Options

Tow Vehical MPG...

Comments

• Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    I've always been impressed with references to mileage on this forum, confirmed again in this thread. I only get just above 10mpg towing with a 2010 Honda Pilot. I figure lots of hills/few straights in Newfoundland and higher highway speeds (up to 70+ mph) factor in. We don't drive long distances so the 'opportunity cost' is not too bad. Where highways are divided or multi-lane I slow down, rather than keep up with the flow.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    edited September 2017
    I have an old (2003) Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3.5L V6. I did 3000 miles in July. My best run was 18mpg. I think that the average was closer to 14-16mpg. I tend to stick to 60mph.
    I don't know why more people don't suggest the Santa Fe. Bad brand image? I bought mine new and haven't spent hardly anything on it besides gas, tires, & oil changes (knock on wood). It's been a great TV (I towed a 1,400lb boat trailer with it for 10 years before I got my T@B).  The Shiftronic is great for towing and it came with a transmission cooler as standard equipment. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I see a fair number of older Santa Fe at campgrounds, towing decent sized trailers.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    That's been my experience as well, wizard. Used to be, it wasn't IF the turbo would fail, but WHEN. Nowadays they're cooled by a dedicated coolant line, and modern synthetic oils go a long way toward enhancing their longevity. Variable-geometry turbos have also eliminated the need for waste gates, which were antithetic to efficiency as they increased back pressure in the exhaust system, adding more load to the engine.

Going from a 1982 Peugeot 504D (non-turbo) to my 2005 Jetta was a quantum leap in performance and efficiency, the result of a VG turbo and CPU-controlled injection (both duration and timing). What a difference between the Jetta and the 504D's old-school fixed mechanical Bosch injection system!

And you're absolutely right, a diesel engine's exhaust temp, due its very nature, is lower than a gas engine's, so turbos --now-- are essentially a very durable part of the equation.

The problem, as I see it, are the numerous add-ons to reduce NOx and particulate emissions, that perhaps aren't completely optimized for endurance. These appear to be the current bugaboo on diesels. Still a work in progress, I suppose. (That's why I love my BEW/PD engine!)

BTW, with my "old" Jetta, turbo lag is a humongous.... 1/4 of a second. Not a supercharger, granted, but still pretty respectable, IMO. Not your grandfather's turbocharged Corsair Corsa!!
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    14 mpg with my '13 Ford Escape

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Super chargers perform the same task as a turbocharger. The use either a directdrive(like a pro Charger) or a belt drive from the crank, as opposed to exhaust gases to spin the compressor turbine. Because of the direct engine "connection" is why  a supercharger doesn't experience the "traditional" turbolag. Where as in a turbo, you need exhaust gases to spin the turbine to create the boost, thus lag. This explanation for those who don't understand the basics.  My experience with these power adders comes from drag racing; in the drag racing community all of these power adders have pros & cons. In the case of turbos, they have long ago compensated for the lag through boost controllers and what is called "spooling" the turbos up at the start line. FYI.  My preferred power adder has always been NOS, but that is completely impractical in the realm of towing! Lol
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    19 MPG, driving max speed at 65mph. 2017 Honda Ridgeline. :smiley:
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    19 MPG, driving max speed at 65mph. 2017 Honda Ridgeline. :smiley:
    Dag!!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    4ncar, that's fantastic! What does the Ridgeline have for engine/drivetrain? That is really good mileage.
  • Options
    @irvingj it's Irishcamper who has the rockin MPG, not me :s
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237

AWD 6-Speed Automatic

w/ 3.5L V-6 Engine.

262lb-ft torque.

6 speed automatic transmission.

5000 lb towing capacity.

We're really  happy with it so far. Honda really put a lot of thought into this rebuild; although to get some options, you have to pick a higher end model but we realized the features on those models come in really handy. :)

irvingj said:
    4ncar, that's fantastic! What does the Ridgeline have for engine/drivetrain? That is really good mileage.

Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    edited September 2017
    2014 Touareg TDI 3.0-V6
    Reliably 16mpg @ 65mph towing the T@B.  (30-32mpg not towing)

5mph = 1mpg difference
    At 75mph in cruise control it gets closer to 14mpg but on the Blue Ridge Parkway at 45mph maximum it got over 20mpg even with all the hills.

Overall, most  trips average 16-18mpg start to finish.

• Options
    Oops.. that's what you get for not paying attention.... Thank you for the correction.

In any case, Irishcamper has a winner, I suspect. A delicate balance between HP and MPG/efficiency/towing capacity. Sounds like Honda got it right!  
  • Options
    OpenSkyOpenSky Member Posts: 30
    2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3.6L V6, ~2000 miles from Phx to Wy and back for the eclipse, with a 320 MAX S. Between 15 and 16 mpg without "worrying" - ~ 65-75 mph as appropriate for the road.  My wife bought that vehicle because she wanted a trailer.  She did fabulous - I expected 12-13 mpg.
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    I know this shouldn't be on here because its abnormal but.........6.5mpg. Lifted 2000 Ford X with 6.8L V10. We want to get in to a tacoma or diesel Ranger when they come out (if we like them). I have been told b4 that it looks like the X pooped the Outback. Hahaha. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    thoreau24thoreau24 Member Posts: 4
    We pull our 2017 t@b Max S with a 2016 GMC Canyon.  It's a 4-cylinder diesel which averages 27 mpg not towing.  On our maiden voyage last week we got a average of 20 mpg towing from Denver to Utah on I-70 through Vail pass (fully loaded).  Pulled great with very little pull on the engine even on the steepest of hills.  Very pleased with an average of 20 mpg while pulling uphill.
    Wee Be@stie - Red & Grey 2017 T@B 320 pulled with a grey 2020 Toyota Tacoma.  Not all those who wander are lost.
  • Options
    Jdcouple said:
    I know this shouldn't be on here because its abnormal but.........6.5mpg. Lifted 2000 Ford X with 6.8L V10. We want to get in to a tacoma or diesel Ranger when they come out (if we like them). I have been told b4 that it looks like the X pooped the Outback. Hahaha. 
    That's a stout truck! I like the ride height!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239

I have been told b4 that it looks like the X pooped the Outback. Hahaha. 
    That would make it a "sc@t" (poop) :smiley:
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    Just got back from our trip.  Ohio to Seattle... then back home via to Moab to Petrified Forest to Hot Springs to home ...  6000 mi.    between 14 to16 mpg   with 2016 Honda pilot...   very satisfied..   going 65 to 72 on interstate.   T@B CS-S 2017 everything worked great..  Tires performed great..   
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    First trip, 540 miles from PA to LI. Hilly, hot, humid, full AC. 17.2 with 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E with just over 1500 miles. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    Another very respectable mpg number for the Ridgeline...  hmmmmm....
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited September 2017
    irvingj- as I posted, 17.2 mpg on return trip from Juniata Valley RV in Mifflintown PA (actually Buttonwood Campground 2.9 miles from dealer) to Huntington LI.  The Ridgeline is brand new, started the trip at 1258 miles, finished at 1524.  Most of the trip was at speed limits, occasionally above 70 mph but mostly in 60-65 range.  Tried the ECO setting but the Ridgeline doesn't like pulling on hills in 4 cylinder mode. The truck is averaging more than 26 mpg highway on ECO mode and over 20 mpg combined.  Beats my Expedition by a ton. :)
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wow, I didn't know they made a '16 GMC Canyon diesel (but 4 cyl?). Sounds it was a super TV though!! I have the '15 GMC Canyon 4x4 3.6L tow pkg (extra cooling, bigger alternator, etc). Nothing close to your mpg!!

Mine is mechanically sound. I hate the infotainment system and the nav system is worse than the original Apple maps (version 1). You'll end up at the end of a dock when you ask for the nearest doctor if you're not careful. Money not well spent (getting the nav, I mean). I also hate the color (bronze). It's a popular color in my area. It does hide that pollen color in the Spring. I sorta want it repainted, but I want it done right. It would still cost less then buying a new vehicle (mine is paid for).

What I really want is that 6.2L engine... lifted..4x4... omg. *stop dr00ling*. Of course, mpg would be horrendous.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    "Wow, I didn't know they made ..."

I had to re-read, too! I also was not aware that GM had come out with a small diesel. Sounds intriguing; thoreau24, does it use a urea-ejection system (DEF tank)? Does it have an SCR (Selective Catalyst Reduction) Converter? Does it have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)?

Only thing that scares me about today's diesels is their complexity (I own one)... a LOT of sensors in there.

For those that might be interested:
    http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/canyon-small-truck-duramax-diesel-details.html
  • Options
    it comes with a "jake brake!"
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    irvingj said:
    "Wow, I didn't know they made ..."

I had to re-read, too! I also was not aware that GM had come out with a small diesel. Sounds intriguing; thoreau24, does it use a urea-ejection system (DEF tank)? Does it have an SCR (Selective Catalyst Reduction) Converter? Does it have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)?

Only thing that scares me about today's diesels is their complexity (I own one)... a LOT of sensors in there.

For those that might be interested:
    http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/canyon-small-truck-duramax-diesel-details.html
    Yup, it's got the full compliment of emissions control stuff.  This article gives a decent overview:

https://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/how-the-chevy-colorado-diesel-was-americanized-its-mor-1734799892

I follow midsize truck news pretty closely, so I was a little bit surprised to see that not everyone is aware they have diesel Canyon.  I'm not real shocked though, because they have not really been advertising them much at all, in any way that would reach much of the mainstream public. 

With a tow rating up to 7,700 LB, you can put a really big travel trailer behind that midsize truck, if you want.  Plenty of people have been doing it too. 

I have a 2008 Canyon, and hope to replace it with one of the second generation Canyons after I wear mine out. 

I suspect I would choose the gas V6 for myself though, mostly because of the lower purchase cost vs. the diesel.  With a trailer larger than the T@b though, the low RPM torque of the diesel would be great. 

With ~195k km / 122 k miles on my truck, I hope I have a few years left to think about it.

• Options
    I have the '15 Canyon 3.6L with tow pkg. I still think I'd prefer gas over diesel. I have a friend with a dually diesel and she is having a tough time with water in a lot of diesel "gas" stations. The specs for running smoothly are so narrow they scare me. 

It is still a cool idea to have a diesel Canyon. I just wish they hadn't made it a 4 cyl. 2.8L. The tow specs are about the same as the 3.6L too (gas mileage..not so equal.. hehe). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    You could put 500HP in a Canyon, but given its size and weight, you probably would not want to tow much more than 7,700 LB anyways.

A big advantage if the diesel is its low RPM torque of course.  The V6 has the power to get the job done, but sometimes needs to rev pretty high to make that power, which makes it noisier than the diesel in some scenarios.  
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, rkj. Very interesting! Any idea what the price difference is between gas & diesel versions? (Just curious)
  • Options
    @irvingj, I looked around rkj's link and couldn't find a price. I want to go to the Canyon/Colorado forum and see people's experiences with the diesel. I am so intrigued. 

The tow pkg on the 3.6L Canyon has that trailing software in the ECM that makes it rev higher on the severe ups and downs before a gear change. It also has 6 gears (thanks mpg regs.. grrr) and the ECM avoids putting it in the last overdrive. The gear before is an overdrive too from what I've read in the manual.

I saw the diesel had 20 mpg towing, but I must have missed the amount it was towing and was that on the flats. I can get 16 on the flats towing (have that the "info" screen-as well as actual oil pressure, temp, transmission temp and engine temp). I do have 2 idiot gauges with engine temp and oil pressure on the dash. The city mpg of the diesel isn't as impressive. My hwy best (meaning I was driving the speed limit) has been 27 mpg and in cruise and little traffic (and flat without worn-out road surfaces). Yes, I know that's rare!!

I know some people drive HD trucks that are diesel. What's the gas mileage for you? Not including that loverly diesel Ranger!!! <3 POWAH!!!