
    Easy now, pard', you'll be skatin' on some thin ice here shortly! Maybe you should just leave the spare where it is & count yer blessings! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Verna are you visiting our fair town and surprising us? We are the self proclaimed pothole capital around here, and this year was really bad! Sorry for the nephew's MIL though.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    @Homebodyatheart, oh no you can't try to take the 2nd nickname of our fair town from us. The Crossroads of America IS the Pothole Capital of the Midwest!  Poor Irene, the tire business didn't have her tire in stock and had to give her two loaner tires until her tires come in!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Can't you put the spare on your roof?  That is how we plan to carry the spare.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    It's always refreshing when someone wants to make decisions on actual data, versus anecdotal information. =) I applaud you @texasaubiefan
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
    @verna.   Remind me to meet you somewhere other than mid America.   I'm thinking you need to visit down south
    @texasaubiefan, it's hard telling where you'll find me. When AZ was to cool in mid February, I followed the warm temps go south central Texas. I ended up in Savanah, GA before coming home. AZ seems to be my second home, but my Hoosier roots go with me.....along with my Southern Indiana drawl ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    So do you say ah sheet billy bob.    In savanah it's ah she it bobby jo.  bless your heart.   Just want to make sure you blend.  Bless your heart is a dead southern thing when used artistically.  Most folks out of region think it's a term of endearment.   Not.  It's a polite southern way of say you dumb a$$.  I speak English, Texan and southern 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389

Ok.  See if this changes answers.   I have a plug for repairing spares and I carry an onboard air compressor for the jeep.  Figured I'd get some lively debates.  

I had a flat last summer due to a bad valve stem.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Did you use your spare or have it changed?   
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    On my 1999 Wrangler which has 15 inch tires I carry the T@B spare where the Wrangler spare normally would be on the back of the tail gate. It has the same hole pattern so I can use the T@B tire on the Jeep or the T@B to get me to a tire shop. Art 
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    I wish.  I have 33s.  
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389

Did you use your spare or have it changed?   

I used the spare while it was being repaired. I had to leave it over night.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    edited May 2017
    @texasaubiefan, just reread your tongue weight post and agree with you about a generator being waaaay more valuable in the Texas heat. Heck most of the time we need A/C in the fall and parts of the winter! Given that, you're probably making the right choice.  The spare is probably not an option to carry anywhere else either. It's not even risk/reward for us given the heat, and it's likely more dangerous trying to survive without A/C. I wish you good luck and safe travels. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    I noticed a while ago that one of the non-Roadtrek Sprinter-based RV companies (forgot which one) is no longer providing a spare... just some "special" tires and a can of repair stuff....!!

Have to admit, though, I've only needed a spare maybe five times in millions of miles of driving. I think texasaubiefan has a valid point; I've considered ditching the spare on our T@B's replacement-- but I'm too chicken to actually do it yet!
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My LG Reverse TD didn't come with a spare. I guess I was lucky and never needed a spare. Being naive, I carried that slime stuff (not realizing that it may not work and shops may refuse to deal with a tire it's been used on). I remember a saying about "Fools and Drunks?" :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)