Options

Cover or not for outdoor storage in Winter.

I am planning on storing my T@B outside this winter.  We live in Wisconsin.  Should I get a cover for the unit or will that just invite critters to nest inside the cover?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Give it a good wash and wax and put the cover on. The cover is held in place by two bungee cords and is loose enough under the bottom to not invite rodents, but tight enough to stay on in windy conditions. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    We stored our T@B outdoors in western Minnesota with the cover  on.  Agree with Verna that the loose fit should not attract rodents.  Like we've done with our boats in the past, I tossed in a few dryer sheets to keep discourage rodent activity.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Steel wool in the bottom open drains if your T@B isn't covered underneath like the newer models.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    The risk of ice and snow damage is probably greater than that of critters, so I'd go with the cover.

If I were a critter, I'd crawl into the open ends of the plastic trim and nest up in there. There's no way I can find for them to get into the T@B from there, but cleaning them out could be a little tricky without removing the trim. When I put the camper up for the winter, I stuff a little "copper wool" (made for that purpose) into those openings.

That said, I've never heard a report of this happening, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it either way.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 935
    Because of the concern with snow and ice, I chose a "portable shelter".
    Hundreds of pounds of snow and ice can easily accumulate on the roof and damage the trailer
    It survived 4 western NY winters.
    Under $200 at Harbor Freight

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    Bob, that's a sweet set up for those of us who don't have permanent housing for our TaBs.  Do you leave it up year round?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 935
    edited November 2017
    SAM
    The portable shelter was up year round for 4 years.  The cover began to tear at the top corners and it didn't look like it would make it through the fifth winter. 
    SUNT@B had clearly become a long term accessory to our travel so...........

I built this on the side of our shed in the fall 2015.

Kind of a stretch for the topic of covers though.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    Nice!  A TaB garage!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I had a similar set up (not the nice garage, the portable). The wind played havoc and pretzeled several poles. I had the sucker tightly tied and staked down. The times I had it, we didn't have much snow or ice. It goes on sale yearly for $99 at Advanced Auto. It was a tad longer than @rfuss928's. The cheap aluminum poles in mine wouldn't have survived 4 winters. The fabric held up great!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)