RV Lock Keyless for RV's is great! (Currently for T@B S Max and T@B 320 {pre 2020} only)

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
Today I installed the Model 4.0 RV Lock that is a keyless entry and also came with two key fobs. This is great!  You can enter using either the key fob, enter your 4-digit code or use one of the keys included with the lock. 

It fits in the same opening that the current door lock has and doesn't take very long to install. Follow the enclosed directions and it's a piece of cake. No more worrying about whether you have your key on you of not. 

They had a 20% off sale for Labor Day weekend (with a portion of the proceeds going to Hurricane Harvey victims) plus a $20 instant rebate if you shared it on FB. Sure, got $20 I did!

Key fob

After installation is finished

All done

Looks good
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    This has been on my radar for a while. Glad to hear it is working out for you.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Hefty price tag, even with the discounts...
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

Does it flash or play a sound, like a car, to confirm it is locked?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It has a sound when using the key fob. I didn't use the numbers last night so I'm not sure if the entering the numbers will cause the sound also. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    edited September 2017
    I installed the model vi3 back in July.  The model vi3 is considerably cheaper, works remotely, and still comes with the same fob.  The only difference is that the vi3 has a separate numerical keypad, which I didn't bother to install.  Since it came with two keyfobs (and I travel solo) I figured I didn't need the integrated keypad. I can see how this might be really useful if you traveled with more than one person, though!

Like Verna said, it was really, really easy to install.  I'd say about 5 minutes or so and it was done without any problems.  They really do have some fantastic sales around each holiday, so I'd suggest waiting to buy until one of these.

My one issue is an odd single random beep from time to time as it locks and unlocks (which isn't the "low battery" beep).  I emailed support and got a very weird answer back from a hotmail account.  I'm attempting to get the sound on video and send a reply and see what they say.

Oh, and yes, it *definitely* makes a sound when locking and unlocking so you know it is complete.  At first I thought it was too loud, but I've grown used to it.  Also, a little blue led light lights up on the fob when locking/unlocking.

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That's pretty cool @Verna, I wish I could justify the price... 

Is the lock & unlock beep loud enough for the neighbors to hear? I would want to quieten it if so.

It's odd that the model with the remote keypad is so much less expensive. 

I'd definitely use the keypad. I hate carrying multiple keyfobs in my pocket.

What would be really cool would be an NFC lock so your phone can unlock it. That's probably coming soon, if not already here.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @ChanW , of course the beep sounded loud yesterday when I was testing it, but I have no neighbors in this Campground on that side of me, so it may not be as loud as I thought it was. And, yes, there are two beeps when using the keypad.  

I carry three sets of keys on this Camp Hosting gig, so not having to carry the heaviest keys with the T@B key is very important.  

When I think that a friend came up to me when I bought my T@B and used her teardrop key to open my T@B, and my Silver Shadow key actually unlocked the deadbolt lock on my sister's Class C RV, the cost is minimal compared to someone letting themselves inside and cleaning out my "stuff".  Two rechargeable O2 fans and one pair of hiking shoes is almost as much as I paid for this. That's one way to put the cost, and the piece of mind it gives me, in prospective. I'm happy with my purchase. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Wow, I had no idea that our T@B keys were so "universal." That's a bit frightening!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited September 2017
    Storage bay locks are supposed to be even worse offenders of the same key. :o
    RVLock's main benefit is unlike other brands the locks won't work with a master key.
    If you just want a more secure lock with a unique serial numbered key consider this model ($35):
    https://www.rvlock.com/collections/mechanical-handle/products/mechanical-handle

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40

Could you please tell me if this is the V3 unit?  Without the separate remotes?  The V4 is over $200 and this one is about $50 but I know Verna said the V4 fit perfectly in our TAB door lock space.  I want to make sure that this one fits as well before I buy it.  Thank you, Minda

At Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=RV+lock+V3+keyless&rh=i:aps,k:RV+lock+V3+keyless

• mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40
    P.S. As far as looking into the keyless pad, I'm less concerned with break-ins than I am that eventually my padlock will stop working.  I've heard about some recalls and my other lock has already stopped! The padlock has been a little persnickety so if it goes, i'm locked out!!!
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Minda, FYI here is a quote on the V4 reviews regarding the V3 device:  

Top critical review

(V 4 review). The keys and fob work great..
    ByMike Karppinenon March 1, 2017
    Don't buy the v3 system if you plan on using the keypad for entry . I could not get the key pad to program and neither could the tech at RVLock. The numbers on the pad will not work reliably when you press them also they will leave finger impressions. The keys and fob work great... If they didn't I would give a lower rating. Spend the extra money for v4 with the integrated key pad ...
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Could you please tell me if this is the V3 unit?  Without the separate remotes?  The V4 is over $200 and this one is about $50 but I know Verna said the V4 fit perfectly in our TAB door lock space.  I want to make sure that this one fits as well before I buy it.  Thank you, Minda

At Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=RV+lock+V3+keyless&rh=i:aps,k:RV+lock+V3+keyless

@mrlynch1953 that is not the full v3 unit (which I have installed, see above), that Amazon listing is just for a spare keypad to go with the unit.  When you buy the full v3 unit, it comes with this.  Presumably they are selling it separate in case someone lost or broke theirs.  

And @SAM, I managed to get the keypad to program (even though I didn't install it) without a problem.  But I'd agree with the review - if you want the ability to use a fob, manual key *and* a numeric keypad, just go for the v4 unit which is all combined.  If you just want the ability to use a key and a remote fob, you can save the money and go for the V3.

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited October 2017

All four RVLock models fit the same common door opening (2.75" wide x 3.75" tall x 1.5" deep).

V4 Keyless with integrated keypad, remote fob, or serialized key ($239.99): https://goo.gl/3mJYc1
    Vi3 Keyless with remote fob, external keypad, or serialized key ($159.99): https://goo.gl/Y1gEGB
    Secure Series Entrance Lock exact replacement, metal ($35): https://goo.gl/ppRuKG
    Mechanical replacement with serialized key ($29.99): https://goo.gl/HqBCPS

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    edited September 2017
    If you wait for their holiday sales, you can get a percentage off of retail. I received 20% off plus $20 off for sharing on FB during their Labor Day sale.

I emailed a positive evaluation to the factory this morning. Maybe at some time they would consider having this lock as an option--no guarantees, but they have my positive evaluation. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    This lock thing is similar across the majority of RVs. The storage key was a CH751 key for ALL basement storage bins for years and years. My toy hauler has this "1-key" system that is supposedly like a house key. It opens the storage bins too.

I still like the idea of the keyless lock!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    I had an Amazon gift card so I pulled the trigger on the v. 4 model and installed it today. 

The install is very easy and only requires the #2 square head screwdriver and a Phillips head screwdriver.

I noticed if I check to make sure it is locked, by slightly pulling, it unseats the door enough that the keypad and fob do not work until I push in on the door, a bit. I do not know if I am the only paranoid person who checks to make sure their door is locked, but just an FYI.

I do not like the loud sounds it makes when locking and unlocking, using the keypad and fob. I get why they included the sounds, but they are really loud. 

I am very pleased that I no longer have the universal locks, however, and think that this will be very nice, overall.

Yes, @jkjenn, the verification beeps seem very loud.  I haven,t been parked within 200’ of another Camper since I installed it.

Did you notice there is a different verification code for lock and unlock?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Verna said:
    Yes, @jkjenn, the verification beeps serem very loud.  I haven,t been parked within 200’ of another Camper since I installed it.

Did you notice there is a different verification code for lock and unlock?
    Yes, I noticed the different sounds. Too bad you cannot turn the sounds off.

If you take the lock apart, you can cut the wires to the sound box.  I remember seeing a mention to that mod when I bought mine (v3 version).  I ended up not doing it at the time as I was short on time.  Now, I'm pretty glad I didn't.

The first few days the sound seemed really loud to me and annoyed me.  Now I barely notice it.  Maybe because I full-time and hear it daily, I've grown used to it.  I even have some very near neighbours where I am now, and they haven't even mentioned the sound to me (and I think they would if they noticed it/it bothered them). 

Like @jkjenn said, I also have to push on the door to re-align it if I try to open it while it is still locked (I had to train myself out of that double-check habit, too!).  So it helps to hear the beeps to know that I've locked it.  

...all that being said, I do wish they had made the beeps a bit more quiet, I am a bit paranoid about being a good neighbour when I'm around other campers  :)

I'm still thinking about going for this code lock. Thanks for the pointer @Verna!
    I was reading the comments on their website. A couple of things stuck in my craw...
    • Do the upper and lower locks use two different keys?
    • There seem to be a number of folks who have found their (plastic) code-buttons to break/peel/fail. I wonder if they've corrected that problem. 1 year warranty isn't very long.
    • They made a comment that the sound board plugs in to the main board. Maybe easy to unplug?
    • I have to respect them for posting negative as well as positive comments on their site. Impressive. (It might be good if they'd answer more of the negative comments though)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @ChanW, the buttons are made like the ones on my house alarm control panel. Silicone-like, and my home alarm doesn’t show wear and the previous one didn’t show wear after over 12 years of use. But, my T@B sits outside without a cover for most of the year, so I don’t know how they will be affected.  I noted the review of that problem and I hope I have a newer version. 

Yesterday I accidentally pressed my door key fob and unlocked it while I was about 20’ away. It didn’t sound that loud at that distance. Maybe it’s just when you’re right next to the door that it is loud.  Of course, we won’t discuss my diminished hearing.......

Two keys are included, but only one key is needed to unlock the door.  One key fob is included and the second must be purchased, or wait for a holiday sale that may give you a free second key fob. 

Since I camped half the summer in a primitive campground with mostly tents, I do not know how many people are getting these locks. I personally love getting away from the two key hole lock and I love the simplicity of the keypad or the fob. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    Thanks @Verna
    It was the two keyholes I see on the lock that I was concerned about. Are they keyed the same (interchangeable keys)?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Yes, @ChanW, keyed the same. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    Do they make these for the 400s
    @Tabfortwo, according to Scott Hubble, this door lock will not work on the T@B 400 models.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    Of course they are unique. I would like to change out the ch751 keys I see that you can do this with a random key number.  
    Ok,, thanks @Verna. There was a suggestion by a reviewer that the handle key (as opposed to the deadbolt key) was a 'master' key for the dealer. I must have misunderstood (can't find where I read that though!)
    Good to hear that the keypad buttons are rubber. The buttons on my home lock are too, and it's lasted just fine.
    I see also, that on their site, RV-Lock offers replacement keypad buttons for a reasonable price (along with other parts). 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya