Picking up our new 400 Saturday

BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
Just got a call that our new 400 came in today. Gonna pick it up on Saturday.  If anyone has a checklist for setting up or closing down please let me know. As I have read on the forum there seem to be some nuances related to the electrical and Alde system that can be prevented with a little attention to detail.

Thanks
BigGrover
2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
Central Alabama

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Congrats! Yes, it seems that if the Aide us set to "on" before plaguing in, you are moree likely to blow a fuse. It also seems that this issue is mostly mitigated with an Electrical Management System, like the Progressive Industries unit.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Make sure the lug wrench with your tow vehicle fits the lugs on the 400.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    A folding 4 way lug wrench is what I use....takes all the guess work out of the equation!
    @BigGrover, Congrats. Go camp in your driveway, push all the buttons, twist all the knobs & get familiar with your new trailer. Don't be afraid to be nosy & look in all the nooks & crannies! You might find some pleasant surprises. Fill out ALL the warranty cards, and mail 'em in. It's also helpful when you're checking out the new components to have the manual for that item handy so you can follow through the procedures. Be sure to take a peak at the trouble shooting pages as well. Good info in there as well. Most of all....get out there & have fun!!! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @BigGrover congratulations!  We had a friend come to our walk thorough and he used my phone to video the whole thing for future reference. I also brought a can of silicone spray (others have their faves, too) to spray the ball, hitch handle and underside of the hitch. Don't be afraid to apply spray liberally, as the hitches tend to be stiff the first few times they are used. I also copied off pages from this forum that showed fuse locations, and other things, and have them in a notebook with the manuals in the Tab.  I also figured out how to use One Note and have an entire section of Tab stuff that I can access from my laptop or phone. Have fun with it, don't feel too overwhelmed 'cause whatever you run into someone here can walk you through it! Have fun and enjoy the journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    Myself while driveway checkout with both shore power and solar/battery and propane in the cold weather for days, I took many photos of the included hardware such as inverter, converter, solar, Alde, entertainment center, plumbing, settings, etc...

I now have all model #'s, serial #'s for referance and then register everything, got their manuals and photos to assist myself if and when questions arise and they will, lol

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Congrats Big Grover!  Know you have been waiting and that you will love the 400.  A large 3 ring binder and a 3hole punch comes in handy for all the paper work.  Carry ours and have pulled it out for reference several times.  Enjoy!  you will want to reset the mixing valve for hotter water!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Thanks, I plan to get the dealer to walk me through everything and increase the water temperature before leaving the lot.  Gonna take it home to pack it and will hook everything up there for a couple of days before taking it to a camp ground.  I have a concrete pad and 30 amp RV outlet in my bCk yard.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    Check your windows by opening them all the way to make sure they stay in their tracks. Our front window was not completely seated in it’s track and almost fell completely off, and could have bent several parts.
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
    Thanks
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    Check the screens our front one was defective.
    Ok, thanks
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • knoxville1915knoxville1915 Member Posts: 60
    @BigGrover Congratulations! We love our 400 and know you will love yours. Be prepared to get LOTS of people wanting to see it wherever you camp!

2018 T@B 400 (Rol@nd) towed by 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (C@lgon)
    Don't know what your tool supply is but I found that Lowes has a neat screw driver that has multiple tips all packed in a belt clipable package.  The most used tip for me is the #2 square drive tip.  Nu Camp uses a lot of the square drive screws.  the product is in their Kobalt line and was around $16 for the one I got.  I keep it in the truck with the other tools.  Have the dealer go throught the Alde fan speed selection.  We found for us to have it on automatic low speed allows the A?C to cycle and the fan is constntly on low.  The A/C cycling on and off gets noticed more if the fan is not on constantly.  Just a personal preference for us.  Enjoy!
    Thanks for the advice, good to know about the square drive tips.  Do you have the visor for your 400?  The dealer here doesn't stock them and just wondered if they were worth the money?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    It's best not to tow without tools.... buy a small tool box and fill it with a few essentials. At a minimum carry an adjustable wrench, a set of channel lock pliers, philips, square and regular screw driver, wire cutters, electrical tape and some tie wraps. For wheel and tire service, buy the proper 1/2 inch socket to fit the wheel lugs and a 1/2 inch torque wrench. You can pick these for next to nothing at Harbor Freight (do not buy the beam style wrench). A nice breaker bar is also helpful to carry since a torque wrench shouldn't be used as a breaker. You might also carry a tire stem/valve tool and a tire pressure gauge. It's nice to carry a two part PVC epoxy (hoping you won't ever need it) and some duct tape. Some lengths of 6, 8 and 10 gauge wire can be handy as are spare fuses..... Be sure to toss a few pairs of rubber gloves and some rags in the box. You'll soon figure out what the gloves are for. The rags will keep the tools from rattling around and you'll know when to use them.....
    If you don't use these on your own setup you can be pretty sure you'll use them to help someone else out.
    The previously mentioned can of silicon spray is also a very good thing to bring along to spray on your hitch as needed. Good luck.....keep enough air in the tires and re-check the wheel lug torque after the first 100 miles or so...

Oh...and take a cordless drill with a proper sized socket to fit the stabilizer raiser/lowerer nut. The hand crank that's provided works, but the cordless drill saves lots of time (especially in the rain).

Thanks for the suggestions, most of the stuff I already have except the torque wrench.  I just bought an inflater to fit my Ryobi cordless drill battery.  It has a built in gauge but I need to check it's accuracy.  I had cut the handle off a stabilizer crank handle to fit the jacks on my old camper so I carried a cordless drill, charger and various bits with me and will do that with my new one.. I have a 1/2" breaker bar.  The epoxy is something I never thought of so that's a definite add. I am in Alabama, needless to say duct taple is a major staple here. I have a roll in every vehicle.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,393
    Got a visor when tear drop shop had them on sale a month or so ago.  Installed in the shop and think it will work great for us.
    By the way we towwith the 2016 frontier crew cab and I use a 2inch drop hitch flipped over
     Giving a 19 inch top of ball measurement. I also have the timbren see suspension.  Trails level this way.
    Thanks all for your comments and responses!  I traded in a trouble plagued Jayco 16XRB on my 400.  I bought it new two and a half years ago and every time we used it something needed repair.  The dealer had a two month turn around on warranty repairs so they had it over 6 months out of the tome we had it.  Hope we have better luck with the T@b!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    atlasb said:
    By the way we towwith the 2016 frontier crew cab and I use a 2inch drop hitch flipped over
     Giving a 19 inch top of ball measurement. I also have the timbren see suspension.  Trails level this way.
    Thanks much, I had Sumosprings installed.  Gonna see where an inverted 2" drop will put my ball height today!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    Don't mean to overload info, when I pull our 400, I have all the screens up position and the blinds down.  You can then see through to see what traffic is behind you on the road. Be easy with
    the screens and blinds, spreading your hands to even the pressure on them.  They are quite wide. 
    @BigGrover Let me relay a story about the company that builds your T@B 400: we bought our 2017 last May, took it on a test camp in Gettysburg that evening, which provided a convenient rainstorm...part of which we experienced inside our trailer in our bed as a steady stream of water entered our T@B seemingly at multiple points from the stargazer window. The next morning, we took it straight back to the dealer, who spent a few days trying to ascertain the origin of the leak. They could not identify the problem, so nüCamp got involved. They came and took the camper back to Sugar Creek and figured out that the leak was originating in the clearance lights located above the stargazer window. Now here's the amazing part: they fixed the issue, gave us back out trailer to use while they began to build a brand new one for us. When the new one was finished, they swapped out the 2017 for the 2018! So, rest assured, you are getting a product that is backed by one of the best companies employing some of the best people anywhere!

atlasb said:
    Don't mean to overload info, when I pull our 400, I have all the screens up position and the blinds down.  You can then see through to see what traffic is behind you on the road. Be easy with
    the screens and blinds, spreading your hands to even the pressure on them.  They are quite wide. 
    Atlasb, I can't get too many tips or too much advice. I appreciate it.  I am glad to learn from other's experiences.  It can save me wrar, tear and $$$$
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @BigGrover we can’t divulge all our tricks or else you wouldn’t have any really good campfire stories!  :rofl:
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    Believe me, my last Jayco gave me enough for a lifetime of stories!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @BigGrover Safe travels and happy camping!!!! Another Saturday pickup. Just in time to start to do mods before getting out in the great weather we are going to have. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Yep, have to install a shelf for my CPAP and get organizers for the cabinets.  Trying to figure out how to maximize the closet space.  Have a visor on order.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    We did built in but removable shelves in the closet. As far as your c-pap ill vet you could put it on the bottom of the closet and drill a hole through the cubby by the bed for the connections.