Options

Weight distribution and anti wobble device

We have ordered the Tab 320 CS-S. It will arrive with the outback front hitch equipment, carrier and additional storage options as well as the battery and Propane cover. I want to install a weight distribution and anti sway device on the hitch. I have ordered the Fastway e2 unit. It is the smallest one I could find but after pulling a similar trailer across Texas last weekend, I know I need some assistance with these units in heavy wind and big truck traffic. Does anyone have any suggestions on set up and operational usage with these units. I have been pulling for decades, but never used one of these units. Thanks in advance.

WrongWayRex

Comments

• Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    edited February 2018
    The E2 is a good weight equalizing anti-sway device. i would think it is overkill for a CS.Your dealer should set it up for you when you get your trailer. i used one for a Jayco I owned.  My only issue was the weight of the hitch head when putting it on and taking it off.  When we were camping I left it on the tow vehicle and pulled the bars to where the ends were under the rear bumper of my truck, they stayed in place while we drove to sight see or to run errands. what do you have for a tow vehicle?
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    WrongWayRexWrongWayRex Member Posts: 7

Our TV is currently a 2016 JK Jeep two door, automatic with V6 and 4:11 gears. We are pulling a TAG Max right now and waiting for the new trailer to be delivered in a few weeks.

• Options
    Have the dealer set it up.  Get a measuring tape and measure (on level ground) from the ground to the bottom of your fender wells on one side using the center of your hubs as a guide before they do the install and set up.  When hooked up to tow and bars attached the rear well should not drop more than 1 1/2" and the front not raise more than 1 1/2" when properly adjusted. 1" is really good.  The rear end should never be higher after hookup.  You can google equal i zer installation instructions and they have pics.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    IMHO and after towing a T@B over 12,000 in the last 3 years. An  equalizing hitch is not needed and way over kill. It has also been discussed that the “C” channel tongue is not designed for one.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    We have attended at least 6 T@B rally’s and probably seen 150 plus T@Bs. I don’t remember seeing one with an equalizing just the standard ball mount. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Be careful with what you load into both vehicles. The JK is not rated to tow that much weight.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @WrongWayRex, I wholeheartedly agree with @Dalehelman about not needing an anti-sway or equalizer hitch set-up. I have towed our 2017 t@b 18,000 miles through 34 states in every kind of condition. Perfect weather, smooth level road, sever thunderstorm with 60+ mph wind, downgrade at night through the Sierra Nevadas. 45 mph cross wind through Oklahoma, and just about everything in between, and I don't even know the t@b is there. Been passed by and passed heavy rigs on the road and the standard ball hitch is all I think I will ever need. My tv is a 2005 gmc envoy xl with the standard in-line 6 cylinder. Now has over 160,000 miles on it and the combo does fine. We move more slowly upgrade than a lot of other vehicles, but we get there. There has never been an instance where we felt the towing to be even near the edge of safety or necessity. Btw, husband was a commercial rig driver for over 40 years and feels the same about the t@b. Standard hitch is not only adequate, but overly so. I'm the distance driver, he parks it. -Denise.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We tow with an Xterra which is a short wheelbase rig like a Jeep.  We put a simple friction bar on ours after a couple of instances of wagging.  It only happened a few times, probably because the tongue was too light.   Agree with the other's that a WD hitch is overkill. 

Now that I've added weight to the tongue with 6v GC batteries and moving the spare up front I might not need the sway bar at all.  Something to think about if you are going to add weight to the tongue.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Ok, I looked st the JK tow capacity and it's 2,000 lbs!  How much does your CS weigh? If it is over 2,000 lbs loaded I would say you are in potential trouble. If you are involved in an accident your own insurance company might abandon you. A 1 800 I Sue 4 U attorney would have a field day, at your expense, particularly with your bank account. But I am a risk averse person, and would never exceed mfr recommendations .
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Really should not go much over 75% of tow capacity which is less than the dry weight of the TaB.  Your Jeep may be OK for the TaG, but risky for a TaB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited February 2018
    My sis' BF has a Jeep with the 2k limit. He could pull the Outback T@B, but felt a positive difference with a friction bar for sway. If you are going to continue to pull with your Jeep, it's really not a bad item to have a small weight distribution setup. Still have to be careful, but if you are a diehard "Jeeper" you've dealt with this still before. It can be done, just watch your transmission temp and alternator output and keep it slow.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    In my opinion, you are really going to struggle trying to pull a T@B 320 with a JK.  I have a 2017 JKU with a 3,500 tow rating and 350 hitch rating and it struggles if going up a hill, pulling against the wind, etc.; in short, anything but straight away on the freeway.  I had it on cruise control one time on the freeway and was bucking a head wind.  When it started going up a 3% grade hill, it down shifted to 2nd gear (while going 65mph) and scared the bejeezus out of me!  Needless to say, I don’t do cruise control anymore; I just slow down.  I will say that it has no problems pulling at slower speeds on two lane highways or on the backroads.  The Jeep is “torquey” at low speeds but terrible at high speeds.  Fortunately, we bought the Jeep and T@B more for backroads camping than freeway cruising.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    In my opinion, you are really going to struggle trying to pull a T@B 320 with a JK.  I have a 2017 JKU with a 3,500 tow rating and 350 hitch rating and it struggles if going up a hill, pulling against the wind, etc.; in short, anything but straight away on the freeway.  I had it on cruise control one time on the freeway and was bucking a head wind.  When it started going up a 3% grade hill, it down shifted to 2nd gear (while going 65mph) and scared the bejeezus out of me!  Needless to say, I don’t do cruise control anymore; I just slow down.  I will say that it has no problems pulling at slower speeds on two lane highways or on the backroads.  The Jeep is “torquey” at low speeds but terrible at high speeds.  Fortunately, we bought the Jeep and T@B more for backroads camping than freeway cruising.
    Most mfg mention that cruise control should not be used while towing.  In the owner manual.

and it is not every body who know how to quickly react if something happen when cruise control is on, and I am not just talking about what is in front of you, but also lost of control du to anything.  So adding a trailer to cruise cntrole, not a good idea.  People become to relax and off guard.

not a good idea with a trailer, no matter what towing capacity you have.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Good insights regarding cruise control, though they are addressing different issues.

As per pthomas745's post, I agree that the use of cruise control will cause no harm to a vehicle that is otherwise adequately equipped to tow the load.

I also agree with Luckyj that anything that removes the driver from direct control of the vehicle will likely slow response time in the event of an emergency. How much is matter of debate. Checking your phone, fiddling with your radio, or arguing with your companion over directions probably make you far more of a road hazard than towing with cruise control.

Of course, nobody here does any of those things, right?  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    *finishes munching on Reeses white chocolate peanut butter egg* Who me? :innocent:  Eat and drive? Distracted chasing that one jelly bean down the seat? :innocent: Naw. Never. :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, Not EVEN to mention Harvey lookin' all over the place for dropped cheese puffs! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @ericnliz, it's not him looking for 'em, it's when the little fuzzball gets stuck head-down between the seat and console that I have to grab both feets, er paws and give a pull. I feel like he's taken lessons from Winnie-the-Pooh! :)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Best keep him outa' the ol' "Honey Pot". I'm gonna end this one now afore I feel the "sting" of the infamous "Magic Wand"! :o;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    I don't even want to mention what I tow with because I don't want to deal with the well-meaning comments (you'll note I don't recommend my set up, etc).  I've towed my T@B well over 3,000 miles full-timing it the last few months across the US.  This community is great, and we all try to share experience to make sure people are safe, particularly as T@Bs tend to be purchased by a lot of people who have never towed before. 

When I picked up my T@B and it was empty, it shocked me how much it bounced around and jerked, more than anything I've ever towed.  It really settled down once I "moved in" even though I am a minimalist and tend to keep weight to a minimum.

That being said, I have considered adding a small anti-sway friction bar, you can find them for around $50 on eTrailer.  I know that a weight distribution setup is not recommended for a T@B.  I've always felt safe, but I hear you about crossing Texas!  When I went through there I think the speed limit in some places was 80MPH and those trucks do whip around you.  I never felt out of control, but I thought it might be worth the relatively small investment for some piece of mind.  

@WrongWayRex the best of luck whatever you decide, and please let us know what setup you go with and how it works for you!

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    @HR_Taly if you do install one of those friction sway control devices. It is important that you disconnect it before you back up. They can bind and it is possible to bend the trailer tongue. You can backup straight but if you are jack knifing into a site be very careful.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    ScottG said:
    Good insights regarding cruise control, though they are addressing different issues.

As per pthomas745's post, I agree that the use of cruise control will cause no harm to a vehicle that is otherwise adequately equipped to tow the load.

I also agree with Luckyj that anything that removes the driver from direct control of the vehicle will likely slow response time in the event of an emergency. How much is matter of debate. Checking your phone, fiddling with your radio, or arguing with your companion over directions probably make you far more of a road hazard than towing with cruise control.

Of course, nobody here does any of those things, right?  ;-)
    Thing is, people on cruise control have even more time to look at there phone.

the thing I have about using cruise controle while towing, no mather if your TV can do it or not, is that some people do not know how to quickly react in en emergency situation, and adding a trailer is adding one major thing that will make a TV react in totaly different way in an emergency situation.  It can even create the situation.

but hey, we all know someone who text and faceplook while driving, that says he or she can do it and still be safe.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC