(FOLLOW UP)Roof mount digital TV antenna ( attached to AC vent)

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
edited March 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
I have been looking for a permanent TV antenna  solution. Something that requires know adjusting or positioning. Just turn on the TV and watch when ever I am in range. I found one that is Omni directional 360* is a little smaller than others I found and less than half the price at $45. I wanted to mount it on the roof but not to the roof. With this antenna and the included bracket I was able to attach it to the AC roof vent. Know need to drill hole in the roof. The antenna cable can be feed along the keder rail to the antenna jack. This antenna also includes a 12 volt powered booster. I cut off the 110v to 12v converter and tapped into the 12v  source at the back of the   TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCV2MQB/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apip_bnEaKHbIsYezm
Pictures to follow 

1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Please let me know how it works. I love the sound of this vs having to hookup an indoor every time 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    @Jdcouple  The trailer is currently parked in my garage and it picked up 12 channels. Compared to other antennas I have tried I'm very pleased with its performance.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    What are the reception range specs that the manufacturer lists?  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    What are the reception range specs that the manufacturer lists?  
    It says up to 100 miles. I would be happy with 50 miles most of the time.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Sounds pretty nice!   I'd like to hear a future assessment when you get out and away from a large metropolitan setting and see how it goes.   I've heard reports on some of the other antenna's and have had limited success with the Mohu Leaf.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    This is the fourth antenna I have tried and so far the best. I do have to question the 100 mile claim though. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Dalehelman, this is where you lost me.

This antenna also includes a 12 volt powered booster. I cut off the 110v to 12v converter and tapped into the 12v  source at the back of the   TV”

Sorry, no techie here.  My current antenna is a non powered one on a painter pole.  I just hook the cable to the connection, turn on tv and find stations by “air”.  Not happy.  My last one was an inside winegard unit that had an amp you plugged into power. I didn’t like the hassle.  Your plug and go solution sounds good.  But,  What is a 12 volt booster?  A self contained battery?  Or is it powered thru the connection to the tv?  So, I guess I’m asking, after antenna is installed, you run a cable to the outside plugin, right?  Then what?  Sorry, bear with me here...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Upon this review, I purchased one of these. I have also tried several others that were useless. My first trial run brought in only 1 station which is 50 miles away. That was disappointing. I should be getting dozens -- my home TV uses an antenna and I get about 30 local stations. Will attempt to find a way to raise this antenna on a pole to see if it helps. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

edited October 2017
    The 12 volt booster is what increases the antennas range. I just tapped into 12volts going to the TV. I actually run the antenna cable through the roof next to the AC vent. Many people are reluctant to drill a hole in the roof. In that case the cable can be run in the keder rail down to the outside antenna jack. The antenna is Omni directional so it requires no adjusting to find tv signals. If you need more clarification lit me know. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Estancio said:
    Upon this review, I purchased one of these. I have also tried several others that were useless. My first trial run brought in only 1 station which is 50 miles away. That was disappointing. I should be getting dozens -- my home TV uses an antenna and I get about 30 local stations. Will attempt to find a way to raise this antenna on a pole to see if it helps. 
    Do you have the 12 volt booster powered up?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    @Dalehelman do you have any photos of how the coax looks? (Aesthetics)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

The 12 volt booster is what increases the antennas range. I just tapped into 12volts going to the TV. I actually run the antenna cable through the roof next to the AC vent. Many people are reluctant to drill a hole in the roof. In that case the cable can be run in the kidder rail down to the outside antenna jack. The antenna is Omni directional so it requires no adjusting to find tv signals. If you need more clarification lit me know. 
    So...  you are saying that I just mount the antenna to the vent (like that) and run the cable along the kidder rail and plug it in.  The booster thingy is not a separate cable or anything, right?  My previous antenna had a booster that needed a plugin source.  Sorry for the dumbness here.  My wife knows that when I think a thing through that she has told me, I tend to repeat it aloud to make sure I got it....

As far as reception, last year at Costco I bought a neat snow rack and can raise that guy up pretty darn far, if that is the way I wanted to put the antenna, and not permanently mounted...  

Kinds I have tried:
    The Winegard flat one

The RCA one.

Have you tried the old fashion directional kind?

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

edited October 2017
    @jkjenn The antenna cable can be hidden under the black plastic keder rail trim
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    edited October 2017
    @TerryV6. I have tried both of those antennas also, but they are very directional. I was looking for something I didn't have to aim. The booster is attached to the TV cable in. Then I cut of the 110volt to 12volt transformer and taped into the 12volt source for the TV mindful of proper polarity.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Thank you Dale!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Yes, I have the booster powered. Without the booster, I get absolutely nothing. I really like running the cable in the keder rail. Neat!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

Dale, do you think your signal from the roof will be much less than on a pole mount?  

Also, you had to cut the 110 to 12 volt transformer? Small mod required?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

@TerryV6
    Tv signals best as line of sight. So if you are in hilly or mountainous areas getting the antenna higher can help. If your plugged into 110 you don't need to modify. Or you can use a small inverter.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    I ordered one yesterday aft and it’s here already.  Amazing... Giving this a shot tomorrow, both ways mounted...  Actually, when we camp, we rarely watch tv, but, I have it and want it to work or be an option..
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    How heavy is the antennae?  I snapped off that pipe at the flange when my cover snagged on it while I was putting it on.  It is probably OK when not moving but I would be concerned about doing 65 mph down the highway with the antennae attached.  By the way I found a plastic weld that allowed me to fix the pipe.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

Well, I hooked up the wiring and attached the antenna to my snowrake pole.  It can go farther up btw..  Excuse the sloppy setup.  I'm very happy with the reception.  I get all the channels the house clearstream house antenna gets.  I didn't bring the height down to roof height.  Forgot.  My wife says its time for raking and other outside housework.  Time to get the house ready for winter as well...  grin...

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

edited October 2017
    @lapowers57
    it is attached to the vent base on two sides very secure not the removable cap. See picture. The antenna is not very heavy and in my opinion will be able to more than handle 70 mph + speeds.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    edited October 2017
    I dropped the height of the pole to the roof height, (after raking of course), and got the same reception..  What is the white cylinder on your roof below the antenna.?  I was thinking some kind of support to keep the antenna from moving up and down in high wind and wracking the roof?

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

@TerryV6
    i new you were going to ask it was just there temporarily to hold in position. No longer needed.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    edited October 2017
    Ahhh.... and here I dl'ed your pic, cropped the item and everything....  I'm wondering if the antenna, which kind of looks like the Enterprise saucer section btw, has a tendency to have an up/down movement at high speeds.  High speeds for me is 65 max.  If it did, then an extension like that, glued to the underneath and sporting some kind of gasket or bumper on the bottom might be called for.  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

@TerryV6
    I also thought the same thing, but it seems to be very stable so I am going to go without
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ok @Dalehelman, you've done it again....

I guess I have a new project.

Thanks. Love it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    I'm attaching my antenna in the next few days.  I'm liking the idea of a few more things I don't have to bring, and it's a cleaner look.  Great idea!
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Just remember you have to be within range to receive a signal. This can very greatly based on  surrounding terrain. Don't expect to be out in the middle of nowhere miles from  civilization and receive the nightly news. I have been surprised at how many channels I have received at times, and some of them are even in English and not  preaching fire and brimstone.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    I still don’t plan on tv watching while camping.  Nice to know it’s an option though.  I had a few minutes at noon to mount the antenna part.  Not too tough..  However when up there I saw a poor example of caulking.  What do think?  This weekend I’ll run the cable.  Dalehelman, I see you put in an coax elbow.  Neat.  Did you cut off much extra and put on a new connector?

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI