2018 Nucamp Solar Package?

I was at our local dealer today and got a copy of the 2018 Nucamp order form for the new T@bs. One of the options is a 150 Watt Solar Roof Package for $863. Any thoughts on this? Would it be worth it? We're hoping to do a decent amount of boondocking, so I know we'll get some kind of solar; but, I don't know enough yet about how many watts or what a good price would be. Thanks! 

-Tiffany

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    It depends.  Do you want to always park in the sun?  Is there sun where you park the Tab?  Do you camp east or west coast? Or is it better to be able to deploy a solar suitcase and move it to best sun exposure.  You can get solar suitcases for a lot less.  The roof mount is new to the 400 model this year.  Personally, I would wait to see how they fare.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Hi Tiffany, remember that solar is only one part of the equation, the other part is your battery size!  Solar panels only put the energy into your battery. The more watts you have, the faster that energy gets replaced. It seems like most teardrops that have solar on the roof have around 100w - 200w (just because of size and space). If you are looking to do a lot of boondocking, I'd definitely suggest an upgrade to the batteries over stock to make sure you can handle rainy and overcast days to spare.

Also remember, that unless you get an inverter, only 12v items will work when boondocking (the "normal" power outlets won't work, etc).  

I don't know the brand that NuCamp are installing.  $863 seems a bit pricey (totally depending on brand), but for factory install on the roof (all wiring done factory), and considering it should come with a good solar controller and other items, it sound pretty good to me (who isn't overly handy and couldn't install myself). For comparison, the Zamp suitcase model (like Sam references) in a comparable 160w is $765 on Amazon right now.  However, Zamp and GoPower are some of the most expensive brands and off brands can be found much cheaper!

For what it's worth, for me I'm going with the roof install, with a larger battery bank.  This is because I'll be full-timing and staying in non-campground places.  I won't be around during the day to set out a portable suitcase, and would worry about it being stolen.  The trade off is the panels won't nearly be as efficient (can't always aim them at the sun, and if I park in shade they won't really pull in anything at all!) but I like the "set it and forget it" aspect of roof panels which are always "on" and hopefully pulling in some power during the day. With a beefy battery bank, I hope to be able to keep up with my energy draw.

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I agree with everything SAM and HR_Taly said. One thing I have noticed with my 100W suitcase is that even a little shading can dramatically cut the voltage coming from the panel. If you can't maintain a high enough voltage to push power back in to the battery, your panels will have limited effectiveness. I'd like the hands-off convenience of a permanent roof mount, but I like camping in the trees more!
    2015 T@B S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I agree as well, especially about the battery amp hour capacity for both overcast/rainy days, and camping in shadier areas. I'm wondering when NuCamp will be offering 2 six volt deep cycle, higher amp hour capacity batteries as an option to a single 12v battery to go along with the "fixed" solar panel. Just seems like a more "viable" option to me. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I've used solar for around 5-6 years now and initially started out with an 80 watt Zamp panel and sold it last summer.  Solar isn't for everyone, it's not cheap and we all have our personal needs/desires/intentions in using it.  For those of us who enjoy boondocking , camping on BLM lands, etc. more than staying in parks and campgrounds with full hookups and shore power this is a valuable investment.   I believe that solar with many can also be trendy and after purchasing panels many folks end up leaving them in their garage because they are not needed on a steady basis and can be difficult to transport and set up, etc.  

I agree with the comments above in that you will find out that a single trailer battery creates challenges and that conserving energy will become a priority and focus the more you use and become familiar with your trailer and your individual power needs therein.  I recently upgraded to two 6-volt golf Interstate cart batteries and they fit perfectly in my aluminum tub.  In addition to that I purchased Zamp's 200 watt portable charge unit as my intentions are to keep the panel and I will be able to use it with any future trailer I purchase.   This set-up weighs about 50# so they are not light, but it does top off my two 6 V batteries with optimum sunlight and I couldn't be happier as I can go anywhere I want and can virtually live off grid without the need for shore power and have all the conveniences of home.   I know there are cheaper panels out there but I prefer Zamp as they were the first company to develop/sell the portable solar panels, their solar controller is waterproof, they have a very nice storage/protective suitcase for their monocrystalline panels and their products are made here in the US out in Bend, Oregon.  I've never had any issues with their products and they do offer up excellent customer service and tech support.  

I also considered the rooftop/flexible panels but do like the ability to place my panels where I want to gain access to available sunlight and have never had any major issues harvesting energy, with the exception of rainy days during inclement weather.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    @Michigan_Mike, Thanks for sharing. You answered some questions I've been pondering to boot. Nice campsite shot as well. We have similar camp chairs & LOVE 'em! Good & sturdy. Solar boondockers unite! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I, too, have the two 6V golf cart batteries with the 200 watt Zamp suitcase. In January, I went through 3 days that were very cloudy and rainy. My battery voltage never went below 12.4V, even though I was watching a bit more TV than normal. Even with a heavy cloud cover. I was gaining solar energy from the skies. I, too, credit Zamp with a superior product and the knowledge I gained here from the forum to buy the correct combination of batteries and solar panel. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @Verna, and @Michigan_Mike, Hmmm, interesting that you both have Zamp. Agree that it is a great product, although, that being said, when we got our trailer, a LOT of the panels were on back-order, and unavailable at the time. Our dealer realized the shortage, and started offering the Renogy brand as an alternative because they couldn't get the Zamp in stock in a timely manner. I'm totally happy with the Renogy 100 watt suitcase model w/controller, and have noticed quite a few folks here that have gone that direction as well. Either way, firmly believe if your're going to boondock, seriously consider solar.
    Spokane, Wa.

@ericnliz, I had an 80 watt Zamp with a 100 AH AGM battery in my Silver Shadow teardrop and it served me well. When I bought the T@B, I decided I was buying solar panels once. Yes, the 200 watt Zamp weighs 49 lbs, but I figure that means it is made of sturdy components.

At this time, I truly believe my batteries and Zamp solar panels have paid for themselves after two winters in AZ. I camp where I want during the winter in AZ and I rarely pay for an electric site. As a camp host/hostess, I really don't need to plug into the 30 amp that is provided for me because I don't need it if I deploy my solar panels. Sunny Day will need the A/C as it warms up and that is why I'll take advantage of the electric. 

And, yes, Zamp was on backorder when I ordered mine, but I had it in plenty of time for my annual winter trip to AZ. 

Did you know that Zamp makes the panels when they are ordered? That way you get the latest components available since solar power is continually evolving. 

Mike did a lot of research before he bought his 200 watt Zamp and dual 6V batteries last year, wanting quality that would last, wanting as much power for what he could afford, asking me what I thought of my 200 watts and the weight. We also discussed the flexible panels and other name brands at length. I told him how I camped in AZ, gave him my tips and tricks and experiences. He has camped without solar and with solar in his teardrops in AZ, so he had a good idea that he also wanted to buy once. That, @ericnliz, is how we both have similar setups. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna, Thanks for the insight, and info. Both you and @Michigan_Mike are valuable resources here, and I respect your knowledge and insights tremendously. Just was making a comment on how I like the flexibility of solar as well. Liz & I have only used full hook-ups once, and I don't foresee doing any less boondocking in the future.
    When we bought our solar panels, I was told that the Zamp units were 6 to 8 months out in production, and I didn't want to wait that long.....wanted to go campin' !  =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• TiffanyTiffany Member Posts: 9
    This is great information guys, thanks so much. I know we'll want solar in some fashion, but haven't had a chance to do all the research yet to figure out watts/batteries/etc. From your comments, though, it sounds like a suitcase would be more suitable to our needs. Question - if using it with people around, is there anything that you can do to help prevent theft? 
  • BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    We went with Zamp 160 watt suitcase, plugged in and was charged up and ready for the night in 3 hours. Went to bed with a full battery it was great.  Nice feeling to have a plan that works.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
    @Tiffany, I bought two heavy duty cables and padlocks from Lowes in their padlock area. I drilled a hole in each of the Zamp panels, large enough for the padlock to fit through. I either take the cable through the tongue or through one of the tires. It makes me feel better. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • RyanAndLuluRyanAndLulu Member Posts: 20
    I had the solar panels installed on the roof of my 2015 t@b and it cost me about $1,800... so I would have been happy to pay $850!!!! I wasn't big on the Zamp panel as I didn't want to risk it getting stolen. Super happy with the roof top panels!
    Girl Glamper | Austin, TX | 2018 Land Rover Discovery | 2018 T@B 400 |
    Partner in Crime: Black pug (Lulu)
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    When I decided to get a solar setup, I chose the two six volt batteries and 200W Zamp solar panel entirely on the basis of the comments on this forum.  Verna, Mike (and others) have spent enough time with this setup that I felt any research I did probably wouldn't be as valuable (or trustworthy) as getting it first hand.  I bought my T@B last November, new and special ordered, and have only had one "camping trip" in my driveway.  But I have faith this setup can't be beat.  I look forward to some extended boondocking later this year!
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    The roof solar package is an interesting option if you tend to camp in the sun, which is the case for me.  No set up or storage required, and it is probably safe from theft.  Not portable to another trailer, though.  I get along well with the Zamp 120W with the standard Group 24 battery, as per PXLs recommendation.  Someday, I would like to upgrade to 2 6v batteries.  

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2017
    Verna knows that I tend to be a bit cautious in that I am skeptical at times about jumping into any major purchase of any gear or product line. Inasmuch as I know that Zamp panels can be a little spendy they are the Cadillac of the solar industry for portable panels  and normally when I find a good product that performs, I stick with it. I also believe that you get what you pay for and this has been my experience with these panels. They also are the only ones that  build a solar controller that is waterproof and that is something I was looking for as well. 

I have spoken to the employees out in Bend Oregon at Zamp Solar and have always been treated well and given good information on a moments notice when I called them. I had a long conversation (prior to settling on the 200W portable unit) with their lead technician Jesse Assay (great guy!) about the various portable panel units they sell and although he suggested I go with a smaller setup, I went with Verna's recommendations as I was looking at things over the long haul and believe the 200W unit was my best choice.  After using this setup out in Arizona for two months I knew I'd made the right decision as it allowed me to use the trailer with confidence in any setting I chose and It generated ample energy too.  

As for protecting the unit  against theft, I took Verna's advice on that as well and purchased a 15 foot cable
    (this allows me to move/position the solar panel around the trailer easily) at Home Depot and a lock that would go through the frame of the panel and this has worked well.   I secure my panel and run the cable around the frame of the trailer,  but also believe that if somebody wants anything that you have they will figure out a way to get it! I am confident that the cable  I purchased is a good deterrent for theft and really don't worry about it if I am leaving my site.   I do recommend that people take the time to secure their gear as I believe that solar panels are eye candy to would be thieves and something is better than nothing when it comes to deterring these types of individuals.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited April 2017
    Let me add this: for some people, the crock pot method of solar (fix it and forget it) will be best. It's true you won't get as much efficiency and it will proud e poor results in shade, but there are folks who spend a lot of time away from the campsite, use very little power, and just need enough to keep the three way fridge running for a weekend or those who are OK parking in open sun. I met a couple last summer who had bought their T@b used and it already had the Unisolar panels installed. They absolutely loved their set-up. They spend their days in the back country and don't have to worrry about theft.

The other thing is that you could actually have both set-ups.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

When I first got a camper I knew nothing about solar. Reading forum posts taught me a lot, but ultimately the only way to figure out what works for your particular situation is to dive in and give it a try. Regardless, while no one doubts the quality of the Zamp products, for me $800 seemed a lot of money to spend just to practice (and possibly find out I needed a different set up-up).

So, I started with the most economical 100W kit I could get, with the idea that as my knowledge grew I could make modifications or trade up if needed. I'm not afraid to tinker, and I've already made (I hope...) some improvements for this season.

I'm not campaigning for one brand or another--you can spend your own money any way you wish. However, as Michigan_Mike and others have eloquently stated, with so many variable at play effective use of solar is not necessarily as simple as it seems. I prefer to make big investments based on a solid understanding of my own specific needs. 
    2015 T@B S
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I know that Zamp is expensive, but my dealer, who no longer carries the T@B unfortunately, ordered the item through his dealer discount without any mark up, which is substantial.  So I think I paid about $450 for the 120w system, which is quite reasonable.  I don't know why other dealers aren't offering this.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389

gooselady said:

I know that Zamp is expensive, but my dealer, who no longer carries the T@B unfortunately, ordered the item through his dealer discount without any mark up, which is substantial.  So I think I paid about $450 for the 120w system, which is quite reasonable.  I don't know why other dealers aren't offering this.

You got a very good price!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2018
    Tiffany said:
    I was at our local dealer today and got a copy of the 2018 Nucamp order form for the new T@bs. One of the options is a 150 Watt Solar Roof Package for $863. Any thoughts on this? Would it be worth it? We're hoping to do a decent amount of boondocking, so I know we'll get some kind of solar; but, I don't know enough yet about how many watts or what a good price would be. Thanks! 

-Tiffany
    Does that package include an inverter and 110v jacks installed inside the 320?
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • johntreacyjohntreacy Member Posts: 31
    ecyfoto said:
    Does that package include an inverter and 110v jacks installed inside the 320?
    There is no inverter. The panels help charge the 12 volt system. The 110 outlets are only useful on shore power. 
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 
    2017 Tacoma SR5 AC 4x4 w/ 6 cyl Towing Package

edited January 2018
    Even if an inverter were included, I doubt you'd get much 120V juice from a 150W system. As johntreacy suggested, the solar panels are really just a trickle charger for your 12V deep-cycle battery.

I'm no solar guru, however, so someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
    2015 T@B S
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    If the inverter was built into the trailer and wired to the plugs, you could just plug things in and go.  It would be just like plugging an inverter into one of the "cigarette" plugs, without having a separate inverter floating around inside the trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Almost all of our campsites are in wooded areas, and have full or partial shade.  A roof mounted solar setup would not help us a lot. 

Being able to move panels into the sun is the only way for us to harvest a significant amount power from the sun. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • johntreacyjohntreacy Member Posts: 31
    rkj__ said:
    Almost all of our campsites are in wooded areas, and have full or partial shade.  A roof mounted solar setup would not help us a lot. 

Being able to move panels into the sun is the only way for us to harvest a significant amount power from the sun. 

Doesn't that also have some pretty low limits for cable length? 
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 
    2017 Tacoma SR5 AC 4x4 w/ 6 cyl Towing Package

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited January 2018
    rkj__ said:

Doesn't that also have some pretty low limits for cable length? 
    My solar panel has about 12ft of cable I think.  That allows me to position my little panel on the left side, right side, or in front of my T@b, which is helpful for chasing patches of sunlight. 

I have not done the math, but I think you would need to have a very long length of extension cable before your losses would be comparable to putting a panel in partial shade. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Has the technology improved? I had the impression that if even part of a panel, fixed or portable, was shaded, the output of the whole was significantly reduced.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Look up "bypass diodes" in solar panels. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi