Tab 400 - Weight-Distribution Hitch Not Recommended Due To C-Channel Construction

I was told that this hitch type can’t be used. My 2017 Ford Explorer (3.5V6) has a Class III hitch but the max tongue weight is 200 lb unless you use the wt-distribution hitch. So I guess I can’t buy a Tab 400?
Thanks for any input. 
2018T@B 400. Ford Explorer TV. Medina, Ohio

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Told by who?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited November 2017
    Class III Tow Package on the Explorer V6 models has a 5000 lb capacity. Tongue weight of 200 lbs can't be right.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • ChaseTheLightChaseTheLight Member Posts: 48
    Thank you both for replying. The Explorer V6 3.5L TiVCT 4WD w Class III tow package allows a weight-carrying hitch up to 3500 lbs. From 3500 to the max allowable (5000) weight they recommend a weight-distribution hitch. Fords online towing guides don’t exactly sync up (pun intended) with the owners manual. Fords online tow guide leads you to believe that weight-carrying hitches have a tongue max around 200 but rises to 600 with a Weight-distribution hitch. 
    My dealer said weight distribution hitches aren’t recommended/allowed on the C channel style trailers.   
    Since the Tab 400 has a dry weight of approx 3000, I plan to buy one and tow with the standard weight-carrying hitch. 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580

@ChaseTheLight

In reference to your statement:

My (car?) dealer said weight distribution hitches aren’t recommended/allowed on the C channel style trailers.

That sounds like an incomplete answer. There are several different WD Hitch system designs on the market with several used everyday on C-channel trailers.

What should be important is how the WD Hitch is attached to the trailer frame. Some designs use a C-Clamp style attachment that only makes contact with the upper edge of the trailer frame.

While other designs use a U-Bolt style attachment that contacts the wide sides balancing the load over the full width of the C-channel frame.

Suggest you do more research before for abandoning a WD Hitch solution. TAB-400 dry weight 2,690 pounds will most likely increase to 3,300 - 3,500 pounds loaded for an outing. You should follow the Ford Factory recommendation to use a WD Hitch to prevent TV rear axle over loading, TV rear end sag, and TV handling problems.

You might also investigate this web-site that has a very useful interactive calculator that provides TV and Trailer axle loading for WC and WD hitch configurations.

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    edited November 2017
    Thanks MuttonChops- super helpful post. Tab dealer said no to WD hitch so I will pursue that with Tab directly. I would feel more confident about the connection with WD. I read on etrailer.com that if the c channel opening faces inboard - important. Being new at all this it is difficult to know what is legit. 
    After researching further and having my dealer speak with nuCamp, I’m going with the Equalizer 400 wt-distribution hitch. This will match Fords recommendation for my Explorer given the T@b 400 max loaded weight of 3500lb. 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Thanks for sharing your final solution.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    Yes it helps close the loop for both people watching and for those contributing. Thanks for your help. 
  • driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    @ChaseTheLight how has towing the 400 with your explorer been?
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Maybe I am missing something but you have a new Explorer with the factory tow hitch.  What does the label on the hitch say?
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    I have used the Timbren rear suspension kit (load leveler) on a couple of vehicles over the years and currently have the kit on my Xterra. It makes a huge difference in the handling while towing eliminates sagging while shifting additional weight to the front axle. The kits are made for most makes and models of vehicles  and are sold by e-trailer. The kits are about $250.00 and take less than an hour to install. It took my mechanic 30 minutes to install the set on my tv. I would recommend you research Timbren kits befor going with any type of tow bar or distribution hitch. Lot of info on e-trailer site.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
    driftless said:
    @ChaseTheLight how has towing the 400 with your explorer been?
    No real experience yet- picked up in December and it is in storage. Will post in April/May after first trip. rcuomo said:
    Maybe I am missing something but you have a new Explorer with the factory tow hitch.  What does the label on the hitch say?
    Thanks for response. The hitch is Class III and labeled 5000lb max on the car. Ford literature and owners manual says use weight distribution hitch for 3500 and over. JustJohn said:
    I have used the Timbren rear suspension kit (load leveler) on a couple of vehicles over the years and currently have the kit on my Xterra. It makes a huge difference in the handling while towing eliminates sagging while shifting additional weight to the front axle. The kits are made for most makes and models of vehicles  and are sold by e-trailer. The kits are about $250.00 and take less than an hour to install. It took my mechanic 30 minutes to install the set on my tv. I would recommend you research Timbren kits befor going with any type of tow bar or distribution hitch. Lot of info on e-trailer site.
    Appreciate the detailed response. I have already gone with the Equalizer 400. Seems to be a good match for my TV and Tab400. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2019
    Can someone tell me the thickness/height if the trailer frame on the 400?  I am considering the Andersen Weight Distribution hitch and I see it fits a 5" or 6" high frame.  
  • Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    Curious why you chose the 400 vs the 600?  Factory says the tongue weight of a 400 with propane and such would be closer to 450#.   Not challenging, just curious as facts are hard to come by with the 400.
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • I mean on the T@B 400 camper.  I'm asking the height of the frame on the trailer. I'm trying to figure out which brand of weight distro hitch fits the trailer of the T@B 400 camper.
  • ColinsTab400ColinsTab400 Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2019
    I went with the Anderson.   

3324 Andersen 'No-sway' Weight Distribution Hitch – 4" Drop/rise, 2" Ball, 3", 4", 5" & 6" Frame Brackets

I only had an opportunity to drive with it about 400 miles.  I am towing with a Honda Ridgeline and had concerns about rear axle weight.  Leveled it out perfectly and absolutely no sway.  The hitch is very well made.    We used a small squared piece of metal that matched the frame size to limit the bracket angle.   I may wind up taking one more chain link off in the spring.  I took off 4 links.
    edited January 2019
    Thanks! This is very helpful. 
  • Dave123Dave123 Member Posts: 2

3324 Andersen 'No-sway' Weight Distribution Hitch – 4" Drop/rise, 2" Ball, 3", 4", 5" & 6" Frame Brackets

I only had an opportunity to drive with it about 400 miles.  I am towing with a Honda Ridgeline and had concerns about rear axle weight.  Leveled it out perfectly and absolutely no sway.  The hitch is very well made.    We used a small squared piece of metal that matched the frame size to limit the bracket angle.   I may wind up taking one more chain link off in the spring.  I took off 4 links.
    I’m getting ready to order myself this same Andersen. I’m wondering if you can tell me the size of the block used to limit the bracket angle?
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    Dave123 said:

I’m getting ready to order myself this same Andersen. I’m wondering if you can tell me the size of the block used to limit the bracket angle?
    You don't really need the block.  Andersen sells two kits with 4-3/8" brackets and they are perfect fits for the T@B 400's BAL/Norco frame.  Kit # 3343 is probably what you want or possibly # 3347 if you need an 8" drop/rise.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax

Went with Equalizer Sway Control & Weight Distribution Hitch 90-00-0600 using 600# bars.  Is is reliable, very simple and easy to use.    Odd that I don't have photo laying around of the trailer with the bars attached but this way you can see where that fitting gets connected.  

This interactive website does a good job of explaining how and why it works.
    https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works

In order to mount it to the TAB, the A-frame supports (oval red circle) need to be just under where the tub is.  Miller Trailer had some square bar stock (red rectangle) cut and used it to shim the tub up just enough to get the equalizer support into place.  I'm lead to believe this needs to be done on other weight distribution hitches as well.

Under the category of YMMV, I take the position that every dollar spent is a vote.  When deciding on which WD hitch to put on this trailer, I just couldn’t support Anderson after the owner was caught vandalizing Arches National Park and then gave what I saw as a lame apology.   This is a guy who sells products for the outdoor industry so if he doesn't know better, who does?   I have no dog in the hunt and this is just my viewpoint.
    edited February 2019
    Another cheaper alternative in the Equalizer family is the Fastway e2 94-00-00600, using 600# round bars.  You'll have to order separately from Equalizer (not Fastway) 4-3/8" link plates and L-bracket bolts to fit the frame.  The advantage to the Fastway e2 is that, for tongue weights under 800#, you can move the L brackets forward to as close as 20" from the coupler if necessary to avoid obstructions.  This would avoid having to raise the tub.  The Equalizer is the better product (4-way sway control vs. 2-way on the Fastway; trunnion bars instead of round).  But the Fastway would be easier to install.
    edited February 2019
    If I'm not mistaken, I was told the T@B 400 trailer thickness is 4.5"  4 3/8" would be a hair too short wouldn't it?  I called Equalizer and we discussed Fastway and Equalizer and they told me neither one would fit a 4.5" frame. I would have to use the 5" hole and put in a 1/2" shim.  
    robyn769 said:
    If I'm not mistaken, I was told the T@B 400 trailer thickness is 4.5"  4 3/8" would be a hair too short wouldn't it?  I called Equalizer and we discussed Fastway and Equalizer and they told me neither one would fit a 4.5" frame. I would have to use the 5" hole and put in a 1/2" shim.  
    I sent a request to nuCamp to measure the frame.  They told me it was exactly 4-3/8", which is what I suspected since they use a BAL/Norco frame.
    I used a shim
    edited February 2019
    I just remeasured the height of the frame.  4-3/8" exactly.  If you want a perfect fit (for additional cost), you'll need the following parts for the Fastway or the Equalizer:

Inside link plate (2):  https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/link-plates/inside-link-plate-for-4-3-8-inch-trailer-frames-bal-norco

Outside link plate (2):  https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/link-plates/outside-link-plate-for-4-3-8-frame-bal-norco

Mounting Bolts for L-Brackets (4):  https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/bolts-sockets/mounting-bolt-for-l-bracket-6-000-14-000-lb-models

edited February 2019
    Oh wow! This is huge! I had been trying for weeks to figure out which hitch would fit. I mean I have spent like 20 hours of time on this at least and as of 5 seconds ago still didnt have a solution! Thanks so much!!!
    edited February 2019
    robyn769 said:
    Oh wow! This is huge! I had been trying for weeks to figure out which hitch would fit. I mean I have spent like 20 hours of time on this at least and as of 5 seconds ago still didnt have a solution! Thanks so much!!!
    I have been following your travails.  The most straightforward installation for your application is the Fastway e2, 600# round bar with the additional parts I added.  Mount the L-brackets at about 22-23” from the center of the coupler and you’ll clear the tub.  No drilling, no shims, no relocations, no sweat. 

Don’t forget the ball. You’ll need a 2” ball with a 1-1/4” diameter shank.
  • Haha...more like my misadventures! I'm still quite in the intense research phase as I'm not going to tow something that I haven't confirmed as safe.  You just made my year! You may have been the one that responded to my post saying you had the fastway.  I just lost track of that one after calling equalizer and telling them the trailer was 4.5.  That just sent me down the wrong path with the wrong trailer height. 
    robyn769 said:
    Haha...more like my misadventures! I'm still quite in the intense research phase as I'm not going to tow something that I haven't confirmed as safe.  You just made my year! You may have been the one that responded to my post saying you had the fastway.  I just lost track of that one after calling equalizer and telling them the trailer was 4.5.  That just sent me down the wrong path with the wrong trailer height. 
    Nope. Not me on the Fastway. I have the e2, but it’s sitting in my basement from a previous trailer.  I’m going to try towing without a WDH for now because my Jeep has a pitiful payload and I don’t want to stress it with another 80-100 lbs of hitch weight unless absolutely necessary.  But I did some research to find out what parts I’d need to use my e2 on the 400 if it becomes ill-mannered. 
  • I have a 4 door Wrangler. Do you think the fastway is too much additional weight for it? My dealer told me the distribution of the overall weight more than compensates for the weight of the hitch. Is your jeep also the wrangler?  If so perhaps we could chat via private message after you give it a go without the WDH.