Options

For New T@bbers: What do I need to get? (T@b supply list)

Comments

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    PXLated said:
    Awhile ago I experienced the opposite - Guy next to me had the biggest, fanciest RV I've seen (four slide-outs) and was pulling a trailer with a four-passenger Polaris Razer four-wheeler, a Mini Cooper and a 2x3 foot cast iron griddle. - No thanks, too much work.
    I agree, I travel by bicycle, motorcycle, or small rv, I really like the freedom it gives me
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I chose the T@B because I could leave the camp home when I wanted go off road as well.  The form of the T@B is perfect (not too big, not too small...)   PXLated, I jealous.  Can't start up again till spring 
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Mawebb -- I use this little Bull's Eye level.  I did not permanently affix it to the T@B, as I like to move it around to test the corners, front and back.  You could also take a reading on the tongue of the T@Bimage
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Wanderoo, that's what I have been using, too. I did recently order a couple of stick on ones to help expedite the process, too. I like the bull's eye, though.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I always found the bullseye gives me too many variables -there's no "just" left or right. The two stick-ons (side/front) give you exactly what you need in the two quadrants you have control over.
    Note: make sure you're level before you stick them on :-)
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Well I've found 3 of the most important items are also must haves for other travelers... Spare tires for TV and RV that are properly inflated...5 gallons of gas...and a jump start box for those times you run the TV battery down...
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The 4th most important is a potty for the middle of the night ;-)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    Well I've found ...and a jump start box for those times you run the TV battery down...
    To avoid discharging the TV, (and to avoid the weight of the jump start box), if I leave the TV connected to the trailer for the night I pull the fuse in the charging wire from the TV battery to the trailer.  I have considered installed a solenoid on this line that would only allow current to flow if the TV ignition switch is turned on, but haven't yet felt the need to spend the $100 for this device.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Mercator  have considered installed a solenoid on this line that would only allow current to flow if the TV ignition switch is turned on, but haven't yet felt the need to spend the $100 for this device.
    I asked the dealer about a solenoid when I was picking up my T@b and they told me that they never install them because they can go bad and ruin the battery. Has anyone heard of this before? Truthfully, I didn't know if they were just giving me a line or if it was actually a potential issue.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    jkjenn said:
    Mercator  have considered installed a solenoid on this line that would only allow current to flow if the TV ignition switch is turned on, but haven't yet felt the need to spend the $100 for this device.
    I asked the dealer about a solenoid when I was picking up my T@b and they told me that they never install them because they can go bad and ruin the battery. Has anyone heard of this before? Truthfully, I didn't know if they were just giving me a line or if it was actually a potential issue.
    My auto mechanic advised again an electronic battery isolator as they can cause problems - particularly in dropping the voltage and current to the trailer battery.  Instead he recommend a mechanical solenoid (basically and on/off switch) which he advised was cheaper and not prone to problems and drops in voltage and current.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    The reason I like legos - 1 min 28 sec from getting out of the TV, looking at the front bubble to level on a 3-stack (3, 2, 1). That includes unlocking the T@B, retrieving the legos, placing them and rolling on.
    Since I was unhitching, the front/back leveling was done with the tongue jack once disconnected. When I remain hitched it probably takes another minute to deploy the other legos to either the T@B or the TV.
  • Options
    Good points, but if the problem is from accidentally leaving interior lights in TV on or headlights on... Or battery drain from cold weather then you still need a jump... I prefer having a battery jumper, so that I don't need jumper cables and do not need to ask strangers for a jump. Also many times my TV is parked in an awkward position, making getting a jump very difficult.
  • Options
    The reason I prefer to forego solenoids and isolators is that it just adds another potential problem point in your 12volt layout...more points to have to troubleshoot... I prefer to keep it as simple as possible. I am not knocking these mods but my jumper solves the problem and adds the ability to jump in emergencies... Good Luck.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Love the Bal leveler, but about half the time we just use pieces of 2x6 that we bring a good supply of. 2x6s make good chocks too.

The cordless drill works on the Bal leveler as it does on the stabilizers.

Don't buy the cheapest level, or the tiniest. The smaller they are, the less likely they are to be anywhere near accurate. And remember that a full bowl of water will do in a pinch, too.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    A simple volt-meter is very handy. There's also an outlet tester (pictured below) that's smart to use on the pedestal before you plug in. It tells you if your pedestal is wired backward. Important to know.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Just to clarify, the voltmeter I check the post with, is that the same voltmeter I can plug into the trailer to check out what my battery is doing?
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I have not had direct experience with the electronic battry isolators, but have to believe that the ones used in the marine industry are reliable such as the ones sold by Blue Sea systems. Most boats have a house battery and starter battery. You need a reliable system of isolating the two batteries as calling AAA for a jump start is simply not an option. These electronic isolators also have a feature available on some to override the isolation when you need to supply power from the house battery to the starter battery. I have used other Blue Sea products and their quality is second to none. My TV only provides power to the trailer connector when the ignition is on, so I have a factory isolator. 

The other way to increase battery capacity is to use two 6 Volt golf cart batteries in series. Many RV's use this configuration. I am just not sure where you could place them unless you install a larger tongue box. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    For whatever it is worth, I added an isolator to my tow vehicle a couple of years ago and it has performed flawlessly (and stopped the drain I was experiencing when I forgot to unhook the tow vehicle).  One less thing I to have to remember to accomplish on a timely basis when I arrive.
  • Options
    I actually use Cortana to help remind me to unplug. I usually pre-load my campgrounds into my favorite places to make it easier to navigate and then I say, "Cortana, remind me to unplug the trailer when I arrive at xxxx." Actually worked flawlessly for me. Also utilized it to remind me to check the propane level when I reached certain destinations, too.  Right now, Cortana is only available on Windows  Phones but might be available on other phone platforms in the future.

• Options
    On iPhones/iPads it's Siri. Don't know what it is on Android-based systems.
    I actually never worry about disconnecting because I alway deploy my solar so I'm sitting right down there looking at the 7-pin plug. Got the routine down...deploy solar, unplug ;-)
  • Options
    The thing I never remember to do is turn off the dang outside light - That's battery draining.
  • Options
    PXLated, only Cortana does location based reminders right now.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, my DW depends on Siri to remind her when she leaves work to pick up wine... 8-) 

Of course, the android one is "ok Google", but I'd prefer Google didn't know my whereabouts all the time, so I keep it turned off.

Radren, the device pictured is only for testing a 110V supply (ie "shore power").
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Jenn - Siri does it - Can set location or a radius around a location so it reminds you when you enter that zone.
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    So you need a different kind of voltmeter to check the post before you plug into it?
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The Sperry that is shown test for reverse polarity, grounding, etc at the plug.  You could use a multimeter (voltmeter) to do the same thing.  There is a tube video that shows how.  It is located here   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXlVVgsp64c   .  Hope that helps.  Not my strongest suit, but I just keep the mutilmeter manual and can figure out from there.  

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Question related to basic needs: the list says a wrench to tighten the ball mount. Is there a particular kind of wrench to get? I was in Lowe's today and wondered if any wrench would do. Would a socket set come in handy and if so, would it be a standard set that will work on the bolts found on T@B? Thanks all!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Question related to basic needs: the list says a wrench to tighten the ball mount. Is there a particular kind of wrench to get? I was in Lowe's today and wondered if any wrench would do. Would a socket set come in handy and if so, would it be a standard set that will work on the bolts found on T@B? Thanks all!

I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQOIV4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Thanks Jenn - I just added it to my wish list.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    MontalaskanMontalaskan Member Posts: 27
    Jkjenn -

Would you mind if I copied your text wand turned it into a PDF for download? Seriously great info in there.

Oh, and Siri has done location-based reminders since 2012. :)

A good old fashioned bubble level is good to have, but in a pinch, I use my iPhone's Compass app. There's a "second page" function - it will do leveling using the edges of the phone or 3D leveling by laying it flat on something.