Options

Solar panels (what to do with them)

I have wanted to add solar panels, but the problem has always been what to do with them. Even the suitcase type weren't quite right. I wanted no setup no take down yet be portable. What I wanted was for it be always available yet invisible. What I found was a 150 watt 39"x39 1/2"single panel. Easy on easy off and plug and play. This works for me. 
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Dale - is this the new Tesla I've been reading about?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Hey, smart.  Who said it had to be mounted to your Tab!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Dale has come up with some really cool mods for the Tab.  After seeing this post, I'm curious what he's done to his regular house. I can't imagine his creativity is limited to the Tab.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Tabaz said:
    Dale has come up with some really cool mods for the Tab.  After seeing this post, I'm curious what he's done to his regular house. I can't imagine his creativity is limited to the Tab.
    The DW keeps me on a short  leash when it comes to the house.Tabaz said:
    Dale - is this the new Tesla I've been reading about?
    Good one
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Tell us about how you mounted it, @Dalehelman . I had a 50w flexible I left on top of my Wrangler roof rack and I liked that for lunch stops and such. Very handy. Will you pop it off at the campsite?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Tell us about how you mounted it, @Dalehelman . I had a 50w flexible I left on top of my Wrangler roof rack and I liked that for lunch stops and such. Very handy. Will you pop it off at the campsite?
    I modified a roof rack for our Jeep GC. Remember I come up with ideas and it's up to you to make them work for you if you like the idea. I am more than happy to help if I can. Yes it can be quickly removed for better placement.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Genius! Thanks Dale!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I can see some possibilities here (and food for thought) for a foldable or stackable pickup truck bed cover with solar incorporated into it.  Would be nice to have something along those lines for a plug & use solar power source for RV owners.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Michigan_Mike, 'Ya just gave me a great idea for the Avalanche! I usually leave at least one, or two of the cover panels on covering the back. That would allow me to use the adjustable frame on my Renogy 100W suitcase model, and get those suckers off the ground!
    @Dalehelman, Do the panels remain flat on the roof, or did you incorporate an adjustable frame as well? Great idea. How long are the connecting wires for your panel, and where did you install the controller?
    I'm still waitin' for the retractable pontoons, and a trolling motor for the real "Lake side view"! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited August 2018
    For the time being it will remain flat. They can be easily  released and propped up if needed. As for the pontoons it's been done. Thinking about wings.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Hover craft for those January trips to Tabazona??? :rofl:
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    I modified a roof rack for our Jeep GC. Remember I come up with ideas and it's up to you to make them work for you if you like the idea. I am more than happy to help if I can. Yes it can be quickly removed for better placement.
    Thanks, Dale. I, too have a GC and was recently w/o dieting what I would need to get to out my flexible panels to the factory rails. It appears as though you are just towers? Or are you using crossbar, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited August 2017
    @jkjenn  here are some pictures. The only modifications were the aluminum angle and I replaced the Allen screws with knobs. I for got about the 4 suction cup feet that the panel sits on.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Dude, you are a GENIUS.  nuCamp...hire this guy as a consultant!! ;)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Thanks, Dale! Brilliant! I love the low profile fit.

• Options
    @Dalehelman has an honorary professorship at T@B University! He & @Pop-T@B are the unofficial advisory board members (guidance counselors if you will!), and darn good at it. =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Most people just call me a know it all
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Dalehelman, All I can say is that you've always been there when after an hour of "head scratchin'", I finally pick up the phone & get some excellent advise & guidance! Thanks for being a good tutor & friend!! :)  
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,426
    edited August 2017
    "People who think they know it all really annoy those of us who do."   :-)

(with apologies to Isaac Asimov)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    "People who think they know it all really annoy those of us who do."   :-)

(with apologies to Isaac Asimov)
    Love it thank you
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,426
    Two other personal favorites...

"Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't."
    - Leo Buscaglia

"What is really important is what you learn after thinking you know it all."
    - Waite Phillips
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Any science advanced enough is indistinguishable from magic OR..... Any magic advanced enough is indistinguishable from science.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    That's a brilliant idea!
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Dalehelman, I have to second the genius of your mod. Your panels have air space under them to have air flow, they are not permanently mounted, yet very secure. Speaking of secure, they aren't in a position for someone to "grab and run" in a campground. You also have no obstructions found on many RVs and campers (fan covers, vents). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Hey @Dalehelman is 150 enough? Just about to order and curious if I need one or two for Boondocking. Thanks for being so smart! You teach me something every day on the Forum.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    @ColleenD2
    Its really hard to say how much is enough. First it depends on your battery capacity. The more batteries the more wattage needed.  With a single group 24or27 100 watt minimum to 200 watt. IMHO
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    KRGKRG Member Posts: 15
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Great idea, @Dalehelman!  Which solar panel source did you use?  And can you share any details about wiring, controller, etc?  Do you use a long cable for repositioning on the ground if needed?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    RV Sue of the RV Sue and Crew blog has her panels mounted on the roof of her tow, a van.  She can park her Casita in the shade while she runs around in the van sightseeing or shopping, and the panels are charging.  I always liked her setup.  On her return, she plugs back into the trailer.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Crystal, does she have an extra battery in the van that she charges with the panels while away from the RV?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio